Zalminen's Beta Diary

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Zalminen, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

Ok, the heroes finally find Lord Stafford himself, guarded by two armored dogs and a mercenary.

"You're never going to get here alive," the lord's voice echoes the passage. "I have ten thousand ninjas here and a pack of rapid wolves just waiting for my command!"
    "You're bluffing," Silvershield yells back.
    "Umm... a hundred barbarians and ten ferocious tigers?"
    "I don't think so..."
    "Five wizards and three lions?"
    "...."
    "Ok, one mercenary and two dogs. But they will still kill you alive!"

The heroes look at each other.
    "Is everyone here insane?"

[​IMG]

Agreyn gets an Unholy Frenzy as the dogs run along the passage towards the heroes. The mercenary tries to reach Silvershield who easily evades the guard. The dogs run to her and she runs around it.

Mizana gets stabbed and pulls back as well, zapping the dog although its armor reduces the damage a little. The mercenary charges Agreyn but the fighter dives to the side going after the dog. The mutt has other plans and lunges towards Mizana.
    Agreyn hits the armored canine with a Strong Bludgeon, doing heavy damage despite its mail.

The mercenary surprises Mizana with a Reaching Swing and nearly drops the sorceress. Mizana doesn't hesitate and targets the dog once more - but again its armor is enough to keep it in the fight.

Ah, again I missed the fact that there are victory squares in the north room. No wonder Lord Stafford and the second dog didn't move closer...

Silvershield finishes the angry dog with a Bludgeon, smacking it down through its mail.

[​IMG]

The heroes charge towards the passage, Agreyn leading. The dog charges to intercept him and he hits it with the All Out Attack and blocks its attempt to bite. It would have been nice to save All Out Attack for a stronger attack but since Agreyn still has Unholy Frenzy it's better to use it now.

The mercenary hears Lord Stafford's yells for help and charges towards Mizana. (Damn, it managed to draw a move from Lord Stafford's Raise The Alarm) Mizana has time to set the foe on fire before the enemy hits - but it decides to target Silvershield instead of the weak Mizana. Mizana's second zap fails to get past the mercenary's Solid Mail and it strikes Silvershield again. The dwarf dives for safety behind the wall as the foe targets Mizana with a Reaching Swing. She falls.

[​IMG]

Agreyn gets Wimpy and although Silvershield gets two Violent Overswings, she may not get to use them both...

Silvershield waits for the foe to move past the corner and surprises him with a Violent Overswing. Before she has time to attack again the mercenary retaliates with a Potent Stab, nailing the dwarf against the wall.

Alone against the enemies Agreyn charges the dog guarding the passage. Unfortunately his Wimpy blow does only minimal damage against the canine's armors.

The next turn Agreyn manages to finally smash the dog down but is out of moves and wouldn't be able to reach the victory squares in time as the foes only need a single VP more.
    It doesn't even come to that as the Lord Staffords alarms give the mercenary enough energy to reach Agreyn and hit him with a Potent Stab...

Attempt two

Silvershield charges forward but the mercenary hits her with an Impaling Stab. Agreyn runs to help and hits the foe three times in rapid succession, the foe falling like a log at the end.

Mizana runs to the passage, zapping the mutt with a Big Zap but the armored canine lunges back at her.
    Silvershield inspires the sorceress and the fiery spellcaster just gets Firestarter to supplement the Kindler she got at the beginning. As a replacement for that she at least draws Sorcerous Bolt which she immediately uses against the mutt, its armor halving the damage done.

[​IMG]

Mizana Fire Sprays the dog and retreats. Agreyn moves to the doorway to the passage while the dog uses its Attack Skill to prepare to attack.
    Silvershield uses Wavering Faith to remove the dog's armor.

As the next turn begins the dog burns (nice, 5 damage from Kindler + Firestarter + burning). Angry at the sorceress who set it on fire it advances but meets Agreyn's club midleap and crashes to the ground lifeless.

Agreyn advances along the passage and the other dog lunges towards him. Agreyn whacks it with a Trained Bludgeon and it flees back towards its master. With Silvershield's Inspiration Agreyn moves again.

[​IMG]

We're tied at 3 VPs but Gary needs a lot more to win so if I can take care of the dog without losing anyone I should be able to win. It's going to take Mizana and Silvershield several turns just to reach the treasure chamber though...

As Silvershield advances, Lord Stafford shows that he's just a Coward.
    Silvershield slaps Agreyn with a Righteous Frenzy - and I notice that the rest of the passage is difficult terrain and Agreyn won't reach the dog before his frenzy expires.
    The heroes move closer - and the mutt makes the mistake of lunging at Agreyn. The frenzied warrior whacks it with an Able Bludgeon.

[​IMG]

The dog does a Vicious Thrust at Agreyn but quickly pulls back after Agreyn's return blow.

Mizana's Long Sparks hit the dog and the second gets past its armor. It gives one last whimper and falls to the floor.

The heroes advance and Lord Stafford retreats towards the back of the chamber.
    "No... stay away... this chamber is filled with deadly traps! They'll slice, crush, decapitate and defenestrate you before you take even one step."

Agreyn takes a look around the windowless room.
    "Defenestrate?"
    "Yes! They will defenestrate you before you have time to even blink!"
    "...you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

[​IMG]

Agreyn finally clears the the junk the lord's underlings had placed to block the heroes' advance. Boosted with Unholy Frenzy he charges the enemy and gets solid hit in but the old man shows surprising strength and his Powerful Bash pushes Agreyn away.
    The arrogant lord makes the mistake of returning back to the middle of the room - and back in Mizana's line of sight.
    Two magical blasts and the enemy is left with 1hp.

[​IMG]

This is a bit too close for comfort... The enemy is at 1 hp but he also needs to kill only one foe to win and Agreyn is at 4hp.
    Oh well, Mizana is at better health, maybe the foe will target her instead.

Mizana moves closer (and right after clicking the move card I realize I could have just killed the enemy with Unholy Frenzy....) and the lord - does nothing.
    "Well now, you don't look half bad. Maybe I can invite you to my room once I clear out these thiefs."

"Mmm... no."
    Mizana's Big Zap knocks the weird geezer against the wall.

Hooray, adventure complete!

[​IMG]

Loot: Spiked Breastplate, Rusty Spiked Mail and a Red Circlet.

All heroes reach level 8 and gain a second Talent, with Mizana gaining a fourth Arcane Item slot and Silvershield gaining a Dwarf Skill slot.
    Mizana puts the new Red Circlet to good use.

The heroes quickly check the shops - and Mizana finds a nice new staff:

[​IMG]

Pengw1n and Jon like this.
  2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Since my heroes were now level 8 I figured I need to try the kobolds once more If I want to get any EXP from that adventure.

(I'm switching back to shorter summaries since this is my third time attempting this adventure.)

Diamonds of the Kobolds

Agreyn and Mizana move to the right passage and fight the kobolds with fire and clubs.
    Mizana is forced to retreat as she gets Mob Attacked twice but Silvershield takes her place.

One kobold burns down at start of next turn.
    Agreyn and Silvershield drop two more.

Next turn Silvershield drops one and Agreyn is finally forced to retreat.

Mizana's flames take one more down as the next turn begins but she falls to the kobolds blows.
    Silvershield kills another one with a Misguided Heal but gets bashed back.

[​IMG]

Agreyn and Silvershield do more damage but as Agreyn then draws only moves and Silvershield only draws an Unholy Frenzy (that does take one foe down) they both fall.

Attempt two

Unholy frenzied Agreyn takes out two kobolds and wounds two others on the first turn, but is forced to retreat.
    Mizana finishes one and on the next turn one more.

Next turn Silvershield smacks one down and Agreyn slays the avenger coming from the other passage.

Next turn - again no attacks for Agreyn. Mizana blasts down one kobold.

Silvershield falls to the kobolds' blows. Mizana and Agreyn take out one kobold each.

[​IMG]

Mizana sets the kobolds on fire and kills one of them with Sorcerous Bolt.

Agreyn hits last avenger and the flames eat it alive the next turn. Mizana's spells take out one more and Agreyn's club one, leaving two.

