Zalminen's Beta Diary

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Zalminen, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Attempt three

As the oak hits Mizana with a Mighty Limb Smash, the sorceress retaliates with a Sizzling Bolt. One of the beeches is Combustible but the damn oak is a lot more dangerous. The tree counters with an Acorn Barrage, hitting all three heroes.

As the beeches move closer, Agreyn runs to engage the first one while Mizana moves away from the spreading oak's line of sight.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's attacks are enough to slay the the tree, despite the fighter getting hit by a Bludgeoning Branch from the other beech moving to attack him from behind. The foe fails three Solid Wood rolls in a row!

Silvershield runs to Agreyn's aid, hitting the leafy foe with her Violent Overswing.

The oak hits the dwarf with another Acorn Barrage.

And my luck with cards is again bad.

As Silvershield gets hit also by a Clubbing Branch, Agreyn runs east, finding a clear path towards the annoying oak and Charges towards it.

The third beech also gets to hit the priestess and this proves too much for the dwarf who falls.

Mizana moves closer to the Combustible beech and sets it on fire with her Fire Spray.

[​IMG]

The mighty tree burns down, groaning horribly as the flames engulf it completely.

Agreyn catches up with the feeling oak and although it swats him with a Mighty Limb Smash, he gets to counter with a Chop, hitting the beech as well with the swing.

As the oak tries to entangle Agreyn with its roots, Mizana moves to a better position, blasting the oak with a Mighty Spark but as the foe manages to use its Entangling Roots on her as well, she's unable to pursue it as it retreats.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's blow stuns the beech for a moment, allowing the fighter to pursue the other tree without fear of getting hit from behind.

The oak flees from the fighter, only to get hit by Mizana's Surging Bolt.

Ha. Now the oak only has Tough Bark cards left! Although now face the difficult choice - which foe should I kill with the Wall Of Fire? Well, actually that's not difficult at all...

The fleeing oak suddenly roars in pain as it finds itself in a pool of molten rock, the sorceress also zapping the beech with a Powerful Spark.

The oak gets turned into a huge torch, leaving the humans to face one last foe, which Agreyn immediately moves to attack.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's accurate blows manage to do some damage despite the tree's multiple layers of Solid Wood.

The tree fights Agreyn, doing only little damage but Mizana darts in, sprays the beech with fire and then retreats with Agreyn, leaving the flames do their work.

Hmm... is the tree actually trapped in that corner, unable to get out?

The beech finally falls to one last Mighty Spark.

Adventure Complete!

Loot: Greater Sulphuric Staff, Amulet Of The Burning Barrier, Orange Shield and some treasure.

My victory opens up a new adventure: Black Oaken Heart. Gee, more trees?

Here's what the map currently looks like:

[​IMG]

I'll probably go meet some monkeys next time.

2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I caught a cold from the conference so there'll be a couple of days without any new entries to my diary.

I'll continue once I'm feeling a bit more normal.

Pengw1n likes this.
  3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Get better soon!

4. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Hope your recovery is quick. I have enjoyed perusing your adventures.

5. Kellfa

Kellfa Kobold

Hope you take lots of vitamin C and also I figure this would give you a lil chuckle for what i did for the new beta test:

March 8, 213A.D.
    Dear Journal,
    Today was so bad. First I was made fun of by those mean yellow puddings or whatever those dumb slimes are called. All I had asked them was if I could take one of the bones from their pile of bodies to replace a lost limb of mine that a stupid dog in armor took. But I did meet this cute dwarf named Silvershield so I’m going to ask her out. Let’s hope it goes well…
    -Fester ‘Ing, the zombie

Zalminen likes this.
  6. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Started feeling better again yesterday so I'm resuming my diary now.

(And whoa, this thread is past 6000 views already...)

For the next adventure, Mizana again switches her arcane items back to more fiery stuff.

Then it's time for

Attack of the War Monkeys

Five war monkeys to kill. Yay.

[​IMG]

As the monkeys scamper closer, Mizana unleashes her magic on them.
    The hairy creature fails to Duck the sorceress' Bungled Bolt and as it slips past Agreyn, the fighter turns and whacks both of the closest monkeys with a Chop, the second one Ducking under the swing and hitting the humans back.

Agreyn attempts to Bludgeon the wounded foe but it manages to evade the blow, doing an Acrobatic Flip that sends Agreyn flying and gives the monkey a chance to hit the fighter from behind with a Cowardly Attack.
    The maneuver does leave the foe unable to see Mizana's Mighty Spark and as it turns to face the sorceress, it finds itself in the middle of a stream of lava, just like its ally next to it.

On the other side of the bush Silvershield maneuvers behind the first incoming monkey, hitting the chimp with a Strong Bludgeon as Agreyn pulls back from the nearest monkeys.

[​IMG]

The first monkey succumbs to the searing heat of the lava and the others quickly move to pursue Agreyn.
    One of them tries to run past the fighter but it just gives him a chance to nail it with a Mighty Bludgeon that even its Monkey Mail can't save it from.

Silvershield gets hit with a Cowardly Attack from behind, the priestess immediately countering with a Touch Of Death.

Agreyn gets Pickpocketed by the other monkey still left near him (the foe stealing a Run) as Agreyn gets boosted by Silvershield's Demonic Feedback.

The monkeys move and another one makes the mistake of giving Agreyn a chance to hit it from behind.
    Silvershield tries to hit one of the chimps harassing her, the foe's Acrobatic Flip sliding her back.

The monkeys move again, and once more the ape allows Agreyn to hit it from behind.

[​IMG]

Silvershield's Bludgeon discourages one of the hairy critters from the fight, the monkey falling down lifeless from the blow.

Another ape finds itself standing in lava as Agreyn retreats away from it.

Two foes left, one of them heavily wounded but the only attack the heroes draw is one Unholy Frenzy.

Agreyn orders his allies to move away from the monkeys and as the hairy foes fail to catch up with them, Mizana slips behind the chimps, spraying both with fire.

The flames licking both monkeys' fur, the critters again move, scampering behind Mizana and Silvershield. The sorceress pulls back while the other ape Pickpockets the dwarf.

Agreyn and Silvershield surround the stronger monkey.

[​IMG]

Boosted by the priestess' Unholy Power and Unholy Frenzy. The fighter lunges at the chimp but although it manages to evade the blow with its Acrobatic Flip, this just gives Agreyn a chance to slip behind the foe, his frenzied Chop hitting the ape's unprotected back as Mizana again creates a pool of lava under the monkey.

The lava and the remaining flames burn down both of the remaining foes, leaving the heroes again alone with the caravan.

[​IMG]

Loot: Shield Of Inertia, Skedaddler's Robe.

7. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

"Damn! Those bloody monkeys stole all the booze from the caravan! After them!"

After a long chase, the heroes again find the hairy foes - all around them.

[​IMG]

The heroes wait for the monkeys to move first and as two of them try to surround Agreyn, the fighter slips to one side as Mizana sprays the hairy foe with fire.

One of the chimps tries to Pickpocket Silvershield.

The monkeys move around Agreyn and one of them again makes the mistake of turning its back on Agreyn who takes advantage of the opportunity and whacks it with a Bludgeon.

