What should we call ourselves?

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Kalin, Nov 29, 2013.

?

Someone who creates and shares custom scenarios is called a...

1. Creator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Designer

33.3%
  3. Editor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Custom-er

16.7%
  5. Modder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. GM

50.0%
  1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

We're not devs, but we're not just players either; we're creating new content for others to use. So what should we call ourselves?

2. Designer. A person who designs a custom scenario.

Creator sounds like a god.
    Editor sounds like someone who works for a magazine.
    Custom-er sounds like someone who wants to buy something.
    Modder sounds like someone who makes mods for all kinds of games.
    GM sounds like someone who is participating in the gaming event (which scenario designers do not).

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Custom Map Makers (CSM for short)? Designers make it sounds too official, in my book. Possibly Contributors - or Custom Content Contributors (CCC/3C).

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Designer's legit. GM is awesome tho :)

5. Designer is a simple and easy-to-understand word that is used in many different situations. I don't see how it could ever be considered too official. "I am the designer of this custom scenario". Looks very non-official to me. You design the scenario, therefore you are the designer.

As for Custom Map Makers (CSM).. how's that not too official? I mean it even has its own abbreviation :) Besides, we are not only making maps, we are building whole scenarios. Maps are only half the equation.

We have a problem with semantics. We basically have three versions for the same exact thing:

- Custom map
    - Custom game
    - Custom scenario

"Custom map" is flawed because it describes only a part of the creation. Still it's used by many on the forums.

"Custom game" looks to be official at first glance because it's used both as the name of the forum section and in the "Create Custom Game" button inside the game. But when you actually click the button, the window that opens, says "Setup Custom Scenario". I personally dislike the word "game" because it's so arbitrary. I find it a bit confusing that we are playing a game called Card Hunter, in which we play custom games. Opening a new map and killing a couple of goblins, is not a "game" in my mind.

"Custom scenario" is the best option imo. It perfectly describes the combination of a map and monsters. Another good option would be "Custom Encounter" or something.

Of course it doesn't matter much what we call them as long as people understand what we are talking about, but to avoid any confusion, it would be useful if everyone used same words to describe something.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

GM is fun, but I think that's more appropriate a title for someone who, for the benefit of an opponent, picks scenarios and plays as the monsters. So I voted Designer.

Flaxative likes this.