Next turn Agreyn flees as he gets no attacks, but as soon as he gets better cards the heroes finish the remaining kobolds.

Heh, I lost count just how many sure kills the kobolds managed to block or parry during this fight.

Loot: Blinking Robe and treasure.

DenieD and Pengw1n like this.
  3. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

The heroes fight against the avengers, Silvershield luring two of them into the passage leading to the pigs, Agreyn and Mizana fighting two near the start.

Silvershield's Misguided Heal drops one avenger.

Next turn Agreyn kills another avenger, just like the turn after that. Silvershield finally falls as the avenger Shambling Bashes her and moves out of the way allowing the pigs to get to her.

The heroes can't quite kill one of the gate guards before Gary gains the last required VP.

Attempt two

No attacks for Agreyn, so not looking good.
    With Silvershield's Inspiration and other help they kill one avenger and Mizana's spells and burning take out another one.

Unholy frenzied Agreyn kills one more avenger next turn, badly wounding another.

The situation is actually looking pretty good, until

[​IMG]

ARGH what cards!

Silvershield does get to drop one avenger with her Bludgeon and Mizana gets to the other victory square. But as I only get a Bludgeon and a Fire Spray next turn there's not much to do.

But as the fight goes on it's starting to look I might actually be able to win this fight after all...

[​IMG]

Mizana blasts the avenger at the gate and Agreyn moves to the free square.

Next turn Mizana gets lucky and zaps the pig down, the oinker failing both armor rolls. Agreyn fights the avenger and the pig and his armors help him take only little damage. As the enemies concentrate on Agreyn Mizana tries circling the pig, hoping to get away to safety next turn, Silvershield healing her for added help.

Next turn, and again no attacks for Agreyn.

[​IMG]

Mizana's Big Zap kills the avenger but the pig has enough moves to reach the other gate square and contest the squares.

Next turn the pig gets no attacks (whew) so everybody gangs up on it. I forget that the Burning Fingers has a range of three - meaning it also hits Agreyn plus wipes out Silvershield! Damn.

Oh well, the dwarf had 1hp so it wouldn't have been safe to attack with her anyway.
    The pig is down to 4hp, Agreyn has 8hp and both sides are 1 VP short of victory.

As the turn ends the pig makes the mistake of discarding a Mail! Agreyn's Trained Bludgeon finally gives me a victory!

Loot: Just treasure.

4. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

Again everyone runs to the tight passage so they won't get attacked by too many kobolds at once.

Agreyn kills one avenger with a Strong Bludgeon, and Mizana helps finish a second one.

Okay, my unlucky streak with Altruism is getting silly. The card has a 50/50 chance of triggering and so far it's been about 3 successes and 10 fails...

As Agreyn finishes a foe Mizana sees a chance to actually use her fire spells:

[​IMG]

The sorceress moves, uses her Fire Sprays and retreats, Agreyn getting to drop the weakened avenger.
    Mizana and Agreyn slay the spearkobold moving too close and now it's three against four.

Next turn Agreyn and Silvershield fall to stabs but atleast Mizana gets to drop two kobolds with her spells, leaving her alone against the spearkobolds. She flees, pushing the eastern kobold aside with Telekinesis.

[​IMG]

Mizana blasts the weaker kobold away but gets stabbed by the Wimpy foe. She Bungled Bolts the enemy and retreats.

Next turn Mizana Fire Sprays the foe pursuing her, gets stabbed (1hp left), uses a Perplexing Ray on the foe and flees again.

The foe burns but since Mizana only got another Fire Spray she's forced to flee again.

Next turn the foe burns again, leaving it also at 1hp. Now Mizana only has to wait and since the foe cannot reach zapping range on that turn Mizana gets to draw again, this time getting a Long Spark.

Zzzap! And finally a victory on this adventure, woohoo!

[​IMG]

Loot: Cracked Sword, Neophyte's Axe, Blessed Club plus Treasure.

My victory also opens another level 6 adventure: The White Star.

I'll probably try that one next.

DenieD and Pengw1n like this.
  5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Blessed Club is awesome, I used that for my priest until lvl 10.

6. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Before heading out to adventure Silvershield buys Orla's Tear to replace Poisoned Relic.

The White Star

Damn, more kobolds. But the map looks interesting.

[​IMG]

Mizana moves towards the priest who is feeling Vulnerable and zaps the kobold twice.

The first kobold charges from the eastern cave and Agreyn charges to intercept it as it predictably stabs Mizana.
    The human fighter hits the spearkobold and as the kobold priest makes the mistake of coming closer he turns and sends the chanting little bugger against the wall with another Able Bludgeon. His third hit targets the original kobold once more and Mizana sets the green critter aflame. It burns away as the new turn begins.

The avengers run closer and Mizana uses her Sizzling Bolt on the first one.
    Agreyn charges the next kobold coming from the eastern cave and the Wimpy foe tries to Mob attack but is still almost alone and doesn't do much damage, unlike the fighter's Strong Bludgeon.

The flaming avenger Lunging Bashes Silvershield who doesn't want to waste a Violent Overswing on an already burning foe so he retreats.
    Agreyn's second blow crushes his opponent as Silvershield decided to inspire the sorceress who Bungled Bolts the avenger doing enough damage that it burns to death on the next turn.

[​IMG]

Agreyn charges the next spearkobold and hits it twice, getting a Wimpy Strong Stab (heh) and an Able Stab in his chest while doing that.

The avengers move closer and Silvershield marches closer to attack. Her first Violent Overswing nearly kills the first avenger but the other Shambling Bashes her away.

Mizana sets the spearkobolds on fire with her Fire Spray.

The next turn begins with the first spearkobold burning alive. The other targets Agreyn with a Strong Stab, his armor reducing the strength of the blow.

Mizana sets the advancing spearkobold on fire and Silvershield retreats from the avengers. They pursue the dwarf and come close enough for her to hit the stronger one with a Violent Overswing and parries the other kobolds Lunging Bash.

Agreyn hits the spearkobold and it's now weak enough to burn to death next turn.

The avengers move again and unfortunately Mizana can no longer hit both avengers without hitting Silvershield as well.

[​IMG]

The dwarf crushes the still active one as Mizana moves to intercept the last two avengers with her flames.

The wounded avenger bashes Silvershield who counters with a Misguided Heal, killing the weak foe.

The other avengers charge in and Mizana Fire Sprays the first one. Mizana moves out of the way, letting Agreyn charge the same foe. Boosted with Unholy Frenzy he hits the first avenger while Mizana targets the second one with a Sorcerous Bolt.
    Both save their last attacks since the closer kobold is weak enough to just burn to death next turn.

The last avenger runs closer and Agreyn's Wimpy frenzied blow takes it down.

Loot: Off-Balance Boots (which Silvershield takes) plus some treasure.

Lots of enemies but the map kept them from getting to surround me.

7. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

[​IMG]

14 kobolds? Atleast it's a narrow passage and they won't be able to swarm me.

Agreyn runs to the wider area and stops the kobolds from entering that room. Silvershield runs to help as the kobold Mob Attacks Agreyn.
    Mizana zaps the first kobold but it blocks the blow.

The heroes move to better positions.

Silvershield gets hit and the first kobold proves to be really good at blocking as it stops the first three blows from the heroes. It finally falls to Mizana's Big Zap.

The next one charges the heroes only to get struck down by Silvershield's Violent Overswing. She switches places with Mizana and the sorceress Fire Sprays the next kobold twice.

The next turn Silvershield heals Agreyn and the other kobolds move closer.

[​IMG]

I pass waiting for the foes to move closer but Gary passes as well and Agreyn's forced to discard some attacks.

The weakest kobold burns to death.

As the other kobolds move closer Silvershield tries to get more attacks by using Inspiration but just draws another one and using that just gives Flimsy Block.
    As one kobold finally moves close enough to be hit Agreyn smashes it down with a Strong Bludgeon. The next one steps up and gets hit by Agreyn and Mizana's Ember Spray.
    Mizana and Silvershield again change places and Silvershield whacks the kobold with her Bludgeon. The foe manages to block the blow.

Mizana zaps the kobold down with a Long Spark and Silvershield slaps an Unholy Frenzy on Agreyn. Another kobold reaches the pair and Agreyn strikes it down with a Trained Bludgeon.

