The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I wouldn't stress it in this thread, the TDD should have the links needed but you are right he should link TDD if he is going to make mistakes like that.

2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

A thousand apologies oh omnipotent one. I am but a mere mortal. If you want mistake free reviews then you best avert your eyes and ride that high horse off into the sunset.

3. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

This makes me wonder if I should even bother following this thread if everything I post gets abused.

4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Don't take it to heart, BVD. PMs work really well for pointing out errors. Just sayin'. ;)

timeracers likes this.
  5. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Sorry if that looked like it was directed at you. It wasn't. I appreciate people pointing out mistakes so I can correct them. I was miffed about a different post but I'm all cooled down now and ready to make fresh new glaring errors.

6. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

If it was my fault, sorry. I tend to be slightly more awkward with people online! I only am voicing my opinion on the game! You do great work peon! Spelling mistakes are common, I am also in a bad mood because staff of the fire god is an item I got super excited for at first, but then found out its not good. I vented my fustration by buying chests, got myself vampires blade and felt better. I really wish that I find a vibrant pain soon, so I can sell my second bejeweled shortsword and cure my OCD of owning two of the same item. I only want one of each, until I can stop caring.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  7. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Try Double-edged Sword, it's pretty useful for an uncommon.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bendolth's Pauldrons (U)
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Barge is a fantastic control card, especially on a character that you don't want enemies to hassle. Unfortunately, being a melee attack pretty much guarantees it will run into a block. Being a tokenless armor is a huge plus. While no other divine armor has controlling cards like Barge, there are plenty of decent tokenless options that don't bust the piggy bank. I could see equipping Bendolth's Pauldrons if you happen to come across one in a chest but would not purchase for essentially one copy of Barge.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayer
    Barge is never dead but it doesn't have much value aside from the damage. There are fewer maps with victory squares and if you just want another attack you can equip Glowing Hide Armor. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Dark Chain Shirt (E), Glowing Hide Armor (C), Ritual Straps (R), Rusted Angel Mail (U): tokenless
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Barge is a great card but I don't like relying on melee attacks as control cards when you don't have many attacks to begin with. They get blocked more often than I'd like. I'd rather have 2 solid cards from any of the other tokenless divine armor options.

Epics
    Nimbus Blade (P)
    Gives you good attacks to go with your Impenetrable Nimbuses. Duality Mace is a little easier on the tokens if you just want the Impenetrable Nimbuses.

Pol's Prayer Beads :(
    Mass Frenzy goes best in a melee party while Cleansing effects generally go with wizards. There are better items for both.

Xander's Boots
    (P)
    Fine boots if you want Arcane Aura but Ulalia's Boots are cheaper to equip and nearly the same if not better.

Notable Rares
    None

(B)est of the Best
    This item is the best of the best of the best. With honors. It is not only powerful but also fits in well established multiplayer or farming archetypes.

(N)iche
    This is a great item but fits in a very specific build. You should only consider purchasing if you have that particular strategy in your sights.

(P)layable
    Not the best. Not the worst. This item is simply solid all around and I believe could see play. If that isn't enough of a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is. Oh, and you can go ahead and assume that any item that falls into other categories is playable as well. I will not list things that I would not be willing to play myself.

(U)nique
    There is nothing quite like this item. Its cards or combination of cards are not found on other items of the same slot or not on other items period. If this item catches your fancy you should take a second look because you won't find anything similar elsewhere.

(V)alue
    There may be better options but this item won't bust your piggy bank.

:confused:
    You could probably engineer a situation where this item wouldn't suck but it's more trouble than it's worth.

:(
    This item makes me sad and will probably make you sad too if you buy it. There are no circumstances where I'd consider playing this item.

9. snickersimba

thanks seth! I forget I have that occasionally. Im surprised no one has agreed with me on renaming the daily deal to the daily disapointment. ESPECIALLY since the weekend is coming up and I will be unable to acess cardhunter until monday! Damnit..... I like the fact we haven't seen focused healer, vampires blade or any of the vampire items in DD.

