The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Most powerful I'd go with The Softener for the mind blowing amounts of damage it can prevent. However, since most warriors don't spend tokens on heavy armor, Perilous Ringmail is the most overall playable.

2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

St. Zaadia's Spacesuit
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Cushioning Armor is the best new armor to come out of the EttSC expansion and will likely have a significant impact in the metagame. Playing a bunch of high damage or buffed attacks was good enough before but if Cushioning Armor becomes popular, and there would need to be a massive amount of armor removal floating around for it to not be, it'll be time to leave Bejeweled Shortswords at home and dust off those Double-Edged Swords. Armor is traditionally an afterthought so spending a major token on a slot that usually goes tokenless is also going to shake things up. However, this isn't as big of an issue for priests since they have fantastic minor token divine weapons so Cushioning Armor is right up their alley. That said, St. Zaadia's Spacesuit is by far the worst of the Cushioning Armor divine armors. Genetic Engineering is useless way too often. Healing Beacon is slow and nails you to a 3x3 square. If you want Cushioning Armor for your priest try to get one of the epics instead. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    The only card you really want is Cushioning Armor and there are two much cheaper and better options. Cushioning Armor isn't even all that great in singleplayer compared to Reliable Mail. You would need to get hit with an attack that does 8 or more to see any benefit and Cushioning Armor does nothing to protect you from your own Firestorms. It does a heck of a job against big bosses but those levels are few and far between. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Stargod's Raiments (E) (majortoken), Zod's Vile Spaceplate (E) (majortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I've found a Stargod's Raiments so I'm all set in the Cushioning Armor department.

Epics
    Pip's Anklet
    All of the minor token double Flash Flood arcane items are preferable to running Illusory Barrier's uglier cousin, Wall Of Illusion.

Old Saint's Armor
    Untouchable Plate is better.

Talisman Of Grief
    So bad that I'm almost tempted to stockpile these for the inevitable card buffing tweaks.

Notable Rares
    Rageblood Dagger (B)
    Movement is one of if not the most important part of the game but at the same time, too much movement and you'll just be sprinting towards a beating. Step attacks are one of the best ways to add mobility without diluting your deck with movement cards. Rageblood Dagger not only gives you the much coveted step attacks but also a good deal of damage as well, and all while charging only minor tokens. If you're willing to forgo a good chunk of damage for your step attacks, Lochaber Axegives you access to Nimble Strikes at the same token cost.

(B)est of the Best
    Who need legendaries and epics when you have rares like these? This item is not only powerful but also fits in well established multiplayer or farming archetypes.

(N)iche
    This is a great item but fits in a very specific build. You should only consider purchasing if you have that particular strategy in your sights.

(P)layable
    Not the best. Not the worst. This item is simply solid all around and I believe could see play. If that isn't enough of a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is. Oh, and you can go ahead and assume that any item that falls into other categories is playable as well. I will not list things that I would not be willing to play myself.

(U)nique
    There is nothing quite like this item. Its cards or combination of cards are not found on other items of the same slot or not on other items period. If this item catches your fancy you should take a second look because you won't find anything similar elsewhere.

(V)alue
    There may be better options but this item won't bust your piggy bank.

3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Clovidian's Mail
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Players
    Clovidian's Mail is the best Reliable Mail heavy armor for a minor token but it has two things going against it that make it an awful buy. There are 3 epic heavy armors that also have double Reliable Mail. The only advantage of using Clovidian's Mail over the second best ones is a whopping 2 whole hp you get from discarding Toughened Hide Strips. The more nuanced reason is that heavy armor is one of the most popular item slots to go tokenless with, the most prominent ones being Perilous Ringmail and Spiked Tlahuiztli with Dependable Mail being respectable as well. The default method of distributing tokens for a warrior is 2 tokens on martial skill and boots for Team Runs and most likely 6 tokens on weapons. If you do use a single token or tokenless weapon (more than one will make your warrior wimpy) the next two slots that usually get attention are shield and racial skill. Both these slots offer unique card advantage options like Defender's Block, Toughness, Dash, Team!, and Elvish Scamper. Reliable Mail does a respectable job in competing with these cards against wizards but big melee attacks can essentially blank them. If you do decide to upgrade your heavy armor slot just get one of the epic options. You can also consider using a major token for Rolf's Reliable Platemail. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    What's that Randimar, your Toughened Hide Strips will heal me 2 hp if I fork over 2000 extra gold? I have a better idea, why don't you show me that True Mail off the clearance rack? Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Sturdy Armor (E) (minortoken), Sturdy Mail (E) (minortoken), True Mail (E) (minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I do use it for a farming party but it could just as easily be a Sturdy Mail or True Mail if I didn't have it.

Epics
    Ring Of Appropriation
    One of the best arcane items for a control wizard. I like Luke's Iron Hand slightly better but Ring of Appropriation is an absolute steal at 500 gold.

Rockshard Robes
    Tokenless robes that pack a punch. Your only other real option is Firehide Robes but a lot of wizards would rather not take the self damage.

White Katana
    Armor removal with a splash of mobility. Troll's Ire gives you a better deal on tokens for your Sundering Strikes sans the step attacks.

Notable Rares
    Cold Laser (NV)
    Cold Laser has a leg up on the competition from actually having cold spells to combo with the Cooling Laser. A novel concept, I know. Throw in a Gusts Of War and you'll be sending your frozen foes back to the Ice Age. For double Cooling Laser action, you'll want the epic Supercooled Laser instead.

Diamond Moccasins (B)
    Quick Run is fantastic for ambushing targets and has good back attack potential. Sparkling Cloth Armor is great on both offense and defense. Getting a free move every time you get hit can both help you get closer to a ranged opponent or ensure that you're out of range from subsequent melee attacks. While Brutal Charge can be hit or miss depending on the map, the combination of Quick Run and Sparkling Cloth Armor makes Diamond Moccasins incredibly useful for any occasion.

(B)est of the Best
    Who need legendaries and epics when you have rares like these? This item is not only powerful but also fits in well established multiplayer or farming archetypes.

(N)iche
    This is a great item but fits in a very specific build. You should only consider purchasing if you have that particular strategy in your sights.

(P)layable
    Not the best. Not the worst. This item is simply solid all around and I believe could see play. If that isn't enough of a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is. Oh, and you can go ahead and assume that any item that falls into other categories is playable as well. I will not list things that I would not be willing to play myself.

(U)nique
    There is nothing quite like this item. Its cards or combination of cards are not found on other items of the same slot or not on other items period. If this item catches your fancy you should take a second look because you won't find anything similar elsewhere.

(V)alue

4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Glasod's Dark Thighbone
    Multiplayer
    Soothing Darkness is poop. Spear Of Darkness is fine. Savage Curse, now this is. a tricky one. First of all, Savage Curse is traditionally used to buff wizards. Wizards tend to have the least amount of armor and blocks so emptying a full hand is not nearly as painful. Also, Mass Frenzy buffs whole melee character parties almost as well with no downside. It can really suck when your two oldest cards are also your strongest attacks but turning every other card into 4 extra damage can be well worth it. If you happen to only have one card in hand the buff is free for that last card. Just be sure to have a plan to protect your cursed character as it will be a sitting duck once the attacks are unloaded.

Singleplayer
    In a lot of modules you are free to wail away at the enemies since AI movement becomes predictable after a while. This makes Savage Curse a great way to boost damage. Mass Frenzy is still superior for warriors and priests so you'll likely want it for wizards. Might I suggest combining Savage Curse with Firestorm? Mmmmm, 8 point Firestorms.

Peon's prescription for prodigious players- Would not purchase Glasod's Dark Thighbone. You want the paper quality Savage Curse but you're paying for the golden turd in Soothing Darkness. There are many other items with Savage Curse with better cards. Ideally, you'll want to look out for Skull Of Savage Iljin for extra savagery. If Savage Curse's discard clause is too savage then you may want to look into Unholy Wellspring items. They tend to be grouped with some less than desirable cards though due to the jump in card quality.

Substitutes
    Dworia's Soulstone (E) (minortoken), Black Token (R) (minortoken), Savage Tome (E) (minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I don't even like running inconsistent items with cards I like let alone ones with Worst Gold Card Nominee, Soothing Darkness.

Epics
    St. Ulrich's Bones
    One of the few ways to get Bless though you do need run some terrain attachments to get use out of Cleansing Ray. *COUGH* Volcano *COUGH* Bless me.

Inkdark Halberd
    This is not the Inspiring Presence divine weapon you are looking for. Knife Of St. Blenko or bust.

Trog Melter
    Great tokenless staff for armor removal if your wizard doesn't mind the low damage, Firestorm farmers and control wizards to name a few.

Notable Rares
    Frosty Staff (N)
    The large variety of Cold spells on Frosty Staff allows you to stack Encumber better than any other staff. This is great if you just want a couple Cold spells on a control wizard but it only applies to targets which move 4 or greater. Also, if you're running a more dedicated Cold wizard, you'll already be packing Cone Of Colds from arcane items in which case you'd be better off with the more straightforward Staff Of Winter. Alternatively, you can opt for the legendary Staff Of The Arctic if you just want to Encumber everything in sight.

