Who here paints miniatures?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

I ran the Newcastle (Australia) store for one year, when I was 22. Why would I leave animation to work in a shop? Simple answer: It paid better and I got miniatures at 50% off. It was a fun job and I especially enjoyed teaching customers how to paint. I'm pretty sure I had the record for lowest takings in a day, which was 60 cents, for one pot of paint at 50% staff discount.

I have a small blog devoted to mostly 15mm sci-fi miniatures, which I have been painting lately. Take a look at the following link if you like:

http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com.au/

Grombak and Megadestructo like this.
  2. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

This thread has the taint of Chaos about it.

I should have been an Inquisitor.

[​IMG]

aeneas, Grombak and Megadestructo like this.
  3. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Eisenhorn!

4. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

The whole light effect off the powersword is amazing. Beats the hell out of the glowy plastic bits on the necrons.

5. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

this one looks particulary amazing! I would never have the patience to do that.

6. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

You painted that, right?

7. Darkmatter

Darkmatter Kobold

I paint miniatures. I dont have pics right now, but I'll post some when I get home. I'm in the agonisingly slow queue to receive a metric ton of reaper bones miniatures via their kickstarter last year. Reaper minis are the best. Their paint is the best. No other company caters for D&D styled miniatures so well! You know, if there was a tabletop iteration of cardhunter, reaper minis would fit SO WELL.

8. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Hell no, I've got shaky hands like a monkey on crack. And just like that monkey, I have more expensive hobbies which take up more of my time. I like playing the game (40K) more anyway. Golden Demon comps are always good for viewing though

9. Card Hunter Joe

I am currently working my way through the Warhammer Dark Vengeance starter kit. I have been impressed and intimidated by the Chaos Space Marines. I had decided I would never be competent enough to paint one. Today I put my fears aside and had a go. Quite pleased with the way this fellow turned out. Slightly concerned at how readily I find myself drawn towards Chaos.

photo.JPG

Grombak and Megadestructo like this.
  10. Card Hunter Joe

And I wish I could take a half decent photo.

11. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

For photos, take one at a distance, then crop to size. That way, the camera has an easy time with focus.

Liking Chaos isn't quite as bad as liking Eldar, but close. No one likes an uppity space elf.

12. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Macro-settings, Joe! And Chaos is where it's at!

13. Darkmatter

Darkmatter Kobold

Here are some pics of miniatures I have painted (and actually finished) in the last couple of years. I'm always putting it off these days. (Yes, that is an ipod watch as a stand for the minis - I needed something to keep the sheet of paper up as backing!)
    photo (4).JPG photo (3).JPG photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG

Megadestructo and Grombak like this.
  14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Nice work!

15. reifenrath

reifenrath Kobold

Here are some pics of my current D&D character ( Owen Runepriest )
    3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

16. Vertash

Vertash Kobold

It's not exactly dakkadakka material , but I enjoy doing it :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Card Hunter Joe

Nice work Vertash! It's super relaxing isn't it?

Darkmatter likes this.
  18. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Had to dig up my old Night Goblins, a bit dusty and all, and just an iPhone to capture them with.

shrooming.jpg

Megadestructo and Grombak like this.
  19. Vertash

Vertash Kobold

Yeah , turn on smooth jazz radio and can waste away an entire day :)

20. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I only have 8 colors to work with at the moment, so not much variety yet for me. Though I did prime two more night goblins (they just came in the pack).