Turn Advantage

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Deepweed, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Tempo is a core concept in Cardhunter. It is important for you to be able to accomplish what you desire using the least number of cards possible, and in the the fastest way possible. Builds like tiwx's Direct Damage Leadership Wizards rely on your ability to destroy your opponent in a short window of time after a period of preparation. On the other hand, the standard Quick Run + All Out Attack combo as exemplified by macizo's 3 Elf Warrior build relies heavily on the turn advantage gained by Cantrip. This makes me wonder what other builds could make effective use of turn advantage. I thought maybe wizards have a great chance for a consistent turn advantage because of the availability of the Cantrip Flanking Move.

Build Idea: Heartripper Tempo
    I have an idea for a build that's quite different from anything I've seen before but I'm not entirely sure how to fill in the blanks with some items. I wonder if anyone has come across this idea before and I also would like some suggestions as to how this build idea could reach fruition. The concept is based on how Cantrip allows you get a turn advantage so that you can always place a high damage Punishing Bolt, whether at the start of the round or before the opponent could respond.

My first conception of the build was with two elf wizards and third supporting character. The core items on the elf wizards are:
    Heartripper
    Heartripper
    (4 Arcane Items)
    Lightfoot Robes
    Lt. Buckwell's Boots
    Clever Mobility
    Electroporter Novice
    with 2 minor tokens to spend on Arcane Items
    With six copies of Flanking Move and twelve copies of Punishing Bolt in deck, you will often be in a position where you can deal good damage and get away with it. Elven Maneuvers will fairly reliably draw a Flanking Move allowing safe escapes. The problem with this is that elf wizards have little health and thus it's extremely risky to run this especially if your opponent gets a momentary tempo advantage. Also, what would go to the Arcane Item slot? Copies of Illusory Barrier to alleviate the problems caused by opposing wizards? Control effects to keep enemies away? Also, what would the third character have? I considered Cantrip healing for maximum turn advantage but in the end it felt like I played cards quickly but didn't have enough cards to play.

Turning the elf wizard into a human will reduce the Flanking Move count by 1 and will disallow taking advantage of Elven Maneuvers, but will allow options such as Bloody Command. Turning the elf wizard into a dwarf will reduce the Flanking Move count by 2 but will result in a sturdier character. What do you think of these substitutions?

What should the supporting character be like? Would three copies of the same wizard be preferable?

Build Idea: Tempo Team
    Another idea I had was constructing a team of nonidentical characters who all have a method of abusing turn advantage and creating it. For instance, using an extra Flanking Move on a wizard at the end of a round could allow a nice Quick Run play or vampire Cantrip chain. What do you think I should try here? Is there a nice way to supplement this turn advantage-gaining deck with card advantage?

I would like everyone's ideas on turn advantage.

2. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

I am a big fan of Shrug It Off. A dwarf wiz can have 1 or 2 of those.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. I believe that it would be good for your arcane items to give you control of the board. Thus I'd add items with Flood, Telekinisis, Teleport Self and Gusts Of War. A good tokenless item for your deck is Sensate's Ring. You are barely affected by the curse since Punishing Bolt has 0 damage originally and it actually helps you draw faster. You could use Flood to help you either trap or keep away enemies depending on the circumstance. Or in a different approach, an item like Glowing Ring would add great mobility for just one token. For the characters you can have the Punisher, the Trapper and the Mover or all three be a mix of these. Hope I gave you some food for thought, I'm not really into multiplayer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  4. visak13

visak13 Ogre

I have been playing with 2 x Heartripper for a long time now and on a single wiz.

The best way to increase a punishing bolt damage is to trap an enemy with Elven Maneuvers or Martyr Blessing with the help of Oak Roots and then hit them with Radiation Bolt, any Stab and then I guess 2 x Punishing Bolt can pretty much do the job. :)

And with a short ranged staff I would rather opt for Phantom Pain and Vinorkin's Boots and yeah, also some armor removal!

Using elf wiz is not a problem but I would go for big heals to keep her in range. I actually need the heals to keep a dwarf wiz in range and I also pass a few Invigorating Touch to my wiz with ABT. Just in case.