Why punish Card Hunters?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Questor, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Questor

Questor Ogre

I know the issues of lag because of loading of data is a fact you are aware of dear devs.
    But why don´t you implement a solution for people who like to do what this game is about, hunt cards.
    Especially now that the artifacts will attack and we get even more items.

If you keep at least 3 items of each and enough of items which have more than 1 slot per class you have around 5000 items in your collection. That is also when the loading times increase to a annoying point. When you reached ~6500 the loading times increase about 50% compared to 5000 and it is really unbearable.

And this is after the patch in January which addressed the issue, because before that it was unplayable.

What i would like to know why this issue is not handled already?
    There were some suggestions about some kind of vault and i was hoping that it will be implemented but it seems that this is not on the agenda. It can not be that hard to make something like a shop which never resets and the selling of items gets you no gold.

Sorry to be snippy but i am very annoyed to be forced to sell two times a week surplus stuff so the games stays playable.

So why do you punish Card Hunters and don´t make life of the people who just take the name of game at heart a bit easier?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    neoncat, Jarmo and Flaxative like this.
  2. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Hey Questor,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry the game isn't dealing the items as well as you'd like. It's not handled already because it's a lot harder than it looks. If we were able to quickly turn something around on this in addition to creating new content, balancing, and working on various other optimizers we would have done so already, believe me. :) The reality of the situation is that there aren't a lot of us and we've got a million threads to follow up on and we're working on them as quickly as possible. This isn't an excuse (please don't take it as such) as we're definitely aware of the issue and know it's a sticky one.

Please believe me when I say our goal isn't to punish you.

Thanks.

3. Questor

Questor Ogre

I thought i made myself clear, it is i not about loot distribution. Not that i am happy with that but who is? ;-)

It is about unbearable loading times with a already big collection of items.

4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Yes, that's what I was referring to. That takes a lot of work but rest assured we're not ignoring it.

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Farbs seems to have made some progress on this, at least on my old machine, and I think he's still working on it. It's still slow, but some things don't seem as slow as they used to be. I don't envy him trying to get speed out of an Adobe product.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Questor

Questor Ogre

I know that you are not ignoring it, since there was a slight fix two months ago, what i would like to know is what kind of goal are you aiming at?
    Some change of code like the last patch or something like a vault where people can drop like 4000 rarely or never used items and get a real performance boost?

What i am afraid of is the a possible future when a patch gets implemented and it changes the amount of items you can have in your inventory before it gets real annoying from like 6500 to 6000.
    And since something happened it won´t get on the agenda again but it did not really help the situation.

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's definitely on the agenda, Questor. I feel your pain but they simply don't have the resources to make progress on this while doing other things too. It's a matter of priority as far as I can tell. Hang in there bro :(

8. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

So hey, new thought:

Rather than just "make the game faster," which is hard in Flash, you mentioned a "trunk" system where you can keep your shinies w/o them affecting your load-out speed. How exactly do you have that in mind? Now I'm curious and maybe getting some details into what you're thinking about might help. :)

9. Questor

Questor Ogre

I have no clue about programming, game design or anything related to it. So excuse and correct me if i am totally wrong in some of my assumptions.

If you place another shop on the map which won´t give gold and without a reset you have basically a kind of vault, trunk or magic pockets.
    So you can dump all the things you never use in there and if you want to use the items in your deck you have to "buy" it back.
    That would help to reduce the active inventory to the point where everything should run smooth for quite a while.

This would be my solution, but as i mentioned this is just a logical reuse of a already implemented feature, if it is achievable is a question for the technically gifted.
    If it would be possible and if it works the way i imagine it the performance boost would be very great without much effort.

Flaxative likes this.
  10. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

It's a valid solution to make players manually partition their equipment, but it's also a disgustingly-ugly hack. I think I'm of the opinion that one should just stop keeping a full set of commons and uncommons before requesting that the devs drop a kludgy store onto the map.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Getting rid of the full set of commons/uncommons is still part of this problem though.

12. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

So is partitioning your collection manually. ;)

Pengw1n and Flaxative like this.
  13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Vaults have been used in D&D (and clones) since the 70's, so this definitely fits the trope.
    Manual partitioning is slow, but it's the only way that works well. (Weak items come in all rarities. I have about 80 useless legendaries I need a huge mantle or storage locker for.)
    Please make the vault look as kludgy as possible so it will be easily recognizable. :D

OT: @Flaxative - So how long until you animate those billboards, bro?

Flaxative and neoncat like this.
  14. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I win. ≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋∫[⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞]≡(^ェ^)≡

Farbs and Flaxative like this.
  15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, we've been suggesting a Vault feature since beta. It would be good if there was a feature that doesn't load this part of your collection, unless it's intentionally accessed.

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

What if the Keep only loaded a single occurrence of each item with a small "x2" or "x6" or whatever to designate the number in stock? Without any great knowledge of programming, it would seem that this would only require loading two objects (the item and the item counter) instead of 7 or 8 (or more) of each item. This would max out the current collection at 3000 or so objects. Of course I'm not sure how much programing a changeable counter that has to load will counteract the saved load time, but it's an idea.

17. Questor

Questor Ogre

I did that in the beginning until i realized that i need some of the items again for quests, peasant and really fun builds.
    Then i only sold the ones which are really useless but it is a lot of work to scan through every item and sell it if it will never be used, but that takes a lot of time.
    The fast way is to quickly sell all surplus items with a maximum use of 3 items, which saves alot of time. Now you only have to comb through the multiple items and reduce them because 12 of each arcane item would be a real pain in the anus.
    This already takes enough funless time just to able to play in a not great but acceptable speed.

The game is disgustingly kludgy when it tries to load all those useless informations. So unless you have a programming solution which would give the same performance rise as putting 4000+ items into a seperate inventory i would define the use of a shop as a vault as a very elegant and beautiful solution with miminal efford.

But we are talking about things we don´t know because there are no word from the devs if this would be even possible and unless they give input about this, all discussions about this are pointless.

18. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Another idea would be to create a "Deep Storage" as part of the Keep that would be an entirely separate room (page) that would be reachable from the Keep/shops. What would make Deep Storage really great is if in addition to being able to move items to it manually if there was an options menu that allowed you to designate auto movement from your standard collection to your Deep Storage collection based on the item count of each type of item. Something like this:

Designate your Surplus Count for each item type below. Once a surplus count has been reached for unique items, all subsequent identical items will be automatically stored in Deep Storage.
    Item ..................... Surplus Count
    Weapon ................. X
    Helmet .................. X
    Shield .................... X
    etc.

Where X is a user input value. Thus for example if your Helmet surplus count was set at 3, after getting your 3rd Crusty Helm, every subsequent Crusty Helm that dropped for you would automatically go directly to your deep storage collection instead of your standard collection. If you want to REALLY make everyone's day, add a "Sell All" button to Deep Storage when accessed from a shop (I would ONLY place this button on the Deep Storage collection and NOT the standard collection so there aren't any accidental fire-sales).

Also, I'm in no way tied to the name "Deep Storage," if the standard collection is stored at The Keep, maybe this surplus connection would be better named The Catacombes or something else creative.

19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I believe that's how it's done now - Item code & Qty for each. I suspect the rendering and display is more of a slowdown than the data transfer. It might speed things up (or not) if only one of each item was displayed, and a counter beside it showed the total quantity. Especially if we could select multiples to perform speciific actions (like sell, or move to vault) upon.
    Edit: Never mind. Overtired, and misread your post.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  20. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind. Sorry if it wasn't clear.