The Shopping List

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Createx, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Weakling's Helm not Wimpy Helm.
    Heavy Wooden Shield I prefer over Dueler's Buckler and I simply cannot advocate for Simple Wooden Shield, period. There are many better items!
    Streaked Shield is good to have. I also like Rusty Shield to block special magic.
    Shoulderspike Mail is ~ about the same as Jerkin Of Thorns... But I relied on Hardy Mail extensively throughout campaign, it's so much better than Mail in the long run. And thus, I again insist on Solid Mail.
    Novice Pyromancy, Novice Rifthopping and all of the Novice Martial skills I have mentioned should be up there, also Sharp Bashing. So many people use the tokenless, two-trait skills it's not funny.

2. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I would add some weapons with very good movility for those who don't have a VP or multiple lochabers:
    Sharp Spetum might be better than BS in case someone doesn't have good NS weapons.
    Tango Spear: It's great if you don't have VP or multiple lochabers. I'm currently using this one in MP. Dancing Cut is the closest you can get to Nimble Strike. Plus, it has 3 good ranged attacks.
    Sword Of The Winds. Very similar to Double-edged Sword, maybe better, but it uses 2 major tokens. Debatable, but it's a good weapon after all.

doog37 likes this.
  3. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Some more:
    For priests:
    Silver Healing Ring: if you are into healing, this may be the best divine item for that purpose, and it's a common one.
    Amulet Of Inspiration: 3 Inspiration for cycling.
    Lifesuck Spear: good divine weapon with 6 attacks.
    Axe Of The Dark Soul: this one is good for a FS team if you want to speed things up with Unholy Wellspring.

For wizards:
    Greenstone Pendant: A good way to have both WWe and WoW with your wizard.
    Pearwood Staff: great staff, specially for a WWe wizard that doesn't care too much about that Fright
    Counterblast Staff: very solid uncommon staff. Specially useful in some leagues were you expect a lot of FS, like the Golden Shrine or Wicked Waterways type.
    Stormstaff: good for a wizard team that focus in direct damage instead of control. It should be paired with some boost like Spark Generator.

4. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

I would advise against playing Fright in most cases - I've seen too many games lost because a wizard couldn't play any of their control spells for a round because Fright popped up. Pearwood Staff is the most frequent offender, but Streaked Shield is just as bad. Fright just isn't worth the cycling.

After the update, lvl 17 and 18 items will be available for purchase at the shops, meaning fun stuff like Bejeweled Shortsword, Superb Mobility, Double-edged Sword, and other fun stuff like that will be available for purchase. As someone who enjoys the Peasant format, I, for one, support our new overlo - I mean shop setups.

5. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I've been using Peerwood Staff for a couple of months now (I used Staff of Winter before) and I'm doing well with it. As I said, it's much better in a wwe wizard, because you always have some defense when you draw Fright with your wiz and some opponent's character goes for him (you can use ww and wwe when you have Fright attached). In a traditional wwe wizard that uses 3 arcane slots for Rod Of Winds and one for some SPR, Peerwood Staff is the only choice you have if you want to have some Winds of War. The other cards are also very useful, two for defense (Acid Jet and Frost Jolt) and one extra Mighty Spark for offense.

Inkfingers likes this.
  6. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

That actually makes a lot of sense. I've never played around with a WWWizard before, so I wasn't really aware of how that works out in practice. I think, barring that one case (and possibly a non-offensive Inspiration priest), however, Fright should generally be avoided.

kogi and Jacques like this.
  7. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Yes, I wouldn't recommend it except for the wwe wizard case, even 3DC wizards that have very little direct damage need to play attack cards constantly. You can't even play some non-damage attack cards like SPR with Fright.

8. Createx

Createx Kobold

Lots of good stuff, thanks!
    Work is killing me right now, but I should be able to add it Friday evening. I hope :)

9. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Good list here.

I'd definitely suggest you make a similar list for Rares (and maybe Epics / Legendary if you're feeling really lofty). Rares are fairly inexpensive in the long run and are important things to look out for and not sell. Epics / Legendaries are a bit niche fro new players that most people figure out what is good by the time they get a decent number of them, but a lot of people find Rares and don't realize how useful they are.

10. Createx

Createx Kobold

List updated with suggestions.
    Also sorted by power tokens as well as rarity now.
    Will add a section for rares later.

Sir Veza and Stexe like this.
  11. zeroth_hour

zeroth_hour Goblin Champion

Rares definitely; they can look for them at Randimar's and scrounge up the 100g necessary for them.

eg Rageblood Dagger (great TT mobility/power item)
    Cautious Trickery or Healthy Trickery (Trickeries are common on close combat guys but Healthy gives you a healing step in exchange for Vulnerable; Vulnerable kinda sucks on close combat but Healing step is better; so one good/one bad for two mediocre)

C/Us:
    Chillwood Staff - until you get more items in the Rare slot or higher, this is one of the only mass Frost items you get. Also has 2 Mighty Sparks for damage.
    Rusted Angel Mail two Lifesaving Blocks and is tokenless. Will probably be good on 1HP quests.

C/Us I'm not sure about:
    Cuirass Of Froth while 2 Frenzy Auras are very nice, Ill-fitting Armor is really bad. Thoughts?

By the way, Reliable Mail is only available at the Rare slot and higher; which is why I find that I think most Uncommon/lower Heavy Armors suck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Ill-fitting Armor is bad, but not much worse than Slowed. If you draw it in the beginning of the battle, you can just pass early to discard it; if you draw it late, your warrior should already be where you want him. I've used it while waiting for Gauntlets Of The Giant to drop, but I don't think I'd recommend buying it from the shops.

13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

14. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

"your warrior should already be where you want him"
    lol Kalin
    Your warrior needs to be next to squishier opponents :p And they are always moving :)

15. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

You might want to put the level of each item so people can know what to look for depending on their renown.

16. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I'd like to see this thread stickied for new players. Part of the fun of the game is discovering these items by yourself, but I think a lot more players just assume that commons and uncommons are automatically worse than rares and above and get frustrated with what they see as the slow pace of the loot collection.

17. Kronen

Kronen Kobold

just another extremely thankful noobie giving you a little well-deserved bump :)

Thanks for this list!!!!