Six down, eight still left.

Another kobold reaches the end of the passage.

[​IMG]

Silvershield strikes it down with her Violent Overswing, the kobold luckily failing to Parry the blow. Silvershield boosts Agreyn with a Righteous Frenzy as well but the kobolds are too slow to reach the heroes this turn.

Mizana senses a good opportunity and runs around the corner, targetting the next kobold with her spells. As the kobold manages to block two out of three, Mizana pulls back.

Next turn the spearkobolds move closer and Mizana retreats back in the wider cavern as Silvershield moves to guard the corner. The kobold blocks her first blow, striking the dwarf back, parries the dwarf's second blow and the priestess pulls back.

Not wanting to discard attacks Agreyn moves forward and strikes the weakened kobold splattering it against the passage wall.

Six more to kill and all my heroes are still at good health.

Agreyn hits the next kobold to move closer and retreats to the cavern. Silvershield got Altruism and heals Agreyn (and succeeds in the roll, whee).
    Silvershield slaps Agreyn into an Unholy Frenzy and Mizana moves to the corner and uses Fire Spray at the kobold but it manages to block. Her Sorcerous Bolt does the job, killing the stinky little critter..

Mizana retreats back in the cavern as the kobolds move closer.

Silvershield inspires Agreyn twice (and looks like my bad luck with Altruism has finally ended, both rolls succeed but give only move cards).

[​IMG]

Getting bored with just standing there Agreyn charges to the first foe. The lone kobold tries to Mob Attack the human fighter but its Wimpy blow does nothing against Agreyn's armor.
    Two frenzied blows and the kobold is no more.

Mizana moves to the corner in order to see more.

The foes finally move into view just as Agreyn's feeling Wimpy. The fighter gets Strong Stabbed, his armor reducing the blow a little, but Mizana's spells do just as much damage to the foe.

Silvershield once again moves closer and slaps another Unholy Frenzy on the fighter and as the enemy is clearly out of move cards and the first kobold has already attacked this turn, Agreyn and Mizana make short work of the short foe.

Three more to go.

Another kobold moves to the corner.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the foe who stabs Agreyn. Silvershield's Inspiration allows her to zap the kobold again with a Bungled Bolt and Agreyn charges in to whack the little bugger and Silvershield uses her Misguided Heal to finish the foe.
    Mizana runs ahead and Big Zaps the next one who manages to block although the jolt knocks the shield painfully against the kobolds head.

I finally discard Agreyn's Mail. Two foes left so saving the attacks is now more important that reducing damage to me.

The first kobold moves closer and gets promptly struck down by Agreyn. The other tries to get to the heroes over the piles of rubble but as its progress is slow, Mizana zaps it with Sizzling Bolt. She shuffles closer and follows with a Big Zap but gets stabbed while doing that.

Agreyn charges in and whacks the green bugger back down the rubble slope.
    "Woohoo, king of the hill!"

Loot: Treasure, Dueler's Buckler for Agreyn.

Well, that was easy, at least with my levels and equipment. The narrow passage allowed only one at a time to hit me and since the kobolds were constantly not moving at all because there were others in the way I just had to wait and keep whacking the kobolds that did reach the heroes.

8. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

[​IMG]

Woo, treasure (even if it's just decorative)! And unfortunately five Kobold Avengers and one Kobold Priest. But there's no victory squares and there's a couple handy chokepoints so this should be still be easier than that thrice-cursed gate fight...

Agreyn and Silvershield move to the chokepoints as the foes move slowly closer.
    Mizana zaps one of the avengers with a Surging Bolt.

The kobolds reach the chokepoints and Agreyn hits the first avenger with a Trained Bludgeon.
    Silvershield parries her opponent's Wimpy blow, drawing Inspiration which she casts on his fighter friend. Agreyn thanks and whacks his foe down with a Strong Bludgeon.

The next avenger tries to Lunging Bash the fighter away from the chokepoint but Agreyn's Unreliable Block succeeds and he holds his footing.

The priest heals the avenger Mizana hit earlier and I pass first.

Next turn Mizana draws Firestarter and another Fire Spray and grins.

[​IMG]

Silvershield slaps Agreyn with both frenzies and the fighter nearly drops the nearest avenger with one blow.
    Mizana moves to a better position and while the enemy priest heals Agreyn's opponent she sprays the two eastern kobolds with fire. The kobold hits back.

Agreyn drops his opponent with a second Able Bludgeon and as the kobold priest moves closer Mizana throws flames again.

The third western avenger tries to Lunging Bash Agreyn again but although the blow does some damage he just bumps against Silvershield and quickly regains his footing. The dwarf Bludgeons the closest avenger and she and Mizana move to allow the sorceress to retreat better next turn.

As the next turn begins one avenger burns to death while the others move - or actually just turn. (Huh?)

[​IMG]

Agreyn hits and nearly kills the stronger avenger, with Mizana finishing the near-dead opponent. The other avenger retaliates by bashing the sorceress back.
    Silvershield inspires Agreyn by flashing a little leg but the human fighter just looks ready to do a Wild Run.

Agreyn does however stick to his original plan and Bludgeons the priest that steps in the chokepoint but gets struck with a stronger blow back.
    I pass first and the priest still hits Agreyn once and heals itself.

As the next turn begins the flames, made hotter by Mizana's Firestarter trait consume the last avenger.

Agreyn whacks the madly cackling kobold priest twice, making the wierd critter just cackle even louder and whack Agreyn with a Strong Bludgeon that could have proved fatal without Agreyn's armor.

"Oh, be quiet," Mizana orders the kobold, raising her staff.

A Long Spark between the kobold's eyes finally silences its mad laughter.

And it's Adventure Complete!

The name of the fight, "Mother Lode", proves out to be worth its name as the loot happens to include an Epic Item.

[​IMG]

Too bad it has a couple of drawback cards...

Other than the Staff Of Pain the loot includes some treasure, another Cloudy Circlet and Defensive Luck which Agreyn puts into good use. Guardian Angel could prove to be really useful.

Mizana decides to give the Staff Of Pain a go. If the drawbacks turn out to be too annoying she'll switch again.

Next time - gladiators!

DenieD likes this.
  9. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Whoa. This thread has now passed 4000 views!

--

I decided to try the

Gladiatorial Tournament, Qualifying Round

[​IMG]

I'm apparently up against three elf wizards: Amirault Catt, Gethen Deathzap and Carolinia. (And missing arts again...)

"I'm still not convinced this was a great idea," Mizana mutters, looking at the crowds surrounding the arena.
    "What are you talking about, this is great! We can kick ass and everyone just cheers! Well, except the opponents."
    "Now, now," Silvershield intervenes. "It's normal. She's just worried that those wimpy elves are better spellcasters than her."
    "WHAT? I could beat all three of them with my eyes closed!"

The gong echoes around the arena. "Just watch!"

Mizana hits the first elf wizard named Gethen Deathzap with Bungled Bolt, then running closer to the foe.
    Gethen wisely retreats.
    Silvershield picks her target aand runs through the middle.
    The second elf, Carolinia, darts towards Agreyn but the dwarf notices this and immediately changes direction moving to intercept the elf and bashing her backwards.
    On the other side of the arena Mizana gets zapped with a Powerful Spark.

Carolinia counters Silvershield's hit with a Big Zap but Agreyn reaches the elf as well and his Able Bludgeon wounds the enemy.

Mizana gets zapped again on the other side and I quickly pass first.

Next turn - and no attacks for Agreyn or Mizana (except for her Arcane Curse).

Mizana retreats behind the nearest pillar while Silvershield charges Carolinia, hitting her with a Bludgeon while Agreyn gets hit by Gethen's Devastating Spark.

Carolinia is barely standing but sees Mizana across the center and hits her with a Penetrating Bolt. The foes try to dissolve Agreyn's (nonexistent) armor as I make sure to pass first.

[​IMG]

Silvershield slaps an Unholy Frenzy on the 1hp Carolinia, but amusingly she manages to reflect the spell, driving Silvershield into an Unholy Frenzy she could not otherwise get. The elf is however unable to stop Mizana's Deadly Spark which slams her against the back wall.
    "Hey, that one was mine," Silvershield shouts at Mizana.
    "She shot me first!"