The other ape group scampers to join the fight, one of them reaching Silvershield who backs away, whacking another monkey from behind with Bludgeon as well.
    Agreyn gets hit by two failed attempts to Pickpocket him.

[​IMG]

Mizana flings a Sizzling Bolt in the back of one of the monkey's fighting Agreyn.

The chimps try to slip behind the heroes and although Mizana slips away, Silvershield gets Pickpocketed (losing Run). The dwarf moves and parries the next theft attempt.

Meanwhile Agreyn lunges between the monkeys harassing him and hits one in the back with the return blow.
    The hairy foes try to surround him again and Agreyn's axe flies through the air. His Strong Chop hits the weaker foe but the other monkey manages to Duck and hit him back.The fighter swings again, his Strong Bash knocking one of the apes back as it fails to evade the blow.

The monkeys move again and Mizana runs to aid Agreyn, slipping out of reach from the monkey coming after her.

As Agreyn gets pickpocketed, Silvershield dances aside, getting to use her Consuming Touch on one monkey's hairy back and quickly swings around to hit another one with a Strong Bludgeon (better to attack and get blocked than to get hit in the back). The monkey evades the blow with an Acrobatic Flip.

No moves left for anyone...

The group of monkeys jumping around Agreyn suddenly find themselves in a Wall Of Fire and one of them falls in the molten rock, never to get up again.

Silvershield gets hit from behind by a Cowardly Attack.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's Mighty Bludgeon brains the closest monkey as the other group again tries to slip behind Silvershield. The dwarf is quicker though and her Invigorating Touch transfers some of the chimps life force to the priestess.
    The other apes also move towards Silvershield who turns sideways, trying to keep both groups in sight. She fails to Parry the first Cowardly Attack but as the strike comes from in front of her, it does only little damage.

Mizana runs to aid as the dwarf parries a Pickpocket attempt and the sorceress' Mighty Spark fries the weakest war monkey, two of the others finding themselves kneedeep in lava.

[​IMG]

As Mizana moves to a better position, Silvershield gets hit by another Cowardly Attack but this time her dwarven Toughness protects her from the blow.

Mizana's Fire Spray hits two of the monkeys in the back, sending the chimps scurrying in all directions.
    Silvershield slips away from the hairy foes, one of them in pursuit. The priestess turns, surprising the chimp with a Touch Of Death.

Agreyn slips past the dwarf and the monkey, getting slapped with an Unholy Frenzy mid-move.

[​IMG]

His frenzied Chop nearly takes out the chimp and with the flames licking its fur, it falls along with another one.

The last foe quickly falls to Mizana's spells.

Loot: treasure and an Amulet Of The Burning Barrier.

To be continued...

8. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

Agreyn peers forward and unsheaths his club.
    "You've got to be kidding me! In addition to those war monkeys hopping about, there's FLYING monkeys?"

[​IMG]

Silvershield quickly grants Mizana Unholy Power as the monkeys scamper closer. The flying chimps head to the other direction, intending to defend the path leading to the mountains. Ah, a victory square again.

As Mizana blasts the closest foe with her Bungled Bolts, one of the flying apes uses an Acorn Sling at the the sorceress.

Agreyn turns around, running to circle behind the lone monkey. The hairy foe hits him, but as Mizana zaps it one more time, it turns its back towards Agreyn.
    Before the fighter has a chance to hit again, the monkeys move once more towards Silvershield, the lone ape slipping out of Agreyn's reach. Damn, they still had one move left. The dwarf ignores the hooting foe, moving with Mizana towards the protection of the first hedge row.

The sorceress quickly slams a Wall Of Fire on top of the two monkeys moving past the thorny bushes and the flying monkeys move, one of them capturing the area leading to the mountain path.

VP for Gary.

[​IMG]

Mizana blasts the nearest flying monkey with a Mighty Spark as the war monkeys move, two of them targetting Mizana and one slipping behind Agreyn. His quick Mighty Bludgeon crushes the chimp's spine.

The other group manages to Pickpocket Mizana who retreats, then turns to Spark the winged ape as the primates fail fo follow. The foe immediately flies back to safety while the other monkeys move to engage both Silvershield and Mizana.

Silvershield pulls back, grants Mizana new magical strength with her Demonic Feedback and then casts a Healing Presence on Agreyn.
    Mizana grins, and uses her newfound powers to slam another Wall Of Fire at the half-burned chimps.

[​IMG]

Another VP for Gary.

Both the trapped war monkeys howl in pain as the scorching lava burns them alive.

Another flying acorn hits Silvershield's back and she takes off at a trot towards the remaining, flying foes.
    The others follow her and Mizana once again unleashes her fiery spells, hitting both winged chimps with a Wall Of Fire as Silvershield sends Agreyn into an Unholy Frenzy.

Again a VP for Gary, but atleast both foes are in lava.

Another flying acorn fells Mizana. Damn, should have used her second Wall Of Fire last turn. Hmm, I wonder if dangerous terrain filled with lava is still counted as dangerous terrain. If not, then I could have also opened a quicker path through the brambles with lava...

The heroes make slow progress with the barbs slowing Agreyn down, and Silvershield's short stature slowing down her.

Gary is just one VP short of victory and my heroes still require two moves to reach the VP square. Luckily the lava won't expire quite yet.

[​IMG]

Both Silvershield and Agreyn make their way forward, the fighter charging from the wall of barbs towards the flying monkey waiting near the path entrance.
    For some reason the foe just stands there, staring at the incoming fighter. It recovers just in time to Duck under the fighter's blow but as it STILL does nothing, Agreyn tries Chopping it. The foe fails to Duck, but instead its Acrobatic Flip sends the fighter sliding right to the lava-filled path entrance and whacking him with a Trained Bludgeon. Sure, it's lava but it's also the VP square meaning I'll also be just one VP short of victory..

Agreyn howls in pain from the scorching lava even though it's rapidly cooling down.

[​IMG]

Silvershield slips behind the flying monkey, prompting it to escape. The heroes wait, Silvershield getting hit by the weaker chimp's Acorn Sling.

Out of acorn bullets, the foes realize they're unable to drive the heroes away and flee to the safety of the forest. Meaning I got enough VPs to win without having to kill more.

Loot: Nimble Hatchet and treasure.

9. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight four

[​IMG]

Heh, I'd thought the monkey names seemed familiar...

The heroes run forward and the flying monkeys move to guard the entrance area, one of them flinging a sharp acorn at Agreyn.

As the monkey chieftain, Zaius, moves closer, Mizana zaps it with a Mighty Spark and as Silvershield's chanting creates a Mass Frenzy, Agreyn Charges to melee distance, whacking Zaius with a Trained Bludgeon, followed by a Chop that the ferocious monkey manages to evade with an Acrobatic Flip.

The chimps suddenly find themselves in a Wall Of Fire.

A VP for Gary.

The winged monkeys quickly take flight again, one retreating away from the heroes and the other one moving to threaten Agreyn.

[​IMG]

The fighter's frenzied Chop causes the monkey chieftain to fall facefirst in the lava. Its winged ally is faster and although it fails to Duck under the blow, it recovers with an Acrobatic Flip.

The others make their way towards the fight as Agreyn slips behind the flying monkey, slashing the hairy foe with his axe.

Another VP for Gary but Mizana is finally reaching the victory area.