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

From the Name the Daily Deal Merchant thread, Aug 7, 2014
    I'll be off the grid this weekend, too. I hope the DD has good stuff I don't need.

11. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

A) Many of us forum regulars have played the game for a long time and remember when there wasn't a Daily Deal shop at all and Randimar Rarities had far less items to sell.
    B) For me getting all the items I want ASAP from the shops would mean that the only reason to play is to get enough money to buy all the items that I want. (and I would have stopped playing long time ago)
    C) I don't care what epics or rares are in shops; those can easily be gained buy playing the game. That's why I don't assume that Daily Deal has a must have legendary every week.

Basically what I'm saying is that good things come to those who wait, patience is a virtue, etc...

Pawndawan, Jarmo and Sir Veza like this.
  12. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Sundersong (P)
    Sundering Strike is a useful card but similar to Unnerving Strike in that it will simply be an 8 damage card a lot of the time. While Sundering Strike has the added benefit of removing Toughness, it also has the potential to whiff if the armor doesn't trigger. It is ok to have a couple copies of Sundering Strike as insurance against Reliable Mail or Enchanted Harness stacking but when you put a bunch together on a double major token weapon it is underpowered for the cost. Go with more cost effective alternatives for armor removal and reserve major tokens for damage or more powerful effects. Alternatively, you can just play high damage or penetrating attacks and buffs to make armor negligible. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Sundersong can be amazing for facing down Blizkenripper who draws armor and Toughness just about every turn. Wyverns can also have nasty armor though they are semi-ranged making Sundering Strikes more difficult to land. Since you need armor to trigger, it is not reliable enough armor removal for just about anything else in the high level modules. If armor is giving you fits bring a wizard packing a few Akon's Amulets. Boiling Armor gets rid of everything no questions asked. Sundersong is unreliable armor removal that lowers your damage output and can only be used in high level modules. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    White Katana (E) (majortoken)(minortoken), Petochl's Sword (E) (majortoken)(majortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. It's not a good idea to be packing two times the Sundering Strikes than the average character has armor. It's an even worse idea to pay 2 major tokens for the privilege.

Epics
    Backflip Buckler :confused:
    Not completely terrible but pretty underwhelming aside from the Disorienting Block. I would be more inclined to run Jaguar Buckler. Dodge is pretty much only useful against melee attacks anyways so switching it to Parry and getting a Surging Shield Block to boot is a fantastic deal.

Robes Of The Geomancers (P)
    Energizing Move is a great card but wizards, being ranged, are the class least likely to need it. Could be kinda cool turning Flanking Move into a Flanking Dash though.

Yoloxl's Staff (P)
    While Yoloxl's Staff breaks my 2 to 1 good card bad card rule for playability, there are exceptions to the rule. There are no staves that give you more than 2 Slide spells and the others all cost double major token. However, you really need to be committed to the control plan since you're giving up quite a bit of potential damage to run it.

Notable Rares
    Advanced Ferocity (NU)
    There is only one item with War Cry that isn't a helmet and you're looking at it. Getting rid of blocks can be useful when you know they're there but that isn't what makes Advanced Ferocity special. Rather, it's the massive amount of cards it lets you burn through. Sure, other dwarf skills have Dwarven Battle Cry but Advanced Ferocity is the only minor token skill that also gives you a cycling trait. There is no better skill to help you find the cards you need when you've got an all dwarf farming party. However, I would hold off on using it in multiplayer. Not only are you risking giving free cards to your opponent's dwarves but you're also forgoing incredible defensive options like Toughness when you do so.

