Why are there only three (War, Priest, Wiz) classes?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by squirrat, May 16, 2018.

1. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

I would happily buy an expansion or even a sequel, but will Cardhunter actually grow further or is it going to stay three classes?

It seems that Cardhunter could be scalable to more classes quite easily from the Dev's point of view. Sure there will be card art, character and skill design, and such, but the core game mechanic is already in place that makes programming this trivial, is it not?

I understand introducing new cards and classes would cause potential imbalances, but rebalancing is part of the process.

As the game stands now, the current pvp meta is repetitive, where wizards are just used for fun and not in any serious competitive players build. Then new maps come out and all the sudden wizards are the meta. If the game were perfectly balanced, choosing a class should be based on personal preferential playing style, rather than map deterministic. Only with 6 or more classes can team builds and players' choosing classes based on preferential style become much more interesting, rather than meta driven.

Just make more classes and card items and let the balance concerns get addressed later? I guess I'm wondering if this will ever happen, or where they are at in the design process for future card hunter content.

2. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Consider how many items and cards are needed just to make a new class that feels up to par with the current classes though.

You'd need a giant set of item just to have enough items as the base set did, then you'd need to add thematic EttSC cards, CM cards and a specific form for that class. You'd need a new set of skill cards, new niches specific to the class. You'd need to add figures as well, there'd have to be basic figures, EttSC figures, AotA figures, foil figures, special prize figures, the list goes on.

Between the art assets, required programming of adding new niches and the balancing you'd be looking at an amount of content that far outstrips any expansion we've seen thus far, and that's just for one class! If there was ever a time for BM to add new classes, I think it should have been the first expansion, because by now the three classes are so well-defined that a fourth class is bound to feel underdesigned in comparison.

Adding more classes isn't also going to somehow make playstyles any less meta-driven, the new classes will either be meta on certain map rotations or not. This is no different than them adding new cards that either drive the meta in certain rotations or are never going to be meta in any rotation.

At this point I'd rather they just stick to what they've been doing thus far and make expansions with new campaign content and new cards/items for the current three classes.

tolkien, ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Yes. Are there any items that you really want but can't seem to find? Now imagine increasing the size of the item pool by 20%. Really, you can make an argument that we already have too many items in the game (especially at level 18). Also, I remember when I started playing, I had a very hard time finding any items for certain slots. The thought of adding 3-6 new slots (for each new class) would make that far worse.

4. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

What would a hypothetical fourth class be?

Wars can already be anything from berzerkers to tricksters; priests can be vamps to war priests to offensive and defensive supports; and wizards can be war wizards to glass cannons to terrain masters.

Bowmen/ranger? Would just end up being a wizard variation for all intents and purposes.
    Summoner? Would be really interesting, but probably impossible/too messy in the current UI.
    Thief/assassin? Probably the most solid / easiest to implement fourth class, a lightweight war with the ability to steal cards and backstab (think monkeys or storges), trick opponents (variations on the move/control combo cards like violent spin etc.), use light ranged attacks like hurled dagger (maybe incorporate elements of bowmen/rangers in this class), entangle/slow opponents and even use a modified/nerfed invisibility to simulate stealth (only invisible until you move next to an opponent, or they move next to you.

Ideas for other classes?

I think if a thief/assassin used variations of already existing cards, it would assuage a lot of the valid concerns raised by Kalin and Maniafig.

5. haho

haho Orc Soldier

I don't think we'll ever see one. They are probably winding down the game and focusing more on their new game. which is a shame, considering years of the same 3 classes has gotten pretty boring, and that in early development they DID have a rogue class =/

[​IMG]

smg225 likes this.
  6. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Eh, anyone who's been around for awhile would know exactly what CH's fourth class would look like. And hey, now you do, too.

You know I'd play it.

7. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Maybe adding new classes isn't possible, but what about adding new races? A new race would share the same item pools as current Human/Elf/Dwarf, but require new race traits only.

Sample new race ideas:

Golem - Very high immunity, doesn't need armor
    Demon - Summoning
    Orc - Strength, terrain effects that help them and hurt opponent
    Lich - Death effects ala putrid explosion
    Bard - Card buffing
    Rogue - Card stealing

Simplest way to expand would be add new race traits. As for new classes, the item layouts would have to differ so it's more involved, a warrior that has two war items and one wiz item for example.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018