Throwing ranked games is not OK

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

DunDunDun, you can always see the current League timetable from the League Schedule icon (looks like a noticeboard) on the MP screen.

2. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

If you're going to play a game with friends, spam as much Whirlwind as you can. ;)

Sorry for any misunderstandings that may have happened. There will always be someone who for no good reason gets pissed off no matter what you do, how quickly you play or how politely you speak.
    There's a lot of good people around this good game though, and we hope you stick around and enjoy what you like.

Jarmo and DunDunDun like this.
  3. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Perception is not my strong suit. :p

A bit hard to read, when words blur together for you, so I'll toss a gentle request in here for a 50% increase in the table gaps between rows, but useful to know the location of :D

4. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Of course it's for real. I'm allowed to have emotion am I not?

But you don't have to worry about me lashing out at others for it if that's your concern; I'm the most polite player you can find on the server, even when I'm raging inside :-". I almost never talk when playing unless with friends or when I'm talked to. Just sharing my feeling and experience here.

Take Dundundun here for example, if he's taking too long when playing with me I'll just ask politely if he can speed up. If then he explains his reason then I'll say "by all means, take your time"; or at worst just politely resign if I'm not in the mood. I'm sure he won't mind.

Sir Veza, Stexe and DunDunDun like this.
  5. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yay for official stance. Been calling people out on this for over a year now... Just hope it gets enforced. =)

6. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Hoping eventually the system'll be changed so it doesn't NEED to be :)

7. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

DunDunDun and Sir Veza like this.
  8. Stexe

What vulgarity? I've been playing for over a year and it is really rare for me to see anything like that. If you see someone say something offensive report them. You can also just not click on the Chat tab and turn off the chat notification sound. That way the only thing you'll see is a flashing tab.

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

While it's not something happening real often, I can confirm I played with several people being harsh, trash talking and not being very polite.

I guess it's much, much rarer in the higher ranking, since the top players tend to be long-time members of the community and hence more integrated into it.

I can see how a parent might be worried by his child being exposed by the crudeness of the internet. Even if (most) rude language gets usually censored, a mute-chat option might help in those instances were you would rather shut down all talk than risk being exposed to unmannered players.

DunDunDun likes this.
  10. Stexe

It could help, but at the same time it might be problematic if someone accidentally activates it. I have noticed a lot more toxicity in lower level players. There are only a few higher level players I tend to watch out for. You also have to factor the dev time implementing this and the UI for it and so on. Might not be too bad, but how many people would actually use it?

I think having the default chat sound be off or Battle Only would be helpful. So many new players get confused by that drum beat playing...

11. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

I've seen a fair bit, so I find it pretty easy to believe. I don't bother reporting it usually, since I'm pretty hard to offend that way, but I would encourage others to do so. Personally, I tend to just roll my eyes and make snarky comments about people who get all ragey over a game. ;)

I suspect though that it's an issue you're likely see a lot more at low ranks. People who've put enough time and thought into the game to reach higher ranks tend to be more reasonable on average.

[Edit - And taking too long to post is risky too... multiple people might come along and say the same thing while you're composing. :D]

Sir Veza, Bandreus and Stexe like this.
  12. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

In my experience, when the other player types to you, regardless of sound notification, the chat window automatically changes focus to the in-game chat. Having a mute mode for in-game chat would certainly take programming hours away from other things. But as it is now, I think you can't really let your kids play multiplayer. Which is a shame.

13. Stexe

That's the case with like 99% of games though. I can't think of any off hand that have a mute all built into it. Could be a good time to have a talk about online toxicity and how to deal with bullies, trolls, and abusive people (report and/or ignore). But to each their own. =)

I find a lot more people throwing games or stalling on purpose than simply trash talking. Although I could understand how it could be problematic and how people might want a mute all -- especially when they are playing SP and don't want to see the World Chat tab get tons of notification numbers next to it.

14. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think that depends on the main target-audience for the game. Most games which feature online/MP gameplay with open chat end up being rated as Mature. Most games intended (i.e. by the devs) to be played by children don't usually feature such functionality. I'm pretty sure lots of exceptions exist though.

Anyway, I've seen many games featuring a mute-chat option, despite the fact most of the time that's not an option I'm actively looking for. Starcraft II and Realm of the Mad God come to mind.

15. Stexe

Not true at all. Most are T for Teen or E10+ but have "Online activity not rated by the ESRB." This game is too small to get sent for a rating since it is expensive and time consuming, but I'd suspect it would be E10+ for alcohol/tobacco references.

16. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

You should make a Poll in General Chat and find out if you are right (since the floodgate to Kongregate i suspect its now mostly teens and kids)

17. Stexe

Don't think that would give an accurate representation of the actual age. Be my guest if you want to though.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  18. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I will... soon... in a week, maybe, if i dont forget :p

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't see any reason why we'd be opposed to giving players an option to turn off chat (other than whatever work is involved). @Jon?

20. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

It is appalling to hear that people are being vulgar, abusive or rude in the chat. However, you can certainly ignore the battle chat, you can block anyone who is harassing you (and never see them talk again), and you can report people so they will smarten up. There are options out there.

We expect everyone to have the same standards of sportsmanship and etiquette, but it requires people to stand up for themselves. When people join the game, we hope that they will adopt the same mindset and enjoy the game for what it is.

I'd still like to think of Card Hunter as having a friendly community, regardless of new players and old players alike, whether they come from Kongregate, DOTA or the dark depths of Mordor, let them come. We will stand strong together and accept no poor behaviour.

PS: I've met some great new players who claim they're from Kong, but none from Middle Earth. Hmm