Focused Pyromancy
    (BN)
    Fancy burning spells like Instant Burn might get all the attention but the real power behind the burning wizard throne isFirestarter. For long duration burning spells, Firestarter boosts damage more than any other trait, including those of other classes. Token considerations aside, Focused Pyromancy is a near auto include. You can opt for Novice Pyromancy to save the token orFocused Burning for the off chance of stacking burning traits but the consistency and power of Focused Pyromancy wins out more often than not.

Spacediver's Face Screen (P)
    This helmet has it all. Top notch defense, free attacks, and a little card draw thrown in for good measure. Spacediver's Face Screen would be a great candidate for Best of the Best were it not for its token cost. Sadly, most warriors simply cannot afford to devote a major token to the helmet slot. Those that do tend to want something extra defensive like Bubble Helmet. However, I would use Spacediver's Face Screen if you're looking for the best Mimetic Crown helmet. Alternatively, you can go for the less powerful but more consistent Flexible Space Helmet for your Mimetic needs.

Sticky Slippers (B)
    Sticky Slippers not only gives you 2 cycling traits but also an incredibly useful effect in Immovable. Wizards can't Slide you away, you can shrug off Violent Spins and Muscle Throughs, Bashes turn into underpowered attacks, and you can use Step attacks without regard for Pushback Parry. Only having one movement card also makes it a great choice for pairing with Elven Maneuvers. While not great for actual movement, no other boots come close to Sticky Slippers for deck thinning or anti-control card capabilities.

(B)est of the Best
    This item is the best of the best of the best. With honors. It is not only powerful but also fits in well established multiplayer or farming archetypes.

(N)iche
    This is a great item but fits in a very specific build. You should only consider purchasing if you have that particular strategy in your sights.

(P)layable
    Not the best. Not the worst. This item is simply solid all around and I believe could see play. If that isn't enough of a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is. Oh, and you can go ahead and assume that any item that falls into other categories is playable as well. I will not list things that I would not be willing to play myself.

(U)nique
    There is nothing quite like this item. Its cards or combination of cards are not found on other items of the same slot or not on other items period. If this item catches your fancy you should take a second look because you won't find anything similar elsewhere.

(V)alue

You could probably engineer a situation where this item wouldn't suck but it's more trouble than it's worth.

This item makes me sad and will probably make you sad too if you buy it. There are no circumstances where I'd consider playing this item.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Obernoob likes this.
  13. snickersimba

Peon, why is it that focused pyromancy is great, yet varied combustion is not? I feel varied combustion is better than it looks as you don't run a risk of drawing all three traits and wasting them, you always have traits! Plus hot flames is really damn good.

14. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Because buffing priests exist. They can buff you too. If you have more than one of a trait on the arcane skill (unless its name is Electroporter Novice, because that one's purely for cycling), you end up cycling your buffs from time to time.

j3st3ri likes this.
  15. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Hot Flames is situational, Firestarter is always good. (assuming that you're playing a burning wizard)

I don't have Focused Pyromancy, even though I play almost on a daily basis burning wizards; I prefer Focused Burning. Said that, I've questioned my choice quite a long time; is occasional Firestarter + Kindler worth the risk of getting just Kindler instead of getting only Firestarter every time?

16. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Not to mention the other traits your wizard might have. (especially Combustible in the lower levels)

17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Lenora's Prayer Beads :confused:
    With step moves and Team Walk becoming less popular conditions are pretty favorable for a damaging terrain control wizard comeback. As far as I can tell this hasn't actually happened yet so cleansing cards should be avoided unless you run Volcano. Cause Fumble will catch people off guard, especially if you aren't running many copies but it isn't something I'd actively be seeking to put into a deck. Being a melee only block and replacing a slot that could be a powerful buff card instead makes it hard to justify running. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    There aren't many modules where cleansing effects are needed and there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. Single use blocks with no card advantage attached are also not particularly useful. The final nail in the coffin is Impenetrable Nimbus solving all the problems Cleansing Ray and Cause Fumble seek to address in one neat little package. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Cleansing Incense (R) (minortoken), Cleansing Diamond (E) (minortoken), Noral's Cleansing Relic (E) (minortoken), Amber Charm (U) (minortoken): Cleansing
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I rarely play Cause Fumble or Cleansing Ray and definitely not at the same time.