The third elf, Amirault Catt, uses the confusion to create a pool of bubbling acid beneath Silvershield's feet but the dwarf just hops aside and runs towards the remaining enemies. The elf shrugs and targets Agreyn with the same spell.
    Silvershield doesn't have any attacks ready but as he notes Gethen's Defensiveness he quickly marches next to the elf. As the dwarf hoped, Gethen gets too nervous with the grinning dwarf closing in and fails to cast his next two spells.

Agreyn has no intention of staying in the quickly forming acid pool and Wild Runs towards the elfs as well.

[​IMG]

The fighter smacks the elf with a Strong Bludgeon while Mizana runs closer, staying in the cover of the pillars.

I pass first, Gethen failing yet another spell due to Defensiveness. Gethen decides to run and Mizana reacts, hitting the elf from the side with her Burning Fingers.
    As Gary passes I make use of the situation by moving Agreyn next to Amirault who promptly Fire Sprays the human.
    I pass first again and Gethen flees to the upper corner.

Next turn Gethen and Agreyn burn and Mizana gets Firestarter.

[​IMG]

Agreyn takes no chances and whacks Amirault down with a Trained Bludgeon.

Silvershield inspires Agreyn again with a little booty shake and the fighter draws a Bludgeon.
    Agreyn charges towards the last foe and gets blasted with a Deadly Spark. Silvershield moves to heal the fighter and as the enemy exhausts himself by running along the arena wall Mizana moves to cut her off and hits her with her Fire Spray and a Big Zap, slides him back the way he came with Telekinesis and runs to pin her against the wall.

The last part proves unnecessary as the elf burns to death as the next turn begins.

[​IMG]

Loot: Holy Axe (now this would have been nice against the kobolds...) and a Silver Scalpel.

10. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

[​IMG]

Ok, so I'm up against a Goblin Hulk, a Dwarf Warrior named Plog Kneechopper and two Festering Zombies. Unfortunately the Hulk starts between Agreyn and Silvershield...

"Do we really have to stand right next to this big bugger during this hymn? He stinks worse than those two zombies - and they're already dead!"
    Agreyn looks at the hulk and shrugs:
    "Thought it was the other dwarf."

After a long wait the hymn ends and the gong signals the start of the fight.

"Finally!"
    Agreyn turns, swinging at the hulk and then retreats towards the southern zombie.
    Silvershield parries the hulk's Strong Hack and then pulls back as well but gets hits by the other dwarf. Unfazed she inspires Mizana who draws a Deadly Spark she immediately uses on the hulking foe.
    The Zombie tries to mob Silvershield but only Plog is near enough to help.

Mizana keeps blasting the huge goblin with a Surging Bolt and a Fire Spray until the hulk gets furious enough to march closer.

[​IMG]

Silvershield grins and raises her club.
    "Tiiimmmbeeerrrrr!"
    Her sudden leap takes the hulk by surprise and the Violent Overswing hits it right between the eyes. Its eyes unfocus and it falls slowly backwards crashing into the ground with a huge THUMP.

As the dwarf priestess lands, Kneechopper manages to hit her again.
    "You felled that gobbo real good, but you ain't gonna to do the same to me," the unkempt looking dwarf chuckles.

I pass first and the zombies move somewhat aimlessly.

On the next turn Silvershield draws another Violent Overswing and quickly whacks Plog with it. (She has 3 health left and might not get to use it at all otherwise...)
    "Oo, not bad..." the dwarf grins.

The zombies move and since the dwarf priestess no longer has any moves she quickly uses her Inspiration on Mizana.

The zombie goes after Silvershield's brains but the dwarf, while stunned, remains still standing.

[​IMG]

Mizana moves closer in order to use her spells. Agreyn gets hit and stunned by the other zombie but Mizana gets to zap Plog with her Arcane Curse, Fire Spray and Big Zap. The dwarf's armor takes most of the magical beating and the zombie's Resistant Hide protects it from the flames.

Unfortunately Silvershield finally falls as the dwarf uses his only attack against her.

Mizana removes the dwarf's armor with Perplexing Ray and I pass.

Next turn starts and Plog grunts in pain from the flames.
    "Aahh.. my !!beard!!"

The western zombie tries to Zombie Mob Agreyn but one zombie isn't really enough for a proper mob and the human fighter's armor protects him from the undead creature's feeble clawing.

Mizana flees from Kneechopper, the dwarf in pursuit. The zombie Agreyn was facing ambles to cut off her flight and Plog manages to catch the sorceress and hit her with a Weak Chop.

Agreyn runs behind the zombie and hits it three times but his Wimpy blows only reduce the foe to half health.

Next turn Plog burns some more and howling in anger hits Mizana with a Strong Chop.

[​IMG]

Mizana backs towards the corner and the zombie turns to follow. She uses Burning Fingers that do no damage against the zombie but atleast set Plog on fire again.

Agreyn keeps beating at the zombie but does little damage thanks to its Resistant Hide. As Plog also reaches Agreyn Mizana flames both with Ember Spray, calculating that Agreyn's armor will protect him unlike Plog who has no armor cards left.
    The dwarf Strong Chops Agreyn, his armor again reducing the blow.

I pass first and Plog's beard burns some more.

Agreyn finally drops the dwarf while the zombie again tries to mob him alone. Mizana targets it with a Big Zap but its hide keeps it still in the fight.
    The other zombie reaches Mizana but the sorceress shoves it back with Telekinesis.

Agreyn backs away from the zombies and I pass as well.

[​IMG]

Well, I've gotten rid of the harder opponents but Lady Luck isn't exactly feeling friendly... No attacks for Agreyn and Mizana's Fire Spray is a bit useless against Resistant Hide. Atleast I got move cards so I might get away from them...

Mizana moves north and the Zombie's attempt to eat Agreyn's brains does no damage but stuns him. Mizana gets away from the zombies but they do nothing but move about.

Next turn Agreyn and the weaker zombie flail at each other failing to get past the other's armor.
    The other zombie gets - Festering Guts! Ouch, the zombie blows up when dying? I'd better deal the last blow against it from afar...

Agreyn takes another, stronger blow at the weaker zombie and it finally falls. The human fighter then retreats and as the last zombie moves after him Mizana comes to hit it with a Big Zap but does minimal damage through its hides and she pulls back again.

Next turn Mizana gets Firestarter. Whee.

Next turn Agreyn gets to hit the zombie three times but does minimal damage as it keeps making its armor rolls. And since it still has two Resistant Hides in hand, only arcane spells do anything against it and its luck with armor rolls continues to hold.
    The damn undead also manages to hit Agreyn with an Infected Bite, poisoning the fighter.

Without any good cards the heroes can do little but flee.

On turn 12 I finally draw good enough cards to go on the offensive.

[​IMG]

Agreyn charges the foe but nearly falls to the zombie's Infected Bite, his Reliable Mail saving him from certain death.
    As the zombie is now out of attacks and I don't remember what the explosion range on Festering Guts was Mizana backs away just in case.

Then Agreyn hits.
    Trained Bludgeon, doubled by All Out Attack: 8 damage (both armor rolls succeed).
    Able Bludgeon: 3 damage (one armor roll succeeds)

This is just enough to kill the zombie and while the acid explosion from Festering Guts takes out Agreyn, Mizana is still safe and the victory is mine!

Loot: Electroporter which Mizana decides to put in use and some treasure.

11. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

[​IMG]

Hmm, this might get interesting. Armored dog, Fire Spirit and a Burning Skeleton and victory squares in the middle.

Silvershield darts east and Mizana uses Shift, Team to help Agreyn and Silvershield towards the middle as the burning skeleton runs towards Mizana and the Fire Spirit tries to spit fire at Silvershield but hitting only her shield.
    Mizana runs towards the entrance to the second ring as well.
    The fire spirit attacks the dwarf again, this time hitting with a Fire Bolt and later again with a Flame Spit.

The dog reaches Mizana and she turns to zap the angry mutt with a Big Zap, followed by a Bungled Bolt.

