The Throne of Strench -- LVL 7 Module

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Paprika2215, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Paprika2215

Paprika2215 Mushroom Warrior

Heya,

I was wondering if anybody could share tips and strategies with me. I'm stuck on a lvl 7 module, which is kind of stupid of me because my party is already at lvl 8. Those of you who read/replied to my thread about a lvl 6 adventure know that I'm new to Card Hunter, but also to this game genre... though I'm not trying to use that as an excuse. It's just that I'm not yet used to the way of thinking that Card Hunter requires at times, you know?

OK, so I'm stuck at the first lvl of the "The Throne of Strench" adventure. My party consists of a dwarven warrior, a human wizard, and an elven priest. Here's what they have currently equipped:

Fearghas Troich
    Level 8 Dwarf Warrior

Gandalf Draiocht
    Level 8 Human Wizard

Catriona Sagart
    Level 8 Elf Priest

I tried moving my dwarven warrior Fearghas and my human wizard Gandalf towards the enemies so they block the enemy's path. That way my elven priest Catriona can stay behind my warrior and wizard and heal them when necessary. I really thought that this way of playing would quickly pay off, but it didn't -- instead, I kept getting trounced until only my priest was left standing, and while she does have a few attacks, it's not enough if there are still two or more enemies left. Two of the enemies, the ones who start with 15 HP, had a lot of armor, so I brought some Boiling Armor cards and Dissolve Armor and other armor dissolving cards to the battle, only I never got a chance to draw them,

So what am I doing wrong here? If anyone could fill me in, I'd be very happy. :)

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I'd suggest moving your warrior to a position just left at the opening of the "tunnel" - outside the small chamber the troggs start in. This way the Troggs can't move very fast (or even attack more than 1 at a time), and you can slow down the enemies approach.

3. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Two thoughts (or so):

1. Level 7 or 8 is about where I gave up trying to have a healing priest. I now load them with frenzies and big damage like Violent Overswing or Vicious Thrust (which was even better when it still had Penetrating...)

2. Crude Plates don't block damage from the back. If you can get your high damage warrior on one side, and high damage priest on the other you can have them take turns beating the trogs down. Alternately, have your wizard stock up on armor destroying cards (Boiling Armor and/or Dissolve Armor), Wavering Faith is good for that too. Finally, you could try buffed Penetrating on the warrior.

4. shazbot

shazbot Mushroom Warrior

I had the most trouble with the third fight of the module where Strench can reach zap your party from behind the barrier. My advice is to try and find a robe with resistant hide for your wizard. It will automatically block strench's lightning attacks. If you can keep your wizard alive while you kill the 2 spearman, the rest of the fight should be easy since Strench won't be able to hurt your wizard.

Also, the fire spray and arcane spray aren't really helping you on the third fight. If you're wizard is within 2 spaces of a spearman long enough to fire off either, then you're doing something wrong. I would try to switch whatever items those came with to more armor reduction if you can.

5. Pengw1n

Yeah, I stayed away from giving feedback from anything but the first map - as thats' where Paprika's stuck. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, even if Strench is a right bastard... ;)

6. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Healing priests are not very useful at mid-levels. Try tweaking your priest for buffs and damage instead.

7. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

Sorry for butting in like this but was the given help good enough or do you need more advice Paprika2215?
    Be a waste to keep giving tips when all is well. ;)

8. Paprika2215

Heh, I'm sorry, I didn't check this thread as much as I thought I would! But I got through the first adventure using this advice from a helpful fellow I know from an earlier thread of mine:

Anyway, I am playing the second adventure right now (I have this thread open in a seperate tab in my browser, just like I did last time I was stuck). I just want to say, I really appreciate all the help, and I'll come back to this thread if I need further help! :D

Pengw1n likes this.
  9. Paprika2215

As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm stuck again -- this time at the second battle of the adventure. Man, this adventure is hard! I thought the first battle was tough, but this... I can't imagine how tough the third battle must be! I remember a some of you mentioning how Strench is a real behind-kicking boss.

But anyway, I have to admit I'm at a loss for what to do in this battle. Like always, the Trogs' armor cards are giving me big trouble, and to make things worse, the board for this battle has a pretty complex layout. So what should I do? I wish I'd gotten used to it by now, but the way of thinking required here still has me baffled! I still like Card Hunter a lot though, so I'm not giving up. ;)

10. Pengw1n

Pssst. Go left - and bring all penetrating or reach attacks you can. ;)

(I'll start out with vauge hints)

11. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

In your cards, I see only one poor, lonely Hot Spot, and a lot of things like arcane spray. At least from the front, that spray is just going to serve as a pushing device to make them hop backwards away from you.
    Take a second to re-read some of the enemy cards. I'm pretty sure you'll find that the Trog armor falls into the category of "only works from the front". Surrounding them isn't always an option, but step attacks aren't just for getting the first hit, they're also just handy to hop behind someone from the side. This will also teach you some nice tricks for dealing with parries, coming up in level 8 adventures. Just think twice about trying it if he's also got a friend standing right behind him who's going to do the same to you afterwards.

12. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

Penetrating or long and step behind attacks for the Fighter. Armor as well.
    Long range attacks/ stuff for the Cleric. I love to use Bad Medicine at this point. Use at the beginning.
    Wizard gets whatever you think works well.
    Tactic: Pick them of one by one by surrounding them if possible.
    For the final fight. The boss is a wizard so watch for hard hitting zaps and try to keep weak characters out of line of sight.

13. Paprika2215

Hey guys, I apologize for my absence! I've been on a short Card Hunter break, but I certainly haven't stopped playing. I have been playing the second battle of the "Throne of Strench" over and over (and over and over and over and over and over... wow, "over" doesn't even seem like a word anymore). But I can't get through it, no matter what I try. I still can't familiarize myself with the basic thinking that Card Hunter requires, and I feel so dumb because of that! :( I still like the game a lot though, I just can't seem to stop liking the charm the game has, and I certainly see its potential for improvement -- that's exactly why I keep playing, even though I'm stuck. But nevertheless, here I am again, asking for some more help. Especially Pengw1n has been the most helpful to me so far (though every bit of help I get, no matter who gives it, makes me feel grateful!).

So, let me start with how my party is currently equipped:
    Jack O'Backstabber
    Level 8 Dwarf Warrior

2 x Mail
    1 x Parry
    1 x Block
    1 x Hardy Mail
    1 x Able Stab
    1 x Wild Run
    3 x Weak Chop
    1 x Slicer
    1 x Walk
    3 x Chop
    1 x Charge

Leon Sparkmaker
    Level 8 Human Wizard

3 x Big Zap
    1 x Long Spark
    2 x Walk
    2 x Spark
    1 x Brain Burn
    2 x Acid Blast
    1 x Acid Jet
    1 x Fire Spray

Coffin Snatcher
    Level 8 Elf Priest

1 x Stab
    3 x Heal
    2 x Block
    1 x Purge
    5 x Minor Heal
    1 x Slippery
    1 x Light Heal
    3 x Walk
    1 x Jump Back

This is exactly the same party as the one I showed off earlier in this thread, I just renamed them and switched a few pieces of gear so it fit in with the tips I'd gotten to the best of my abilities (meaning, I tried as best I could with the items I had). I hope someone can help me, and maybe give me some straight advice. I don't mean a walkthrough, because I do want to figure out some things for myself! :cool: I just mean... well, less cryptic advice, that's all. It's just, most of the tips I get seem almost like a foreign language to me -- like I said, I try my best to become accustomed to the world of Cardhuntria, but I feel like I'm so incredibly slow with picking things up! I really don't want to ask for help every time!

14. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Oooh, a challenge! Hmm ... missing two of the needed items, swapping something worse in place. And I guess my party will be lvl 9, but that's only worth 1 hp at best if I leave the minor power token unused. Let's see how this goes.

15. magnuslshs

magnuslshs Kobold

I think you should focus more on the reach of your attacks, since the trogs are almost impossible to come close to. I think Cleaver and Novice Chopping are pretty poor choices here. If you can, replace them with items like Heirloom Assegai and Novice Impaling instead.

The same goes for the wizard, Big Zap is powerful, but if you can't come close a simple penetrating zap or Short Spark still does a better job. And as Aldones said earlier: Hot Spot is your best friend on this level, a Burning Bangle or two could help you a lot.

Good luck!

shazbot and Pengw1n like this.
  16. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Well, I tried doing it with this gear and it wasn't too bad - I lost my wizard to Brain Burn in the second battle but the other two finished it. My overall tactic was to wait for the enemy to come to me and snipe them with the wizard. Once they got closer and I had decent attacks in my hand, I moved in for the kills. Trying to beat the armored trogs while they have an armor card is fairly pointless, concentrate on the others until you can draw armor removal. You have a bunch of penetrating attacks of course but it takes a while to whittle down 15 hp with them.

I would switch out the elf skill, Superstitious is a huge handicap IMO. Not entirely sure if Lavender Staff is worth it with the two drawbacks, Acid Jet and Mighty Spark are both great though.

Other than that, it comes down to maneuvering around the battlefield. Try not to be within stabbing range of a trog if you can avoid it. If you have no attacks in hand, move away. If your cards are weak, don't move closer to the enemy - wait for better stuff to come up before exchanging blows. If possible, only rush in when you can kill at least one enemy.

17. Paprika2215

Woot! I finally beat this adventure -- all three battles!:D It took me quite a few tries, but in the end, the good side always prevails, heheh! Thanks for all the tips, guys! And also, I think I'm finally starting to get used to Card Hunter's strategy! :cool:

18. Pengw1n

Awesome job Dennis. It's always great to hear from people and hear them progress even through hard times!