Why legendaries are so weak?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by AsterFenix, Sep 26, 2013.

1. AsterFenix

AsterFenix Kobold

Hi everyone,

I've just cleared SP campaign today, including all bonus adventures. Feeling awesome indeed. I have to say it's been a long time I haven't seen a card game with long and engaging single player campaign like this. I'm impressed by the work BM puts into the making of card hunter. Great great product, indeed.

However, there is one concern I have about the game. The legendaries drops do not feel so... legend. I mean I haven't seen a single legend worth using in my deck. I've had 5 legends after my first playthrough, including lvl 18 legendary drops. My feeling is that they performs inferior to other rare or even uncommon alternatives.

Here are my legends

Crap
    [​IMG]

Crap (wtf is this?? =_=)
    [​IMG]

More crap
    [​IMG]

Never like burning. Weak against armor
    [​IMG]

The GREAT GREAT robes (lvl 18 legend, 1 gold orb requirement) or... wait a sec... legend of craps =_=.
    [​IMG]
    Please share you experience about legend drops and their usefulness. Do you actually use any of the legend you pick? I hope BM somehow change the system a bit and make our legend drops feel more... legendary. Adding 1 damage to all magic is NOT what I want from a legendary armor lvl 18 =_=.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Eh, that robe really IS awesome? And that staff is also very good - it's a matter of playstyle there (also see below for duplicates on cards). Using any cone or aoe attack with that robe would add it to all the attacks - which is pretty damn good.

I got Ozone Plates last night and am pretty happy about it. One thing to remember though is that legendary doesn't mean "better", it might mean it contain very rare cards, powerful combinations of cards - or even several duplicate of cards - which takes the status of the item above what it otherwise would have.

And yes, some legendaries are a bit meh. Twin Heals isn't very useful, esp at that level.

Neofalcon and Gentlecow like this.
  3. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Indeed what Pengw1n said, Legendary items simply empower cards they contain, see the rarity and color on top of the card - that's all they do, some Legendary items are bad, as with all other rarities.

PS: Arcane shell is not discarded when you take damage, for a powerful damaged-focused deck this robe is decent in PvE.

4. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

I've only gotten one legendary so far -- Raging Battler

I'm extremely happy with it. No power tokens + deck thinning + bonus damage to all attacks. Nice bonus armor too.

5. Pengw1n

Yeah, very nice one - even better since it's tokenless.

6. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Well, usually Legendarys are more focused.

So with underpowered cards, they tend be not that good. Some are highly situational. And some are just plain great, like that robe of yours.

Edit: Unholy Nimbus is great if you ever run group with only warrior & priests.

7. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I think the problem isn't with the legendaries themselves, but with overvalued cards. It'd be nice to see cards like twin heals/barge/Shimmering aura/harnesses/etc be boosted into something worth building for. They seem to make a lot of legendaries terrible.

Ryahes and turinturamba like this.
  8. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

the staff and cloak and even the divine armor are decent enough. Just because they dont fit your play style doesn't mean they are not good.

9. AsterFenix

AsterFenix Kobold

I can't seem to understand spear of darkness also. Don't know why it is rare. So weak damage and extremely succeptible from armor or weak block cards. They should make it so we can choose a target to heal, not just heal the cleric with this card. Then it should be worth using.

10. AsterFenix

AsterFenix Kobold

Ya. I run 2 war and 1 cleric, lol. Sucks that I draw all mage items :(

11. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Most legendaries are either very good or have very specific use cases where nothing else will do. Sure, Twin Heals is so terrible that it ruins the otherwise decent card, but both the staff and the robe you're showing are excellent in the right hands.

12. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Add Mass Frenzy, Unholy Frenzy and Unholy Wellspring and then you'll see the value :D

Or some of the other melee buffs. Lifestealing priests can be annoying to deal with.

Andrew Talbot, Dashel and Pengw1n like this.
  13. progammer

progammer Ogre

Arrogant Armor is a pretty good card. Some people struggle to get even one copy of that card on any item. But then again I'm the guy who got lucky and get Bern's Untouchable Mail in the first week of release.

One thing about items: In order to have the item find interesting, there must be good and bad items. However, good and bad in this case is still situational and subjective depends on build/playstyle/availability of synergy cards.

Legendary, while the name suggest, cannot be 10 times better than any other item in that slots. The philosophy of the game is that any item can be useful, depends on the situation. Legendary just make more builds available by giving more of the same card, more of a rare card, weird combination of cards never seen elsewhere ... and so on so fourth.

14. AsterFenix

AsterFenix Kobold

[​IMG]

How is the legendary better than this common rope... It requires only bluye orb ==. Something is terribly wrong

15. Pengw1n

Arcane Aura lacks keep on it's armour part so you lose it if you take damage. That's why Arcane Shell is FAR superior, since you won't lose it before being able to use it...

16. Dashel

Dashel Kobold

I agree with Forduc, love Spear of Darkness with Frenzy.

That's something that is deceptively good I guess. I'm assuming it's good due to the slot it takes up?

17. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

Agreed, my battle priest likes to abuse the fact that since it gains life for the cleric it qualifies as a free card/attack with Talented Healer active. Additionally, Horned plates can be tossed in even if you don't have the Frenzy or Unholy cards you listed. I very rarely see spear of darkness doing the base damage and as a longer ranged melee + lifesteal it's a great card in tons of situations.

[hr]

Reliable mail is one of the better armors you can hold onto out there. It's usually on armor/helmet/boot slots. Additionally no powerstone(s) is tops. The frenzy alone would have made it worthwhile since a Fighter juiced up with two more damage on all his attacks for two turns in return for 4 damage is well worth it many times. Toss in the aforementioned priest buffs and the damage in turn can be 1 and 2HKOs all day long.

[hr]

At first I didn't get what was so great about Arrogant Armor, but after getting a Impervious Panoply I quite enjoy not being slow down, burned, goo'd, cursed, or sickened.

Also, since it's only one blue, instead of the gold, I can mount the extra gold on my Bejeweled Shortsword for my warrior. (;) I remember you looking for them)

18. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

I just got a Bejeweled Shortsword last night. I had gotten 3 in a week in beta but apparently the game didn't want to give me one at all!

19. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

The rarity of the card does not dictate how good it is. This means there are very good cards spread out at common, uncommon and rare. It also means there are not so good cards at each rarity as well. The quality of the card, as referenced by the color of its title bar, is a better indication though there are a lot of disagreements about these as well.

The rarity of a item also doesn't dictate it's power level, it really just refers to the overall rarity of the cards it uses. Since a cards power isn't dictated by rarity, this means that items aren't going to be either. The result is that you have very good items as all rarity levels, but that also means you'll have not so good items at all rarity levels as well.

Personally I am a fan of this approach, it helps to keep the game competitive for all players.

You really need to pay attention to the cards and learn how best to use them. Most of these threads start with players simply not seeing the value in certain cards, which often means altering the build that uses them. Many of the most powerful builds that were found in Beta were using cards that were completely overlooked by most players. Some cards are going to be better in SP than in MP, where tactics are a bit more focused.

The self healing attacks are powerful because of their interaction with damage buffs. Since they also have the ability to heal your own character they can create large swings in the life totals and interacts well with talented healer. Spear Of Darkness works at range, increase the damage it does and it's quite good.

Arcane Shell is significantly better than Arcane Aura , just try playing with both and you'll quickly see.

Twin Heals isn't great, or even good really. I'll use it in SP if it's on a non-power token item, but for a power token you have a lot better options. Like I mentioned, they can't all be winners.

20. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion