Your ideas for tweaking/nerfing some cards?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Lucky Dice, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

It's fine as-is. What exactly is everyone's problem with it? I don't understand why people are trying to nerf a card that's almost lacking in counterplay (only forced card discard removes it from the opponent's hand).

I do like the idea of changing the blocked damage from Pulverizing Bludgeon and Pulverizing Hack to Penetrating. You get that you have "sure damage" on the opponent (which is true, barring Immunity and Cushioning Armor). It also makes playing the card into blocks feel less of a waste.

Melancthon likes this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

*psst* Penetrating skips Cushioning Armor. $F^ J

timeracers likes this.
  3. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

It's very awkward to play with. You want to keep it, and, at the same time, you'd prefer the safety of Mimetic Armor. Ergo, making it a Free Card would make it usually easier to take out of the equation, while at the same time, it'd be a no-brainer to keep it.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Yes. But the attack itself is not Penetrating, so if you run Pulverizing Bludgeon into no blocks but into Cushioning Armor you'd take 5 damage (which is lower than the 6 Penetrating).

Very awkward to play with? More like, there are a lot of meaningful choices that go into deciding whether to keep it or not, and that makes the game interesting. I do not mean to be rude, but perhaps your judgment is clouded by your favor of Mimetic Armor?

5. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Like "am I facing wizards" or "will I get a card with my luck"? Please. In my opinion QR is... kind of half of a card. You kinda sorta draw something, but kinda sorta not, because you have half a chance (like Duck) and you need to be facing an attack. If you decide to keep QR in your hand, it's either that you have no armor or you like risking games.

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

This is basically true for any beneficial card with a dice roll (dodge, jump back, blocks, even armors). You either get the roll and the card helps you, or you fail the roll and nothing happens. Why do you see QR as different, or are you saying any card with a dice roll should be a free card?

Melancthon and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  7. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

well if you put it that way, then I guess...

8. ParodyKnaveBob

Deep, when you said, (bolding mine,)
    I popped up with,
    simply because your text effectively said, "if it's Penetrating -- and not vs. Immunity nor Cushioning Armor -- then it's sure damage." However, after you said,
    methinks perhaps you meant, "the attack gives sure damage because it either gets blocked (and deals {6,8} Penetrating damage) or hits a bunch of armor and who cares b/c oh wow it's {14,16} damage in the first place -- unless instead of merely getting blocked, you instead hit armor like Cushioning or that which grants Immunity." If that's the case, then yeah, I hear ya.

And in case it got missed somewhere, I, too, like the idea of the Pulverizing cards dealing Melee Crushing Penetrating damage upon being blocked. Then, you could feel more sure of your green/purple-quality attack getting through somehow -- barring a Toughness, an unblocked Cushioning + more armor, an appropriate attachment, a move-out-of-the-way Boost, an insane Lucky-Dice-caliber amount of normal armor, or any shenanigans involving blocks + Amorphous Body + probably monkeys.

9. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

ok, let me change the topic slightly.

Items.

Starting with things that literally have no risks to take.

Nova Axe
    - Change its Purging Strike to Bludgeons.
    I feel like Nova Axe currently has way too many things people want. Tons of damage, means of moving people away without triggering blocks (and, frankly, both Immovable and Stone Feet are not used at all, so they are barely a factor), removing attachments (another reason for both of the aforementioned cards having no impact) and mobility. That would change it to have everything but the "removing attachments" part, making it slightly more balanced.
    As for "But warriors need to be able to remove things from others!" - just add Purging Strikes elsewhere? Onto some one-dimensional weapon that would use it? Off the top of my head, say, Hacker's Wrench? Replace some Bludgeons on Blackeye Hammer to give him a new niche? Tons of items already have 1 Purging Strike.

