What can we do to make this game more popular?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by SirSrsly, Mar 25, 2015.

1. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I'm personally looking forward to the steam release of Card Hunter so that I can stop using flash. The flash version of the game has to download every time on my main computer - which is slow and a bit annoying (and I don't really want to stuff around with it to work out why that happens). Also, I generally prefer to have my games be in their own space separate from my web browser and other programs. As for flash, I'm sick of Adobe trying to install McAfee anti-virus software along with flash updates.

... So I'm looking forward to the Steam release - which I presume will launch separately from my web browser, and won't have to re-download every time I play, and won't try to bug my to install other crumby bits of software (aside from Steam itself).

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Ironically enough, the Steam client is going to be a wrapper around the usual Flash app. This is the case for tons of other Steam games as well.

But otherwise, yeah, it will live in its own space/sandbox and won't require being downloaded every time you launch it.

3. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Use chrome and it shouldn't take so long to load after your first session. Also you won't be promoted to install stuff. Firefox did something to their caching behaviour a while ago which now forces a full reload of Card Hunter. Bleh.

4. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I do like how Chrome comes bundled with flash, so that I don't have to deal with Adobe directly... But I don't want to use Chrome. I stopped using Chrome a long time ago because I felt that Google was trying to use Chrome to push me into their other services (and use their other services to push me into using Chrome). I don't like being manipulated like that; and Google already plays a bigger role in my life than I'd like. I'd sooner use I.E. than Chrome. (I think the newer versions of I.E. have flash bundled into them as well.)

5. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

Try Opera?

6. doog37

doog37 Hydra

whatever you feel about Google Chrome is the most reliable browser right now. No browser is perfect, but that will always be the case since the internet will never be 100% error free...
    I just want to say I don't think Flash is a dying dinosaur that shouldn't be used. I just think more people have stopped getting desktop/laptop computers in favor of more tablet and phone based browsing. I have a friend who would love this game, but he literally has nothing to play it on.

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I've been using SRWare Iron with good results. It's basically Chrome without so much privacy invasion.

Bandreus likes this.
  8. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I've been trying to persuade my friends to play Cardhunter, but they're either not intrested in turn based strategies (which is bad) or playing Hearthstone (somehow even worse). I'll tell you all when I find someone that will play, hope they'll be good at it!

CT5, Flaxative and Bandreus like this.
  9. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I've played Hearthstone, only due to being able to play on my tablet and it seems like Magic for beginners. Anyone who really likes Hearthstone, would likely be frustrated at the complexity of CH. Granted I am sure there are levels of complexity I haven't experienced yet, but it is quite a leap in terms of level of complexity and when you consider games like Candy Crush and 2048 are popular the desire for complexity is lacking in the average mobile gamer.

10. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Complexity isn't necessarily a good thing. A game with super easy rules can be very interesting too (take gomoku for example).
    Also the lack of things to do in SP can't be the main factor because Hearthstone had (maybe still has, idk) a lot less to do in SP than there is in CH, but it still was a lot more popular game.
    It's not easy to get friends to play it but I can suggest 2 things:
    1. Play lots of MP in CH.
    2. Don't be ashamed that you play CH. If someone asks what you're playing, tell them.

Bandreus likes this.
  11. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Just case in point... flash is very much an issue due to its poor support on mobile devices where a lot of the gaming takes place now.

Hearthstone has blizzard entertainment behind them. It's easier to market when you are a big company with a huge established fan base.

Bandreus and Flaxative like this.
  12. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

And gazillion dollars to dump on a marketing budget.

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

And a huge active staff to make sure bug fixes and new features get rolled out on an optimal schedule... :rolleyes:

p.s. sorry guys

14. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

And an established, wildly popular IP and pre-existing user base and...

15. Dingding123

Dingding123 Orc Soldier

Making each and every single card as fun as possible, for all players involved. The quality of the game in a long-term aspect completely hinges on the game being consistently fun to play.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  16. doog37

doog37 Hydra

You mean that there are too many meh cards and WAY too many forgettable items?
    I would have no issues removing 25% of the cards and 40% of the items. I think meta data exists to the point that BM could ID the 10% of cards that are used the least across MP and SP and just replace with more popular similar cards. Of course some cards are likely unpopular due to not being on good items (e.g. Acid Jet) but it would be an interesting exercise. I know everyone will struggle without cards like pen. zap and leather harness.

Dingding123 likes this.
  17. Accent

Accent Hydra

You can have my Yaro's Scepter and Blasting Amulet when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!

(Man, Penetrating Zap is on some crappy items)

Dingding123 and Flaxative like this.
  18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

True, but it fits pretty well on the two you mentioned.

19. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Answer me this, have you ever said "Great I FINALLY drew my Penetrating Zap/Leather Harness!" while playing.
    I understand the desire for a penetrating card for low level, but range 3 crappy and for a measly 2 point of damage well it makes good fodder for Leadership or Savage Curse.
    I like Yaro's Scepter (I liked it more when FS and SPR pre-balance) and I like blasting amulet but I like them despite Pen zap. I would be happier with a Force Bolt, Maze or even a Spark for the same "cost" (Paper, Common). I know, I know there is not enough variety at low quality and rarity to eliminate Pen Zap and I know for the early levels facing the stupid armored Trogs it can come in handy, but it is soooooo lame even with the extra 1 range over the other zaps.

Leather Harness on the other hand is my least favorite Rare card and that includes Mind Worm and Twin Heal. It definitely need a buff, I would reduce the roll to 3+ or 2+ so it is at least comparable to Reliable Hide Armor.

20. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Some cards and items are meant to be not-that-great, or even just-bad. Regardless, discussing which cards/items are bad has very little to do with the topic at hand.

I don't think what @Dingding123 posted was meant to turn this into a "why do most cards/items suck?" thread.