Why does MP makes me so angry sometimes?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Christofff, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

There I said it.

But I'm proud to say I don't rage-quit. And I realize that half the time when I lose I could have played better, which may have changed the outcome. But the other half the time...

Losing to sprint team or a sudden quick move/flaking move + all -out-attack+ powerful bludgeon/impaling stab ...or, losing to cushioning armor ...or facing savage curse + fireball = insta-kill your whole team...well it all makes me angry and I think I have anger issues or something.

Yes I'm competitive but it's not losing to good strategy or RNGeesus it's those random times when a strong card or above combos or combo I can't anticipate appears. And even f I could anticipate it, I could t stop it most times.

not trying to poo-poo the game, it's great, although if I'm honest I feel sprint.", and sprint, team should be removed entirely or at least nerfed. As well as defenders block.

So I admt I'm not the best player, maybe i should make more effort to reqd my opponents? but I think I need help with how angry I get sometimes. Does anyone else bave this problem?

Robauke likes this.
  2. To answer the question: I don't know.

To address some of the topics: Re ragequitting. Sure, people "ragequit" sometimes, but mostly this an artifice created by the quit-upon party: "I don't like being quit on. Better call it rage!" and thus the quit upon part becomes the rager. I often see this in action and can always tell when the quit upon party is having a good old rage when they start sending PMs post-match. Usually people just quit when they think they can no longer win and thus save a good deal of time. CH isn't the most fast-paced game.

As for sprint/team sprints needing a nerf, I don't think I agree (I only run 1 warrior). It's quite easy to anticipate, though it is true that you can't always do anything about it. If your opponent is running a human priest and non-elf warriors you should assume they're always waiting to use this (don't use your moves). In essence though, it's quite subjective what we all finding annoying. Despite getting blitzed on occasion I don't really mind getting sprinted at, even if I lose because of it. I would much rather lose to a team of sprinting warriors, than either win or lose vs a wizard team who sit at the other end of the map casting inspiration and accelerate time over and over again. At least the former scenario can still be fun.

3. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

Usually when I resign a battle it isn't because I'm angry it is because I have recognized that there is effectively nothing I can do to win and there is really no point in spending an extra couple of minutes spinning my wheels.

When I get angry it is usually because I've hit an RNG loosing streak. Where it has just been hand after hand game after game the most terrible cards I could possibly draw. The kind of RNG where your warrior only has two attacks you would consider "bad" but those have been the only attacks that have come up the whole game. Meanwhile you have been running into walls of high damage (All Out) attacks. I've pretty much sworn off quickdraw tourneys because of that phenomenon. That in which you draw nothing but junk and your opponent gets cards that have almost perfect synergy across all of their characters. The last straw for me was when my elf warrior was given the option of Arcane Aura in the first gold card selection. Which wouldn't have been so bad if the other two characters that drew before him hadn't had about the same luck... I almost resigned right there and with the way the match went I wish I had.

All of that said some of my favorite matches have been ones that have come down to the wire.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. Druidmask

Druidmask Mushroom Warrior

I ragequit a lot. But only when I know that I'm gonna lose, or just need a break from the game.

5. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I know the feeling. I most often get it, when I can not change the outcome of a match and it does not seem fair. Most often this is the case, when my opponent plays sloppy and than wins. Like you play against a cultist build, the opponent did not even try to avoid parries and kills me trough double parry and defenders block. Other than that I hate loosing to four searing pains, but who does not?

Btw. I think this anger is a reason, why we are no good players. When I look at the really good magic players, than that are the ones who stay calm and make the best of whatever they get. I love it, when LSV just says "So be it" after loosing to a lucky draw of the opponent.

Christofff likes this.
  6. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

I'd take the option to play Card-o-Tron or the other AI opponents every single time if I could. To stay sane, I deliberately sack my rating if it starts to get too high (1500+) and I also ignore chat. Not listening to other people rage and whine helps quit a bit, especially when they are being sore losers.

I really do wish I could just battle against the AI with my multiplayer party. No waiting in queues, no fighting silly BJSS spam, no dealing with ragers...

7. I knew I wouldn't be the only one who loved fighting the AI. Cardotron battles are great fun, unlike the wave upon wave of bej warriors or wizard teams. And by no means do I always win. Completely agree with you. Though not sure what it says about MP in general that the AI battles are the best.

Kerensky and Xayrn like this.
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Good to know. :rolleyes:

billiska and Fortaleza like this.
  9. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

I'm fine with MP. If i win its ok, otherwise i get experience. I do pay attention on good setups, and sometimes do something similar.

Anyway somebody gotta catch the win=) It can't be just me allways, everybody wants to win;D

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

There cannot be AI-opponent-only loot-giving multiplayer. It is way too easy to win against the AI. Most everyone would play only that as it would be the fastest way to get loot. It would almost totally kill PvP.

