What is the most useless class in any RPG?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DukeMyers, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Out of any RPG you have ever played, what is the most useless class? For me it was the blue Mage in FFV. You had to be attacked by specific spells/abilities before you could use them? Ugh.

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Blue mages in general tend to be bad. Probably paladin in the game of games. Its a game where you race each other through a dungeon but only one can win and all you can do is cure other people...

3. steamblader

steamblader Kobold

Huh? The Blue Mage class in FFV was one of its most useful iterations, if I remember right. It was the only caster class that could learn wind-based spells, along with some other pretty fun stuff. The Blue Mage in FFTA for example was not bad, but worse than in FFV. Staying within the franchise and the topic, I'd go for the thief in the original Final Fantasy, because, well, it couldn't even steal.

4. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Any RPG open on this one. I think another option was a decker in Shadowrun. If your GM wasn't good they got kinda nerfed for most of the game. My GM was always all about combat. :p

5. Fizbin

Fizbin Mushroom Warrior

What comes to my mind at the moment is Tourist in Elona. As if the game isn't trying to beat you down enough, you can go with a snail for some great masochistic fun.

6. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

Novice class in Ragnarok Online

Especially when it's your first character and going to be a mage (1 Str)

You can barely win against anything with the starting weapon, so either you get lucky and find some rare item to sell and get yourself a better newbie weapon, or you'll be spending A LOT of time poking at those targets that can't retaliate for exp.

(if not though, between Novice-only gear, possible items passed down another character like a upgraded, no lvl required low level weapon, you can actually have similar leveling rate with the melee-focus novice since those weapons cover a large amount of your damage early on)

For those who have never played RO, this is what the novice get as they level up in their class (in no particular order):
    Sit (increased regen while sitting, getting hit will make you stand up)
    Emote (YES IT REQUIRE LEVELING TO UNLOCK EMOTICONS)
    Making Party
    Join party (it's on a different level than making it)
    Using Kafra storage service (which is an account storage)
    Making Chatroom
    Trading with other characters
    Enable the quest to become 1st class (last level of novice job)

7. Katalizator

Katalizator Kobold

I love Ragnarok Online and i don't get what so useless about novice? You could even become Super Novice. =))) And btw novice can Play Dead. =)

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Did you ever play the real game or just pirate servers?

9. Katalizator

Katalizator Kobold

Both. 98 - 99 in 6 month and 1 - 999 in two days. =))

10. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

I've never tried ragnarok online. There are very few mmorpg's that I like. My issue with most is the monthly fee. I've already paid $60+ to start now you want more every month? Seems greedy to me.

11. Fizbin

Fizbin Mushroom Warrior

I had been thinking of something along the lines of Novice as well at first, but that was before (as Katalizator mentioned) they added the Super Novice class. Now it sort-of holds it's own weight if you are really patient, so I didn't think it really would work.

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Supernovice is its own class so i don't feel its fair to use that.

13. Hexyz

Hexyz Mushroom Warrior

Bard, unless it has some bad ass party support skills, they're terrible.

14. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Depends. In D&D 3.5 with the right feats bards can kick ass. Subvocal casting, charm skills, knowledges.

15. Hexyz

Hexyz Mushroom Warrior

Oh, I agree. That's why I said, "unless it has some bad ass party support skills," haha. But yeah, Bard can be okay sometimes, that's for sure. If it were up to me and I had a choice between a Bard and some other class like Black Mage/White Mage/Red Mage, Ninja, Thief, Warrior, Paladin, Berserker, or whatever else I can think of.. I may go with any other class before the Bard.

16. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Summoner in Pathfinder (D&D style game). Not that it's useless, but when every GM bans the class for being overpowered and even the devs come out to say it's overtuned, it may as well be useless as you can't ever play it.

17. Hexyz

Hexyz Mushroom Warrior

See, I always thought that a Summoner, despite whatever game it appears in, would be amazing. In D&D, all you have to do is, I guess, limit what they can do. Say, instead of being able to summon "Ifrit" or something, then maybe just a dog that can help in battle. Y'know?

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Summoners exist in 4th edition as a sub class of wizard

19. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Yeah but 4th edition was terrible all around. At least it looks like 5th edition has some stuff fixed.

20. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

5th edition is vastly simplified over 4th edition, but i dont know that =P