The monkeys again spread out, allowing Agreyn to capture the crucial entrance area while Mizana moves to spray the winged foe with fire.

Heh, the flying monkeys have no attacks?

[​IMG]

A VP for me.

With the lava finally cooling off, both winged chimps dive in to fight Agreyn for control of the entrance area.
    Mizana's Mighty Spark hits one squarely in the back, sending it crashing face first at the huge boulder nearby.

Agreyn sidesteps behind the last monkey, his Lunging Hack wounding it and as it turns to face the fighter, it leaves Silvershield a perfect opening to move behind it.

[​IMG]

The poor ape finds itself in an impossible situation as Silvershield and Agreyn take turns pounding the foe until it falls lifeless to the ground.

Agreyn enters the temple.

After a long while he returns, looking glum.
    "Ah, curse those monkeys! They already drank all the booze! No wonder that Zaius was so easy to beat!"

I have no idea if the monkey chieftain had any dangerous cards in its deck, it fell before it got to use anything really useful...

Anyway, it's Adventure Complete!

The heroes reach Level 17, again gaining a Talent upgrade.

[​IMG]

Loot: Crafted Monkey Boots, Greater Sulphuric Staff, Phantom Cape and treasure.

My victory opens up a new adventure, Temple of Terror (level 16) so I'll probably head there next.

10. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Temple of Terror

"Did you check the lower level of the temple," Silvershield asked Agreyn.
    "Umm... what lower level?"
    "You mean you missed that big stairway?"
    "... hey, that means there might still be some booze there! Chaaaaarge!"

[​IMG]

Spiders and monkeys. For once the VP square is closer to me than the enemies though.

The heroes run towards the middle of the maze, the enemies doing the same.

Silvershield and the spiders reach their target at the same time, but the first arachnid gets a taste of Silvershield's Violent Overswing, the critter failing to Jump Back but instead retaliates with a Vicious Bite.

Agreyn runs to capture the important midpoint, his Chop cutting down the one Silvershield already wounded and and making a long gash on the side of another one.

[​IMG]

Boosted by Silvershield's Demonic Feedback, the fighter quickly parries the next Poisoned Bite from the spiders and then goes on a rampage, his bludgeons and chops crushing one more spider and heavily wounding another.
    Mizana targets the same arachnid with a Sizzling Bolt, then runs to the side passage while Silvershield gets bitten by the spiders.
    The sorceress' Spark surprises the first monkey scampering towards Agreyn and Silvershield, as it fails to Duck under the electric bolt. The hairy foe then finds itself in a pool of lava.

[​IMG]

The chimp also gets hit by a Fire Spray, again failing to Duck the fiery attack.

A VP for me.

The weakest spider falls dead, thanks to the remaining flames from Mizana's earlier spell.

Silvershield boosts Agreyn with an Unholy Power as the last spider bites it once again. Agreyn's frenzied Lunging Hack does extra damage against the Vulnerable arachnid.

Mizana zaps another monkey with a Bungled Bolt, the foe again failing to Duck. It would have been good if the Duck would have triggered on something as weak as a Bungled Bolt, that way I would have been again free to use my stronger attacks against the monkeys.

One of the monkey's manages to Pickpocket Agreyn. The armor roll for Horned Plates triggers and the foe manages to steal Stunning Blow! Gah.

Mizana runs back, blasting the Vulnerable spider with a Sorcerous Blast and Silvershield is forced to retreat from the leaping monkeys as they scamper to surround Agreyn.
    One of the chimps' Cowardly Attack hits Agreyn's back as Silvershield manages to shrug off the poison running through her veins.

Agreyn's Weak Block proves enough against a Stunning Blow from the apes.

Again a VP for me from holding the middle.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's Strong Chop cuts down the last spider along with the spider that still has its back turned, sending the others scurrying to safety.
    With two more foes down, that's enough VPs for me to win.

Loot: treasure and Blocking Mace.

11. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

Two war monkeys, two flying monkeys. Seems quite straightforward, except for the maze.

[​IMG]

Silvershield uses Demonic Feedback to help Mizana as the heroes head towards their hairier enemies.
    Mizana slips to the side passage, using a Wall Of Fire twice to fill the passage with lava.

[​IMG]

The chimps howl as the molten rock eats at their legs and move out of the lava closer. Mizana backs away from the monkey moving next to her as the other ones take the safer route, heading towards Agreyn and Silvershield.

Boosted with Unholy Frenzy, Agreyn runs to engage the first flying monkey, taking a hit from the other one's Acorn Sling, the war monkey scampering behind him.

[​IMG]

The fighter's Mighty Bludgeon crushes the war monkey's skull, but the human takes another acorn in the back.

Mizana turns to create a new lava pool under the chimp pursuing her, just in time to avoid taking its Cowardly Attack in the back.

Trusting her lava to finish the closer off foe, the sorceress uses her Sorcerous Blast at the winged ape near Agreyn instead. The flying foe also fails to evade Agreyn's three successive blows, crashing against the wall lifeless. Three failed Acrobatic Flip rolls!

The last war monkey stumbles in the scorching lava, burning alive.

The last winged chimp does a bit better, managing to drop Agreyn with another deadly acorn.

On Mizana's command, Silvershield slips aside - and the last monkey makes the mistake of moving to the same room as Silvershield!

[​IMG]

The priestess slips behind the winged foe, using her Invigorating Touch to wound the foe and heal herself.
    The monkey turns to face the dwarf - and gets blasted down by Mizana's Mighty Spark.

Loot: Marshall's Boots (Agreyn takes) and Charging Battler.

12. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

"Whew, we're finally out of that bloody maze," Mizana mumbles as they walk towards the bridge.
    Agreyn nods.
    "Yeah, now to find by boo... IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?"

[​IMG]

Silvershield quickly grants Mizana Unholy Power, then moves ahead with Agreyn.

As Mizana blasts the closest chimp with a Dissolve Armor spell, the apes scamper forward again, the first one attempting to get behind Agreyn but the fighter is quicker and his Able Bludgeon hits the monkey in the back before it has a chance to turn.
    As the monkey spins to face the fighter, Silvershield takes advantage of the opportunity, whacking the hairy foe with a Powerful Bludgeon. The chimp spins around again, its attempt at a Cowardly Attack not doing much damage with Agreyn already facing the right way.

[​IMG]

Silvershield takes the wounded monkey down with one more Bludgeon that the hairy critter fails to evade as its ally hits Agreyn with another weak Cowardly Attack.

Hah, the monkeys only have Acrobatic Flip and Simian Reflexes left, leaving Mizana free to move forward....

Mizana runs ahead.
    The hell mantis spits acid at the sorceress (Dissolve Armor) but the fiery redhead just ignores the attack and zaps the closest monkey with a Mighty Spark.
    I want to make sure that the big monster has no more moves left before using my Wall Of Fire.

The monkey chieftain runs closer as Agreyn's Strong Bash sends the closest chimp sliding back.

"That chieftain looks exactly like the one we whacked earlier..." Silvershield notes, looking at the monkey leader crossing the bridge.
    "They all look alike to me..." Mizana shrugs, zapping the chieftain with a Mighty Spark. The quick foe manages to catch the bolt with his Polearm Slash, the weapon absorbing some of the damage.
    The sorceress shrugs and instead turns to create a Wall Of Fire under the huge insect.

