Xbox One - Discuss!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, May 21, 2013.

1. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Since this is general forum, I thought it might be interesting to talk about this here. I am guessing most of us a primarily PC gamers (such is the nature of Card Hunter). While I am as well, I still own all available consoles (aside from the Wii U). And after the reveal today, I figure there might be some good discussion to be had.

Some links:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4347094/xbox-one

I said it on Twitter and I'll say it again: I will throw money at someone who designs and sells a wood-panelled veneer for this throwback of 80s stereo-receiver design.

2. I will not be getting one. However, some of the stuff about the operating system sounded cool. The window kernel stuff sounds like a good idea should make it easier to get stuff to run on it like a normal windows PC. Example a normal browser with flash support for playing card hunter. Maybe?

I also really liked the fact that it almost sounded like they where going to offer dedicated servers using xbox live. I have been using those for years. Also my PC I made a year ago is more powerful then the new xbox :p

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Console gaming is dying.

(had to go there)

4. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Kobold

Its ok I guess.

Its a mediacenter. I won't be in line for this, my "old" :( XBOX 360 still does really well for that. Hardly play any games on it anymore though... hmmm.

I feel its an evolutionary step we're seeing here. With how "content lockdown minded" the console publishers are, I don't think we're going to see the next revolutionary step coming from one of the big 3.
    But in a few years we might have some new players with a small connected box, plugged into an open development environment with iTunes ease of use. Its in its infancy with the Ouya and some Raspberry Pi solutions, but it will gain ground quickly...

5. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I don't agree that console games are dying - the vast majority of gamers are on consoles because they're cheaper and easier than PCs. Console gaming, for me, is slowing down because I generally buy everything for PC. That being said, I primarily use my Xbox as a Netflix machine and my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. Some very cool indie titles are out on both, however, and were out on them first (like Mark of the Ninja and Retro City Rampage).

I'm not a fan of the "second-hand players need to pay a fee." I think that's a super cheap-shot.

6. Pengw1n

I think AAA titles in general are dying, and thus consoles as a results of it. It's particularly true when the consoles turn more and more into media pc's when the tantalizing exclusives seems to be a thing of the past. Then again, I've never been a console gamer, I just find it a funny observation that pc and it's ilk (portables) might outlive them as a concept.

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Considering how much money certain AAA titles still generate, I think it will consolidate and stagnate more than die out.

8. I can see both sides of the used game sale thing. I mean like a week after release for consoles there is the $54.99 used copy of whatever the newest game is. Since not one cent of that money goes to anyone that made it, that can cause issues. If it was just older games being sold used it would not be an issue. But I have seen used games on sale during release week.

I have always been a PC gamer I just never really got into buying used games. If I wanted it cheaper I waited for the price to come down. So I guess that is why I could careless that the console users may not have that option much longer.

9. That would lead to death.

10. Pengw1n

True, there are still AAA's - but they're usually always on pc these days as well, and many developers seem to even consider using pc as a lead platform - didn't Dark Souls go from almost not bothering to port, to switching lead platform for it's second incarnation? Then again, this isn't the console vs pc thread we're looking for :p

11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I lend a lot of games because people be poor and stuff. I think charging them is kinda no good.

12. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

They said that about movies too!

Yeah. I'm just saying that the lions share of revenue for games like Call of Duty comes from console players. Nevermind how much money an exclusive franchise like Halo makes.

13. I agree that screwing out people that lend games is crap, but that's progress as they say :rolleyes:(eye rolls stands in for sarcastic face) . When I was little all I had was the NES my friends and I would pass games around like mad.

14. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Kobold

Megadestructo and Grombak like this.
  15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Yeah, that definitely gave me a good chuckle. I hope their E3 presentation shows something other than Forza, EA Sports, and Call of Duty (now called Dogs of Doodie).

Grombak likes this.
  16. Talonius

Talonius Mushroom Warrior

They are trying harder and harder to make these consoles like a media streaming PC, but they are never going to do it better than an actual PC. I have owned every console up to the XBox 360, but they always end up gathering dust or disappearing into the kids rooms as I play my games on the table or on my computer.

I don't see console or PC gaming dying any time soon. Both have their dedicated fans, but the last console I really feel like I got my money's worth out of was an Atari 2600. :confused:

17. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

I don't think the point is doing it better than an actual PC. I think the goal is doing it cheaper and easier (for the end-user) than an actual PC.

18. Soldan

Soldan Kobold

Microsoft is anti-consumer. The new console offers little considering how it is marketed.

19. Psuper

Psuper Kobold

I'm all in on the Ouya. I just bought another one.

I'm an open source freak, and the Ouya is gonna be killer in the indie/modding scene.

20. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Microsoft changing their position deserves some laughing at but, ultimately, is good for the consumer. I'm solidly in the "PS4 first" camp because, knowing me, I will own every console anyway. And yeah, got my Ouya a few days ago and it's pretty neat. Lots of promise there!