What movies have you watched recently, and how good were they?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Magic Elves, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Because I'm both interested in what the tastes of Cardhunter has and I also need more movie recommendations.

I am the hugest fan of bad/hilarious/amazing kung-fu movies, and recently watched Big Trouble in Little China. I'm honestly still not sure whether it's a homage poking fun at 70's action movies, or a 70's action movie that wandered into the 80's, but either way it's still filled with everything one needs: a kidnapped girlfriend, evil sorcerers (which proves it's not Cardhunter related, hence the off-topic subforum), and an entire cast of characters that are all black belts and knowledgeable about ancient Chinese mythology for no adequetly explained reason. The fights are many, the plot is silly, and it keeps your attention the entire time. Finally, you can also see a character that appears to have inspired a certain card's artwork, so keep your eyes peeled for him!

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The Texans 1938, Randolph Scott, Walter Brennan. A pretty good movie given the standards of the day. It deals with the 'reconstruction' in Texas following the War of Northern Aggression. I didn't notice anything Card Hunter related.
    Available on YouTube.

3. boro

boro Goblin Champion

You've seen Black Dynamite?

4. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Yea, it was a good movie even though it was a bit slowly paced sometimes. Then again, I guess it would be too expensive to just have an action movie actually be non-stop action for a change.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

http://xkcd.com/311/

Magic Elves likes this.
  6. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Funny that you mention Big Trouble in Little China; I'm pretty sure Spark Generator is based on one of the characters from it :cool:

Anyway, if you're interested in interested in bad/hilarious/amazing kung-fu movies, then you need to see Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Magic Elves likes this.
  7. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

2 great movies (Death Note):
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/ - no clue why this has got such a weird cover picture
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810827/

I hadn't seen the anime before watching these and I hadn't enjoyed any movies this much before. Storyline is very different from the one in anime which is why some DN fans don't like these but imo that's not bad at all - why would you like to watch a movie you know 1000 spoilers about anyway :p

8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Let's see. There was The Raid 2 (2014), which is astonishing martial art excess.
    Another great actioner with similar tropes, but a bit more grounded: The man from nowhere (2010). South Korean movies are still real movies.

I got curious and watched 'The Uninvited" (1944), since i read that this was Hollywoods first Scare / Ghost Movie that set the rules for all to come. Entertaining.

Then there was Ravenous (1999), which was ludicrous in a good way.

But i'm gonna recommend something less obvious.
    The Guard (2011)
    - Trailer
    One from the top shelf.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Sir Veza likes this.
  9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

10. iruj

iruj Orc Soldier

11. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Looks like we are quite the Brandon Gleeson Fans here at Cardhunter.

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Maybe, but no one has mentioned In Bruges yet.

Robauke and Hyoscine like this.
  13. Hyoscine

Hyoscine Kobold

I liked that movie so much, I went to Bruges on holiday once. Also a fan of Bruges-la-Morte, but that's a pretty different deal.

Sir Veza likes this.
  14. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Agreed. Plus the action sequences were good, like the window jump (here the making of).

Memories of Murder (2003) is another nice movie from South Korea. For slow-paced thrillers fans.

15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

There are tons of good korean movies. I had a phase where i was crazy about them, i bought Memories of Murder, The Good, the Bad the Weird (Great 'Western' by Kim Jee-woon!) and Thirst on Disc. "Going by the Book" (2007) is a clever 'Hostage Situation' cop comedy i can recommend as well. Watch it on youtube below - Everyone new to the whole idea of watching korean cinema, give it a shot, it is so refreshing.

(sadly not the best quality)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Sir Veza likes this.
  16. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Halloween approaching! Here a entry piece recommendation into the movie season.

Watched a neat little suspense/slasher movie, Phenomena (1984) by Dario Argento while looking a bit closer at a peculiar super famicom horror game ("Clocktower") i stumbled upon.
    The movie is starring a super young Jennifer Cornelly stranded in "swiss transilvania", the whole thing is trippy, slightly weird - but definitely entertaining.

[​IMG]

17. Speaking of films by director Dario Argento...

Suspiria (1977).
    [​IMG]

It involves an ballet student trying to enter a prestigious ballet school, but getting side tracked on her way there by gruesome murders.

It was a nice little movie. The effects were laughable in this day and age, but the movie was the last film released in Technicolor and it has a nice visual style.

The band Mortician made a song based on the movie and even used on the movies musical cues for the beginning of the song.

18. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I was planning on playing Cardhunter tonight, but then I saw that the Blues Brothers was recommended on Netflix and I had to follow my personal rule of watching that movie whenever I'm reminded to. No other movie struck such a perfect balance between musical dance numbers and car chases, not to mention its great comedy. If you haven't watched it and like movies, go watch it. I don't give many things the label of "Timeless", but this movie is entirely deserving of it.

19. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

Age of Ultron baby, and it was pretty good! =))))

neoncat and LeisureSuitLoli like this.
  20. I had a screening of Star Wars VII. It was unfinished but it was better than all the prequels combined. It wasn't groundbreaking but it deserved the Star Wars name.

neoncat likes this.