Traps.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Althezel, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Althezel

Althezel Mushroom Warrior

Now this is a discussion.

I was thinking about the similarity it would have to reaction cards, and I think that you may be right: they could be in the game already. It would be an interesting kind of reaction card because it would be lasting instead of a one turn thing. I think being able to have long-term card effects in the environment would make for better game play, and they would HAVE TO BE indiscriminate. If you could walk over a trap and not have it activate, that would be stupid.

Also, after thinking about it, I agree. We don't need another Yu-gi-oh. So, no playing cards face down. That would just be annoying.

Indiscriminate, visible, long-lasting, awesome effects. <-----good trap/reaction card traits, imo.

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Especially if you can control your opponents move and walk them into the trap... :cool:

Althezel likes this.
  3. Althezel

Althezel Mushroom Warrior

Oh snap. I didn't even think of that. Maze of the Mind + Pressure plate = Nasty combo :eek:

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

What Sir Knight Has Been Planning to Do to You for the Last Week, Suckers

Or, if Card Hunter were real life, I'd just Maze of the Mind you into a wall or door frame. Over and over. Ya got three movement points; GO!

(Yup, we're gonna have to make a "If Card Hunter were real life" thread once we actually understand the game.)

5. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

"Stop Maze of the Minding yourself, stop Maze of the Minding yourself!"

6. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I pound my fists upon the posts and still insist I see no ghosts...

7. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Here comes another mightymushroom speculative leap.

I took another look at the map editor preview, and there are no traps to be seen in the video. Now, we don't see all the tile sets, so there may pressure plates and trap doors as part of the dungeon tiles and so forth, but there doesn't appear to be anything in the forest set - no snare loops or tripwire log falls. Perhaps more telling, I don't see any method to add such things to any ordinary tile: we have the terrain layer, movement layer, spawn layer, and several layers of doodads, but nothing that suggests interactive effects. Again, it's only a short preview and we didn't see all the devs can do, but it adds up to suggest that -- consistent with the card-centric design philosophy -- traps are purely a card feature and not part of the terrain.

On the other hand:
    [​IMG]
    Now doesn't that sound like every hallway, door, and overhead pot of boiling oil is a potential trap? How can we get that feeling if traps aren't "built in" to the map?

I have a sneaky / really cool plan.

There are no traps in the map editor video, but there are neutral spawns. I don't think anybody has mentioned that yet, I'll leave it to other discussions about what nonplayer characters could mean running about in the middle of a battlefield. What matters to this discussion is that neutrals could throw traps. Set up a special deck and a special version of the AI and you could create a "statue" character --I'll bet Lord Batford's manor has several suits of armor standing about; don't they all? -- that doesn't play to win, it merely plays that Arrow Trap card to the fancy rug tile in the center of the room, and automatically resets the trap as needed. The trap can be "disarmed" by taking out the statue character, but only at the expense of not using your attacks on actual enemies.

The same trick could be used to create card-activated effects in other environments as well: periodic fireballs in a volcanic cave, or "free" healing for your own party defending hallowed ground from a nasty demon ordinarily far above their level, for examples.

What do you think?

8. profroche

profroche Mushroom Warrior

Well, we didn't see the monster/NPC placement, traps are likely to be placed from that same routine.

9. mightymushroom

No, we did see Farbs place spawn points. Supposing in single player that you are always Player0, then monsters are in the Player1 spot and any NPCs are in the Neutral slot; there are controls for sub-groups so that the dragon always spawns at the back of the cave and the minions at the front. The deck and sprite info is not being stored in the map file.

I didn't see anything that looks like placing traps.

10. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Traps dont necessarily have to be another layer. They could be spawned in like monsters or spawned in by monsters.

11. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm cool with the idea of a volcano "entity" that has a deck with a single "Periodic Lava Burst" card. It's totally a way to do it.

It also feels a little odd, though. You sometimes see programmers stretch their code to fit more circumstances than originally intended: this could be like shoehorning the feature into the game and saying "Look! We totally have traps!" before actual play reveals unintended side effects. If there were a more elegant solution, it could be better.

12. profroche

profroche Mushroom Warrior

The spawn points, but not what spawns IN those points.

13. mightymushroom

I take it all back, guys. I just now realized that Farbs never demonstrated anything form the "Upper Doodads" layer. Now if the decal doodads are things that are part of the terrain at board level, and the lower doodads are the edges beneath the terrain, what are upper doodads? Things that sit on top of the terrain, obviously. And why did we think the spike trap and green acid in the picture were traps? Beacuse they appear to sit on top of the board! Here I am, trying to find a complicated way to get traps into the environment, and I'm ignoring what I already know about them. I feel so foolish.