With the webserver going away...

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by battlezoby, May 21, 2021.

1. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

With the webserver going away soon, I decided to try test.cardhunter.com, seems stuck at level 1.

BUT MORE RELAVENTLY, AS I POSTED UNDER ANNOUNCEMENTS....

Isn't the Steam client written in Abode Air? Can't Knights of Unity just (eventually, perhaps with volinteer help)
    Compile a non-Steam Stand-alone version of Cardhunter use the same Adobe Air tools, minus the
    Steam Libraries, and then post those on game.cardhunter.com?

If it's no longer in Adobe Air, mind if I ask what's it's being moved to?

As I've suggested before, you don't need to get the game to transact cash directly, because you could
    simply setup a seperate Paypal or other payment processor on a Web-page on the Web-server, and
    then set a flag or whatever so that the game will "import" the Pizza (or modules) bought. If you put
    Pizza prices on the Modules, then Pizza would be the only thing that you need to let people
    make all the purchases on the non-Steam version.

(If Adobe Air is somehow bundled to Steam, it would be great if you could let me know more
    about that. Thanks!)

P.s. After the recent shutoff, my friend couldn't access game.cardhunter.com using SSL, but
    it still works as of this writting if she shuts off SSL via the browser.

Thanks in advance for any and all information and/or consideration!

(I'm pretty stressed/depressed over this.) Yea, I know most games go away after time, but
    that's what made Cardhunter, the really good game that didn't go away, all that more special!

BTW... I have friends that play cardhunter with me, but only have XP (or Vista,) which Steam won't support.

Without XP, they won't be able to play any more. Even I sometimes switch to it when newer machines are busy or unavailable.
    (And I hate Steam especailly for intentionally breaking their own XP and Vista support; who knows what they'll intentionally
    break or do next?)

My housemate has spent perhaps $60 or $70 on CH over the years, often just to make the LF maps easier and faster to play.

Steam reports I've spent $209.33 on Cardhunter via Steam "since the cardset was released", but that might be missing some purchases.

Without non-Steam support as a "backup" for Steam problems, both of us, and many others, are going to be less comfortable with the game,
    (even if she does get a compitable machine again) which we both like due to the way it's managed to "be there for us through the years", even
    when we were commuting between two houses and only had XP machines in one with
    our newer machines in the other

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  2. Sir Civil

Sir Civil Administrator Staff Member