[​IMG]

The huge foe shrieks with an ear-shattering voice as its Horned Plates (two of them) fail to protect it from the scorching lava.

Mizana sprays the closest chimp with fire (the foe succeeding in its Simian Reflexes roll) as the hell mantis spits acid, creating a pool of the corroding liquid under the sorceress.

Silvershield grants Mizana a Healing Presence, waiting for the primates to move closer as the hellish insect scuttles past the molten rock.

The two remaining war monkeys try to slip behind Agreyn but this just gives the fighter the opportunity to use his Stunning Blow against the weaker one.
    The other tries to Pickpocket the fighter who turns around and instead heads to intercept the monkey chieftain who in turn ignores him, instead trying to slip past him in order to hit Mizana.
    The fighter swears and his Mighty Bludgeon slams into the chieftain's side, the hairy leader's Acrobatic Flip failing to take it out of the harm's way. And it also fails both armor rolls.
    The monkey retaliates with a Polearm Slash and the war monkeys move to surround the fighter.

The chieftain's hoots seem to Energize the stronger war monkey who manages to strike down Agreyn with a Cowardly Attack from behind, but atleast the weaker one falls to the remaining flames form Mizana's earlier spell.

[​IMG]

Mizana pulls back next to Silvershield and as the chieftain moves to pursue, Mizana turns to spray it with fire.
    The nimble foe manages to block the fiery blast with its polearm, then uses it to slash the sorceress.

The huge insect again hits Mizana with an acidic attack, dissolving Mizana's armor.

I keep clicking Pass, waiting for the foes to use their visible move cards before using the Wall Of Fire.

The chieftain manages to Steal the stone Mizana was holding (stole the Wall Of Fire card. Damn.)
    The other monkey moves to flank Silvershield but the dwarf parries its Cowardly Attack. The priestess turns to whack the chieftain with a Strong Bludgeon but its Acrobatic Flip allows it to evade the blow and sends Silvershield sliding into the acid puddle left by the hell mantis' attack.

The huge foe lumbers closer.

I pass first, considering the chance to move first more important than the small damage I'll take from the acid.

The current version has the bug that the monkeys don't seem to actually use some of the attacks they steal, Wall Of Fire being one of the problematic cards... Whew.

[​IMG]

Silvershield's Violent Overswing catches the monkey chieftain in the back, killing the annoying foe.

The last monkey tries to slip behind Mizana, but the sorceress easily backs away, Silvershield doing the same against the insect monster's advance.

Mizana spins around, using her Fire Spray against the chimp tailing her as the hell mantis spits another pool of acid under Silvershield.

The war monkey switches targets, scampering towards Silvershield who backs away, mostly to get away from the acid pool.

Mizana runs the other way and the oversized insect slams another acid pool under Silverhield, Mizana use the opportunity to hit the monter with a Sizzling Bolt that does only minimal damage thanks to the mantis' Horned Plates.

The monstrous critter scuttles around the pillar, moving to attack Silvershield. The dwarf is ready for this and hits the huge foe with a Consuming Touch which manages to hit a vulnerable spot and the huge insect collapses, falling from the cliff into the chasm below.

[​IMG]

Mizana zaps the lone monkey with a Bungled Bolt that manages to slip past its Monkey Mail.

The chimp runs toward Silvershield who moves out of the acid pool, then deftly parries the ape's Pickpocket attempt.

With the foe between them Mizana and Silvershield have an easy task hitting the lone war monkey in the back by alternating their attacks and the chimp soon ends up dead on the floor.

Adventure Complete!

[​IMG]

Loot: Glowing Jewel, Cloak Of Insinct, Frosty Staff, Dragonfly Boots, Charging Battler and treasure.

irongamer likes this.
  13. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Ok, guess it's now time to go chop some trees again and go after

Black Oaken Heart

[​IMG]

Ah, yeah. Forgot to switch equipment before heading out. Blocks would have been a lot more useful than Parry cards here and walls would have been even better.

Agreyn runs behind the first bush with Silvershield behind him, the dwarf taking a hit from one oak's Acorn Sling.
    Mizana moves forward, staying behind cover as well as the leafy foes move about, another foe managing to fling an acorn at Silvershield.

Hmm, that might already be all the acorns the foes have this turn, so it may be better to move now...

Agreyn moves ahead with a Surging Block, the spreading oak using its Entangling Roots to slow the fighter down.
    Silvershield follows and the trees quickly back away.
    Both Silvershield and Agreyn push on, the fighter's Weak Block stopping the Mighty Limb Smash of one of the oaks and the frightened trees back away even further.

Mizana's Mighty Spark hits one of the spreading oaks from behind, the blast partly stopped by its Tough Bark.

Agreyn gets whacked by one of the bombardiers while another one again uses its Acorn Sling on Silvershield, the priestess barely staying on her feet.

[​IMG]

Agreyn quickly runs to the nearest oak, drawing its attention away from Silvershield who is able to slip to safety as the trees fling acorns at Agreyn. The enraged fighter lets his axe do the talking, his two chops cleaving big chunks out of the bombardier and his Strong Bash whacking the foe next to Silvershield who is more than happy to smash the foe into two with a Powerful Bludgeon.

Agreyn gets hit by another acorn but one of the oaks makes the mistake of moving closer to Mizana and the sorceress is quick to move closer, dissolving the tree's Tough Bark with her spell, then using her fire and electrical spells to bring the tough foe to half its original health.

Agreyn manages to Parry a Mighty Limb Smash from the burning oak.

[​IMG]

Hmm, this is tricky. Both Agreyn and Silvershield may fall to a single hit so it's better not to move either yet. Mizana has a Wall Of Fire but I'd rather wait for the trees to use their moves first and she's currently unable to move to a spot where she could hit both trees in the eastern pair with Fire Spray. Oh, well, I'll pass then.

As the heroes wait for the trees to move first, one of the oaks proves smart enough to launch an Acorn Barrage from behind cover, still hitting Agreyn with its area attack. The fighter remain standing thanks to his Rusty Armor and quickly moves to engage the tree before it has a chance to recover and whacks it twice as the bombardier moves the other way.

Bah, the way the enemies are located, there's no way for Mizana to reach a spot where she could hit two trees with her Wall Of Fire. Oh well, I can still fry one of them...

The northern oak suddenly finds itself root-deep in lava, the scorching heat turning the dangerous tree into a huge torch.

Agreyn's opponent retreats from the fighter with the fighter following right after the tree.

[​IMG]

Mizana runs to cut off the oaks' retreat. And looks like the foes have no attack cards as Gary has passed twice in a row already. Suits me just fine...

The sorceress sprays both trees with fire twice, despite the bombardier's attempt to slip away. Her spells fail to actually damage the closer oak as it's multiple layers of Tough Bark protect it from the initial flames but it still manages to turn and Strong Bludgeon the woman. Ah, so Gary did still have on attack in store.

As Silvershield moves towards Agreyn, the other oak suddenly turns and flings a deadly acorn at Agreyn, knocking the fighter out of the fight. Gah. And the most annoying part is that Agreyn had Guardian Angel in hand but the diagonal movement left him facing the wrong way and since Guardian Angel follows the facing rules of Block cards, it didn't trigger. Grumble.

