Warriors vs Wizards

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Oberon, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Nirvana

Nirvana Mushroom Warrior

I'm not against warriors being more diverse but they would need to give up something else for the added flexibility. Right now they already have the best hp, the best armors, best step cards and the highest damage cards in game, as well as access to team commands through some helms.

Wizards at least pay for their flexibility by having the worst hp of all classes and crappy step cards reducing their movement potential.

2. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Personally I think it's because there's only one type of warrior: a DPS warrior. There is no tank warrior. The highest armor cards block for 4, yet the highest attack cards hit for 17. Thus the only way people play warriors is as a one-trick pony - hope you get some good attack cards so if you can ever close the distance you can one-shot their wizard.

The alternative to a DPS warrior would be a warrior with weaker attacks but stronger armor allowing him to absorb attacks for his allies.

Masayuki and Colliwinks like this.
  3. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

But there is. They are not viable except in extreme situations, but options are there. You can sacrifice over half of your attacks for blocks. You can put in quite a few Barges. These are radically different builds from normal damage warrior. Not as powerfull and not that usefull, but they exist.

Edit: And various damage builds work quite differently. Shouldn't overlook different options there.

ram likes this.
  4. Colliwinks

Colliwinks Kobold

A nice alternative would be something more akin to a DnD 4th Ed defender:
    • Attacks which block or punish movement of adjacent enemies
    • Reactions to adjacent enemies attacking other characters
    • Give armour/blocks to adjacent / nearby allies (Some of these cards exist)

5. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Some of these things are coming, they're just not in the card set yet.

Essence and Forlorn like this.
  6. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Care to give us any teasers? ;)

7. The thing is any semblance of utility Warriors can have, Wizards have it tenfold, that's how it should be. Warriors have high health and even some interesting choices from their Martial skills (I would use Savvy Attacker if i had one, for instance). Thing is, the other classes usually do the other things you might want to do with Warriors other than one shot people. Wizards are better at the bashing and barging job since they can do it from afar and have cards like WoW, and Priests are better at the midrange, balanced damage job like cards with Tricky Stabs and Drain attacks (As well as Mass Frenzy and other useful stuff), they also have shields to tank a little. Warriors have heavier armor and their helms give them quite of utility, (although the lack of many good, common non-token helms does hinder you a little), but their weapons don't tend to have their kind of variety as the other two classes, where Wizards have completely different kinds of spell-casting and Priests have variance on the balance between Support and Attack skills, Warriors feel the more bland having to choose between Steps, Bashes, Stabs, and variable amounts of damage.

I personally like my warriors balanced, having useful attacks all around (a Polished Plancon does provide an O.Bludgeon, though), but i see the issue is that Warriors can't help their team as much unless you build them around it, while the other class usually do so by default. Warriors are also the easiest class to counter (Encumbers, Parries), but also the most devastating class if not contested since they have the highest raw damage, so their effectiveness is of high variance, and they WILL need help from their team against a well prepared defense. You are better off having a nuclear warhead, Obliterating Warrior if you want them to be your main force and you can support them with Warriors and Priests, but when relying on multiple warriors or a more flexible strategy, you'll want to have a more regular, mobile build with steps and stabs, or like anything in this game, you can experiment with builds until you come up with something that can suit your specific needs. One of my favorite warrior builds is the "Back Off!" kind of warrior i had. Being an elf with Slippery, 2 Rotting Clubs and Weakling Helm, Zackary's Boots for the Violent Spins and other defensive, annoying goodies, she stays relevant by being an enormous wall with her armors and blocks while still being mobile enough to knock off anything that i don't want in its current position. Warriors have their tricks

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the card set is still at its core-est, so exotic designs are still in the wings. I know cards that were cut from the game like Reactive Trip are going to be more fit for rogues too, but Warriors still have plenty of design space to go. The fact that a card as simple as Lunging Bash can do so much in the hands of an able warrior proves that we aren't anywhere close to being done with our tankiest fellows here.

Of course, until they get some sort of Chilling Stab, people will complain that Frost Jolt is unbalanced

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

9. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Nice card. But the attack seems too lacking in utility compared to it's passive. How about, if you successfully hit someone with the attack, it removes one move card from the opponents hand? That way it can either be used proactively or retroactively and gives any warrior with that card a lot more utility.

10. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Warriors could also be given encumber style attacks too. "Crippling blow" = breaks a leg causing an encumber of 1 for 2 turns or something like that.

11. Essence

Essence Orc Soldier

The one thing that Warriors could do more of is Stun. Anvil Strike is lonely.

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

They have encumber attacks that they are just few and far between mainly on spear and glaive style weapons

13. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

They could perhaps add it to a chop trait. Something like a trait that gives +1 to chop and +1 encumber per hit.

14. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Which? I've seen some interesting attacks in campaign, but I've not seen anything like that on the weapons. All I can think of is Icy Block .

15. winner

winner Orc Soldier

For warriors they do much more dmg than a wizard because wizards don't do that much damage. Warriors dmg pulverizing hack + all out attack kills a wizard. That's on my warrior perspective. But for wizards they do slow down the Warriors who hit them. So I personally think warriors are better. Thanks Winner