Which race should be next?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkDain, Nov 4, 2012.

?

What Race would you like to see next?

1. Orc

28.2%
  2. Half-Ling

24.7%
  3. Another Dwarf

2.4%
  4. Gnome

18.8%
  5. Something Draconic

24.7%
  6. Undead

32.9%
  7. Something less classical

37.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

If we're gonna stick with the classic D&D aesthetic, the only real obvious choice from that list is halfling. Hey, and if the first "expansion class" is rogue, they'd work wonderfully together. :)

2. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

There's only one other race I want to see.

Nerds.

They're definitely a Race, not a Class, since Nerds can be Warriors or Wizards or Priests or what have you.

I figured Klingon was out of the question... copyrights, and all that.

3. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Mushroom Warrior

But what kind of Nerds? There are three sub-races of nerds in this image:

[​IMG]

Pink Nerds, Purple Nerds, and the kind of Nerds that don't reproduce.

Zoorland likes this.
  4. Could also go with half-orc rather than just flat out orc if you really wanted to stick to classics. I wouldn't really mind seeing it take either the strictly D&D or a somewhat more unique path really

5. SQW

SQW Kobold

Give us some multi-limbed body type and the corresponding anatomically correct movement.

A lot of Eastern mythologies have multi-limb + multi-head creatures and I personally blame Tolkien and the likes for the prevalence of humanoid archetypes in Western fantasies. :D

Elf - hippie human
    Dwarf - midget human
    Orc - steroid human
    Undead - dead human
    Everything else - human with Halloween masks

6. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

If a creature had 4 arms and 2 heads, and COULDNT wield 4 weapons and wear 2 helmets, i'd wonder why it was a race to play as in the first place. But a race like that would be overpowered at best and extremely linear at worst even if you arbitrarily remove other equipment slots to compensate. Thought about like Centaur or Naga that would just be a couple gear slots exchanged.

7. SQW

SQW Kobold

But that's saying Orcs are better than human because they hit harder; we found a way to balance that didn't we?

It's fantasy so why shouldn't Naga be able to wield 4 weapons? There are plenty of way to balance the offensive advantages with some made-up racial weakness or item balancing - like being limited to light armour due to the need to be flexible with 4 arms or weakness to the colour yellow etc.

I'd love to have Naga/Centaur as playable characters or any races that differ significantly from the standard one head, two arms, a body and two legs variety.

8. Elesh Norn

Elesh Norn Kobold

I think a fun twist would be a "Jekyll-Hyde" concept. You have a human-werewolf for instance. While human, you have access to human cards. Every 3rd turn your character "turns" and you get a werewolf with werewolf cards. Obviously you can have a drawback like....you can only have half the normal amount of cards a character would have but you get the point. You could do werewolves, vampires, demons, etc.

9. BossLagomorph

BossLagomorph Kobold

I know the theme is classic medieval fantasy, but more variety would be great. Maybe a merchant or a good monster character.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Since when is merchant a race? also go go friendly kobold!

11. BossLagomorph

BossLagomorph Kobold

"Merchant" was just something I threw out there, you get the idea!

12. Caleb

Caleb Kobold

OWLBEAR!
    or (a little) more seriously Construct

13. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Thri-kreen!

14. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

obviously it should be donkey

15. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

MAN-BEAR-PIG! :D

16. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

Construct
    Fey

Although I'd like to know how different races affect the character before truly deciding my choice.

17. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

The current races just affect hp, default move card, and some racial equipment(IE: some of the skill slot equipment is race specific). Dwarves have most hp, worst move, elves have least hp, best move, humans are in between. I don't know much about the racial skills, but I do know that humans have some very nice card cycling ones.

18. Dhramund

Dhramund Mushroom Warrior

What Kaerius said about the default move card and HP are correct. There is a race-specific slot where each race has unique abilities to equip there. The third Video Diary shows a few of the dwarf versions starting at 2:45.

19. Althezel

Althezel Mushroom Warrior

Honestly, I think this game has the potential to stand out more than doing something classical like D&D or what-not due to the way the races make a difference in card choices. I think uniqueness should be a first.

My vote would be for something like Pixie, Fey, Kobold, maybe something with wings like a gargoyle? I don't know about the gargoyle, but you get the gist.

I think that really the races come down to the specialty race cards and that using humanoid-type creatures like half elf or half orc or halfing wouldn't have enough variety. Something more mysterious and colorful would make a better addition. I'm also a firm believer that we should probably stick to non-multi-armed races until we know whether or not they CAN/WANT to change the number of equipment slots based on physical characteristics like that. It may be too difficult to code that sort of sheet in depending on their setup. But, hey, Pixies are cool (and would make cool rogues with some unique racial passives).

20. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

From a code perspective this should work just fine already. It's much more of a design and production issue. Would such characters be balanced against others? Would they make a good addition to the game? Would they make a better addition to the game than a different race or class or adventure that we could spend our time on? Would they require a lot of new design content (items, cards etc). These are the sorts of things we'd consider when deciding to add a new race, unless of course the race also required new rules or particularly complex new cards, in which case code complexity would also matter.

Zoorland likes this.