Infected (U)
    While double Shuffle makes even the slowest dwarves cringe, the big payoff is the big goodbye present your human dishes out before biting the dust. Festering Gut is essentially an 18 damage unblockable Burst 2 attack so there is nothing quite like it. Getting your opponent to hit your infected human is dubious at best so you will need to do most of the heavy lifting. Might I suggest Viscous Locket or Tome Of The Withering Source? If all else fails, you've got a pseudo Force Field for 3 turns.

Smoking Pistol (NV)
    Volcano is not only one of the most efficient cards for farming but it's also incredibly hard to get a hold of. If you haven't been lucky enough to get the best Volcano items like Mordecai's Staff Of Magma, you'll need something to hold you over. That's where Smoking Pistol comes in. It costs a major token but all that matter is getting that Volcano fix. In a similar vein, Xipil Ring nets you a Volcano on a weaker but cheaper to equip item. Be on the lookout for best singleplayer Volcano arcane item, the epic Magma Scepter, which also includes the farming all star Firestorm. Those looking for a good multiplayer Volcano item can turn to the epic Overheated Mesmerizer.

(B)est of the Best

(N)iche

(P)layable

(U)nique

(V)alue

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Nosgoup, Dad and Sons and Sir Veza like this.
  5. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Great, the one day I miss double dip :mad:

6. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

I spent my gold on chests yesterday because I happened to get horrible luck and get:
    Vampires blade
    shielding token
    slice and dice
    perilous ringmail
    storges probiscus

All in the club slot. I wanted to cheer myself up.

7. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Pretty sure that Advanced Battlefield Training wins that competition. ;)

While I have never ran Soothing Darkness from items, I have had a few games of quick draw were it has been very useful, especially when paired with a control wizard. If you can delay the game enough, 15 points of healing from one card is pretty nice.

Of course your mileage may vary, but I think you are being a bit too harsh on it.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Quick draw is a different beast. You are much less likely to face a high density of powerful buffed attacks and less likely to have buffs and traits of your own that might push it off. I suppose if you can slow the game to a crawl Soothing Darkness might be decent but wouldn't you rather have the less easily removed higher upside Healing Beacon at that point?

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Good news!

10. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

whats double dip? I also decided against ulrichs bones. I could have gotten the gold for it, but I chose to skip on it, my priest seems to be fine without it as shes doing plenty of damage.

11. Nosgoup

Nosgoup War Monkey

I've been farming the first levels of the trog campaigns for the last few months in the hope of catching a Staff Of The Inferno. I now have at least half a dozen of every epic item around this level, but none of the aforementioned staffs, so I must make sure I've got this right -- some items cannot drop as campaign loot? And, if I've read that correctly, is my elusive staff amongst them?

Of course my first post on this forum shouldn't be a noob's begging question, but should exclusively be to thank peonprop for his work in this thread. Were it not for your posts I'd be lost like a cardless elf in a firestorm. It's a truly fantastic resource, and on behalf of all the lurkers that haven't signed up, yet still read your words daily, thank you.

Edit: the first paragraph was to Kalin in reply to his post a couple up. Not sure why the quote didn't work.

peonprop and Sir Veza like this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

SOTI drops normally, but every account seems to have some items that just don't drop. I have 3 accounts, and they all have different holes. The RNG pattern shifts occasionally, so I hope they'll show up for you soon. There aren't many epics in that level range, so the odds are in your favor.

Yay! :) (And long overdue for the older 2, IMO.)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Nosgoup likes this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

FWIW apparently it was an oversight. This is why it's worth repeating (small, intuitive) suggestions occasionally.

Sir Veza likes this.
  14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Good point. For future reference, is once a month too often?

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Depends on the suggestion... but unless it's a critical bug, I'd ask you to opt for a slower schedule. Use your judgment. =)

16. Nosgoup

Nosgoup War Monkey

I'm not intrinsically unlucky - I have a special hole!

Melancthon and Sir Veza like this.
  17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Currently, only St Ulrich's Bones, Giant Skeletal Arm, and Stargod's Raiments won't drop in random SP chests (all will drop in MP, stores, purchased chests, and league prizes). Everything except noLoot items will drop in SP once the new build goes live.

Staff Of The Inferno does drop normally, but only if your renown is at least 15 (the introductory level for Ember Burst).

peonprop, degensquared and Nosgoup like this.
  18. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Right now you need a renown of 23 to get an item with Bless and renown of 27 for Massive Chop.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  20. Nosgoup

Nosgoup War Monkey

Ah, thanks, Kalin. I'm currently level 14 renown. :oops: