The PAX preview thread (including game footage!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jon, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

We get a nice call out from Total Biscuit on the TGS game show podcast (skip ahead to 1h 28m):

Kaerius and Ystin like this.
  2. Jon

3. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

Total Biscuit's review was quite glowing. It seems like all of these links you are posting are absolutely raving about the game. I wonder if there are any previews out there that show the game in a negative light, and you're just trying to hide them from us! Just kidding, but seriously though I am interested to see someone talk negatively about the game. If there has been one posted, I'm sorry, I must have missed it.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

A game of this kind and at this point in its development might miss out on a lot of negativity. Games with a really involved storyline can get criticized on "bad" dialogue, acting, plot, or whatever. Games that put payment first, well, can get criticized on the payment system. And other matters, like "there's nothing to DO in this game," have to wait until we've seen more of the game.

I had seen it, but decided to be silly in how I responded in the thread. Silliness may not have been achieved.

And as to minions: between those pages, we have most of the picture (unless it's changed . . . ). There remains to be seen if Blue Manchu has enough elaboration to fill a diary.

5. Tess

Tess Blue Manchu

Heh. You can Google around, if you're in doubt!

Nobody gets to rest on their laurels, though! All this good press means that we have high expectations to live up to. I better get back to work!

6. Jon

Heh, I'm posting everything I see. I guess people who weren't interested just haven't written any previews. But I honestly don't think there were many of them.

Anyway, here are some more video interviews (the first one is over the top of a complete play-through):

Ystin likes this.
  7. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Or, you know, don't skip ahead and just watch the whole thing. The TGS Podcast has a tendency to be quite entertaining.

If TB is that positive about a game that he's actually played, it has to be pretty solid. But mostly I loved the look on Dodger's face while she was looking up info on the game.

8. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

Nah, I trust you guys. And yes, the highest! (Also thank you guys, for doing all the hard work that you are doing. I know I appreciate it.)

Jon, I'm not thinking there were many either, which can only mean good things for the future!

Also the video with Jon narrating for 31 minutes was great. I do think that being able to see around characters might be a problem. Is there any mechanic (such as transparent models when you mouse over them, or rotating the board) that are going to be implemented?

Also how exactly does the pass mechanic work? If I pass on the very first turn, will I get initiative in the next round? Or once I pass do I have to pass every turn until the end of that round? Or is it just the person to pass first, when both players pass?

9. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

This. An interesting tactical moment came up in my game against Farbs where he passed a little earlier than I expected. Passing behind him and getting more cards at the start of the next would have been good for me, but he'd have been able to act first and likely would have moved out of range, or blown me up something fierce if his Wizard drew some gas.

10. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks Roshirai. Makes passing seem sort of risky if you have stuff to do still. I like this mechanic, can't wait to get to figure out how to work it better.

11. Sir Knight

Summary of the first video for those who don't want to watch a half an hour:

Pointing at a foe shows you sort-of line-of-sight stuff. That is, it shows you "squares from which the foe could use a Block card if you attack."

Minions in a mob can all have individual names for easy identification. One of the Lizardman Guardians (a step up from Lizardman Warrior) is named Newt.

Pointing at a piece of game terminology on a card pops up help text. That is, terms like "Burst," "Burning," and "Duration" on the Fireball card all have immediate explanation.

The default move card counts toward your "you can keep two cards to the next turn" limit. If you do so, you still draw another default move on the next turn.

The Force Bolt card says "Slide Back 1 (slide target character 1 square away)." (Aside: shouldn't this parenthetical statement be in help text?) The use of "slide" is probably a verbal distinction from "teleport" or such.

When a card is in your hand, that little text that used to say things like "Puppeteer’s Headband" now says your name. This is just like how we've seen "Ogre" and such in that location.

The player asked about Gary: "Are you sure he's on my side?"

The victory screen is not the same as the familiar red dragon logo. Just look.

Other cards shown:

Charge - Move 5 in a straight line, deal damage at the end proportional to distance
    Perforating Strike - Melee attack ignoring 4 points of Armor
    Cleansing Burst - Remove terrain effects, Burst 1
    Attack Skill - Draw two attack cards
    Team Shift - Move 4 for the one who uses it, Move 1 for the rest of the party
    Boiling Armor - Force the discard of all Armor
    Obliterating Chop - Melee attack on two targets for 10 damage

While Greenfang has Fly, Acid Jet, Massive Jaws, some clawing attack, and some Armor.

Pixel likes this.
  12. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

Phenomenal coverage Sir Knight. I am especially pleased with your inclusion of, "The player asked about Gary: 'Are you sure he's on my side?'" Also the cards and what they do, reminds me of waiting for spoilers to be revealed with other CCGs. Good job.

13. Pixel

Pixel Kobold

***stupid question alert*** (because the analysis from everyone else so far has been great :))
    having seen all the previews, i'm still wondering...what are those snack things in the bowl in the title screen?? is it magical board-gaming food that can't be found outside of the US? i'm embarrassingly intrigued by this....

14. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Heh. Actually that's still supposed to tell you the name of the card's parent item, unless you're playing with a fixed deck (rather than a deck built from items). Monsters just use fixed decks, which is why you saw "Ogre" etc in the past. In this case, we gave players fixed decks for the demo so we could finetune the experience.

15. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

That is a fantastic question. I have no clue what those snacks are. They look sort of like Cheetos Puffs. Maybe a new age sort of Funion, or other onion ring snack? Maybe they're home made snacks that Gary's mom made for the group. We've got to find out her recipe.

Pixel likes this.
  16. Sir Knight

Yes. It IS magical gaming food. Appropriate not just for board games, but also card games, pen-and-paper games, chess, Tic-Tac-Toe, and Pick-Up Sticks. Now if only I knew what it were.

At first, I thought onion rings. I based this on general color, curvature, and the fact that onion rings are the only thing of that color-and-curvature combo that gamers would allow near their miniatures. I mean, it's still risky what with the crumbs and grease, but you've gotta have something.

Then came the idea of cheese curls. Which would be a terrible idea. That stuff destroys paper and cardboard products if you don't wipe your fingers after every bite; and even then you'll get a gradual accumulation of fake orange color that can't be cleansed without water. What kind of gamer allows those into the game room?

Finally, I realized something. Apple slices, dried or not. The ideal snack. Leaves no salty feel on your fingers or your tongue; gives actual nutrition.

So, in the end, I am proud to proclaim that the magical gaming food in the Card Hunter demo is APPLE SLICES. Blue Manchu establishes its position as a supporter of proper eating, and strikes a blow for health-conscious gamers everywhere.

Pixel and A Bear like this.
  17. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

"Card Hunter takes slice at Apple, details at 11" :eek:

Ystin likes this.
  18. Jon

Yes, if you mouse over a character anything in front of them fades out. It can be a bit fiddly, but I think it's workable.

Rotating ain't going to happen any time soon, though I guess it could be possible to rotate by 90 degree steps.

19. Jon

The last thing you said.

20. Falk

Falk Kobold

Backtracking a little; bad reviews are usually by people who are hyped up about something and then get disappointed. -Now- that Card Hunter has had some exposure, we'll see on its next public outing.

: pokerface :