Bejewelled Shortsword
    - Change the card structure to 1x Mighty Hack, 1x Mighty Bludgeon, 2x Powerful Hack and 2x Lunging Thrusts.
    BS (as I like to refer to it) in its current form is the highest damaging item in the game. But that's not its only upside - it comes with stuff Elven Maneuvers can rack for days - Vicious Thrust. Add the fact that buffing damage in this game is very easy and suddenly that becomes a problem. This step with a single +2 usually cuts down 1/3rd of your HP and it comes with a follow-up already packed. So if we tune down the steps by a bit and increase already high damage of the non-steps, we get a weapon that requires more than just being a tile or two away from the target to dish out damage.
    It also happens to fix the issue of it having the highest damage from all double major token items whilst still keeping it strong.

The Strongarm
    - Swap all Strong Hacks (or at least some of them) with... Laser Cutdowns.
    Currently, this thing literally has no replacements in tokenless department. The only thing that comes close is Blazing Shortsword, but this one at least has a drawback - you risk your life vs burning mages. But Strongarm currently... has no drawbacks. Weak Strike as a parry bait and 5 powerful attacks. Consistently powerful. So I suggest doing what I just said to drop down the damage a bit, keep the value and... yeah.
    Oh, and let's rework Drained Battery a bit, like... dunno, X damage per laser card in hand perhaps? How's that? And call it "Laser Misfiring"?

Double-Edged Sword
    - Replace Impaling Stabs with Penetrating Stabs or decrease Impaling Stab's range by 1.
    Again, consistently too much stuff with little counterplay. And if you see my previous post, I already quoted something in there about penetrating stuff. The fact that penetrating, all in all, lacks counterplay. We need some sort of a trait that would nullify penetrating. Or a "Penetrating" key word rework.

Rageblood Dagger
    - Replace one Vicious Thrust with a Lunging Thrust
    Not only this weapon offers you the most steps with cycling at that token cost, its risk can be easily nullified nowadays. Force Fields, Cushions, etc. So the only thing I came up is tweaking its value a bit downwards.

Darune's Dagger
    - Strong Hacks into Perforating Strikes?
    That would kinda be a straight upgrade from Woodhome's Wound, but... it actually already is, so no harm done. It isn't a weapon I encounter very often (nor something I have), but if I wanted some cheap damage on my Elf, that would probably be it. With Perforating Strikes... less so. Only in specific situations, like, idk. Laser Spear + 2 new Darunes?

Vibrant Pain
    - Make Nimble Strike unbuffable.
    Yes. That's what I came up with. Fite me.
    No, but seriously, think about it. This weapon currently is so multi-functional it's not funny. Your dwarf needs mobility? Vibrant Pain. Difficulty in getting through impossible to pass terrain at the very start? Vibrant Pain. Want to bypass enemy blocks and hit him for considerate damage? Vibrant Pain. It does too much. It's one of the irreplaceable legendaries at this point and that's not really good. So yeah, let's at least do that.
    I'd also vote for making 2 of these Dancing Cuts if it weren't for the fact even a single Dancing Cut would make the weapon major + minor.

Perilous Ringmail
    - Replace Traveling Curse with Demonic Revenge
    Dwarves currently use Perilous not only because it's a good armor with some cycling (which we should prolly keep), but also indirect infinite range damage to their opponents. And that latter part is no good.

Bronzebottom Cuirass
    - Mail into Weak Armor.
    So this one has a lore behind it. We all can see how Binwin literally does stuff first, asks questions later. Why not show it via the armor? Yes, he wrecks, but he's been wrecked several times. And that would tweak it just ever so slightly to the right direction.

Raging Battler
    - Reliable Mail into Spiked Mail
    Oh come on, this one is seriously obvious. I mean, yes, it would be a decrease in rarity, but... COME ON! Raging... Hitting everything without trying... ???

Tough Leather Cap
    - Dash, Team! into Scuttle, Team!. Or change Toughened Hide Strips to Paper+.
    Too good for a minor AoA team frankly. I think it was supposed to be a major token from the get go.

Cautious Mobility
    - Scouting Run (doesn't stop cycling on draw) to Skip (stops cycling on draw)

Any weapon with Parry:
    - Swap Parry with a new card: *insert name here*. Block Melee. Draw a card. 3+.
    This is to halt Parry abuse with Blocking Mace mostly. Also, because we all know in X years we will get something that lets us enhance rolls on something other than armor...

Anything with Force Field
    - Just make it freaking Duration 2 already. Or at least make it substract 2 from duration at the end of the turn.

That's all for now. Coming up: Buffs to warrior-related stuffs!

Christofff likes this.
  10. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Do not change anything related to manuvers elf warriors. They are perfect as is and should not be changed. Nerf wizards first.

*disclaimer: I have no clue how to build warriors aside from elves with the shortsword and manuvers as I find all other warriors to be horribly unviable due to the lack of builds on the forums

11. ParodyKnaveBob

I can't understand what you mean on this since neither card cycles anything... Please explain? $:^ J Thanks in advance.

12. 40c_rudy

40c_rudy Lizardman Priest

I guess he means that Scouting Run isn't considered a Move card, so it is discarded if it is drawn by Elven Maneuvers, while Skip is a Move card, so you get to keep it if it is drawn, thus stopping the cycling of cards.

13. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Scouting is skipped? I never noticed.

14. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

It is skipped. Card needs to be blue or half-blue for EM to pick it up.

15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I do like Cleansing Burst but i think its impact on the battlefield doesnt really measure up to its price / the items you would have to bring. Boost the healing? Its the pinnacle of terrain cleansing, so why not make it extra "healy". The healing remains a side goodie for the spells narrow area of effect.

16. I think too "healy" would make it seem like it's main purpose is a secondary purpose. Plus make it better than Healing pulse. I think all Cleansing cards should let you draw a card if used on enemy terrain placements if possible. Or at least heal more if it does purge enemy terrain. Or give it a random chance to purge 1 handicap from people in the radius if it clears enemy terrain.

Seeing people getting a draw/bonus cause they cleared their own failed terrain attack seems awkward to me.

17. Other cards that I think need some love...

Avenging Touch, no reach and even just reliable armor almost neutralizes it and makes it super risky to use since you have to get into melee range with a cleric. I never see anyone use it but me, I don't even see it used in QD matches. Maybe give it a range of 2 or make revealed cards add to the damage. I am sure something can be done to make it interesting to the rest of the community.

Berserker Spin great themed card, maybe make the card a chop so it can get a boost from martial skills. It's as risky as a chop to pull off but there is no bonus to try.

Various cones, range or initial damage is too small to risk using if you aren't a smoke cloud mage or a melee mage.

Put some Charge Attack cards on weapons, they are so hard to pull off sometimes and are limited draws and most people end up having to use them for normal moves since they take the same slots as move cards.

Melt Armor why does this card exist with Dissolve Armor and Boiling Armor? I'd think it would be better themed, if it melts the armor as described and then drops a acid tile card under the victim!

Holy Armor Great card back in the day, seems to have got left behind with recent updates and expansions. Maybe needs a new card that is an improved version? or just make it heal more to keep up with modern times? or make it's armor value worth the risk? or both? If improved this armor could help with some of the fireball/burst spamming.

Acid Spray and Acid Jet need some love, they have been left behind. Maybe add removing blocks ( like War Cry ) to them also.

maybe considering making the radius on whirlwind spells a bit bigger or give it a random chance to do so.

Maniafig and Robauke like this.
  18. black_wolf

black_wolf Kobold

Probably already been said but to nerf burfft I would add 1 damage to most common burfft cards (Fireball, Ember Burst, Arcane Burst) but i would make it unbuffable.

19. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I was thinking of Fireball 5 dmg, burn 1 unbuffable.

20. ParodyKnaveBob

Btw, ironically, the more BM makes things Unbuffable, the more BM nerfs Lifesaving Block. Just keep that in mind, folks. $:^ ]