What kind of classes or monsters would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hopibear, Jul 25, 2011.

1. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

Another thing to be concerned with is decking out. I would hope that when out of cards to draw, your discard is shuffled and becomes your deck. Would be interesting if you lost a turn to "catch your breath/stunned" when the deck has to be reshuffled. Impedes players from making super draw combos, and gives an incentive to make discard decks. Would allow for cross class synergy if rogues or berserkers get a damage bonus against "stunned" enemies too.

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Indeed, that is what happens when you draw through your deck. The penalty for churning through the whole deck is an interesting idea. It hasn't proved to be necessary to have anything like this yet though.

SurgeonFish and secran like this.
  3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

We definitely haven't shown you the more complex cards yet. That said, our cards probably are a bit simpler than the ones from MtG, but don't forget that you have the whole board and spatial issues that add a lot of depth. The tactical situations can get *plenty* complex enough.

4. FreakGlista

FreakGlista Kobold

It would be really great that you don't have too much cards in deck, that way you can get card, you want to play. Regardless "The penalty".

5. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I hope there wont be a regular issue of "Useless cards" in your hand, will there be a way to cycle them out? I'm assuming movement has probably something to do with the cards in your hand that may not be as useful in certain situations (possible alternate for most cards to be expended to move instead of its use effect?), will there be a way to discard manually? or will that be something where you just wait another turn for 2 more cards?

Edit: BTW is anyone else super excited about all the mystery surrounding the game currently? i know i am, and im eager for more little tidbits of info from Jon and his team :)

6. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

You discard down to two, so it's unlikely you'll be stuck with a bunch of useless cards. We haven't seen the deck mechanics at all, so I have no idea how many cards you get per turn or if there's ways of manipulating your graveyard / library etc., to use M:tG terms.

secran likes this.
  7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Manipulating the deck and discard pile, I imagine, will occur through traditional means (e.g., an effect that says "look through your deck and choose a card"). There are only so many ways a card game player can physically interact with cards; if this game doesn't let you touch the deck and discard through special effects, it would be beneath player expectations. But what's cool about a computer version is you can have more ways of interaction than usual: not just "you choose a card," but "the computer selects (e.g.) ten attack cards and you may choose one." It's faster when a computer does it, and it feels less like a ripoff if you don't see all the other cards you would have to pass by.

(Also, "cards per turn"? That's over here.)

8. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Im trying to find the quote where i think jon said we draw 2 cards per turn, ive been unsuccessful

Edit: Found it, also the new dev diary today which explains movement states you get 2 cards as well, plus a move card.

9. Jedimus

Jedimus Kobold

I would like to be able to fight...

A GAZEBO!

secran likes this.
  10. Sir Knight

Yeah, yeah, and once you're warmed up you'll take on a topiary/davenport tag-team.

11. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

I can see it now "Gazebo may only be dealt damage from one source. Gazebos damage may not be redirected or reduced."

12. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

"You take a mighty blow to the Gazebos. One round stunned and movement is reduced to Hobble" :eek:

13. Kaltorak

Kaltorak Kobold

Gazebo are cool and strong, but I'll like to see strong flavored monsters as entire bands made of goblinoids, orcs, undead and so on. With some nice twist.

14. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

I know I'm posting this rather late in the discussion, and that gives me the benefit of having had a look through all the dev diaries, but I think the concept of "Advanced" classes is unnecessary. Specialized classes can be defined by what weapons the arch-type has equipped, and thus what cards they have access to.
    You want a Summoner/Necromancer (not actually implemented, but fingers crossed, eh?) you just need to give your wizard every single piece of equipment that has a summon card associated with it. Want a Hexer/Despoiler instead? Give them all the gear with the negative attachment cards.
    The only additional classes I'd like to see implemented are the ones that bring to the table equipment the other classes don't have access to (I'm not sure if bows/crossbows and the like are in. A Ranger would be a good example here if they aren't, but a moot point if they are) or the ones that have different combinations of slots for equipment. (I'm reasonably certain that came up in a diary, I wasn't clever enough to think of it myself)

As for Monsters....Mimics.
    Mimics everywhere. I love to hate Mimics.
    A very old (Or was it very recent? I'm a little hazy) D&D Module had you fight a Greater Mimic (In the form of an adorable little girl) inside her murder house, where every item strewn about the room turned out to be a lesser mimic.
    Candelabra? Mimic.
    Hat-stand? Mimic.
    Bookshelf? Mimic...filled with smaller Mimics.
    I also think forcing the player to fight enemies that are copies of themselves might reveal strengths/flaws in their decks that they might otherwise not have been aware of.

A Gelatinous Cube would also be a sight to see.
    Can't beat a monster where the designer basically looked at a box of jelly and went "Y'know what? I can make that work.".

Ystin likes this.
  15. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

16. SQW

SQW Kobold

Why are majority of suggestions centred around old D&D archetypes of humanoid bipedal heroes that operate on land? It's a fantasy world!

Where are the glider lizardmen, hawk people, six limbed mermaids, undead krakens and psychic mantis broods etc? Let your imagination run wild and it could open up a whole set of dungeon tile set based on water and aerial environments with associated penalties/bonuses. I know humans are more comfortable playing with characters with human characteristics but the whole dwarf/elf/orc thing is getting a bit stale.

Ystin likes this.
  17. Chatoyance

Chatoyance Kobold

I would want to play as a sapient quadruped possessed of simple telekinetic instrumentality in place of hands or arms. Let me play as a unicorn! Natural split class magic-user/fighter (horn), fairly straightforward, but unique! Saddlebags for loot, assorted tack in place of armor, and magic rings go round the horn. It would be trivial to adapt, yet no other game would have a playable creature of this type as a hero. It would be potentially defining.

And it would make me very, very happy. Consider it, please.

18. Sir Knight

19. Rudolpho

Rudolpho Kobold

Whee-haw! Whee-haw!

Ystin and Zoorland like this.
  20. Sir Knight

"Latest member: Rudolpho"

"from Cardhuntria"

What.

Ystin likes this.