Tournament Discussion (Swiss-style Tournament #2)

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Stexe, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

So, the last tournament was fairly successful and I'm interested in running another. Been throwing around some ideas and wanted to get some feedback on them. Note: I won't be running this tournament until late March / early April (after GDC).

The tournament would be a speed tournament... each player would have 5 or 6 minutes on the clock. Each participant would be required to have a Challonge account and report their score after the game (to have it more automated and quicker). Each round time would be 15 minutes (12 for playing and 3 for reporting) and it would be a series of 12 matches over the course of 3 hours in rapid fire succession organized through normal Swiss-tournament rules.

For items I'm thinking Rare or lower rarity.

And for maps I'm thinking about having "Draw Limit" enabled (each turn you can only draw 5 more cards for your entire team, any cards drawn after that limit are ignored).

The combination of low time and draw limit should make it so 3DC doesn't run rampant, but is still possibly viable.

Any other ideas, questions, concerns, suggestions, etc?

Farbs likes this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

• I think 3DC might be unplayable at those speeds for 99% of humans haha. This is not necessarily a problem.
    • Draw Limit maps are dumb. But if you don't know that, and are running this as an experiment, by all means, be my guest. I'll abstain from participating.
    • Rare or lower is fun, but it disproportionately hurts vamps and FS I think. We'll see.

Either way, should be fun to see it go down.

I'm still waiting for Leagues to be revealed before I unveil my next event...

3. Stexe

I don't think they will be unplayable. I'll most likely use something similar to it and try it out.

Why are Draw Limit maps dumb? I don't see the problem with them as they are a decent fix to trait cycling and massive draw deck teams (which aren't really viable in Rare or lower rarity anyway due to limitations on Inspiring Presence and such). Yes, it is mainly a test, but I don't see them as problematic at all.

Rare or lower is mainly designed to do something we haven't done before. I wanted something close to Peasant, but not the same.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

They aren't a "fix" to trait cycling. They're a giant middle finger to trait cycling. If you run more than 5 traits total on your whole team, you're randomly going to get boned by the map some amount of the time. Is that good? Is that a fix? Say I run Focused Healer and Escapist on my vampire. I have room for ONE more trait in my ENTIRE party before things start randomly going south. Someone else can do the math on the chances of card disadvantage if I run 4 traits on each of my guys. Which, by the way, I don't consider even approaching an abuse of trait cycling. Massive draw teams are also basically nonexistent since 2nd circle nerf. I'm not sure what you're trying to fix here; you're only going to dissuade anyone from running a build that uses more than 5 traits. Not worth the risk.

5. Stexe

No? The probability of getting all 5 traits is next to nothing. Heck, I've run 3DC on the map with an enemy that uses Dwarven Battle Cry (to force me to draw even more cards which actually nets me negative draws) and still done well.

I'm heading out right now to go play some board games, but I'll calculate the average odds later on. It is almost insignificantly small. How many times have you played on them? I've played maybe 3 times with 3DC and only had minor problems.

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

..... "Draw Limit Maps" ......
    <----- I missed something somewhere O__o???

(The concept is obvious; that implementation has happened is not.)

7. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Yeah, can you please elaborate explicitly what the draw limit is about for everyone who reads this and doesn't know about it....
    I think it is a dumb idea, period. *EDIT* Not what I thought it was. Hmm..

Flaxative likes this.
  8. Stexe

Go to "Create Casual Game" and then "Non-Ranked" and you'll see a few maps with "(Draw Limit)" on the side. Basically the idea is that after your normal draw (1 movement card + 2 other cards) your team has a limit of 5 draws. Any other draws after that 5 for that turn are ignored. It usually doesn't come into play unless you're playing 3DC or Inspiring Presence or Toughness + Parry + etc.

9. Stexe

Okay, since I'm back from PAX I have a bit of free time left before I just crunch trying to find a job. Therefore I'm interested in doing one last tournament... probably will take place on Saturday, the 26 April 2014.

I definitely want it to be a speed tournament (5 or 6 minute time limit), but I'm unsure on the other details. Probably want to do Rare or lower rarity and possibly have Draw Limits, but I'm not sure on the last two.

I know a lot of people are against draw limits, but I'd be curious to see how it plays out. Granted there are a lot of other variables in the mix so it won't be a "pure test" but I'm sure we could draw some conclusions from it. Any thoughts or ideas outside of just it being a rapid series of matches?

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Good-bye... :(

Stexe likes this.
  11. Stexe

I'll still play a bit (10 games a week probably for the season ratings), but I can't really dedicate the time it takes to running a tournament or doing comprehensive balance suggestions or testing content on the test server since I need a job badly at this point.

Flaxative likes this.