What is the shortest method to get most gold pieces (gp)

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by ClimbHigh, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Item's are heavily weighted at certain levels. But we also receive items from a spread of levels from each adventure, it appears to be at least +- 2 levels.

So Jon says the rarity is decided first, so we have to roll a legendary quality, then they pick an item from the available pool (which would seem to include the level spread we see at other rarities).

So if I understand this, there should still be a decent pool available to choose from., regardless of level. Say you beat a level 14 module, the roll says you get a legendary. There is only 1 level 14 legendary, but there are 38 at level 12, 7 at level 13, 34 at 15 and 9 at 16. So I think that you would be rolling to choose from that pool of 89 total legendaries across the (at least) 5 levels.

Based on this you shouldn't see more copies of St. Pascal's Torch, it just becomes another item in a relatively long list. The level 1 to 3 adventures are the one that appear to be picking from the smallest available pool, the list of potential legendaries is pretty small, so you could see more of those over time.

2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for the carification, that's true. I was trying to further illustrate with the torch example what it actually means to have a large amount of high-rarity items at a certain level and what it doesn't mean, but I should have left out the near-infinite part, that's not how the loot system works.

3. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I played the level 3 adventure "Lair of the Trog Wizard" battle 1 "Scuttler Warren" 100 times. It took me a little over 4 hours. I'm a club member so I got 300 items. Here's the loot breakdown:

Level 1: 54 (12 %)
    Level 2: 79 (26.3 %)
    Level 3: 108 (36 %)
    Level 4: 42 (14 %)
    Level 5: 13 (4.3 %)
    Level 6: 4 (1.3 %)

Common: 210 (70 %)
    Uncommon: 59 (19.7 %)
    Rare: 24 (8 %)
    Epic: 6 (2 %)
    Legendary: 1 (0.3 %) (Relic Of St. Darqar. It had to be. :p)

Analysis to follow.

Turbo164, Andrew Talbot, kogi and 3 others like this.
  4. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Always appreciative of someone who can contribute actual data to a discussion.

5. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

By the way, I got treasure worth 314 gold among the loot. 29 x Side Of Bacon and assorted jewelry.

6. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Nicely done. If the sole goal is for gold, replaying an adventure this way is probably one of the fastest and easiest methods. If you're this focused on a single adventure after a couple of days a lot of those rares would be sold back to the shop as well (you'll find you can quickly max out on duplicates).

Treasure club makes a big difference, that contributes a third of the results in this kind of endeavor.

7. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I guess one other small question, would be is the level weighted in the +3 direction for that map simply because at low levels there isn't as much variety, so the devs make the range a little larger for the low level dungeons. I've played games where the range is huge in beginner dungeons, and extremely narrow in the top level ones. It might be useful to know that the very minor +-3 and it's percentage of occurrence is consistent across the entire range of dungeon levels. Probably taking a mid range and max level dungeon sampling aught to do the trick in finding any really varied trends. I wouldn't think you'd need to poke at every single adventure in that way.
    It might also go a long way in soothing some unspoken worries that if during this testing, it can be proven that there isn't a pay-to-enter adventure that happens to also give a particularly optimal droprate.

8. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

Somehow I have 2 Staff Of The Misanthrope, 4 (!?!) Staff Of The Inferno and yet I'm struggling to find any item with Volcano :( So I feel your pain.

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Okay. Which level shall you test :)?

I know already of a level 16 adventure dropping several level 13 items. That phenomenon is not restricted to level 3 adventures. I'll log more info as I continue my experimentation in farming (in all likelihood not as intensively).

If everyone reading this who grinds a SP level would log and post loot item level data of just ten plays, we'd soon have a nice body of data to examine. I can take care of compiling it. Please contribute if you care to help the player community in this endeavor. The volunteers will be credited with the results.

If you decide to participate, choose a random play session of any length and on any level you like before you start logging. Please don't just start logging when you get a Legendary to show everyone how lucky you are. It'll skew the data and make it useless for anyone. Of course, knowing randomness you might still well get three Legendaries in a session... Good hunting, everyone!

10. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

I'll play the Defense of Woodhome (Level 6) (First two maps)

First 100 items so far -

Level 3: 3
    Level 4: 2
    Level 5: 26
    Level 6: 48
    Level 7: 18
    Level 8: 2
    Level 9: 2

Common: 75
    Uncommon: 20
    Rare: 4
    Epic: 1 (Rockshard Robes)
    Legendary: 0

Edit: Format changed to the one by Jarmo, fits better.

Edit: The +/-3 is not impossible, so that's one commonly misunderstood thing debunked. Odds are likely not good on them though and (so far) a trend towards level specific to slightly less looks slightly accurate.

EditEdit: First 100 items done. The results are pretty similar to others so far. Items are also overwhelmingly bad so far, I wouldn't recommend grinding this level so far.

11. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

I like the initiative so I've made a spreadsheet which you might find useful. Make your own copy to use it.

