Website Outage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by admin, Aug 5, 2011.

1. admin

admin Blue Manchu Staff Member

Tycho from Penny Arcade was nice enough to tweet about Card Hunter earlier today. The influx of people to our website brought the whole thing crashing down. So, if you weren't able to connect that's the reason why.

We'll be looking into making cardhunter.com more robust. Later today we'll probably reboot and be out for about an hour while we get more memory for the server.

Over the next few weeks we'll try to set things up so that we can handle high loads better so there may be some other intermittent outages.

Thanks for your understanding.

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

It's hell being popular! :D

3. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

Ahhh figures why i couldn't check the website ^^

4. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

Oh so that's what happened!

5. Sansin

Sansin Kobold

Outstanding news!!! The coverage, not the outage!

6. Higginjoe

Higginjoe Kobold

Gratz, Card Hunter. You've just been Tycho'd. Now you know how Minecraft feels.

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Am I correct that "the Slashdot effect" was the first name given to such an occurrence? Just wait until somebody on Slashdot mentions the game, then weep for your server.

8. Higginjoe

Higginjoe Kobold

To be honest, I'm surprised it didn't happen when Kotaku mentioned the game. I guess since it was about cards and role-playing, there wasn't as big a rush as if it'd been about, say, boobs or hot girls cosplaying.

9. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Thats why the front page of any website needs to say "If 18 click yes" with a naked girl holding the sign while hiding her naked bits behind it while winking. Gets people excited for the ultimate disappointment, shes never mentioned again and all you see is a silly card game in the making =P