Silvershield roars with anger, moving behind the closer oak and hitting the foe with a Violent Overswing that slips past the first layer of its Tough Barks.

Mizana commands the dwarf to slip to a safer location, then does the same herself.

[​IMG]

Assessing the situation quickly, Mizana decides to take the risk and runs around the bush, getting hit by a Mighty Limb Smash from the spreading oak.
    Silvershield sacrifices herself by using a Demonic Feedback on Mizana to grant her deadlier ally more spells, then falls and the bombardier quickly slips to her place, away from Mizana. The sorceres creates a Wall Of Fire under the other tree, frying the Combustible foe once and for all.

One foe left. If I want to kill it, I'll have to risk getting whacked by an acorn. Good thing it only has one unrevealed card in hand.

Mizana moves to pin down the last oak and although it whacks her with a Long Thin Branch, the sorceress is free to unleash her spell arsenal:
    Powerful Spark, strenghened by her Spark Inductor. No damage, both armor rolls succeed.
    Sorcerous Blast. 4 damage, one armor roll succeeds.
    Bungled Bolt. 3 damage, neither roll succeeds.
    Wall Of Fire. At this point the tree is down to 6hp so even both Tough Barks succeeding won't save it.

The last tree burns down, its final howls echoing in the forest.

Loot: Shield Of The Aggressor, Warrior's Mace.

Before the next fight, Agreyn switches to a Simple Wooden Shield.
    Mizana replaces a couple of her arcane items with Amulet Of The Clouded Minds.
    Silvershield switches her shield with a Shield Of The Dervish.

14. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

Cool, three goblin berzerkers and three war monkeys. A nice change of pace after the previous fight.

Silvershield's chanting sends the heroes into a Mass Frenzy as the monkeys scamper closer.

[​IMG]

The dwarf moves ahead and as the chimps move to surround her, she quickly spins around and targets one of them with her Invigorating Touch. As the hairy foe turns to face the priestess, Agreyn's Able Bludgeon hits it in the back.

The berzerkers begin to cross the bridge, eager to join the fight.

Gary passes, could the monkeys really have no attacks this turn?

Agreyn moves to flank the monkeys, sending the primates scurrying. The fighter isn't one to miss an opportunity and his frenzied Bludgeon hits one chimp's hairy back. As it spins around to face Agreyn, Mizana's Mighty Spark hits it.

Mizana quickly uses her Wall Of Fire twice in a row, one of them catching two goblins and the other targeting the monkeys.

[​IMG]

The foes howl in pain, the weakest monkey never managing to escape the scorching lava.

Agreyn turns to whack one of the retreating monkeys, his Horned Plates and Silvershield's earlier spell making his Weak Strike quite strong enough to kill the fleeing chimp.

The remaining monkey attempts to Pickpocket Silvershield but the priestess just ignores the foe and instead moves to intercept the first berzerker, her frenzied Violent Overswing nearly killing the goblin outright.
    The berzerker recovers from the blow and retaliates with a Powerful Hack as the last monkey tries to slip behind the dwarf.

The goblins push forward (damn, they had two moves) and Silvershield gets hit with a Strong Chop, Agreyn managing to Block the same swing.

[​IMG]

Silvershield's Simple Bash manages to off the weakest berzerker but another one unleashes a Massive Chop that cuts the dwarf down and heavily wounds Agreyn. At least Horned Plates didn't trigger so I can counterattack more effectively even without Mass Frenzy that already expired.
    Agreyn strikes the closest berzerker with a Trained Bludgeon, his frenzied blow doing extra damage thanks to the enemies Raging Strike. The goblins move to surround him, but his Chop just cuts another red foe down, wounding the last berzerker heavily.

Agreyn retreats and as the last war monkey turns to hit Mizana with another futile Pickpocket attempt, the sorceress retreats as well. The berzerker attempts to follow Agreyn but the fighter proves faster, easily outrunning the goblin.

No attacks for Agreyn and just a Maze and a Bungled Bolt for Mizana. More retreating then.

Mizana wades into the stream as Agreyn once again backs away from the frothing goblin. The sorceress hits the berzerker with a Bungled Bolt, again doing extra damage as the goblin's rage leaves it unprotected.

And still no attacks for Agreyn, but Mizana has better luck.

[​IMG]

The heroes again pull back to keep out of the enemies' range until Mizana suddenly stops, blasting the berzerker down with a Mighty Spark. She then turns and the last monkey suddenly finds itself trapped in a Maze, sending it ambling in a totally wrong direction which allows Mizana's Sorcerous Blast to hit its unprotected back.

The primate soon makes its last mistake as it scampers past Agreyn, allowing Agreyn to end its miserable life with a well-aimed Chop from behind.

[​IMG]

Loot: Boots Of The Cheetah, Arcane Chit.

15. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight three

[​IMG]

More tricky maps. The spreading oak is on a hard to reach location on the other side of the river but with good view to bombard the heroes.

The maples move closer, Agreyn moving to intercept the first tree. He gets Bashed but as his location prevents him from sliding back, he retains his footing, retaliating with a Mighty Bludgeon, followed by a normal one.
    The maple pushes past Agreyn but this just brings it into range of Silvershield's club and Mizana also moves to help, burning the leafy foe down with a Sizzling Bolt.

The spreading oak decides to wade through the river allowing its Acorn Barrage to hit both Silvershield and Mizana despite their cover. Well, looks like its initial location doesn't matter much when it doesn't stay there.

Silvershield uses her chants to boost Mizana with Unholy Power and Agreyn with Unholy Wellspring and as the maples approach, Mizana heads southwest. She only has a chance to zap the maples once before they move on, heading to attack Silvershield. Agreyn runs to her aid.
    The maple targets both heroes with a Sweeping Smash, Silvershield managing to Hit The Deck unlike Agreyn who is too slow to Block the quick blow.
    Agreyn's return blow connects solidly, its unholy strength countering the protection provided by the foe's Solid Wood.

[​IMG]

Well, the cards aren't exactly promising, yet.

Silvershield quickly uses Demonic Feedback to boost Agreyn (drew Mighty Bludgeon, yes!). The fighter again fails to Block the Tree Limb Smash of the the nearest maple, the blow doing horrible damage to the human. Ouch, 15 damage, and that's after one successful armor roll.
    Hoping that her ally will be able to survive atleast one more blow, Silvershield slaps him into a Unholy Frenzy.
    Another Tree Limb Smash comes whooshing through the air towards Agreyn - and the fighter's shield is again too late, the blow driving the human into the ground like a spike. GAAAAH!!!!!
    One of these days I'm going to get a t-shirt that says 'The dice are trying to kill me'...

It's a bit unlikely I'll be able to win this one without my fighter, but let's see how much damage I'll be able to do before falling...

Mizana waits for the trees to move once more, then she quickly slips between them, Silvershield following her example.

The maple standing in the river uses her Entangling Roots, intending to stop Silvershield but the dwarf manages to Hit The Deck and prevent the roots from hitting her (but accomplishing the same effect...).

Mizana sprays the approaching Combustible maple with fire, then quickly retreats while Silvershield gets Bashed back. This moves the dwarf just close enought to allow the spreading oak hit both heroes with an Acorn Bombardment.
    This proves too much for the priestess and she falls.

Mizana zaps the nearest maple with a Sorcerous Blast.

[​IMG]

...and only now I get my first Wall Of Fire.

Mizana's Mighty Spark fails to get past the burning maple's Solid Wood and it continues its pursuit, even though heavily damaged.
    The sorceress easily evades the trees, then turns to create a Wall Of Fire under the nearest ones.

The molten rock finally burns down the weakest maple and does heavy damage against the next one but it manages to stop the sorceress with its Entangling Roots and the other trees march closer, intending to trap and kill the human.

Mizana quickly uses a Maze spell on the nearest maple, sending the disoriented tree stumbling back into the lava it managed to already flee.
    And then Gary passes for some strange reason...

The confused maple turns into a torch right before the lava cools down to nondangerous levels.

I did manage to kill two maples but now theres' no safe escape route...

[​IMG]

Mizana lays down a Wall Of Illusion in front of her and as the southern maple tries to approach Mizana, the tree is forced to stop by the confusing sight and the sorceress is able to trap the leafy foe with a Wall Of Fire, zapping the maple with a Spark for additional bite.

The tree takes damage but Mizana soon falls.

To be continued...

16. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Attempt two

Since there's only one ranged enemy, I again switch back to shields with more Parry cards.
    Agreyn also switches his boots to Boxer's Boots and his axe to a Blocking Mace.
    Mizana switches one of her amulets to a Greenstone Pendant.

Silvershield and Agreyn run along the northern edge, both attacking the maple pushing through the small opening towards them.
    Agreyn's all three blows connect until the tree finally Bashes the fighter back but Silvershield does the same, knocking the leafy foe backwards as well.

Another maple manages to catch up with Agreyn, hitting the fighter with a Sweeping Smash. The maples had three movement cards in hand, bah.

[​IMG]

Agreyn whacks the maple with a Powerful Bludgeon, the foe countering by Bashing the fighter back.

The other nearby foe again tries to push through the small opening to reach Silvershield but the dwarf is ready with her Touch Of Death, the mighty tree withering completely from the spell's unholy power. The maples had 6 cards in hand so the spell did 12 damage which was more than enough...

The other trees move, one of them apparently trying to flank Silvershield but Mizana is ready and moves to stop the maple.
    She unleashes her arsenal of spells on the unlucky foe. Big Zap. Mighty Spark. Sorcerous Blast. Wall Of Fire.
    The sorceress gets hit by an Acorn Barrage and the maple's Solid Wood protects it just enough to keep it still in the fight despite all the damage caused by Mizana's spells and the lava.

Agreyn tries to retreat from the closest maple but gets hit by Entangling Roots from another one.

Gary had already passed but this just gave me a chance to pass first.

[​IMG]

...aaand no attacks for Agreyn. Yeesh.

Mizana gets hit by Entangling Roots from the heavily burned maple.

Agreyn runs between the trees and as the maples move to pursue him, he quickly sidesteps towards the spreading oak, hoping to scare it into retreating.
    The oak is not frightened though and as it tries to fling an acorn at the fighter, he's forced to Jump Back, ending right in the maple's reach. Agreyn tries again (using his Jump Back as a move card).

On the other side of the battle, the tree Agreyn had previously weakened tries to hit Silvershield with a Tree Limb Smash but the dwarf's Toughness saves her from damage.
    The priestess immediately counters with a Violent Overswing, then retreats towards Mizana.

Agreyn's gambit seems to work out as the spreading oak retreats, moving to regain a safer distance. Unfortunately he gets again hit by Entangling Roots which wouldn't otherwise be a problem but it triggers Horned Plates, removing the highly useful frenzy...

Too bad Mizana is halted by the Entangling Roots, now I'd have had a great opportunity to hit two trees with Wall Of Fire.

[​IMG]

Mizana's Mighty Spark takes out the weak maple near Agreyn.
    Another one moves to attack the fighter instead, but Agreyn's ready for this and hits the foe with a Trained Bludgeon. The maple's Tree Limb Smash catches him by surprise, the fighter's Parry attempt failing miserably. AAAAAAGGGGGHHHH... Rolled a 1 on the first critical roll of the fight!

Mizana moves past the lava. Gary passes but he hasn't even used his revealed move cards yet. I'll need to draw those out before using Wall Of Fire.
    Silvershield grants Mizana a Healing Presence and the spreading oak retreats again. The heroes stand their ground and the maples march closer to attack.

Silvershield takes no chances and whacks the approaching tree down with a Powerful Bludgeon. I could have tried with a normal Bludgeon but if the foe had any armor cards, it could have survived and hit Silvershield.

The weakest remaining tree moves again, leaving Mizana unable to target both maples with her Wall Of Fire. The sorceress shrugs and settles for trapping the closer foe with her lava spell. The maple turns out to be quick enough to back out of the molten rock though. Damn. The luck just isn't with me in this fight.

As Silvershield moves to a better position, the spreading oak reaches the long passage Mizana is standing on. The sorcerer, not wanting to get hit by an acorn, fills the end of the passage with a Wall Of Illusion.

[​IMG]

Damn, forgot to check the duration of the illusionary wall and somehow assumed it would last longer than just one turn.
    And then got no attacks for Mizana. Sigh.

As the illusion clears, Mizana gets a hit from the Acorn Sling of the faraway oak. The sorcerer slips away while Silvershield moves to intercept the stronger maple. As it reaches her, the priestess uses her Touch Of Death on it but the tree's Powerful Bash sends the dwarf sliding back before she has a chance to attack again.

Hmm, I just realized... If I want to have any chance of winning this fight, I'll need to kill the spreading oak first while Silvershield still has most of her health. The maples I'll be able to run away from but there's no safe way to attack the ranged foe, especially once Silvershield gets low on health.

Playing hide and seek with the maples, Silvershield manages to slip past the towering trees and Mizana manages to fling a Sizzling Bolt at the more Combustible one.

Realizing there's no safe route for Mizana to get past the maples, Silvershield decides to take a risk and turns around, moving to attack the weaker maple. The leafy foe targets her with a Powerful Bash but with no room behind her to slide to, she quickly regains her footing and uses her Invigorating Touch on the foe, mending of the damage done by the tree's attack. The tree made its Solid Wood roll. Bah. Silvershield hits the foe again, leaving it barely standing.

[​IMG]

With the flames eating the weaker maple alive, Mizana again has a safe path and immediately puts it to use as the last maple moves towards her.

The heroes make their way towards the oak, making sure to stay behind cover at all times.
    They finally they get their chance to attack, even if its highly risky:

[​IMG]

Mizana runs around the western side of the hedge, hoping to force the oak to retreat. The tree hits her with a Acorn Barrage, wounding the sorceress but her Mail takes some of the damage.
    As Mizana's Dissolve Armor spell hits the tree, it retreats - but not far enough for Silvershield to reach. Mizana pushes forward and gets whacked by another deadly acorn.

And the cards fail me again. Silvershield draws Minor Heal and Reliable Hide. Oh well.

Silvershield bravely attempts to charge the oak but soon falls. The next turn also failed to bring any attacks and Silvershield also failed a Parry roll. Yeesh.

17. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Attempt three

Agreyn and Silvershield start off with no actual attacks.

