Why are all OP claims on cards and not items?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by ratxt1, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

See, people are missing the bigger picture. None of the missions are hard if you have the right items.

2. xyceres

xyceres Kobold

Just gonna weigh in here despite the thread age.

First thing: Forlorn (I think sorry can't quote easily on my phone) you can't really compare to both d2 and wow/d3 in one lump value as they balance items differently. In wow/d3 rarity does equate to power as these games are geared more towards a gear treadmill. However d2 had a higher rarity which often swapped straight up strength for unique effects which opened the possibility of unique builds not available prior to obtaining the item. These were not always good which seems like it equates to the system cardhunter is using.

Also I'd like to point out I feel there is much to be learnt from how both Diablo like games and ccgs are balanced. An example could be an amazing pbaoe buff that only occurs on items with 2-5 loner traits. It offers a powerful card which could open weird build possibilities (thus quantifying for high rarity) but has drawbacks. However if that one card is too powerful it could limit the useful build possibilities forcing people to run a copy and work around the drawbacks which more closely resembles.a ccg issue

3. Reint

Reint Ogre

On the subject of OP common and uncommon cards, at least some of those can simply be purchased from the appropriate level shop for 5 and 25 gold respectively. The highest level ones cannot yet be shop-found and still must be farmed for, which brings me to ask if or when will a level 16-ish shop be introduced?