What do you want to know more about?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jon, Aug 17, 2011.

?

What part of the game do you want to know more about?

1. The card/board battles.

83 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Adventuring and character growth.

144 vote(s)
    52.7%
  3. The art style and direction.

35 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Game technology and programming.

49 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Multi-player.

89 vote(s)
    32.6%
  6. The Card Hunter world and characters.

74 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Deck building.

90 vote(s)
    33.0%
  8. Competitive multi-player.

59 vote(s)
    21.6%
  9. Something else (post in the thread with details).

13 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. The monsters!

65 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I want to tell you all more about co-op multiplayer but we haven't even started working on it yet. I think I've said elsewhere that it probably won't be in the initial release of the game, but rather something we look at post-release. I could talk about our ideas for how it would work I guess.

2. FreakGlista

FreakGlista Kobold

If there won't be co-op multiplayer, then you can shoot me right now.

3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Dont shoot it down wholly yet, we havnt even seen how it plays out yet to see if it can stand on its own without it initially.

4. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

[​IMG]

I would really like to learn more about the game "beyond the cards." We have seen info on attacks, deck building, dungeon modules, etc. -- the part of the game where we play our cards and have adventures. What about the world surrounding the dungeons? If this is part of the map, how do we move around the map?

At the moment, it almost sounds as if there is no space designed other than the combat arenas. (Which is fine! Walking back and forth just to talk to people is overrated.) Then, given the emphasis on solo play, is there no interaction between players beyond chat channels and the PvP arena? Or am I underestimating your vision and there is a persistent world in which the quest modules are instanced dungeons? So I can come back triumphant over the Sea Hags only to face someone demanding a duel for my new loot right in the street? (Heh, PvP street duels would be awesome. "You'll meet me in fronta the saloon at high noon or you'll be a yeller-bellied coward the resta yer days.")

P.S. If you challenge me, Beware! I always keep plenty of this card in my deck:
    [​IMG]

5. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

All good things come to those who wait, mightymushroom... :D

6. Pugs

Pugs Mushroom Warrior

Any plans for providing tools for player generated modules/adventures?

7. Jon

8. Gobble

Gobble Kobold

does anyone know of any links/posts on how to actually play the game? Or is all that still being determined?
    Oh, and hi all. Excited to see the release of this.

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The basics are here:

http://www.cardhunter.com/2011/08/dev-diary-2-the-game/

But when I say "the basics," a whole bunch of the remaining "basics" are spread out over the remainder of the development diaries. And card preview posts, for that matter, since a lot has to do with how to read the cards.

I could summarize it all by saying things like "and there are card suites, and there are reaction cards, and there are card colors, and there are revealed cards" and so on, but that's equivalent to just listing the blog posts.

10. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Don't forget the wild and rampant speculation threads!

11. Jon

I should probably try to go through the diaries and summarise all the info on the game info page.

12. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I thought about throwing together a wiki page, but didn't know if we had enough to go on just yet.

13. Sir Knight

Who needs a wiki when you have blog powerrrrrrr?

(I don't know where I got that.)

14. Where is the "all of the above" option?

15. Pugs

Pugs Mushroom Warrior

I would like to see a preview of the "Lava Pool" card please. :) I went back and re-read the PC PowerPlay article and in the screenshots there I can see a human mage with lava pool ready to cast. It's using out of date graphics I think, but if that card is ready for public viewing/discussion, being able to create zones on the battle board would be an interesting mechanic to know more about.

16. Jon

Yep, we should do a diary on terrain soon.

17. mightymushroom

Is there a Diary(-ies) planned covering multiplayer? It seems to differ from the single player game in several respects. I know the Blue Manchu Crew is working hard on the single player experience, but I hope there's a good multiplayer experience as well. Plus talking about PvP could be a good lead-in or supplement to explain stuff you discovered while playing, as with the diaries about Reactions. Speaking for myself, of course I want to read blogs about rules and features, but the "Making of Card Hunter" parts are pretty interesting, too.
    • Can we use any of our characters, items, and skills? Including those currently "on assignment" in single-player?
    • Giving equivalent health and removing item restrictions sounds like a good boon for low-level characters to be competitively useful. It also sounds like it encourages experimenting with that new equipment you just picked up to see whether you want to keep it or not.
    • Though, the player who has a better selection of loot still has the apparent advantage. What systems will help to get people into competitve matches? Player rankings? Deck restrictions that are not level-based?
    • We've seen one PvP arena in Farbs's Well. It's probably a bit, um, exceptional. How many maps are being planned? What size? Open vs. small rooms? What variety of hazards? Customizing our decks for terrain is part of the game -- is there a random, "prepare for anything" choice?

18. Sir Knight

So far, a point system for competitive play seems to be a possibility.
    If I might note: no one said that it was a "PvP arena." All the playtesting that the developers described so far included a player running the heroes and a player running the monsters, so the 3 vs. 3 "well" was probably just 3 heroes vs. 3 enemies (as was SurgeonFish's example at the time).

19. mightymushroom

I refer you to the Tweet:

20. Sir Knight

It would appear Farbs said that it was a PvP arena. This is one more person than "no one," I acknowledge. But the real question is: how many people need to say it before it's TRUE, HUH?