Silvershield boosts Mizana with Unholy Wellspring.
    As the southern maples prove annoyingly good at keeping out of Mizana's view, she moves to other side of Silvershield and instead zaps the first maple coming along the edge of the map with her sparks, the unholy boost countering the protection of the tree's Solid Wood. The maple manages to counter with its Entangling Roots, trapping the sorceress in place.

[​IMG]

An Acorn Barrage hits Mizana and Silvershield, damaging the severely wounded maple as well.

Gah. Mizana's new cards: Maze and Winds Of War. Then again, since Mizana still has Unholy Wellspring in effect...

Mizana uses a spell to control the weather, her Winds Of War managing to topple the nearest maple as its Solid Wood fails to protect it from the wind (Whew, finally a failed roll when I needed it) and sending another one sliding farther from the heroes.

While Silvershield boosts Agreyn into Unholy Frenzy (which causes a successful armor roll on Horned Plates, DAMN!), added with the priestess' Mass Frenzy chant, the fighter waits for the trees to move closer.
    Before that, another Acorn Barrage hits, this time hitting only Agreyn, his Mail failing to stop any of the damage.

With the Slowed maple failing to reach lunging range, Agreyn decides to act, not wanting to waste any of spell-added strength.
    He runs around the bush, manages to Parry the enemy's Powerful Bash (drawing another Parry) and hits the tree back with a double-frenzied Lunging Hack, part of the blow's damage getting stopped by the tree's Solid Wood.

The other trees move closer, Agreyn getting slowed down by Entangling Roots from one of them.

[​IMG]

Agreyn continues his fight against the nearest tree, hitting it with a Powerful Bludgeon, parrying another Powerful Bash attempt, then following up with another Able Bludgeon. Both hits fail to find a weak spot in the foe's Solid Wood and Mizana moves to aid the fighter, hitting the weakened foe with a Surging Bolt that's even less effective.

Silvershield also moves next to Agreyn and as another maple moves into range, she quickly uses her Touch Of Death against it. Woo, 12 damage. The new foe attempts to Bash Agreyn but this just slams the fighter against the bush right behind him and the fighter easily recovers, swinging at both nearby foes with a Weak Chop that finally manages to find a crack in the weaker tree's bark and the towering foe falls down, the light going dim in its glowing eyes.

Silvershield moves aside, allowing Mizana to take her place and spray the other, weakened, Combustible foe with fire as the spreading oak manages to find a path allowing it to target both humans with an Acorn Barrage.

The flames from Mizana's spell finally bring down the second maple and Agreyn retreats as the next tree takes its place.

Silvershield boosts Agreyn with an Unholy Frenzy. Not for this turn, but for the next one, especially since I'd hate to just discard it.

Mizana runs towards east along with the others, using her Wall Of Fire against the oak as it moves into view. The sorceress falls to the tree's Acorn Sling but the oak is unable to leave the lava in time and howls in pain as the molten rock eats at its roots.

And for some bizarre reason Gary starts the next turn by PASSING?

[​IMG]

Not one to turn down such a gift, I quickly pass as well.

The oak's howls fill the mazelike area as it burns in the scorching heat until finally managing to move away. This just brings it close enough for Agreyn to reach with a Run, the scared oak responding with an Acorn Bombardment that hits everyone in the area, friend and foe alike.

[​IMG]

Agreyn's Trained Bludgeon finally brings the hated oak down and he quickly turns to hit the maple that tries to take advantage of the chaos by moving behind him. His Powerful Bludgeon smashes a big chunk out of the maple's trunk.
    The tree hits Silvershield with a Powerful Bash that the dwarf fails to Parry.

The other maple tries to slip behind Agreyn. The fighter turns and manages to Parry the leafy foe's Bash. Phew.
    Agreyn spins around, hitting Silvershield's opponent with a Bludgeon, allowing the priestess to finish the enemy off with Unholy Frenzy and a Simple Bash. Thankfully the foes were stupid enough to discard their armor cards.

Silvershield moves next to Agreyn, hoping to draw the last maple's attention away from Agreyn.

[​IMG]

Silvershield's attempt proves successful as the last tree targets her with a Powerful Bash instead of Agreyn. She deftly parries the blow, allowing both heroes to gang up on the tree.

The maple quickly falls to the heroes' blows. It didn't even get any armor cards this time.

Phew, that a fight. Too bad I have a feeling the next fight isn't going to be any easier and I don't have any extra attempts left anymore...

Loot: Ogre Hide Armor, Gazelle Moccasins.

The heroes switch equipment again, in case there will be more ranged enemies again.
    Agreyn: back to Simple Axe, Simple Wooden Shield and he decides to try Crafted Monkey Boots.
    Mizana: back to second Amulet Of The Clouded Mind.

18. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight four

[​IMG]

Whoa, a real boss fight, only one foe to take down. Cool!

The huge tree glares at the intruders, its eyes filled with ancient hate.
    "Puny humans! How dare you disturb my forest? Soon your blood will flow and feed our hungry roots..."

The heroes take a look at each other, then quickly spread out. Silvershield heads south and gets hit with a Mighty Limb Smash and Agreyn Scampers east while the oak king hits both Mizana and Silvershield with an Acorn Bombardment.

Whoops, better use that Wall Of Fire soon if I want to get to use it at all.

Mizana also sidesteps from behind the boulder but the tree king retreats, pulling mostly out of Mizana's range. Damn it, I was afraid of moving too close in case Oakshade had some shorter range attacks in store, should have taken the risk anyway...

Agreyn runs forward, getting boosted by Silvershield's Unholy Frenzy as the huge oak keeps flinging acorns at the heroes, first hitting both women with an Acorn Barrage, then hitting both Silvershield and Agreyn with an Acorn Bombardment.

Silvershield quickly uses a Minor Heal on Mizana, hoping against hope that the sorceress' spells would allow the heroes to win this fight.
    I can just reach the nearest square with Wall Of Fire but I'd really need to use all three squares on the foe if I wanted to win this fight...

[​IMG]

Well, if the oak king fails to kill Mizana with its first two cards, I'll be able to stun it and use Wall Of Fire properly against it. I have my doubts...

Another Acorn Bombardment hits Agreyn and Silvershield, knocking the dwarf out of the fight. The fighter quickly runs up to the huge tree, the foe using its Entangling Roots against the human. WOOHOO!!!!

Agreyn's Stunning Blow leaves mighty Oakshade in a disoriented state and it tries to shuffle past Agreyn, wanting to move away in order to clear its wooden head.

Mizana moves closer as the mighty tree decides to Muscle Through, moving away from Agreyn.

[​IMG]

Mizana raises her staff, staring at the huge tree with fury in her eyes.
    "I am fire! I am lightning! I am the destroyer of forests, I'm tree death personified! I've come for you Oakshade, you miserable little sapling who dares to call yourself king of trees!"

Her spells start hitting the huge foe. Spark. Spark. Sorcerous Blast. Wall Of Fire.

Agreyn moves next to the tree king, waiting for the scorching lava to start eating at the huge foe.

[​IMG]

Oakshade howls, howling in a voice loud enough to knock both still standing heroes on their backsides.

The mighty tree's branches flail about, its eyes filling with sheer terror as its roots catch fire from the scorching lava, the flames quickly rising higher and higher, until its multitude of leaves suddenly catches on fire in a huge ball of flame.

