Why punish Card Hunters?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Questor, Apr 2, 2014.

1. kogi

kogi Ogre

How do we get a total item count? I know I have 1055 uniques.

2. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

3. kogi

kogi Ogre

ah, I am only up to 3.7k items. Does beefy system specs help?

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I have a decent mid-tier laptop, but it regularly gives me 0.5-2.0 second delays when I'm viewing my collection of ~4100 items. I'm sure a beast of a desktop could make some difference, but there's also the problem that Flash just isn't terribly efficient on any machine.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

While this would improve things, I think the 3000 items are still going to present a problem.

6. Jon

I like that idea.

kogi and Megadestructo like this.
  7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Hooray! Good ideas are being generated :)

8. jday

jday Mushroom Warrior

I proposed something similar a while back that shouldn't be overly burdensome to implement:
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/suggestion-add-method-to-hide-items-in-collection.5298/
    Just need a db table that links between account and item type with a flag to mark an item type as hidden (in this context an item type would for example be Hatchet. I don't ever want to see any hatchets in my inventory ever, so I choose it to go to my "vault" - that creates a record in this new "vault" table between my account and the ID of hatchet. When the query to select my collection runs, it does a left outer join to the vault table and if it finds a record then excludes said item.
    so something like:
    -- @AccountID is the account we are querying items for
    select *
    from Item Left outer join vault on Item.ItemID = vault.ItemID And Vault.AccountID = @AccountID
    Where Vault.ItemID is NULL and Item.AccountID = @AccountID

I imagine there are other complexities at play, but that is my .02

Flaxative likes this.
  9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Potentially the two ideas could even work in unison for faster user performance.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

But back to the original topic: Why not punish card hunters?

Rantrah, Megadestructo and Scarponi like this.
  11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

It's true that we're all sadistic bastids up in here.

Sir Veza, neoncat and Rantrah like this.
  12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Much like the follower's of St. Darqar. The poor sucker dies and his followers apparently couldn't wait to mince him up and package him for resale.

Jarmo and Sir Veza like this.
  13. Questor

Questor Ogre

Liking is nowadays just a click, the problem is getting something to work. ;-)

The thing is that you guys are not Cloud Imperium Games and your manpower is restricted.
    I don´t know if you are already working on this issue but before you sink a lot of time into it please aim at a solution and not just a bandage.

I and a few others might be an exception with a low count of 5000 items but please consider that some day there might be a few more people playing this game. I at least hope so.
    So if you tackle this problem please make it the main priority to enable us to deactive the loading of items or the possibility to put them away.

Also please don´t get blinded by testing any kind of solution for this on the testserver because i believe there are not many people accumulating those huge amounts of items.
    So if you test something use accounts with 5000 items and ones with at least 6500.

However elegant, beautiful and revolutionary you aim to make a solution, make it effective in the first place.

14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

With the PayPal Sandbox to play in? Mondo huge collections are pretty easy to get. I have more stuff there than in my main account.
    I have a second account on the main server with very few items, and it has also been behaving sluggishly. Item glut is definitely not the culprit in that case.
    That being said, I think splitting the items into "Main" and "Vault" DBs would help. If they all stay in one, they would all still need to be sorted. And it's Flash sorting, which from what I've seen is a whole other level of slow.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Oh yeah that reminds me I wanted to point out, the test server is WAY snappier and more responsive for me when handling my collection than the main server. And I have a TON of items there. Things that take forever on the main site for me, like the type-to-filter-your-collection field, have 0 lag for me on the test server. Just, FWIW.

16. Questor

Questor Ogre

Just a reminder that this situation still exists and even got worse after the influx of new items.

17. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I've been selling my items a lot after the expansion arrived.
    Better sell items that seem to be pointless in any possible quests/leagues/MP games than mess with that lag.

18. Jon

That's kind of odd. The live server isn't under any sort of load that should matter at the moment. Do you still see this difference?

19. cpu70

cpu70 Kobold

Just my 2cents.

I find that 99% of the time when starting a level I don't need to change equipment (I usually load a saved team for the first match).
    Similarly, when in the loot screen, I don't care about the items already in my collection.

So, why not remove the inventory page instead and replace it with a button "LOAD INVENTORY" ?
    This will speed up both the player game and the server because access to the inventory data will happen only when required.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, but maybe that's because of the change you made to the search?