Whoever guessed werewolves: yep!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Still on my mind, so more thoughts...

That Obliterating Chop is boosted by Slicer, but Double Axe To The Face is not even though their effects are both clearly "choppy" is defensible, coherent, and (while not necessarily intuitive) determinable from the cards, because one says "Chop" and the other doesn't. (Other similar examples exist as well.)

But if Vampire's Kiss and, say, Invigorating Touch both increased the damage of Inquisition Bolt, now not only is it confusing, and not knowable from the cards themselves, but the above example isn't even defensible really anymore. (It becomes even worse when existing low damage draining attacks aren't vamp cards).

I realized my previous solution of attack/damage type doesn't work since you've mentioned that these new cards can include non-attacks, but maybe some other ...

Off hand possible solutions:
    1. Make sure all Vamp/WW/Spirit cards have that somewhere in their name. Rename any existing cards that are going to gain the classification.
      1. OR don't give any existing cards the classification, and make mirror effect vamp/ww/spirit cards.
    2. Add the "Info Bar" (area on attack cards that lists attack/damage type) to all vamp/ww/spirit cards regardless of card type and put the identifier in the white space on the right side of the bar.
    3. Create a symbol and put it somewhere on the card.
    4. Make a keyword and just tack it on as a single word "sentence" at the end of the card text box to identify all vamp/ww/spirit cards. For consistency I'd probably do this even if they have v/ww/s in the card name. This seems like the least elegant solution that would be easy to miss, but at least at a minimum it puts the info on the cards.
    5. Other options...?

2. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

I think 4 would be the best options. For 1 renaming existing cards or creating mirror effects would require much work and might comfuse people.

For number 2 it may cause problems as people may think a card is an attack card even if it isn't and think that damage boosting cards like arcane aura will cause it to deal damage even when it doesn't.

3 is probably the second best option but it may be too small to see? I like 4 a lot more as it is clear and avoids ambiguity. Better to not be elegant than to confuse people.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

#4 is the best option I've thought of so far as well. Jon and I are discussing this :)

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Oops, this is what I get for posting super early in the morning. All cards have the info bar, and there isn't a "white space" on the right side, that's where they say what item they came from (its just not shown on some cards in the wiki which is where I got confused).

I suggested putting it at the end, but come to think of it, at the beginning would work too. "Werewolf. When this attack deals damage..."
    I'm sure whatever y'all come up with, it'll do the trick!

5. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

It would be a little weird if Lunging Bite becomes a werewolf card and then spiders and mutans have werewolf cards. Though I guess they could make a different but similar card for werewolfs.

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This is my main hesitation. There's a lot of existing cards that are used in these decks.

7. hello world

hello world Hydra

Maybe you could use names like Feral, vampiric and ethereal.

8. hwango

hwango Hydra

That is the best sentence ever.

9. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

All I know is that I'm excited for new content :D

10. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Do you want inquisition bolt to do extra damage on spiders and mutants?

11. Pokemaster131

Pokemaster131 Lizardman Priest

Zombie Form does not have a passive boost. It is not a card that is on any item, though it is applicable via Spark of Undeath, or by drawing it once Zombie Form is already active.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

At the time that I wrote that Zombie Form was not in the game yet :p

But yeah, it's not a deckbuilding choice, so kind of irrelevant.