[​IMG]

The heroes back away from the huge torch, watching as Oakshade's black reign comes to a fiery end.

Adventure Complete! Woohoo!

The loot feels almost underwhelming after all the excitement of the last two fights: Greater Sulphuric Staff, Fluttering Amulet, Phantom Cape, Tome Of Sanctity.

[​IMG]

Well, that was a tough adventure. Next time I'll be heading to Dungeon of the Swamp King.

mightymushroom likes this.
  19. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Dungeon of the Swamp King

"They said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp but I built it all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp," Agreyn quoted in a mocking tone. "But before it managed to do just that, some bloody fools were needed to save some bloody cat - "
    "Lorikeet," Mizana corrected.
    "I don't care if it's a bird, a cat or a bloody skunk! I have better things to do than running a pet retrieval service!"
    "Yeah, like losing all your money betting on a three-legged horse," Silvershield chuckles.
    "... the odds were great though..." Agreyn grumbled as he skulked out of sight.

[​IMG]

Whee, oozes again. I should've switched equipment before beginning the adventure...

Silvershield looks at the amount of nasty blobs in the room, she turns around, infusing Agreyn with Unholy Power.

Mizana gets blasted with a Blob Of Slime by one of the ochre slimes as Agreyn takes off, running to cut off the easternmost green jelly's escape path. His Mighty Bludgeon fails to damage the foe's Amorphous Body but he quickly shoulders his club and instead whacks the Vulnerable foe with a Strong Chop.

As the green blob tries to slither away, Mizana's eyes turn towards it and the puddle gets hit by a Sorcerous Blast before it has a chance to slip behind the pillar.
    The sorceress moves again, pulling away from the ochre slime and turns to zap it instead with a Bungled Bolt.

Gah, REALLY should've switched equipment. I still have an empty weapon slot on Agreyn from trying to replicate one bug. Oh well, even if I fail this first attempt, this is a chance to find out just what cards those ochre slimes are using...

Mizana runs closer while Agreyn gets blasted with a Blob Of Slime.

[​IMG]

The sorceress' Fire Spray hits the nearest oozes, the green jelly flinging another acid blob towards Agreyn, turning the ground underneath him into a pool of acid.

Agreyn charges ahead, parrying the ochre slime's attempt to Bash him back. Mizana quickly uses a Dissolve Armor spell to counteract the slime's normally Amorphous Body, allowing the fighter's hits to damage the stronger blob normally.

As Agreyn goes on the attack, his blows killing the green jelly and damaging the ochre slime, Mizana gets hit by another slimy blob. She quickly casts a Wall Of Illusion to prevent another hit from the northwest.

Silvershield Bludgeons the Vulnerable slime moving to attack her, then heals Mizana, pulling again to a safer distance.

I still have no idea what kind of melee attacks those slimes have in addition to weak Bashes, but since they keep moving to melee range, they must have something bad in store.

Agreyn's Lunging Hack hits the closer green jelly trying to move through Mizana's illusionary wall.

[​IMG]

Agreyn gets hit from behind with a Shambling Bash as the ochre slime moves after the fighter. Ah, that's probably the answer I was waiting for.

Mizana spins around, hitting the other, more Vulnerable slime behind her with a Mighty Spark.
    The ooze tries to move towards Silvershield but her vSimple Bash[/card] knocks the enemy back, leaving it in bad enough shape that the initial jolt from Unholy Frenzy is enough to kill it.

The dying foes constantly have Death Melds active, but it doesn't do much good to them when the oozes don't stick close enough to each other...

Agreyn gets hit by another Blob Of Slime while Silvershield marches to engage the green foes.

The green jellies still haven't moved, so they're probably out of move cards.

Mizana raises her hands and a Wall Of Fire erupts under the green foes.

Agreyn whacks the ochre slime beside him with a Bludgeon, then pulls back as Mizana does the same. Both are weak enough to fall to a single Shambling Bash.

The scorching lava melts a big part of the green jellies but they're still big enough when they move out.

[​IMG]

...and a bad round for Agreyn and Mizana, I see. Hmm, I wonder if the ochre slime has managed to draw Amorphous Body or not. There's of course one way to find out but if the foe has Shambling Bash, I'll just get whacked backwards no matter how I try to approach. Oh well...

Silvershield moves between the ochre slime and the southern pillar, using the sturdy rock to prevent the ooze's Bash from sliding her away. The dwarf counters with a Powerful Bludgeon - and turns the slime into hundreds of droplets that paint the walls of the room with a remarkably ugly color. Phew, no Amorphous Body yet.

Suddenly the ground under Mizana and Silvershield turns into mud, apparently because of the green jellies' magical powers.

Silvershield is the only one with attacks but she doesn't have any moves left. Mizana is already safe behind the pillar and Agreyn is safer the way he is now, as moving him would allow the enemy to hit him in the back and his blocks would do no good then. So i Pass.

The jellies both retreat, scattering in different directions.

[​IMG]

Silvershield marches towards the western jelly, pinning it against the wall but taking a Blob Of Slime on her back from the other one.
    Agreyn runs after the other one, also taking a slimy hit in his back, but his armor keeps him still standing and his Strong Chop almost kills the Vulnerable foe.

The other jelly falls to Silvershield's and Mizana's spells and the last ooze finds itself in a scorching pool of lava which rapidly cooks it, leaving the room again safe.

Loot: Sparkling Mail, Cloak Of Insinct

I have no idea whether the next fights will be against oozes or something completely different so I go with variety for Agreyn and Silvershield's weapons. And switch Mizana back to more fiery spells. Fire is good.

20. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Fight two

"Aha, I knew the Duke had skeletons in his closet!"

And now I probably have too many chops for this fight... Oh well.

Silvershield uses Demonic Feedback on Mizana as the ochre slimes move closer.
    Agreyn draws his axe, running to intercept them and Mizana backs away from the third skeleton that decides to come after her.

The bony foes charge, forcing the sorceress to pull back even farther but Silvershield stays where she is, enduring a Reaching Swing from the foe but retaliating with a Consuming Touch.

Agreyn gets hit with a Blob Of Slime as Mizana unleashes her spells, beginning with a Bungled Bolt against the most Vulnerable skeleton.

The slimes move forward.

[​IMG]

Agreyn swings his axe, his two Chops damaging the oozes but he also takes heavy hits himself.

Mizana's Sorcerous Blast hits the weakest of the flaming foes just as it whacks Agreyn with a Perforating Strike. Another Shambling Bash takes the fighter out just as Mizana's Wall Of Fire hits some of the foes around Agreyn - and the skeletons quickly move out of the lava. Argh.

Mizana uses a Fire Spray to hit the bony foe moving to next to her.

The foes force Mizana and Silvershield to back into the corner, Silvershield managing to break the weakest skeleton with a very short Charge. She gets hit by a Pseudopod Strike.

[​IMG]

Silvershield counters with a Chop, the swing doing no damage against the skeleton consisting of Only Bones but it wields deep gash in the ochre slime.

Mizana tries to use another Wall Of Fire but again the slimes prove too fast and slip out of the danger zone. Head, meet desk.

[​IMG]

Silvershield has 1hp left.

The heroes quickly fall, managing to kill only one of the horde surrounding them.