What card can destroy Adaptable for warrior/priest?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by dashv520, Aug 6, 2015.

1. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

I just have a game against haesslicherbob.
    His warrior draw a Adaptable armor.
    Are there any cards for warrior or priest to destroy it?
    I tried to use Sundering Strike but failed.
    For sure, I did use purge to remove the trait once but they come back next round ...
    I was using a warrior/priest build and I was told that there are no cards in my deck that can destroy adaptable.
    Seriously is it true???

2. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

3. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

Xayrn likes this.
  4. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Use different types of attacks and rotate between them? I haven't had much issues with getting around Adoptable in the campaign, although I would imagine that my fire wizard would have some issues in multiplayer.

5. High-risk: have your priest cast "Savage Curse" on the enemy. Every time he attacks, he does 4 more damage (which isn't necessarily huge if you're running cushioning armor, say...) but discards his oldest card.

DunDunDun likes this.
  6. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Too bad Wavering Faith isn't anymore in priests arsenal.

Also, shouldn't penetrating attacks go through adaptable without triggering its effect? (it is an armor card after all)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Fortaleza and doog37 like this.
  7. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Nope, once they have adaptable to piercing the damage is reduced to zero.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Penetrating keyword explicitly states that it doesn't work against Immunity, I think.

9. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

Adaptable doesn't have the armor keyword so penetrating has no effect.

doog37 likes this.
  10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Penetrating only bypasses armor's damage reduction, it does not ignore other armor effects. This is why someone with Sparkling Cloth Armor still gets to move if hit with a penetrating attack.

Pawndawan and HD23 like this.
  11. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think it's way more confusing and complicated than that.

Sparkling Cloth Armor: is an hybrid Armor-Boost card, so one might be led to think that's why the movement gets proc-ed?

Cushioning Armor: while its effect is a form of damage reduction (in a way), it still is very different from how other armors usually behave. And penetrating attacks do work against it.

Toughness: penetrating attacks do not work against that, but that's because the armor effect specifically is an immunity (which penetrating specifically isn't able to bypass, as stated in the tooltip description), so in this case is not really about how penetrating attacks interact with effects other than damage reduction. Furthermore, I think I recall a conversation with someone on the dev team (@Jon?) stating how penetrating attacks bypassing Thoughness would probably be for the better.

These are just the ones I can think on a whim, pretty sure other edge-cases could be brought up. In fact, this also very much contributes to making people not really want to relay on penetrating attacks (with a few exceptions in Impaling Stab and, more recently, Laser Thrust).

In all honesty, I think it'd be completely fair if penetrating attacks bypassed the special effect of Adaptable.

TL;DR; the possible interactions between penetrating attacks and different armor cards are all over the place, not very consistent and often pretty confusing, especially to newer players. Clearly an area which might help some additional design work.

dashv520 and j3st3ri like this.
  12. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Well, duh. You really think I'm talking about traits? I'm talking about the Adaptable cards effect, that triggers those traits.

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yes except dual type cards are not one type at one time, and the other type at another time, they are both types all the time. So while SCA may have the boost type due to its secondary effect, that secondary effect doesn't cease to be part of an armor card.

I will grant you that the current wording of penetrating does sound like it should bypass all effects on an armor card, except of course immunity which is explicitly identified as not avoided by penetrating.

14. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I think the way to deal with it for non-wizards is to use rotating damage types and/or attachment control.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The Adaptable card is effectively a Boost card that we made into an Armor just so that there would be a bit more counterplay (Dissolve Armor, etc)—but designwise it should totally be a Boost. FWIW. >_>

karadoc likes this.
  16. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

It does not work, I tried it with Frenzy Aura. ;)
    The only thing surprised me is that Sundering Strike could not discard the adaptable, even its effect was activated.
    Otherwise I would save the purging burst for the next round.

17. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

No ... I don't think it's an viable option.
    there are only three common attack types for melee items. (slashing, piercing, crushing)
    There is not an easy way to put them all into the deck, and you also need draw each of the them with different types at the same time.

18. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

There are also Laser.

And all your problems would go away if you run a radioactive priest. ;)

19. doog37

doog37 Hydra

If any damage from this Attack would be prevented by armor, that armor instead has no effect and is discarded. Since no damage from the Sundering gets prevented, the secondary discard is not triggered.
    I am not a huge fan of adaptable, but it is something that can be worked around. You asked for a solution, got one (flametouched) and rejected it. I would agree the mechanism of Adaptable make it difficult, but it is not an OP game changer.

The last thing to consider is purging strike. I know it is low damage, regardless not sure if the damage or the effect takes place first (and it would only matter for crushing immunity) and it is on 4 of the eetsc weapons (as well as divine weapons and an d. armor).

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Effect before damage (that's why Purging gets through Nimbus, for instance.)