Vampire Evolution

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Flaxative, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

So a long, long time ago, there was a thread about vampire priests. I'd been running one since a bit before the thread, and I've been fine-tuning my way up the ranks for the last couple months. I don't think my build is Top 20 worthy or anything, but I'm well in the Top 200. The party has a pretty good matchup against Triple Dwarf Control (3DC), and packs enough control to deal with the less impressive draws of a more aggro party, so I figured I would share it. I am down to improve it, so suggestions are welcome. For a while I didn't want to post it because I never encounter the mirror and I like feeling special—"hey, it's my build!"—but that's dumb and doesn't help the meta. So here. we. go!

Dink Smallwood
    Level 20 Human Priest

Dink's a frenzybot who tries to abuse Altruism. He could pack more Mass Frenzies if I had the gear, but 4/29 cards isn't that bad, and the main reason it's not a better ratio (5/28 with another Shuddering Relic) is that Nimbus is such a high-impact card in the current format.* I'd been running a Shielding Token (more attacks is more better when you've got frenzies), but I switched to the medallion because while healing blessing is an overvalued card it does push off attachments, and it triggers Altruism.

*Nimbus is a lot better now than it was before the draw deck nerfs. There're a lot fewer people running priests, which has a two-pronged effect:
    1) Fewer people playing nimbus, which in addition to making nimbus better thanks to its scarcity actually feeds the second point,
    2) Fewer people have deck slots for purge.

Earmuff
    Level 20 Elf Priest

Earmuff, thusly named thanks to his unused power token, is my vampire priest. He's built for draining and he does a lot of it: 18 out of his effective 28 cards are attacks, and 14 of those are drains. Could get it higher with Hand of Melvelous instead of Shielding Token (up to 16 drains), but as I explained above Nimbus is huge. Black Iron boots do the two things you want boots to do in the current environment: stop Winds of War, and stop Winds of War. Immovable is one of the best traits in the current meta. I'd switch the boots for Sticky Slippers (more Immovable!) but Quick Run is basically a bomb for an aggro-combo party member like Earmuff. He gets in and can start draining (with Talented Healer cantrips) without giving the opponent a chase to respond. Slippery is similar; I've won games on Woodhome Blizzard just by getting Slippery and Nimbus on Earmuff, dashing onto the victory square, and sliding off before Nimbus expires. You can rinse and repeat twice!

Judas
    Level 19 Dwarf Wizard

Judas is the original trait-cycling wizard. My story is that I was squeeing over Electroporter Novice and Robes of Lightness in the "hidden gems" thread before 3DC was ever posted about, and I'm sticking to it. He's changed a bit over the months to include a bit more damage, a few more gimmicks, and fewer Winds of War, but the idea is the same: high impact cards and lots of traits. Until today I was running Untrained Stoutness for maximum traits, but when I swapped Xander's Boots for Sticky Slippers I decided I needed to spend a major power token on my racial. Perfect Toughness is the popular choice, but rusty mail is a dead card, so I opted for Solid Rock. Parry's fantastic against any party that isn't 3DC, and we keep one Immovable.

Anyway, this is my PvP party. I stick to the vampire because I have a thing called loyalty. :)

Looking forward to the discussion!

2. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Excellent explanations as to why they're set up the way they are. Good food for thought.

I think it's interesting that we're not seeing any Dwarven Cry in the pvp decks that people are posting. I'm running dwarves at least in part to "block" that card. Maybe that's not a valid reason, really. Is the rationale that the traits are just better?

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I only have one dwarf, so dwarven cry is pretty bad in my party. Is that enough rationale? :)

4. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

I remember that thread... I get accused of copying the 3DC build even though I've run a vastly inferior example of it since beta. I'm too dead-set on including resistant hides and firestorm...

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Bearson Onyx

Bearson Onyx Goblin Champion

Very nice and well explained, one thing you may have considered already that I think should work better.
    Dink's armor. I fully understand wanting to utilize the altruism as much as possible, and the two minor heals accomplish that but that card is very weak, if I were you I'd consider changing to Mail Of Righteous Anger.
    Has two holy spells which are far better than healing 2 hp imo especially when using life drain, you already get the minor heal effect (+2hp) on the first attack, if used in a round where earmuff has 3 or 4 attacks and u happen to also draw mass frenzy it's party time... oh, and it's an attachment which you already know the benefits of.
    The armor part is inferior in my opinion, Thick Hide Armor is very nice and has some flexibility but it's still worth the switch I think.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, I've considered it (in fact, I've run that armor before).

I like the attachment nature (you were right!) of Righteous Frenzy. The problem with it is:
    • It never helps Dink. Minor heal can help him in a tight spot.
    • It barely helps Judas (before, it could push off Trip and Fright but those are no longer in my deck).

And yes, Thick Hide is way better than Spiked Mail I think.

I'm torn! What I really want is Mail Of Succor... but I don't know where to find the token for it.

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  7. Janrok

Janrok Kobold

Ever tried a build with like, 2 vampires and 1 support? I've been toying around with it but it's hard when you don't get decent draws :/

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah I have. I found it wasn't consistent enough. The wizard is so helpful...

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Finally hit 1500 with this build, never playing ranked again.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I actually modified my comp a bit ago. Dink's the only one whose items have changed, so I'll just post him. Running Crafted Mail at SLG's suggestion. Bought a Bleneth's Skull recently, swapped that in for a Shuddering Relic. Meant I had to downgrade my Medallion of St. Vigus back to a Shielding Token, and had to make a choice in order to free up a minor token—Focused Piety + Possessed Shoes, or Novice Piety + Sticky Slippers? I went with the latter in the end, basically because I think Immovable is actually more important than Altruism for this build in the current meta.

Dink Smallwood
    Level 20 Human Priest

1 x Barge
    1 x Vulnerable
    2 x Altruism
    2 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Wild Run
    3 x Minor Heal
    1 x Fright
    2 x Immovable
    1 x Run, Team!
    2 x Stab

1502, by the way. Haven't actually quit PvP.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've got a new build I'm running, with Earmuffs and Dink Smallwood and a human warrior. Dink is basically unchanged; Earmuffs is, if anything, a yet more dedicated vampire. I'm going back into the consistency well because I'm insane. The warrior uses step attacks and team mobility to finish enemies and support the team, respectively. I'll post deck lists later, possibly in a separate thread since it's a pretty different build now overall, despite two thirds of it looking familiar. Also, I'm waiting for the new content patch for a final upgrade to Earmuffs.

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  12. Kungfu Crab

Kungfu Crab Kobold

thanks a lot

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What's up?

14. Kungfu Crab

Kungfu Crab Kobold

Oh fine. Just thanks for your share :)

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Ah, cool :) You're more than welcome, though I really need to post the newer version of my build since it got me to 1630 and I don't think this would have.

16. Kungfu Crab

Kungfu Crab Kobold

oh that's nice. Im waiting to see your newer build :)

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader