Tier of New Cards

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Janet, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

I would like to start discussing with other players how the rank new expansion cards (cards not items) , I will start with Tier 1 cards down to Tier 4 cards, this is a work in progress, as I have to do some testing, and all comments ideas are welcome and will be incorporated:
    TIER 1
    -Cushioning Armor
    :
    Think this card is pretty OP, and a Vamp with damage mitigation will be very hard to pull down.:cool:
    The Softener seems is particularly powerful, whereas Stargod's Raiments seem like a nice alternative for a support/melee oriented priest.
    Apparently depending on order in which you draw armor (from left to right) softener may reduce damage before or after armor mitigation. (Thanks to Beledorf for the tip).
    -Accelerate Time:
    If you build around this with control mages + support priest running bless can turn out to be pretty OP. The downtorn to this card is that it comes in items that cost a major token,(majortoken) and most of these have 1 bad card on them, with the exception of Reality Warper, which seems perfect for what the card does.
    -Laser Thrust:
    a step attack? yes please. Penetrating? Yes, please. Possibility to deal 11 dmg? Yes, Please!! This card, is probably best step attack out there, only problem is, it comes on cards that cost a lot and are not too viable, with the exception perhaps of Starknife, which might be worth a try ? Whereas Heretiick suggests Nova Axe:

TIER 2
    -Adaptable

I think this card has a lot of potential in PVE, but in PVP where people adapt fast to meta, I think that players will find a way around if it starts getting played alot, which might mean more diversity in builds.
    -Cooling Laser:
    This cooler has a nice long range and can pack some serious damage (8-11 dmg) , it has a nice bonus +2 damage on other cold cards too. Why Tier 2 then? Well, because it does not encumber your opponent of course, is that not what freezing cards should do?! :rolleyes:
    - Force Field:
    at the end of the day, unless your opponent purges you (in which case you are trading 1 card for 1 card) you are trading 1 card for 3..may the force be with you!
    -Mimetic Crown:
    if you are after protection, this one is really not for you. However, throw something like leather harness in the mix, and you draw a pretty decent attack card almost every time you get hit. If you happened to be frenzied too, your opponent might think twice about hitting you again. I don't think it ticks the draw limit either (but need to remember to check this!)
    -Scatter Laser:
    the new fireball? Sure, you need LoS and sure minor erratic damage may mean you could draw something nasty, but it also means you could potentially hit for 6 + frenzing cards targets far apart from each other, or hit targets near you without having to worry about damaging your own chars..pretty decent.:)
    TIER 3
    -Laser Whip:
    The whip can potentially pack some decent damage, but it's not penetrating and enemy charter has to be 2 square distance.
    -Push The Button:
    This leads you to having one of the following: Laser Thrust (Tier 1), Laser Strike (Tier 2), Laser Whip (Tier 3), Laser Cutdown (Tier 3), it should be Tier 2/3, but factoring the randomness, definetly Tier 3.
    -Hypnotic Beacon:
    Pretty interesting control card which, if placed it the right spot, may really mess up a melee-based enemy team. However, it is quite random, and you may find the angry warrior may far way from you or right behind you :mad:
    -Radiation Bomb:
    The idea of "fireballing" priests is quite appealing, but you do feal the 2dmg less of the bomb, and the debuffing is a bit too random to base a strategy on, large weapon may win you a game on the right map, festering, may leave you running away from a KAMIKAZE! :eek:
    TIER 4
    -Autoblock:

Have not tested this, I suppose it will be nice against burst mages, but I think people will just single-target you next turn and make you drop it. :oops:
    -Laser Spray:
    This will end up affecting your party probably more than enemy party, as enemy will generally try to keep as many of his chars as possible out of mage's LoS. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    SirSrsly likes this.
  2. Merdis

Merdis Orc Soldier

The Softener is Heavy Armor, not a Divine one. However, I agree that this card is probably OP and should be re-designed.

Stexe and Janet like this.
  3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

The Softner is Heavy Armor (Warriors).

EDIT: Not fast enough.

4. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

Laser Thrust is definitely going to be in Tier 1 for PvP

Drakkan likes this.
  5. WhiteSorcerer

WhiteSorcerer Guild Leader

Cushioning armor probably needs a 4+ roll

6. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

Agreed, looks damn nice, any comments on a particular item featuring it you fancy?

7. Heretiick

Penetrating on a thrust attack is really strong and though 1/3 of the time you are pulling handicaps, a 6-11 damage range is really strong.

8. Heretiick

9. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I dont think it is possible to get something to work with this. It just need to much work. You need control cards for warriors, smoke bombs for mages and in between your own tech. And the higher ranked players know how to play around volcano. And for just drawing a card with Gloomthirst or Bones it is not worth the major token. I will stop trying this, before I get kicked out of my guild. :D

10. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

It is. I played against neoncat and it was just stupid. He also stacks alot of vulnerables into his deck, because he does not care. Btw. Greater Heal denies two attacks, when you have Talented Healer.

Oh, and we got nearly timed out. It was so much fun...

11. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Hypnotic Beacon is well placed a real pain. Loosing to it is really frustrating... A control wizard with that thing...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  12. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

I'm tiering cards rather than Items at this stage, I think there are a lot of tier 1 cards, that come only in tier 3-4 items. So do I think the card is OP? Yes!! Do I think I would play given the items it's found on? Not too sure..

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You know if you highlight the card name and click the stack of 3 cards on the formatting bar it'll automatically link it to the wiki? Then you don't have to clog the post with wiki links too.

Flaxative and Janet like this.
  14. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

15. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

kustaa, Janet and Flaxative like this.
  16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

17. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Cushioning Armor is just another example of forcing players to protect against melee vs. magic. Yes it can prevent a lot of damage and is keep and it is a hard to get card (Epic+) but I see it being a frustration, but overcome in many ways (Sundering strike might be even more popular).
    Accel Time is going to be interesting. Also not a new card but BM slipped a Lava Pool onto a robe with Accel time it is even more dangerous.
    Force Field is going to be a SOB especially with Bubble Helmet having 2 for 1B.
    I don't expect Scattering laser to be a big thing. Having LoS on 3 PvP enemies is unusual and I think the random effects are going to be interesting.
    The way adaptable works as an attachment for that type is going to be weaker than I think it sounds, but we will see.

Not much of opinion otherwise haven't had the chance to touch any of these cards yet.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. boopn

boopn Kobold

Like last expansion, is there a link or jpg showing all the new cards at once?

19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

20. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra