The Legend of Dev Diary: The Diary Begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Jul 28, 2011.

1. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

There are two things:
    1. Multiple Monsters, but they are designed to work together, not apart. For example, Sandy, Mindy, and Cindy from Final Fantasy IV. In that encounter, 2 of the sisters would cast spells on the 3rd, who had "Reflect" so the spells would bounce off that character onto the player.
    2. A Single Monster made of multiple parts, with each "sub-monster" representing a different part of the creature, having its own set of HP/abilities, such as the Dragon Tank from Chrono Trigger.
    In both cases, having multiple monsters doesn't just mean more, but rather that they are used to produce a unique encounter.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Many, many bonus points for back-to-back thematically-relevant SNES RPG references. Which I understood immediately.

(SNES RPG references are common parlance, right?)

3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

He looks familiar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

there we go

Falcores likes this.
  4. Sir Knight

Ahh, dev diaries. Like the nectar of the gods, if gods were bees that collected nectar from internet sites devoted to game development:

http://www.cardhunter.com/2011/09/dev-diary-9-reactions/

Cool to see the strategic thinking.

I was reminded I had previously suggested having gameplay take a long time. (There was a concern about weird lopsided sessions from players doing high-risk/high-reward decks, and I figured that long play relative to deck size would take out a lot of imbalance.) However, the argument here for design in the opposite direction is simple: play to your strengths. The unique strength of this type of game is the deck-building component. Shorten the sessions, and players get to do the one thing they can't do elsewhere.

Okay, cool. Just a question: is the deck-building interface going to be comprehensible once you have hundreds and hundreds of items? 'Cause I liked spreading my real-world cards out over an entire bed when working on them, and my monitor is only so big.

5. SurgeonFish

Would it be better to get more monitors? I have a 3 monitor interface with plenty of room for spreading cards about and rolling in them.

6. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Interesting to see that the focus of the diary was to remove some of the complexity and " ... reduced the number of times in a turn the players have to go back and forth waiting for each other to respond (99% of the time in the negative)".

The latter problem is my great bugbear with the latest "Magic: Duel Of The Planeswalkers 2012". Perhaps Mr Elias and Dr Garfield might like to have a go at fixing that next? ;)

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I think a lot of their motivation was from trying to solve that problem - in a new game.

It is worth noting that the back and forth in the game was a lot less of a problem than in Magic since you were responding to a lot less things. However, what I think is great about the new system is that it retains the back and forth feel of a combat without the pausing and delays. I'll try to show how it works in a lot more detail in the next diary.

8. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

I'm gonna jump in here with the obligatory "not until he re-acquires and re-releases Netrunner" comment. :D

9. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Oh yes, I'd pay much hard cash for an online Netrunner!

10. Sir Knight

Online? Well . . .
    Make it "intangible mass-hallucinatory electronic cash" and you'll be closer. And I'd pay some too.

11. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Hard cash from somebody else's account, of course... :D

12. Sir Knight

Got any "volunteers"?

13. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Yes, they just know it yet...

14. SurgeonFish

Ive already posted my opinion about this under the dev diary, What do you guys think?

mightymushroom and skip_intro like this.
  15. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Want. This. Now.

16. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

There will be no shortage of good content if players can get their hands on this. This looks like as sharp and user-friendly of a toolkit as I've ever seen. As a person who played Neverwinter Nights long, long, long after most folks thanks to the wonderful modding tools, I wholeheartedly support sharing a version of this with interested players. Even if player-created scenarios can offer zero new rewards, I'd play through people's boards just for the challenge and deck testing benefits. Also, I'd make tons of boards, because that's exactly the kind of thing I like to do. Heck, the toolkit could seriously be its own game in itself for me.

Also, flowers are pretty.

Edit: Also, I don't know how pegged down y'all are on the finances of this game yet, but I would totally pay for the board editor. Players who just want to play stay free, and maniacs like me will open my wallet very willingly!

skip_intro likes this.
  17. profroche

profroche Mushroom Warrior

I just want everyone here to know that I happen to have the exact same sword that Fabio is holding in the Iron Sword box art.

SurgeonFish likes this.
  18. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Just seeing the board editor makes me happy. :)
    Being able to use it would make me happier. :)
    Even if I paid to do so. :)
    Because mushrooms are pretty. :)

By coincidence, I was thinking of this very thing right before I logged on to check the latest diary. Really! :)
    And what I was thinking was this: the Game Info page indicates a downloadable client might be available. I have no knowledge about how easy/hard it is to set up the board editor for browser access, but it's already part of the dev build for the game client. This is a great feature to include for any eventual client users. :)

19. Sir Knight

Watching that brought up a bunch of the same feelings that I had when I first played with the Warcraft II editor. As in, "Watch reality unfold beneath the stroke of my hand!" This has a very nice plus, in that the doodads do not have to strictly conform to the square boundaries in order to function. The visual is vastly improved.

E.g., flowers are pretty.

So are mushrooms and skeletons. Perhaps dice.

Now, am I correct in extrapolating that the board must conform to a rectangle? As in, no funky Z-shapes, T-shapes, or squiggles? The manner in which that board expanded under the mouse looked like it.

20. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I understand "blocking terrain." But what does it mean to be "difficult to traverse?" Are you saying that some tiles require more than one movement point?

P.S. I notice that "Victory" is also a terrain movement type. I guess that confirms that not all battles will be to the bitter end - just to the door!