PvP Board Contest Discussion

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Stexe, Apr 21, 2015.

1. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Regarding Testlum's latest submission, it's slightly against rules and may make for some stalemates. I'm not totally against that. I think time management is a thing and I've won several games with it. And lost several as well. So I heartily support Adderstone for PvP... after all of my submissions have gotten in. So like sometime next year. =)

2. Is the PVP contest still active? Is there a winner announcement thread? I see tons of boards posted in the submission list but I have only seen like 3 of them in MP matches over the years.

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Still active. They announce winners in the announcement threads that release them.

4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Yes. There haven't been actual announcement thread, but you can check the wiki and release announcements for the "winning" boards so far.

Two sets of four player-created boards have been introduced:
    Release 2.107.0 (28 May 2015)
    • Arena Crescent
    • Summoning Race
    • Maztec Melee
    • Forgotten Temple
    Release 3.113 (15 March 2016)
    • The Fool's Trap
    • Frozen Tenement
    • Oasis
    • Mushroom Glade

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Actually there's a third—this past Halloween rotation :)

This contest is very much active but actually implementing winners is a sort of back burner, when-we-get-to-it thing. Hope that makes sense!

adajon and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  6. cool....thanks for the replies!/

7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I really like Adajons pipeline map for multiple reasons: slightly different art, yet retaining symmetry, the room makes sense logically as an idea and a story, and finally the sight-lines are sneaky (a burffter's delight.)

adajon likes this.
  8. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

@kontodogrania1
    You will have to edit some of your submissions.

9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Konto, these are some beautiful submissions, what was the thinking behind the large base spawn points?

10. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I reasonably sure you need 3 small base spawn points for each side.

11. kontodogrania1

kontodogrania1 Goblin Champion

a bit of randomnes nothing more

12. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@kontodogrania1 I really like the latest submission. It's vast, interesting, favors wizards, and flight, and free move. Art-wise, I'm wondering if adding some snow splashes in the water would smooth it out and make the sand feel less boxey. Or try some dirt decals?
    Great work, I'd love to help playtest it for you. If I'm on when you are, hit me up for a casual.
    -y0uthpast0r

13. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@PULSEFIRE and @PULSEFLECT , you mark the victory squares using the treasure tab in upper doodads and then clicking on the golden squares. On the second map, the computers seem to be just hanging in the air, I would recommend tying them in more to their surroundings.

14. PULSEFLECT

PULSEFLECT Orc Soldier

Sure.
    The computers are supposed to be coming out of the columns, by the way.

15. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@BlackVoidDeath great work! So many maps. What inspired this onslaught of mapmaking?
    My one suggestion would be to add some difficult terrain on each map. You know how critical that is for hidey wizards.
    Of the three, the last submission is my favorite and seems to add something new with a large open space in the center.

16. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I just had an idea of creating maps with a focus on a split between two elements.
    Tried to create a sort of elemental set of maps.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  17. kontodogrania1

kontodogrania1 Goblin Champion

Added 12 volcano+citadel themed maps. Reworked some mine old maps and tried to make them more "competetive" ,reduced decals cleared middle areas. reduced shadows . all maps have same impasable terrain(2 exceptions but they are intuitive and easy to spot) all maps have same difficult terrain (no exceptions)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Scarponi likes this.
  18. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Knights of Unity, will you be implementing new ranked boards from player submissions like in the official submission thread sometime in the future? It's been a long while since new boards have been seen.

19. Sir Civil

Sir Civil Administrator Staff Member

Sure, sounds fun. We will take a look at the ranked boards.

20. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@kontodogrania1, some interesting ideas amongst your more recent onslaught of boards $;^ J (I especially like the one-sided feel of "beach"), but I just wanted to point out a lot of them strand VSs for more than a Dash's distance, thus disqualifying them with the current rules.

In other news, yaaaay at @Sir Civil taking up the banner! ~ although (the real reason I bring this up) @Flaxative's OP says to contact him about full rotations' worth of maps. Perhaps no longer accurate? $:^ }

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    fatcat__25, Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.