Will more animations be added in the future?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by imMara, Feb 14, 2013.

1. imMara

imMara Mushroom Warrior

Are we going to see more animations, like interactive world map, more spell effects, interactive combat maps, etc..? Or will animations be kept to the minimum to preserve the pen & paper feel?

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I would personally vote for minimum

skip_intro and irongamer like this.
  3. imMara

imMara Mushroom Warrior

I understand that. That would only make sense given the fact this game emulates old school pen & paper games. However, I sometimes feel that such a good game deserves a bit more love on the animation side. Either way, I'm totally cool with it. I just wanted to know if more, maybe a bit more complex animations were in plan.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

From a long time ago, there's this:
    Any changes in the plan since then, well, I wouldn't know.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I think some effect animations like burning (is it the only one in at m?) is what we can expect, other than that - doubtful.

6. Sir Knight

I'm not sure what you mean. All damage types currently have a graphic and a sound (with some exceptions: Sonic may still be silent, but I haven't checked the most recent build). The graphic shakes and has fade effects, like you'd get from typical Flash animation.

Also, of course, the cards themselves are animated flying around between characters, which is remarkably interesting for something with so few options.

7. Pengw1n

Burn has the flame popup, I don't recall seeing a poison popup from bad medcine for instance. Or maybe it's just just due to there being less non-burn effects that I haven't noticed any.

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

unholy has that laughting purple skull thing

9. Pengw1n

Oh yeah, that's true! But would be nice if maybe stun or halt had similar effects. Only animations I see as fitting.

10. Sir Knight

What, technically, would you want to see animated? Say I use Lightning Bolt to Stun somebody: the game plays an Electrical sound and shows an Electrical damage graphic (the cartoony "lightning bolt"). Then the card gets attached. Now what? The enemy can't play non-Move cards: nothing visual happens if you stand around not playing cards, and in any case my Lightning Bolt is still attached.

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I would personally like it if stunned greyed my guys out like what happens to enemies who have taken their action for the turn basically showing that no none move actions can be taken just like with the mobs

12. Sir Knight

Huh, that might be cool. But it also brings a risk of confusion: there's that enemy-only ability that lets you restore a minion's action for the turn, and this does NOT include curing Stun.

13. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I guess you are right but i wonder if the scarceness of stun cards for the player as well as no reactivation card for the plays could still make this a good enough reason to use the shade out. Mainly so people don't get confused and frustrated about being stunned without noticing even i who have played a great deal sometimes find my self clicking because i forgot who got brained and such in longer turns.

14. Sir Knight

That, I'm guessing, is a challenge for the designers: making such-and-such a card attachment actually communicate something to you when you see it in miniature. They've mentioned this concern before.

Also: we get more Stun cards as we advance, just like other effects, so "scarceness" becomes less of an issue.

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Fair point i just think it could be communicated more clear and that the black out idea is decent either way