Who here paints miniatures?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. toborprime

toborprime Kobold

I got super excited when I saw the title of this thread! Here are some photos of things I've been working on, or finished... some pretty old - pushing 3 years or so.

These Spayce Muhreens used to be Ultramarines, and I recently repainted them with the Crimson Fists livery:
    Unfinished Captain model from the Black Reach (I think?) Boxed set:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Two tactical squads, mixed parts from one of the newer GW boxes, and from waaaay back in Warhammer 40k Second Edition:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please excuse the art tape along the bases; I put these guys on my drafting table, so it's there to prevent them from sliding off to their doom. One of these days I'll get around to flocking them and adding proper squad/chapter markings to their pauldrons.

On the left, some Warhammer Orcs. On the right, some Orcs from Hero Quest :D (still play the silly game)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I've also got some Ork Boyz from 40K I just started a few months ago. Maybe I'll post some progress photos or sommat. This is a great thread, and it's definitely got me inspired to break out the minis and the paints!

aeneas and Megadestructo like this.
  2. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I'm a little embarrassed of my meager offerings amongst what is on show in this thread (dear people who paint human skin, how on earth do you do it and get it to look good?). Regardless, here are some examples of the pieces I've painted for Fantasy Flight's Battlestar Galactica board game. They were simply drybrushed a single colour, but in my opinion it picks out the details really nicely.

Raider.jpg

Heavy Raider.jpg

Raptor.jpg

I started work on the vipers (more than one colour - shock!) but got distracted by painting a squad of Blood Ravens space marines, which I am working on at the moment.

Edit - Oops, those pictures are bigger than I intended and I don't know how to shrink them. The models themselves are probably under a quarter of the size that they currently are on my screen!

Megadestructo likes this.
  3. toborprime

toborprime Kobold

I didn't realize there was a Battlestar Galactica board game! Is it mostly ship combat and such? That sounds pretty sweet.

I'm not the best at painting flesh, but I usually start with an undercoat of black, then apply a base coat of a somewhat darker flesh tone (I've still got plenty of Games Workshop brand paint with their flesh tones, but I'm starting to lean more toward the Vallejo model paints, mostly because of the container they come in... makes it easier to grab small amounts and put them in a palette without worrying about the paint in the pot drying out :) ).

Then, apply a lighter flesh (your base coat color mixed with some yellow, or white works nicely) tone to the raised areas of the skin. Then giving everything a wash with some brownish ink, or very watered down brown ink will make for some respectable skin tone.

If you want to take it further, add a layer of highlights (this can be your basic flesh color just used again in this step) to the raised areas of the skin after the wash dries. Then, if you want to go super duper purdy, add one more layer of extreme highlights (highlighted flesh tone mixed with a bit more white) used sparingly to only the most raised parts of the model. And there's always dry-brushing the highlights, which I think looks just fine! Those ships of yours work perfectly well for a game, I'd say. I really like the bronze-ish gold dry-brush job you did especially in the bottom photo. And the Cylon ships look awesome, too!

I'm not the best at human skin, but this guy is amazing to watch:

It's very relaxing, watching other people paint tiny men :)

4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Nice work, everyone! Like I said, I've only got Night Goblins that I've been practicing on so I not going to post any more. HOWEVER I found an old Space Marine Terminator figure I'm going to attempt soon (just glued the bits together) in prep for painting my Horde group. I'll definitely be posting that up in all its hilarity :)

5. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Wow these are awesome! Impressive work!

6. Card Hunter Joe

My GF has never forgiven me for throwing her in the brig under the suspicion of being a Cylon. I was wrong. That was four year ago.

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Watch out, Joe. SHE HAS A PLAN.

8. Card Hunter Joe

I've been learning to paint using the 40K starter set, "Dark Vengeance." I started with the Dark Angels Space Marines. I found their purity and nauseating uniformity to be an impediment to my experimental art skills. A couple of weeks ago I switched to painting the chaos cultists. Their general shoddy appearance seems to map well to my crude skills. Encouraged by early success, I decided to branch out and try the Chaos Space Marines, with their delightfully decadent red and gold color scheme. Two weeks ago I decided to take on the Big Kahuna Burger from the 40K Dark Vengeance set, the Chaos Hellbrute. Now I wish I hadn't. It's taking me forever. Anyway, here is the work in progress. I will put up again when I'm done in, oh, two years time.

IMG_04462.jpg IMG_04502.jpg

9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Whoah, that's still really nice!

10. aeneas

aeneas Kobold

wow there are some pretty talented painters on here. Good going everyone.

11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

DIGGING UP AN OLD THREAD. Why? Because I started painting the zombies in my copy of 'Zombicide' which has, like, 60+ zombies in it. Good lord, why did I do this to myself? Anyway, here's my latest piece. The sculpts are really quite good here:

[​IMG]

Flaxative likes this.