Traveling Curse vs Trait Cycling

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by SgtSteve, Jan 9, 2014.

1. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

I've seen some builds pull out 6, 8, or even 10+ traits in the first turn. I think the average control mage *coughdwarfcough* has around 12-14 traits. They also tend to run Toughness (which draws) and there's often a priest or two casting Inspiring Presence (which draws), not to mention the always popular Dwarven Battle Cry (which draws). I've been trying to find some way to counter, not the control directly, but rather the mechanic that makes control possible - trait cycling. The only thing I've come up with so far is Traveling Curse.

This card has a unique feature - it allows you to manipulate your opponents deck. You're inserting something nasty into a deck that draws a LOT more cards than the average. I've started a build with 2 warriors and 1 priest that focuses on mobility, survivability and Traveling Curse. I have no idea at all if it's going to be effective, but the idea is that I can through armor and healing shrug off the 5 damage a lot easier than the wizards can.

There's not many items with it, but they are all surprisingly not terrible! There's nothing above a rare, and the commons/uncommons can be purchased easily enough. I've even considered adding a couple of them to other builds, especially the tokenless ones. Have a look...

http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Cards/Traveling_Curse

Thoughts? Any feedback is good, positive or negative. Heck, any effort that blunts control is good!

2. Snorre Liljegren

Snorre Liljegren Mushroom Warrior

Ice aktually tried something like this, trouble is as you say that theres not enough of them to really matter, but I'm not afraid to put them in my deck, actually i see them not as a drawback, but as something good most of the time :)

3. I like to build gimmick decks, and Traveling Curse was one of the first gimmicks I tried to make work. My plan was to take all the Traveling Curses I could use and then add some healing to counter the damage. The problem is that you cannot take enough of them in your deck to make any real damage. The other major problem is of course that you take the damage first.

I think that Traveling Curse would be more interesting if for example it started as 3 damage, and +3 damage was added each time it gets reshuffled in a deck. This means that you take 3 damage, opponent takes 6 damage, you take 9 damage etc.

Sir Veza, ElShafto and Avarice like this.
  4. hilynano

hilynano Kobold

Too many problems with that card for attack.

1) less equipment with that card.

2) 5 damage is really too low

3)Who can ensure your enemy will draw that card? In common case an character only draw two cards at one turn. ops

5. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

A card like that would be cool.
    A sort of Doomsday Card that cycles around doing more damage each time it comes up therefore eventually killing the characters.
    Would make for some fast gaming and put a good drawback on them card junkies.
    Smells like a new card idea. ;) On the other side the tacticians would really hate it just like WWE.

Towards the main topic. This card would make sense to have when using fighters and healers vs spell casters but as said you will need a lot of them in your deck and it will may take quiet a while before it shows up for the first time once traveled so that it's pure luck if this be helpful or a real drawback.

BTW I see that you have a new custom build SLG. The Siege was nice so I will look into your new one as well.

6. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

I've got to disagree with a couple of your points hilynano. Yes, 5 damage is low, but we're specifically talking about targeting wizards here. They're lower hp makes them more vulnerable to any kind of damage, especially if they're running with no healing. Every bit of damage counts! As for ensuring they draw the card - you're correct. You can't ensure anything. However, with the massive trait cycling going on in the meta right now, it makes their decks much smaller, making it much more likely you'll see the curse return.

As for point #1, I got nothin. 6 items is a really small portion of the pool.

7. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

you could be gimmicky and try to inspire enemy or accel. thinking... with enough blocks and armor it won't matter if they draw into attacks, although again, travel curse build is gimmicky to begin with.