The burning skeleton reaches Mizana as well and both foes take turns hitting Mizana, nearly killing her but atleast I get to pass first.

Next turn Mizana flees to the center and zaps the Fire Spirit coming behind the corner at the outer ring and then occupies one of the center squares.

The armored dog decides to switch targets and runs to Agreyn.

[​IMG]

Agreyn whacks the beast but its armor protects it and it gets to lunge at Mizana who falls. The fighter's second blow is more successful and he moves to the center as well, getting hit by a Sizzling Bolt from behind.

Silvershield moves towards the center as well.

Next turn Agreyn gets hit by another Fire Bolt but his armor does its job. Silvershield realizes she can't reach the dog from her side so she goes on a Wild Run to the opposite side - and the duo gets hit by a fireball.

[​IMG]

Silvershield's blow finally smacks down the annoying dog once and for all.
    The burning skeleton moves closer and although Silvershield doesn't have the extra cards to use another Violent Overswing, Agreyn does hit the fiery creature with an Able Bludgeon.
    The skeleton hits Silvershield, then Agreyn but the fighter parries the blow. (Damn, drew a Wild Run instead of something more useful)

The next turn begins, giving me a second victory point.
    Agreyn's armor protects him from all the flames but Silvershield is not so fortunate and falls as all three sources of flames do their damage.

[​IMG]

I just need to kill one foe to win but the same applies to the enemies...

Agreyn hits the burning skeleton twice but it moves to occupy the center squares as well. I can do nothing but pass and watch the skeleton hit Agreyn - but to my surpise it does so only once and the Fire Spirit does nothing.

Next turn - GAAAH. Two Wild Runs and a Run? No attacks and I'm so close to winning...

I'm again forced to watch as the enemies attack Agreyn:
    Flame Spit: 2 damage. Burning Blade (boosted by Fiery Fists): 3 damage.
    (Huh? that should have been 6 damage? Ah, Fiery Fists is still unimplemented...)
    ...and nothing more? What cards do those enemies have since they're not using them?

Finally Agreyn draws attack cards. A Strong Bludgeon extinguishes the burning skeleton and makes me victorious!

Adventure complete!

All heroes reach level 9 and gain a new Talent.

Loot: Polished Leather Boots, Repelling Mace, Novice Chopping and some treasure.

[​IMG]

New adventures open: Gladiatorial Arena, Round 1 (level 9), Goblins in the Woods (level 11)

I should probably try beating the trogs next and then return to the arena...

Pengw1n and DenieD like this.
  12. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Before heading out the heroes check the shops again.

Agreyn buys Patched Dashing Boots.
    Silvershield buys Untrained Ferocity.

And since I'll be visiting the Trogs next, Agreyn equips Woodhome's Wound and Stilletto (both giving penetration).
    Mizana equips Viscous Locket and Perilous Bangle (acid against armor) and Silvershield removes Righteous Tome (more Wavering Faiths).

Throne of Strench, revisited

Agreyn once again takes up his position at the chokepoint.
    The first Trog arrives and Mizana's Arcane Curse proves that the foe has no armor yet!

Cue evil laughter...

[​IMG]

Mizana's Deadly Spark and Agreyn's Penetrating Cuts boosted with Unholy Frenzy take out the first Trog.
    The other ones push forward and Agreyn takes a couple of hits but his Reliable Mail softens the blows.

Silvershield inspires Agreyn by leaning forward and the human fighter grins and uses his new Trained Bludgeon to hit the speartrog trying to get out of the cavern, the blow hitting through its Tough Hide with ease.

"Eww... have you ever heard of bathing," Mizana asks the hairy beast, holding her nose.
    Her spell then slams it back towards the other trogs.

Next turn and Agreyn moves to switch places with the dwarf (as I'd prefer not wasting Perforating Strike or Violent Overswing on a 2 hp foe...)
    The foes pour out of the cavern and Mizana uses Burning Fingers to set four of the remaining five on fire, although most don't take damage thanks to their doublethick hides.

Agreyn gets hit twice but although his Unreliable Blocks are too unreliable, his Reliable Armor is true to its name as well, keeping the fighter still in the fight.
    Agreyn and Silvershield hit the speartrogs, doing heavy damage to both as the foes just mill about.

Next turn Silvershield gets hit again.

[​IMG]

Mizana fries the trog that was trying move to the side with Unstable Bolt and Agreyns cut fells the second foe.
    The second gouger pushes to the front but its face gets to meet Silvershield's Violent Overswing and although it gets to hit back, Mizana's Powerful Spark ends its fight.

Silvershield uses her Misguided Heal on the fighter, trusting his Reliable Mail to stop the initial jolt and leaving just the healing effect. She gets hit by another trog but Agreyn feels a lot better now and charges to hit the weaker trog, killing it with one Penetrating Cut.
    Mizana and Silvershield retreat out of spearing range and I pass.

The last trog pulls back towards Mizana but Agreyn effortlessly follows with a Lunging Thrust. Its Tough Hides stop most of the damage but his following cut is a lot more penetrating.

Silvershield moves to the side and then performs a roaring Charge towards the foe, managing to hit an unprotected spot.

(No extra cards so I can't use Silvershield's Violent Swing yet so I pass.)

The next turn the trog makes its last mistake as it hits Mizana instead of backing away from the ferocious dwarf.
    WWHACK!

"...bah, now I've got trog brains all over my mace...."

Loot: Turquoise Staff and Spike-toed Boots.

13. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

Ok, now let's see if my better levels, equipment and hopefully better tactics will pay off...

Mizana starts the fight a little too full of magic and suffers from Brain Burn.

Agreyn and Silvershield move forward as a Speartrog runs towards them from the western passage. Silvershield slaps Agreyn into Unholy Frenzy again but the next speartrog stops just out of reach of Agreyn's clubs while the other moves into spearing range of Mizana.

[​IMG]

Mizana quickly uses Perplexing Ray to confuse the already dumb looking foe (leaving the speartrogs just one card) )as the other one attacks Agreyn with a Spear Thrust. She then Big Zaps the hairy beast and shuffles back.

Silvershield inspires Agreyn with a sultry wink and for once the Lady Luck is on Agreyn's side!
    He gets a new idea and performs a Penetrating Lunge against the gouger that he hears just around the corner and follows up with his other attacks, his frenzied blows killing the gouger outright and wounding the speartrog.

I had divided my attacks so that the gouger would have died even if had made a successful armor save but turns out the gougers hadn't even drawn Crude Plates yet!
    One down, five foes to go.

Next turn begins and Agreyn gets hit - and fails to draw any attacks. But draws Guardian Angel. Is the game trying to tell me something here :D

[​IMG]

Silvershield tries inspiring Agreyn again but the human just seems to feel like Sprinting. The trogs hit him and although he is saved, almost as if by a Guardian Angel, it just gives him time to put on his Mail properly.

As the northern pair has used their action points for now, Agreyn is in no hurry to retreat and Silvershield quickly moves to pin the southern speartrog against the wall so it can't pull back.

As the dwarf's Bludgeon hits its Tough Hide it tries to move past her but the dwarf uses Wavering Faith on it and Mizana blasts the now unprotected foe. It falls down lifeless.

Agreyn quickly retreats as the scuttlers get too close and the second gouger follows.
    The heroes quickly retreat from the approaching foes.

The next turn the heroes continue their retreat, Silvershield healing Agreyn as they go.
    The slower foes cannot keep up and Mizana sees a chance to do a nasty little surprise:

[​IMG]

Next turn the gouger takes damage from the acid pool and as the foes run forward, Mizana gets a chance to hit the remaining speartrog with a Sizzling Bolt, its Tough Hide keeping it alive.
    Silvershield takes a little nick from the a spear but retreats after Agreyn.

The last speartrog falls to Mizana's flames as the next turn begins.
    The heroes keep retreating, Mizana zapping a scuttler with Bungled Bolt and Silvershield taking another minor hit from the scuttler.

Silvershield decides to inspire Mizana for a change and her sultry wink proves suprisingly fruitful, as the fiery sorceress draws Spark Generator followed by an Unstable Bolt. The latter blasts the weakened scuttler away as its hide fails to protect it but the other trog lands another hit at Silvershield.

[​IMG]

The heroes realize this is a good time to attack! (Especially if the gouger is now out of moves...)

Agreyn charges closer and whacks the remaining scuttler with a Strong Bludgeon. The foe stays standing, but only because of its Tough Hide. It fails however against Mizana's Arcane Curse and the small damage is quite enough to topple the wounded foe.

Mizana looks at the the last enemy and grabs the bangle she brought with her. A moment later the floor below the exhausted gouger turns into lava!

The gouger is burned badly by the molten stone before it has time to climb out but it doesn't get far before getting slammed by Mizana's Sorcerous Blast (amplified by Spark Inductor and Spark Generator... and the gouger didn't even have Crude Plates!)

Victory! And without losing any heroes!

I had much better luck this time than in my previous attacks and my better equipment certainly helped a lot.

Loot: Gorval's Mail and Apprentice Fireblinker.

Pengw1n likes this.
  14. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

[​IMG]

"I knew this wasn't going to be pleasant when you told me the trog chief was called Strench the Pungent, but this is even worse that I thought. I won't be able to smell anything for a week after this," Mizana grumbles holding her nose.

Three gougers and Strench. He's probably going to be dangerous. Too bad the cards aren't that great.

The heroes dart towards the side passage as the gougers move closer and Silvershield gets zapped by the spellcaster.
    Mizana uses Shift, Team to hasten her allies but the dwarf is in the way so Agreyn has to wait and get zapped by Strench while Silvershield moves behind the pillar.

Agreyn gets zapped for a second time, failing to block the blast again but I get to pass first.

Next turn I draw more attacks but also Wimpy and Arcane Curse.
    Silvershield moves out of the way and Agreyn runs behind the pillar while the trog wizard blasts him again past his shield.
    Silvershield slaps him with an Unholy Frenzy and inspires Mizana, giving her the idea of using Sorcerous Blast.

[​IMG]

She decides to use Bungled Bolt first - and the foe's Crude Plates save the trog from the spell and push the beast backwards behind the cover of the pillar.

Having no moves left I pass. The closest gouger tries to stab Silvershield over the ravine but the dwarf parries.

Hmm, do the trogs have more Crude Plates in hand or why did they again discard one?

As Silvershield moves away from the trog that tried to stab her before, Strench unleashes an Arcing Spark

[​IMG]

Luckily the others are too far to be affected.
    Silvershield realizes the trog wizard is probably the greatest threat and Charges towards Strench. She does not have a direct line towards the malodorous beast but does get next it. The foe zaps her but the dwarf returns the favor with a Bludgeon, driving the trog wizard to flee.
    As two gougers move around the corner, keeping a spearing distance from Agreyn, the fighter decides to retreat instead of charing the pair and probably getting himself killed.

The gougers run after Agreyn.
    Hmm, now I have a chance to hit one of them in the back with Sorcerous Blast but this would allow the foe to hit Agreyn or Mizana...

"Oh no you don't!"
    The hairy creature looks surpised as an invisible force yanks it suddenly backwards.

The third gouger moves to protect Strench from Silvershield.

[​IMG]

Mizana charges forward and the trogs move to spearing distance of the heroes, one even coming to melee range of Agreyn.
    Agreyn hits the foe with Perforating Strike but gets hit back with a Strong Stab, the hit slightly slowed down by his Hardy Mail. The human fighter groans but strikes back with a Penetrating Cut.

As Strench zaps Silvershield with a Powerful Spark, Mizana retaliates with a Sorcerous Blast and the accurate blast manages to hit a weak spot in Strench's Tough Hides.

The other trog does a Predictable Stab against Agreyn but the fighter gets really lucky with his Unreliable Block. The foe's Crude Plates protect it from the jolt.

Silvershield moves forward, trying to chase the gouger back but Gary just passes.
    Mizana targets Strench with an Acid Blast, the angry wizard retaliating with a Powerful Spark that does only minimal damage through her mail.
    Agreyn retreats from the trogs and Mizana gets stabbed.

Silvershield uses Wavering Faith to force the gougers to discard a card and I pass after Gary.

The next turn begins and Strench realizes too late it's standing in a pool of acid.

Agreyn runs to a safer location while the nearest trog stabs Mizana. She runs past the trog as the others move closer.

[​IMG]

Silvershield inspires Agreyn with a little dance but he fails to draw the move he would have needed so he decides to go down blazing - and lunges towards the gougers coming from the southeast.
    The hit gets past the foe's Crude Plates but the hairy beast responds with a Potent Stab that is too much for the wounded Agreyn.

Silvershield quickly retreats before the other trog has a chance to hit and decides to use Misguided Heal on Mizana, trusting correctly that her armors will protect her from the initial jolt.

Mizana sprays the closest trog's unprotected back with fire and follows up by turning the ground below it into lava.

While the heroes have been fighting the gougers Strench has run around the western wall and emerges from the southern side to again blast Silvershield with a Devastating Spark.

The next turn begins. The closest trog realizes it's standing in the pool of lava. It immediately flops to its back and rolls backwards, right into the pool of acid. It howls in pain as the acid eats away its armor and the flames still licking its skin get to eat away at its now unprotected skin.

Heh, that was funny.
    - Hot Spot triggered, doing 10 damage
    - Crude Plates triggered, roll was successful and reduced the damage by 4 but pushed the foe back, right into the acid pool behind it
    - Acid pool triggered, doing 3 damage and forced the trog to discard its Crude Plates
    - Burning from Mizana's earlier Fire Spray triggered, doing 2 damage to the unarmored trog.
    In total 11 damage and no more Crude Plates :D

Mizana tries to finish the trog with a Little Zap but as it had quickly donned its armor again, the blast does no damage and the foe's Strong Stab hits Mizana.

Silvershield moves around the corner and the trogs move again.
    As Mizana can't get past the dwarf safely with the trog in the way, she quickly kills it with Sizzling Bolt but gets hit in the back with another Strong Stab.

Mizana quickly flees along the now free path but moves a little too far and gets zapped by Strench. Her armors help to minimize the damage.

Having no other options left, I pass. Strench zaps Mizana again, leaving her with just 1hp.

[​IMG]

Damn, if only Mizana had drawn a spell with a better range... Strench is one square too far for Unstable Bolt to hit and thanks to it she can't even pull back to safety!

Mizana tries the only thing she can do and uses Perplexing Ray on Strench but the enemy's Devastating Spark slips past her armor and ends her valiant fight.

Alone against three foes Silvershield can do little and soon gets killed as well.

Pengw1n likes this.
  15. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Attempt two

Resistant Hide? Now this looks a lot more promising...

Mizana moves slightly ahead, closer to allow her to hit Strench but not close enough for the gougers to reach her with a single Run.
    The gougers move closer, and turns out they have a second Run.

Mizana and Strench hit each other with Powerful Sparks, Mizana doing a little damage through the pungent spellcaster's Tough Hide and the foe doing none.
    Another pair of hits, Mizana's Deadly Spark hitting a weak spot, Strench's Devastating Spark doing again nothing.

Silvershield moves closer and so do the gougers.
    Agreyn charges towards gougers as one of them targets Mizana with a Strong Stab, the blow reduced by Mizana's Resistant Hide.
    Silvershield Charges the other gouger, doing minimal damage thanks to the short distance but proving that the enemies don't have any Crude Plates yet.

Strench pulls back to a more optimal distance.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's Powerful Bludgeon hits the wounded gouger but it still manages to hit Mizana with another Strong Stab.

I quickly pass first.

Next turn Silvershield's Violent Swing hits the already staggering gouger and ends its fight, only one of its armor succeeding to protect it.

Silvershield inspires Mizana with a little dance, allowing her to move a little further this turn.
    Strench sees this and hits the heroes with an Arcing Spark.
    "I'm coming to blast your hairy ass," Mizana yells and runs towards the side passage.
    Strench ignores the threat and targets Agreyn but the fighter manages to block the spell.

[​IMG]

Silvershield follows Mizana to cover while Agreyn continues fighting with the next gouger, taking a Strong Stab that's partially absorbed by his Mail but hitting the beast back with a Penetrating Cut.

