Which bad trait do you hate the most.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by RoflCat, Mar 25, 2013.

1. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

I'm not talking about drawback card that stay in hand like Slowed or Unfortunate Surge that you can work around it.

I mean those annoying one that's also Trait, and some of them is just so crippling that you'd never use that item in fear of the thing coming up and utterly screw up your plan.

My list right now are:
    1. Superstition - the fact that it proc from ANY character's death (ally or enemy, the former giving an extra "you're screwed" level to it) and last a whopping 3 rounds really make it hard to use this, unless your priest have a lot of buff to throw on you.
    2. Cowardly - After one time my human priest used Leadership and this thing empty my wizard's hand, I stop ever using any item with it.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Superstition would be the one card I would never use, also Loner - as it apparently counts opponent as characters. Ouchie.

3. Malliki

Malliki Kobold

mind leak can also empty your hand pretty fast, especially if your fighting fire imps -.-'

4. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Loner is top of the pile for me.

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

In pve superstition and cowardly i don't even bother trying because they can burn you so badly and loner is very high on my list as well on most maps. In pvp trip nothing can screw you over more than not being able to position your guys at all.

6. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

1. Superstition
    2. Cowardly
    3. Trip

7. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

1- Trip (doesn't matter when you got this! is ALWAYS a bad time)
    2- Cowardly (this make you worthless)
    3- Loner (worst enemy in most of the maps)

Fright also super annoying

8. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Superstition is just ridiculous. :mad:

I tried playing around with it a few times and I just wanted to cry. There are ways to try and minimize the effect of it, but... no. I've not yet seen any combination of card suite and item level/talent cost that is worth having that card in it.

Also not a fan of... well, all the other cards you guys have mentioned. I'm not sure BM does this at all, but if they do, I have to seriously question the item-building cost of a lot of the drawback cards. Right now it seems like all drawbacks are "valued" the same, when in practice they very much are not equal.

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Interesting. Many have listed Cowardly, but none have listed the equivalent Dropped Guard.

I've definitely used Superstitious as some of my desired card suites demand it (and, hey, sometimes you gotta do those drawback challenges). I manage it the same way (I imagine) one would use Squeamish: plan your attacks around NOT triggering the effect. For Squeamish, you hit enemies you WON'T kill (and let your friends handle the rest); for Superstitious, you don't kill anyone until the superstitious character's cards are used up. I've rarely used Squeamish, but it strikes me that Superstitious would be EASIER: it's just like making sure your Wavering Faith is the last card you play.

Still can't find a way around Trip, though. Except Purge and Shrug It Off. OH WAIT.

10. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

Sir Knight: Dropped Guard only rid yourself of Block and Armor, so unless you were already in corner, have some need to tank up, or have Trip on you, just running away is still fine (and sometimes, running away is better than trying to tank it...9 damage pen stab ; ;)

There's 3 reasons why Superstition is worse than Squeamish in my opinion:
    1. It last longer - 3 rounds vs 2, given how damaging some enemies can be, that extra round can really hurt.
    2. Waiting is often NOT an option - 3 rounds of CH with nobody die? Either half your group already die and you're just running around slowly pelting at enemies, there's only one badass enemy (Dragons) or both side are seriously unlucky with the draws.
    And if your ally die, whoops there goes your cards. <- this part is especially painful.
    3. There's no way to work around it - Note the Sqeamish's wording of "base damage". This means that a warrior can use low damage attack and buff it up with Frenzy or traits and still kill things, or, as you said so, have another character land the killing blow. And if anything, drawing Squeamish early might just make you laugh happily since the first few rounds might be spent on moving around and almost killing things.
    On Wizard you can also just use ground effect (since that target the floor) or AoE attack to go around targeting the victim directly.
    (Well at least that's what I think, I haven't found any item with Squeamish I'd care to try)

If you manage to use the last card to kill something with Superstition, great, now keep that up for a few more rounds...

11. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Very thorough analysis. My response, I guess, is . . .
    Cool, I will, thanks! (But in all seriousness, I have no problem with just playing one of three characters first. With Superstition, at least, there's a benefit in that it's impossible for a character with a played-out hand to lose further cards. And I've had lots of practice with the vaguely-equivalent situation of playing Wavering Faith last to avoid excessive card loss.)

Though the 3 rounds versus 2 rounds thing is definitely a point against Superstition.

12. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Trip... oh boy, you guys have seen my video of absolute failure with trip. I started using arrogant armor because of this card

Big weapon is on my list of ones I avoid now because they give me hope like they may possibly work, then they fail at a critical moment.

13. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Lol, I just deal with superstition. Sometimes it can be a pain, but you just keep an eye on it and its all good.
    Loner hurts a little/a lot, but my crazy priest gets some epic lifesteal combos out of it, and she also has the mad frenzy one too. Shes a bit hit and miss, but when she hits, its instaheal and down goes unfortunate minion of darkness. So shes emotionally unstable, we all are at some point.

The immoveable one was most annoying for me

14. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

It seems I am the odd man out. I actually like Loner! I typically use enough armor to negate the damage, or have Martyrs Blessing on making me draw from self damaging traits. But as far as cards I refuse to use again would be Dropped Guard, and Superstition. You can always shrug off bad traits; but if you don't have a hand you don't stand a chance! :p

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

You must have some nice anti psychic armor :p

16. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Oh, yes. I have reliable mail on all of my characters. My Warrior actually has 5 or 6 of them! :D

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

My point was that loner does damage that armor cant prevent just to make that clear.

18. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

... :oops: I feel like a rube. Well, I'll just have to take out my frustrations out on you some more in MP! :p

19. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

Loner is probably the negative trait that has killed me the most.
    Although Superstition sounded so bad that I never even equipped any item with it regardless of how good the other cards on it were.