Unused cards and mechanics

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by wavy, May 20, 2017.

1. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

As there seems to be a distinct lack of activity on the CH boards lately, perhaps it's time to try to provoke a discussion. How about cards and mechanics unavailable to players at the moment? Which cards do you think we could have access to without breaking things too much?
    It would be good so see the arguments for and against each one and maybe we could convince the devs that one or two could make it in...maybe another AA competition? I know we've had one AA where a new monster-only card was made available, but that was quite a while ago now.

So without further ado, I'll suggest two cards that I don't think are too OP (prepare to be convinced otherwise!)...the first is Mud Pit.

[​IMG]

Mud seems to be about the only terrain effect unavailable to players at the moment and I'm not sure why. The card itself does no damage and it has no start of round effects (unlike spiked/lava etc.); it just stops characters from blocking. Would be interested to hear other views as to whether Wizards should get access to this one - I'm pretty sure I'd use it somewhere in the PvE campaign.

The second is Morvin's Choking Bolt.

[​IMG]

Seems like a decent card for a Priest to pack - similar to Memory Loss but has a useful tweak and a bit of damage. Could be very powerful with Elvish Insight, so would probably be undercosted at Silver/Common. What do you think?

I should add that I only play SP, so can't comment on whether what I'm suggesting would be bad for MP.

Jaer likes this.
  2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

3. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

I know that the range is very long but the problem with reducing it would be that Morvin could be crippled in the Cockroaches mission (especially part 2). May be better to reduce the damage by 1 if it's considered too powerful. We have a couple of other range 10 attacks, so it isn't way more powerful than anything else we've got.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

But not on a Priest.
    I suggest changing it to Arcane and giving it to Wizards, as Staff only.

5. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

How about Bad For Them/Good For Us?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They're just a one-shot as they don't have the Keep keyword and are Gold/Rare, so may be fairly costed. What would you use them for?

6. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

They're definitely not fairly costed, they'd be Amethyst if players ever got access to them. Pairing them with a single-targeting bronze card would already be good (Entangle Roots the entire enemy team? Don't mind if I do.) but pairing them with Silver (Nimbus, Martyr, etc) or even Gold (Demonic Power, Unholy Wellspring, Greater Heal) cards would lead to absurd situations.

Similarly, cards like Contagion and Blooming Ground would also be extremely powerful since their effects are twice, thrice or even eight times as potent as the card they are paired with.

As for Mud Pool, its main appeal isn't so much preventing blocks as it is creating difficult terrain in a burst effect, it's likely the reason why we get to use Lava Pool but not Acid Pool, it's too good at making bottlenecks in too many types of maps.

7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I understand Maniafig's concern about terrible bottlenecks with acid pool and mud pit. On the other hand I rarely see people running terrain cleansing cards in mp besides cleansing ray. These types of burst difficult terrain would finally legitimize bringing lots of terrain removal.

8. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Exactly this! I immediately thought of every single card listed here, before I even read this. (And I'm very casual the past month). This isn't even mentioning using Battlefield Training to give it to a Wizard! O Spark, Mega Laser, even Freeze 3 dudes? Sure, let's go nuts!..... seriously though, never let this become possible.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Maybe there could be a card that just makes one square mud terrain.

People could run wizard/warrior teams. Put a mud terrain under an enemy before attacking with a warrior.

Jaer, SceoMyntan and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  10. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Bad For Them / Good For Us (and Blooming Ground -- we already have Contagion) could be beautiful for Legendary Caverns heroes, though! $:^ ]
    (...assuming those three aren't already there -- I pretty rarely play Caverns...)

Maniafig likes this.
  11. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I think the slime Legendary Elf Wizard gets a copy of Blooming Ground, but sadly no beacons or rad terrain to pair it with. Alas, who wouldn't want to drown those bosses in a 3x3 area of radiation? :p

As for unused mechanics, I think Swap has potential as a mechanic, though in a nerfed form. Limiting its range and only making it work an allies would make it a nice fit on Human Skills.

Redistribute could also work if i got a lower range and higher quality, as could a card like Time Snap as long as it's changed to only target one character and has a higher quality.

Vlamona and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

LOL!

check for Blocks...
    Pathfinding...
    Ancient Grudge...
    Bad For Them...

LOL!

13. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

About good for us Bad for us... they are talking about targetting... you can entangle root the entire team also if only 1 opponent's character i range 4? i think that all the target should be range 4... and so for demonic power that will need both allied to stay very close to priest... you will draw so many card but you will be vulnerable to a burst team :) but maybe should be even more restriction....of course it is a restriction to save a gold card for some turn even if after that you can copy 2 extra gold card with a single gold card... a good idea could be a dice roll so that you risk the effect will not trigger with the gold card but will trigger with any paper card you will play after :) reducing the effect to copy only a single gold card would make this card too weak... and there is a weakness in these 2 cards ! it is only good when a team has 3 character....when a team is reduced to 2 character there is no card advantage anymore... unless you use and emerald card to be copied by a gold there is no anymore a point in saving it in hand losing time.

about having 1 tiles for mud... i think that maybe some card should be supposed to be used to block victory square instead of blocking enemy team.... like flash flood.. what about a bronze card flash flood that occupy only a single square? or maybe a silver quality one that can last 4 round preventing opponent to take the square. it will be better than 2 flash flood since you don't risk opponent take the square at start round. maybe even a 3 round single square flash flood would be better for that...only map where a single squadre flash flood can be a problem are map where many team has fly so it won't change the game i think...