The gougers move and Agreyn quickly pulls back, not wanting to get hit by the other gouger as well.
    Strench moves as well but as it comes to Mizana's view she promptly blasts it with a Deadly Spark, its Tough Hide again reducing the impact a little.
    Mizana moves closer, driving Strench back and allowing me to pass first.

Hmm, the gougers discard both Crude Plates? I wonder how many more they happened to draw?

Silvershield performs a Misguided Heal on Agreyn and the nearest gouger does a Predictable Stab on the human but his armor layers protect him from both jolts and the priestess' healing does its work.

Silvershield slaps Agreyn with an Unholy Frenzy and since the human fighter feels particulary fast he runs to the side passage as well, away from the trogs.

Its as if Strench could sense Agreyn intending to Sprint towards it as the pungent beast flees to the western passage, a little too far for Agreyn to catch him this turn.
    Mizana moves - and Strench changes its mind, scuttling back.

[​IMG]

Realizing this is his chance Agreyn Sprints to the surprised Strench and although the foe's Devastating Spark fails to do anything thanks to his armor, his Able Bludgeon doesn't quite do that much damage either as the hairy wizard's Tough Hides do their job as well.

Gary passes and Mizana senses this is the perfect time to create a Hot Spot under one of the gougers.

As the next turn begins the gouger takes full damage from the lava pool.and Silvershield feels altruistic.

[​IMG]

Strench makes the mistake of using a Devastating Spark against Agreyn instead of retreating. Although the spellcaster manages to get past the fighter's second armor and does some damage Agreyn's Penetrating Lunge impales the creature's heart.
    Strench falls, its mouth still trying to form the words for the next spell but in vain.

Silvershield pulls back from the advancing gougers while Mizana advances and the sorceress hits the weaker gouger in its unprotected back with a Surging Bolt, ending its fight..

Silvershield retreats while Agreyn changes direction, running towards the dwarf.

I pass as well. I decide to discard Agreyn's Guardian Angel instead of the Mail as I have a feeling I'm going to need the armors more.

[​IMG]

Agreyn can't quite reach the gouger this turn, even with Mizana's help. Silvershield can, but Mizana decides to test the enemy's defenses with a Bungled Bolt first.

The gouger seems to have dropped its Crude Plates somewhere and the bolt does full damage.
    Silvershield sees this as her cue and marches towards the last gouger with a dangerous grin on her face.
    The trog doesn't realize the danger and hits the dwarf - but its anger turns into fear as Silvershield's mace connects with a Violent Overswing.
    The trog is still barely alive though and Mizana flings Agreyn closer to help deal with the foe next turn.

I pass and after a moment's thinking decide to discard All Out Attack and Mail since Penetrating Cut should be more than enough to deal with the 2hp foe.

The next turn begins and the trog uses the chance to stab Agreyn. Mizana moves closer to the trog, trying to make it waste its movement so Agreyn will be able to reach it.
    The foe retreats to spearing distance as expected and Agreyn runs next to it. His stilletto lashes out and its Penetrating Cut nails the hairy beast against the ice pillar.

Hooray! Adventure Complete!

Loot: Robe Of Lightness and Hardened Hide Armor.

I check the shops and Silvershield buys Piety to replace her old Novice Piety and Novice Ferocity to replace Untrained Ferocity.

My current party:

Agreyn
    Level 9 Human Warrior

Mizana
    Level 9 Human Wizard

Silvershield
    Level 9 Dwarf Priest

Next I'll probably be returning to the arena for more gladiator combat!

Pengw1n likes this.
  16. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Mizana buys Smoking Bangle to replace Perilous Bangle and Fiery Rod to replace Orzo's Excellent Wand. I'm really beginning to like Hot Spots :D
    Silvershield buys Dueler's Buckler to replace Heavy Wooden Shield.

Gladiatorial Arena, Round 1

[​IMG]

Oo, devious. Either I stay in the victory squares and get hit or retreat to a better position and lose VPs... Let's try staying first and see what happens.

As the gong gives the starting signal Agreyn is the fastest, hitting the middle gouger in the back.
    The reptilian Cleric brings Misfortune upon Agreyn as Mizana blasts the same foe with her Unstable Bolt.

The gouger roars in anger and targets Agreyn with a Strong Stab. The human fighter would have otherwise managed to block it but the additional bad luck makes the spear slip just above the shield edge and hit the human fighter.

Silvershield tries inspiring Agreyn but the fighter just feels like dashing away and as another Potent Stab hits him, he decides to retreat. (Again Agreyn rolled 6 to block but with Misfortune still in effect it was a bit useless...)

Silvershield retreats as well and this time it's Mizana's turn to get hit by another Potent Stab.

Mizana retreats as well and as the gougers move she quicly turns and targets one of them with an Acid Blast.
    The lizard cleric retreats.and Silvershield decides to Wild Run after it, hoping to kill it away from the gougers.

The cleric is not defenseless however and hits Silvershield with yet another Potent Stab! (Ouch! Those hurt, especially when I haven't drawn any armor cards yet...)
    Agreyn dashes towards the reptile as well and I pass after Gary.

The next turn begins and although everyone draws an attack, it's still not looking that good.

[​IMG]

Mizana retreats and the ooze slithers towards the other heroes.

Agreyn and Silvershield both attack the lizardman cleric but Agreyn is soon looking rather cursed. Wimpy, Unholy Curse - and then this:

[​IMG]

...ouch.

Mizan hopes that the foes didn't draw any more moves and casts a Hot Spot on the weaker gouger.
    The ooze reaches Agreyn and the fighter quickly turns to face the foe and is fast enough to block its strike.
    The next blow unfortunately hits and is enough to put Agreyn out of the fight.

The lizardman moves to the center and Silvershield moves right outside the southern wall.

The next turn begins and the gouger standing in the lava pool melts away.
    The lizard is suddenly looking very defensive while Mizana draws Spark Generator and Deadly Spark!

As the ooze moves after her Mizana quickly runs to the western side and gets to hit the remaining gouger in the back.
    As Silvershield doesn't have enough attacks to be able to take either of the middle foes down, I just pass.

The ooze turns out to be unusually fast and its third move this turn takes it next to Mizana who promptly zaps it a Little Zap.
    The ooze retaliates.

The next turn begins and the enemies are now only 1 VP away from victory.

[​IMG]

Mizana uses her Deadly Spark to blast the enemy cleric (as the gouger might have Crude Plates).
    The ooze moves next to Mizana and gets to Bludgeon her while Silvershield charges the middle.
    Mizana quickly retreats while the dwarf gets hit by a Potent Stab.

Since Mizana doesn't have line of sight on the gouger, Silvershield uses Inspiration on herself but doesn't get anything better than Wavering Faith (Which would just discard Bludgeon which is the one card I don't want to discard right now).
    She shrugs and whacks the enemy but its Crude Plates stop the blow.

The next turn begins and Silvershield
    1) gets no attacks (well, she does get Charge but it won't do much damage when the dwarf is already toe to toe with the foe)
    2) gets hit by a Strong Stab, leaving her at 1hp.

Mizana hits the gouger with a Perplexing Ray in the small hope that it might make the enemy forget to attack.

As the ooze is moving closer the heroes decide to try one possible plan, hoping that the gouger has no more attacks and the ooze has no more moves left.
    The ooze proves that hope wrong as it moves to intercept Silvershield so the dwarf quickly retreats.
    Silvershield inspires herself again - and draws another Charge. GAAH....

With nothing else to do Mizana uses her Bungled Bolt on the gouger, leaving it at 2hp. And it didn't even have any armor cards...
    Since the foe is too strong to be killed with Unholy Frenzy, I'm forced to pass.

And as I only had one person in the victory area against Gary's two, I lose.

17. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Attempt two

Ok, let's try retreating straight away this time.

Hmm, Mizana is the only one with armor and Agreyn has a Parry even if he's facing the wrong way in the beginning so Silvershield is the most vulnerable one...

Silvershield quickly retreats through the small entrance.
    The black ooze is the next fastest to act and hits Mizana, doing only minimal damage through her hides but she can no longer move after the foe's Small Pseudopod Strike (which discarded her Run...).

Not wanting to leave Mizana alone with the gougers Agreyn turns and hits one of the gougers with a Perforating Strike. The gouger retaliates with a Strong Stab but the fighter manages to Parry the blow. (Drew a Dash, grr...)
    Without any means to defend himself Agreyn is forced to retreat.

While the ooze and the gougers keep hitting Mizana and fortunately doing only little damage, Silvershield gives Agreyn an especially inspiring view - and the fighter suddenly feels ready to Strong Bludgeon someone!

Not even Mizana's hides can keep her in the fight after two more Potent Stabs hit her. Agreyn roars in anger and dashes around the wall next to the lizardman cleric which quickly retreats. The fighter isn't ready to stop yet and his Sprint takes him around the next wall and right behind the gougers!

[​IMG]

Agreyn quickly smashes the weaker gouger and the CRACK of its spine breaking is loud enough to be heard by the cheering crowd.

The reptilian cleric slams a Path Of Knives on Agreyn but that just gives me the chance to pass first.

Next turn and Gary gets a VP from holding the middle.

Agreyn quickly hits the gouger while the foe is still facing the wrong way. Without any other attacks ready he is then forced to retreat, even if it means taking damage from Path Of Knives.

Silvershield retreats to the small alcove in the wall - and charges at the lizard cleric! The gouger stabs her but the dwarf ignores the trog and hits the cleric again before it has a chance to retreat.

Out of cards, I can do nothing else but click Pass as the ooze moves to pound Silvershield and the cleric retreats to the east.

Next turn - and the cards aren't looking good.

[​IMG]

The gouger targets Silvershield with a Potent Stab - and the dwarf is too unlucky to parry, thanks to the cleric's earlier Misfortune!

Silvershield falls and this gives Gary enough VPs to win.

Attempt three

Again no armor cards for anyone so it's safer to retreat...

Mizana flees to safety as the gouger hits Silvershield with a Potent Stab.
    Silvershield follows her lead and the second gouger hits Agreyn, this time with a Strong Stab.

Not wanting to waste the chance Silvershield slaps an Unholy Frenzy on Agreyn and the fighter does an All Out Attack using Able Bludgeon and hits the nearest gouger.
    The attack does a nice 12 damage but then Agreyn is forced to retreat as the ooze's second blow hits him.

Agreyn pulls back but is hit by an Unholy Curse by the cleric.

Silvershield runs to the other side in an attempt to get the gougers to move but they just stand there and let the lizard do the moving.

I don't want to use Acid Blast just to see the gougers move aside but I don't want to pass and then see Gary do the same either. Oh well, maybe the gougers will be too dumb to move...

Mizana targets the weakest gouger with an Acid Blast but the gouger just moves aside. I pass first.

Next turn - and Agreyn's feeling Wimpy. He does get a Perforating Strike after that though but Silvershield gets nothing but Minor Heals.

[​IMG]

"Stand back, Agreyn! I'll handle this!"
    Mizana emphasizes her command by raising her staff and targetting the lizard with a Sizzling Bolt.

Agreyn moves aside - and the ooze decides to charge through the opening and moves between the humans!

Mizana targets the aggressive puddle of goo with Burning Fingers, hitting the cleric with the same cone of fire. The ooze's counter forces her to give up doing the same again and she retreats.
    The ooze targets Agreyn next and although Agreyn's frenzied wimpy Perforating Strike does some damage the next hit is too much for the human fighter and he falls.

Silvershield uses both of her heals on herself as the ooze moves across the middle towards the dwarf.

Next turn and the ooze and the lizard burn.

Mizana gets both Spark Inductor and Deadly Spark.

Silvershield leads the ooze on a merry chase, the goo failing to catch her.
    Mizana moves to a better vantage point:

[​IMG]

..and hits the ooze on the other side with an inducted Deadly Spark.

The next turn begins.

Hmm.... there's actually a tiny chance I might still be able to win this but I'd have to get really lucky...

[​IMG]

Silvershield kills the ooze with Unholy Frenzy and the reptilian cleric shows its Defensiveness!

Silvershield moves to the southwest entrance - and gets Potent Stabbed. She plows on with a Charge but gets another Strong Stab from the cleric.

Mizana runs to the middle as well while the cleric tries and fails to cast Path Of Knives. The sorceress then casts a Wall Of Fire on the three upper victory squares and the weaker gouger quickly retreats to the one vacant victory square. Mizana continues by creating lava on that square as well and the lizard cleric flees to safety.

I pass - and the gouger ruins my chances by hitting Silvershield with another Strong Stab.

Defeat.

If the enemies wouldn't have had enough attacks the lava would have killed the weaker trog (assuming the lava damage is counted before victory points) and as the cleric fled the center would have been contested.
    The next turn there would still have been one full health gouger and one 4hp lizard left but with good cards it would still have been possible, if hard.

Oh well, time to try something else and try the arena again later.

18. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Sadly, VPs are counted at the end of each round; lava and other cards activate at the start of the following round.

I don't think you should be retreating in this battle no matter what you draw to start. Plan your strategy for close combat options and make them do the retreating: in my plays, the lizard always ran to get range, so if you can kill one of the others quickly the VP advantage swings in your favor. Both sides start with their backs turned toward each other: it's a chance to put your biggest hit on one of the Trog Gougers without worrying about Crude Plates, and in the same move turn your character around so Parry will be effective soonest.

19. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, not retreating is what I'd suggest as well. Also, Crude plates can be your friend if you pack low damage attacks, as it can keep the Trogs away from VP squares.

20. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I check the shops and Mizana decides to buy another Smoking Bangle.

After some consideration the heroes decide to go to

The Garnet Demon Portal

[​IMG]

Six imps. Two arcane, two frost, two lightning type.

Silvershield slaps Agreyn into a frenzy.

One of the frost imps turns out to be Combustible so Mizana immediately moves to a place where she can use Sizzling Bolt on that imp, although another one gets to hit her with a Frost Jolt from behind while doing that.

The lightning imps retreat and Agreyn turns an instead runs to the other frost imp, slaying it with two quick blows.

The arcane imps both zap Mizana but she retaliates by turning the floor below one into lava - unfortunately it turns out that the arcane imps' last card is a run and the imp moves to safety.
    With Silvershield inspirational little dance she finds the magical strength to cast another Hot Spot in the imp's new position.

The lightning imp zaps Mizana as well, leaving her at 2hp.

Although Silvershield could still reach the western arcane imp, I decide passing first is more important.

The Combustible frost imp succumbs to the flames while the southern arcane imp burns alive in the lava pool.

Unfortunately Agreyn is feeling Wimpy and doesn't get any attacks at all!

[​IMG]

Even though she's slowed down by the earlier Frost Jolt Mizana decides the best option is still to retreat. If she can get the imps to waste their moves first, she can then use her Acid Blast against them.

The arcane imp does move and Mizana quickly follows her plan - and again the lucky buggers have drawn another move!
    Having little else to do as the foes are now all out of sight, Mizana commands her allies to shift.

The lightning imps move and as they both come into view Mizana quickly hits one with a Bungled Bolt
    The other one zaps Agreyn with a Powerful Spark but does little damage through his Mail.

Silvershield reaches the last arcane imp and hits it twice.

As the foes do nothing but pass, Agreyn Sprints right next to the eastern imp, although getting hit by a Short Spark in response.

Next turn:

[​IMG]

Mizana hits the weaker lightning imp with a Spark Generator made Sorcerous Blast. The foe tries to dodge but manages to just turn to face towards the blast. (It rolled a successful Dodge roll but used its move to just turn, instead of moving behind the corner...)
    Mizana darts towards the arcane imp who flees.

I've been waiting someone to kill Mizana for quite a while now, but she's still in the fight with her 1hp...

Agreyn whacks the weaker lightning imp who again tries to dodge - and again just turns to face the incoming club.
    Yeah, another successful Dodge and another move used just to turn... dumb imps.

Silvershield chases after the fleeing arcane imp and although she gets zapped by the foe her following Charge and Unholy Frenzy are enough to end the imp's fight once and for all.

Agreyn moves to surround the last imp and the next turn brings enough attacks for the imp to quickly fall.

[​IMG]

Loot: Glowing Hide Armor (which Silvershield takes) and Novice Agility.