Mauve Manticore #14

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Pawndawan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Thread for MM #14 praises / curses and advice. :)

Level 1: Acid, Lava, and Pig by @Vlamona
    Quite hard / tricky. A bit of a puzzle and a bit of draw dependant, since Acid Fiend's deck feels bit random. You need a good mixture of acid and control spells to keep enemies at safe distance. Managed to win on third or fourth try (on test server). Second time won on third try (with 1 HP on Lava Spitter).

This map has three characters, though the pig usually just plays move cards. The post/victory description was funny! :D

Level 2: Core Processor by @BlackVoidDeath
    I thought I would be be defeated when I lost the Captain, but it seems it's not the end. Neat. A bit challenging, but really fun battle. Won on first try both times, despite me forgetting that Rumbling Charge damages all adjacent characters and thus killing one of my spiders. :p

This map has only two characters / minion groups, so one player has to sit out if playing co-op with three people.

Level 3: Panic! at the Retirement Home by @Wandere
    Nice story / theme. The old ones still got it, so this was quite easy. Won on first try both times. Nevertheless, it was fun to play with characters that haven't been featured much (if not all) in previous Mauve Manticores.

This map has four different characters and all of them are quite important / useful, so this is quite good co-op level. :)

2. Assassine

Assassine Kobold

Level 3 probably easier than intended because the spawners dont spawn anything^^

timeracers likes this.
  3. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

Thanks @Pawndawan for the nice comments and thread, as ever. :)

I really don't want to seem ungrateful or salty, but this is perhaps some of it. The version I submitted did allow the eggs to spawn, and I guess that was taken away in editing. I think it was a little more challenging that way. I hope it's still fun enough being able to Brainhook tear through a bunch of younglings, though. :p

Killer74 and Pawndawan like this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No that sounds like a major bug... I'll look into it ><;

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No it isn't because the eggs say they only spawn things if a friendly group is of the specified type.

6. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I liked this MM, some interesting monster choices here, and not a single 36-deck MP character in sight. :p

I like the concept of the first map, using a combination of acid and lava against melee enemies feels very satisfying after having enemies do it to you and using the combination of TK and lava to get the pig to the victory square is a nice little puzzle. But once you figure out the trick it becomes annoying if you don't actually get that crucial TK, since you need at least one of them. First few tries it took me too long to get the TK while on my winning try I got 3 move cards on the pig and a TK on the first turn.

The second map is easily the most hectic and random map of them all though, it definitely seems more fit to be a first map than a second map. Still, it's a lot of fun to see so much crazy stuff flying around, especially when the enemies start a domino effect of drawbacks, failed erratic rolls and rad pulses. :p

Really like the third map, excellent theme as well as character/enemy choices! I hope it's fixed soon so people can enjoy the map the way it's meant to be played. Nothing bats swatting flies with a Brainhook.

7. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

You can win on the first map without using a TK on the pig. I won without one (on the 16th try).

BlackVoidDeath and timeracers like this.
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The swarm group isn't spawning at the start of battle, so the spawn card isn't working. That actually IS a bug, because the intended behavior is different from what's happening. I will fix the scenario at the first opportunity, @Wandere, don't worry about this.

CT5, BlackVoidDeath, Wandere and 2 others like this.
  9. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Did you bump it up to six groups for that battle?

Level 1: Good puzzle, but relies a bit on luck/good starting hand, as far as I can make out; assuming I did the right thing. Took me lots of restarts.

Level 2: Pretty cool, very random (but in a good way).

Level 3: Great concept/theme, though the battle itself is quite easy (pending more enemies).

10. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Fun maps as always, Flax has a great taste!

The first map was a very fun idea and it feels great having a hoard of living and dead fighters charging at you while your two characters calmly block them with acid and fire and your pet pig franticly tries to draw movement - its a shame its very draw reliant on the pig and even though I beat it on my second try, I can see how it can be hard.

It always warms my heart to see my map added to the MM collection - and always a surprise when I see which one Flax picks! This map has many ways of winning and little additions and surprises - like how Pawn noticed that you dont lose if the Captain dies and that the spiders respawn by themselves, but I mainly like it because of, how most players called it, "hectic and random" :p

I love the story, I love the characters/flavouring, I love the attention to detail on the board - I love this submission, I have a feeling like this is one of those "bouts of genius" maps which you get once in a while. Its a shame that it got bugged out - I may have to revisit it after its fixed! :)

Wandere likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I can beat the first scenario reliably. If you're relying on your pig's draw luck, I think there's a better way. ;)

12. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

What, other than using fire terrain to bypass the difficult terrain and Telekinesis/Winds Of War to push the pig a few more spaces?

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yep!

14. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

You certainly don't need Acid Fiend's control cards to move the Pig around. Lava Spitter's and Pig's decks are quite consistent, so you definitely can reach the VP with just moves and lava terrain on round 4 and sometimes on round 3.

Flaxative likes this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'd like to plug the Mauve Manticore contest in this thread. You can win 500 pizza per published scenario, and we always need more submissions!! Your name and creation will be immortalized in Card Hunter forever, which, you know, is pretty cool, 'cause Card Hunter is a sweet game.

Submit in this thread: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/mauve-manticore-submission-thread.4544

If you're new to mapmaking, why don't you try asking @Vlamona, @Wandere, or @BlackVoidDeath for tips? They all seem to know what they're doing!

16. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

There's a map making tutorial on Youtube:

17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

In my hands, the only consistent decks seem to belong to Security Robots and the like. I've beaten the first map, but not reliably.

BlackVoidDeath and Pawndawan like this.
  18. Darkgryf

Darkgryf War Monkey

I actually defeated the first scenario by moving the lava spitter onto the difficult terrain VP and using acid nonstop on the hallway. seems there is a more reliable way to beat it than this :)

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You don't have to be a club member to use the editor.

20. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Why's everyone running for the far VP in #1? You have 4 rounds to kill 4x 19HP skellies and 2x 10HP parrybots.

As long as the far pair of skellies doesn't linger around the corner, two turns on lava + one turn on acid + acid sprays/jets + random fire attacks takes care of things nicely.