I'll start putting data for MP and probably some lvl 18 grind. Let you know when I get more data points. Feel free to advise changes to the spreadsheet.

12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks, Andrew!

I've been thinking about my loot results and looking at the numbers.It seems clear there is some heavy level-dependent weighting going on. You're more likely to receive items of the same level the adventure is and the levels next to it, in descending order of likelihood the further away you get from the nominal level. It also seems to strongly slant towards the lower side.

Based on this the best level to farm Legendary Treasures is level 2 (you can't farm level 1 adventures the same way, they have fixed rewards afaik). It should be best because it picks most level 1 items without picking up much dross from other levels.

Level 5 has the single best ratio of treasure/other for both Legendary and Epic items but the loot drops would include more level 6 and 7 items which have no treasure. Level 2 should focus the Legendary and Epic drops mostly to the level 1 items which also have a high ratio of treasure.

Level 5 is still a good farming spot as it offers a lot of useful other items from the nominal and near levels together with the plentiful level 5 treasure.

That's my current theory, anyway, pending further data.

13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks, Piotras, looks good to me!

14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

It seems to me my data does not support that theory. If it were true, the very large pool of level 6 items, clearly included in the spread at level 3, would completely overshadow the items of other levels at least for Epics and Legendaries. The data so far does not show this but instead supports strict level weighting across rarities. We need more data points to say for sure but for now this is my thinking.

15. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I'd like to help with this. I'll see if I can do it for a module tonight. Since I'm currently looking to get lvl 12 items I'll do this for one of the goblin ones.

16. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

just to be clear, we're just re-running a single map of an adventure over and over to get a lot of data points without completing the adventure, right? There are two reasons I ask. First, picking the adventure I do it on will depend on my ability to quickly beat map 1, and my build is definitely more efficient at that for certain dungeons. Second, I'd be a little concerned that we aren't getting enough data from the final maps of each adventure we test. I'm fairly convinced that that last chest has just a slightly better chance of dropping rarer stuff for me when I beat it. Doing only the first map a lot on repeat would be a bit like skipping out on recording a dungeon's boss loot contribution... but then if we're doing this for the sake of farming as quickly as possible, maybe that would be a stupid thing to do anyway, since then the dungeon would be closed to me until tomorrow.
    TL;DR, we're just spam running single maps because the plan is also to find efficient farming techniques, right?

17. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Well, imho without too much actual data, probably fastest way to grind for money is to finish handfull of fast adventures each day and then go farming single adventure. Probably as many adventures as you can save fast & reliable loadouts.

But actual data from "normal" chests is very good thing to have. And while at it, getting treasure/item amounts might be nice. Based on Jons comment, actual number of available items might not effect probability.

18. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Yeah, it goes without saying that the lower level dungeons can be smashed the fastest, but I think we're solving more than one mystery here while also trying to discover the best paths to efficiency, be it gold or simply how the level weightings work. We're all going to slap ourselves if a year down the road, we find out that one of these levels has a ten times greater chance of dropping legendary treasures and we simply never discovered the pattern.

19. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Yeah, I volunteered to do the level I said because I'd like to see if it corroborates the loot item level spread and rarity rates we've seen from lower levels so far. Would it be safe to say that the final chest of an adventure wouldn't necessarily change the item level spread, but perhaps the rarity rate since an uncommon is guaranteed?

Plus, I want items from this level, so there's that. :) Might as well do some statistics with my gaming!

20. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The reason I've solely been banging on the first battle of an adventure is that it's the fastest way to get loot and data. It's not the best loot as you get no end-of-adventure 2 guaranteed uncommon item (3 if a club member) chests, just the basic brown common chests, but you can have as much of them as you like. You could hit the other battles of an adventure for variety, too (without completing the adventure to avoid the cooldown lock), but the ones I've tried have been slower to finish than the first battle.

For loot data purposes, it doesn't matter how you gather it, just that it's known where it came from. Different chests need to be separated to make more sense of the data but all of it is useful. If anyone decides to join in the logging fun, feel free to get data whichever way you like. This should not be a job for anyone else than the devs :).

I played the level 16 adventure "Temple of Terror" battle 1 "Beneath the Temple" 33 1/3 times. The loot data is below. As the amounts are out of a hundred they double as percentages.
    Code:
    Lev Com Unc Rar Epi Leg Tot
    013 007 000 001 000 000 008
    014 002 000 000 000 000 002
    015 039 014 001 001 000 055
    016 005 002 001 000 000 008
    017 017 000 001 000 000 018
    018 007 002 000 000 000 009
    Tot 077 018 004 001 000 100

This looks nothing like the level 3 adventure loot data. The number of items is only one third of the level 3 ones so there's a greater margin of error here but the general trend seems clear. The weightings are not uniform between all adventures. Looks like we'll need a lot more data to create a workable theory.

The most anomalous thing here is the miniscule ratio of level 16 items from a level 16 adventure. How about that, huh.