Epics
    Bloodfoot Robes (P)
    If you really want more copies of Path Of Knives or you need the arcane item slot, Bloodfoot Robes are for you though odds are neither are true.

Ettin's Club :(
    Much worse than Eixocl's Hammer for you double minor token Bashing needs.

Ogre Plate :(
    Enchanted Mail is barely better than Reliable Mail but so much more expensive. The legendary Ozone Plates is just a better item all around.

Notable Rares
    Argy Bargy Brand Sneakers (U)
    Ooze Shove is both a potential powerhouse and a liability as control cards go. Moving something 3 squares away is second only toViolent Spin, and that's if you choose to give up your starting position. That said, Slide Back cards are limited by any blocking terrain behind potential targets and Ooze Shove itself is a blockable melee card. Muscle Through fairs better in the Unblockable department but it too fairs poorly against Violent Spin. However, what you lose in quality you make up for it in quantity. Getting two control cards on minor token boots is incredibly rare. In fact, the only other options are also player created items. Muscle-Bound Boots gives you more consistency but in the form of underwhelming Muscle Throughs. The epic Fashionable Ball And Chain has a Lunging Bash that fairs better against blocking terrain and the almighty Violent Spin but at the high cost of randomly Halting.

Focused Healer (BN)
    Talented Healer a vamp priest's best friend. Not only do you get incidental heals from all your vamp attacks but by making them Cantrip, you can chain them together and suck people dry out of nowhere. With so many good low an no token items, vamp's usually don't have problem with the major token, but if you want to run vamps in low level modules Manifold Healer is the way to go.

Savvy Attacker
    (BU)
    Warrior traits are bland and underwhelming so finding something better to do than a slight damage boost with your martial skill slot is often correct. Not only does Team Walk add much needed mobility to a melee team but it is only otherwise found on boots. Savvy Attacker is the most powerful and commonly played minor token martial skill. A must have for anyone who plays warriors.

Slippery Shield
    (V)
    Movement isn't very glamorous next to flashy attacks but it is every bit as important and often even more so. However, you can't go replacing key cards in your deck with movement or you'll risk being able to get anywhere you want with nothing to do. That is where hybrid cards like Hard To Pin Down come in. Flexibility does have a cost and with Slippery Shield it costs a major token. The legendary Hawlic's Surging Shield is generally preferable with its move on blocking Surging Shield Blocks although there are some fringe benefits in having a more reliable block and moving an extra square instead.

Xipil Ring
    (V)
    Volcano is one of the best cards for singleplayer farming but is fairly difficult to get a hold of. Xipil Ring not only gives you a bargain basement price for Volcano but also only costs a minor token to equip, allowing you to use it in mid level modules as well. If you're willing to shell out a little extra gold, the epic Magma Scepter gives you a Firestorm as well which also makes it much more playable in multiplayer.

(B)est of the Best

(N)iche

(P)layable

(U)nique

(V)alue

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Nosgoup and Han Lee like this.
  18. ElMath

ElMath War Monkey

Thanks for your time, your posts are very usefull and well designed.

19. DupleX

DupleX Champion of Cardhuntria

20. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I actually think Bendolth's Pauldrons is not for the Barge alone. You could play it with a Cautious Mobility elven vampire with something like Pergop's Slippers and get some Toughened Hide Strips to cycle through and a Barge as a last unblockable attack in a Cantrip chain to push the attacker away or to another vampire. Plus, 6 HP from just cycling your cards can really get you some much needed invisible health, and that Violent Spin disengage at the end of a Cantrip chain is marvelous.

Hmm... that's actually a potentially viable deck idea.

Melancthon likes this.