Please don't post telling how you (any reader, not some specific person) would still play PvP. I'm sure you personally would, good for you! Realize, though, that you are in a vanishingly small minority. Gamers will game. Any system. Especially any AI system.

doog37 and Xayrn like this.
  11. No one is (I assume?) realistically suggesting that there be AI-only MP for chests. The point is being made that it's more fun to play vs the AI for a lot of people, highlighting issues with MP that can be fixed and create a larger 1500+ player pool. Typically however when someone posts that they tank games or insta quit vs deck X it's just met with Flax's "good to know, *wink wink*" which means nothing because no one is going to be banned for those offenses unless BM enters suicide-mode.

12. Play team-based FPSes on public servers where it's not uncommon for 'teammates' to be more interested in goofing off or playing purely selfishly rather than actually playing for objectives and helping their team ("no, half the entire team should not be of one specialized support classes when there are nine classes to choose from just because you think it's kewl"), and CH will likely seem downright calming in comparison.

Reward-less Cardotron battles might be useful practice for

1) checking out a new build and getting a feel for it, especially if the player can't yet use it in a campaign mission (e.g. the characters he's using are actually lower level than 18 and don't have the tokens to equip in the campaign, like if he recruited a level 1 just for this)

2) checking out a new set of maps so you don't necessarily have to annoy a human opponent by meticulously checking potential destinations for lines of sight and so forth

13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

You can already play these battles. Just go to the test server at http://test.cardhunter.com, it's free.

As an added benefit, you can build any party with any items you wish. You can also set the level of the characters freely.

All of this is done with console commands: On the test server, press F1 twice and then type
    help
    and press Enter. Look for the Cheat commands.

doog37 and Flaxative like this.
  14. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Just tried, its offline. Though should be rather interesting indeed when/if it will be available.

15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The test server is working for me now. You must have caught it while Blue Manchu were working on it or you may have had a connection problem.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Test might still be open only to dev&qa? I'll check.

"I hate playing against others" isn't a bug in the game we can fix unfortunately. If everyone who disliked playing against human opponents had the same, tangible complaint, and if that section of our playerbase were significant (or significantly vocal), I'm sure we would do something about that tangible complaint. But it really sounds to me like some folks don't enjoy losing games against humans and/or dislike fundamental systems in Card Hunter (like die rolls and card draws), neither of which is something we can (or want) to do anything about. We have a number of players who understand that they hate competitive play and they stick to singleplayer.

Can I ask why you play multiplayer at all? I'm pretty sure I've only seen complaints about it from you, in some form or other, for about two years now. Which is fine—you don't need to like it! But I am honestly confused as to why you keep trying, so any insight into that would be helpful.

doog37 likes this.
  17. I do enjoy MP. However, once you reach 1500 you encounter 2 decks, 90% of the time. This is not enjoyable. If other people find that fun that's not something I could have a problem with, of course. In any case, at that point the choices are: Tank rank down to where it's more varied, or just play a ridiculous deck for the same result (the downside being that this takes a very long time). If there were more viable decks at higher ranks, it would therefore be more fun. This is typically where anecdotal evidence like "soandso plays 1/1/1 and has an ELO of 11 billion" crops up. I understand this is possible. I've reached 1700 with a 1/1/1 deck myself. However, it's extremely banal to face 2 decks (or slight variations on) for the vast, vast, vast majority of battles for every more interesting deck. This is why leagues are so much more entertaining (and enjoyable - look at me going and enjoying MP). I have no problem losing to a human in a league or in any other fun battle and I have never once made a post complaining about RNGs, but if you want to pass the buck and say it's just my problem you certainly have that option.

Pawndawan, Xayrn and Kerensky like this.
  18. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

If I could hazard a guess, it would be that every single PVP reward chest is now equal to or even better than finding a loot fairy in single player.

Personally though I play PVP for the variety too. Scorpion explained it pretty damn well, so I'll just like his post.

19. Fry

Fry Ogre

There is already an AI-opponent-only loot-giving mode (single player campaign). I don't see how having a AI-opponent-only loot-giving played-on-multiplayer-maps-with-multiplayer-rules mode would cause a detrimental change to the rate of loot acquisition.

Offtopic: I'm always amazed when players complain about grinds being too short, but that's not really what this thread is about...

Kerensky likes this.
  20. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

To clarify my earlier statement, if this mode was implemented, it would have to use the current single player loot tables, not the current multiplayer reward chest track.

Why? Because the multiplayer track is balanced taking into account how much harder it is to win against humans. It takes longer and the average win percentage is 50. Against a multiplayer AI the win percentage would be close to 100 and the matches would be very much shorter.

This is why most players would switch to playing this mode almost exclusively as it would be the fastest way to loot (were the feature to use the current multiplayer reward chest track).

That said, I'm all for the proposed mode. I've suggested it myself six months ago (inspired by DunDunDun).
    [SUGGESTION] "GM/AI opponents only" mode for MP (with reduced rewards)