Why am I just now hearing about this game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Catmouth, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Catmouth

Catmouth Kobold

I heard about this game yesterday only by chance. A friend of mine, who signs up for every beta everywhere, sent me a key. He knew I like traditional TCG and pen and paper RPG. This game is crazy good fun. I can't believe I have not heard about this game before. Why isn't everyone shouting it from the mountain tops?!? Look so forward to the wide release.

2. kogi

kogi Ogre

Honestly, I would like to know too. What news sources do you read?

I think I first saw info on card hunter in Aug 2011. Most probably in Rock paper shotgun

3. progammer

progammer Ogre

I actually heard about the name around PAX last year. Didn't actually check them out until I heard it again in a forum thread about Scrolls. That's strong word of mouth for you.

4. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

This game is not on Kickstarter/Greenlight and only a few good sites bother to cover the half million indie developers around the world. When all eyes are looking at AAA titles, its very hard to get noticed with the kind of funding and manpower Blue Manchu has at the moment.

5. progammer

progammer Ogre

I actually don't think that's a reason. Blue Manchu has a really good reputation on their team (Irrational, Popcap, MtG). There is plenty of press coverage about the game (though not everywhere). There is just something preventing it from catching steam and breaking into the mass public. Could be the appeal and the business model and platform choices.

DnD is quite niche in the first place, TBS isn't being popular currently (aside from XCOM). Flash only on a browser in addition with the F2P model that resemble most P2W (though not actually P2W) probably is the main turn-off here. Just my 2 cents

6. kogi

kogi Ogre

We all should be like/tweet/instagram/vine/plus 'ing' the hell out of this game.
    Wish I knew how to help more.

j-wiz and Catmouth like this.
  7. Acen

Acen Kobold

i only heard about this fantastic game 2 days ago on youtube really great game

8. tempo

tempo Kobold

The first time I heard about this game was in an article on The Verge. It sounded really neat, but I didn't quite understand what a cross between a CCG and a tabletop game was supposed to be like because I only have very rudimentary knowledge of both. I really wanted to check it out, but beta codes were quite hard to find. It seemed like whenever someone posted any, they got snatched up immediately. It took forever for me to find a working code, but once I started playing, I was hooked.

9. Tobold

Tobold Goblin Champion

I advertised Card Hunter on my blog a lot, and handed out about 60 beta keys. But in the end that is still word of mouth. 40k beta players, 2,500 maximum peak concurrent users, all these are still really small numbers compared to the well-known games.

10. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

We hit 2,950 PCU last night I think, so things are getting better :)

Pengw1n likes this.
  11. renders

renders Kobold

I stumble across a video about it a few months ago and that's how I discovered it,wish I would have found it sooner it's my kind ofgame

12. Fongmaster

Fongmaster Kobold

I read about it on Gamesbeat. Glad I did, it's awesome. Not sure if it's possible but I think if they made an Ipad version a lot of people would jump on board.

13. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Once in a while I have the quirk to play TCGs online and then I google for it in hope tp find a game that can actually interest me.
    Some days ago this was one of those moments. And what can I say the Search for "TCG" and "browser" lead me to a Top 2013 Site. Card Hunter was amongst them so here I am. :)

14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Make sure to spread the word!

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I read about the game on jayisgames.com a day or two after launch. Since then I have been obnoxiously demanding that all my friends join. Some of them have, and they all love it :)

Megadestructo and Farbs like this.