The Legend of Dev Diary: The Diary Begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Class is now in session!

The new dev diary is out, all about classes and races.
    [​IMG]
    Including the first previewed female playable character.
    She looks spritely to me, an Jon says she's sprightly as well. Elven Wizard: magical and acrobatic. :)

Well, it's an interesting diary for certain. We've discussed deckbuilding and equipment so much that it hardly seems there is anything new to learn, and yet it confirms much that was only speculation before. Plus it has that new diary smell.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have a little concern about the visual difference between Priests and Warriors; both are wearing fairly heavy armor. Frankly, the Human Warrior, with his white and gold accents, looks more stereotypically holy to me. But I'm sure that will sort itself out with experience.

It's now confirmed that class and race add unique slots for deckbuilding. These slots seem to be the main way that items are restricted to particular characters: Wizards only use staffs and not swords, for example.
    Edit: It seems a safe guess that some slots can be the same between classes, viz. the Priest and Warrior both dressed in heavy armor. (Unless that's because he's a Dwarf . . .) Are there items which fit more than one slot? For instance, a Lost Angel's Sword that fits both the "warrior" and "divine" weapon categories?

Perhaps I'm slow today, but I'm a little unclear on how the skill slots work. It sounds like you have pool of potential skills that you choose from when filling your slots, just like gear. But it also sounds like some things are automatic: you have intrinsic racial abilities. And, how does experience/level play into all this? We figured the Superb Tactics origin of the Inspirational Thinking card is a skill; if so, anything "Superb" sounds like it won't be available at the start.

2. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Why is she scary looking? I feel like if she was my wife, she would stab me in my sleep

3. mightymushroom

She looks to me like she's tired of being propositioned by tavern louts. Few things give a guy second thoughts like a stabbing or two.

4. SurgeonFish

The way it seems it looks like to me is as a certain race you'll be allowed to equip the weapon and slots of your race. I.E. you might have a Axe that any melee can use, then you might have a Dwarven Axe that only dwarves can use. Here is an example from another game.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4287/dwarfdax001.jpg

Assuming anything with a Dwarven name or Dwarven suite (similar the way Chainmail is part of the Old Chainmail Equipment Suite), thats how i see it working out for different races. All in all you probably dont have to equip anything related to your race if you dont want.

Edit: that female elf looks like she spends a lot of time in the bathroom doing her hair, i would not want to go out on a date with her, she would be that lady who shows up an hour late cause she couldn't finish her hair on time.

5. mightymushroom

Perhaps I should elaborate; my previous reference to being a Dwarf was a true parenthetical and not an example. What I was trying to say is that the way the dev diary explains it, there are few, if any, slot types in common between the classes: for weapons, Warriors get all things sharp and/or pointy; Priests get get "divine," whatever that means; Wizards don't have regular weapons but do get a staff. I was wondering if some items could belong to two categories and thus be equipped in "different" slots, such as an angelic sword being a weapon type normally for warriors but in this case with divine properties. Another example could be a Bonecruncher Staff -- it sounds as though Wizard staffs aren't normally much of a weapon, but this one could be three Bash cards and a Block. That might be something equally usable by Warriors and Wizards.

Just another way of asking about cross-class items, really.

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

No, there aren't items that fit into more than one slot. Each item goes into exactly one slot type only. We did debate this back and forth for a while, but we chose to keep the system as clear and straightforward as possible. It's not really much of a restriction since a lot of slot types share cards between themselves anyway. For example, weapons and staves have some melee attack cards in common, helmets and armor share some cards, etc.

Skills are exactly like equipment, i.e. you put them into slots and get the cards associated with them. The only differences are that they go into specific skill slots (some of which are racial specific) and the cards that are associated with them are generally quite different to equipment based cards.

We did have plans to make skills work quite differently from equipment, including having them be awarded on level up, having trees that you worked your way through and so on. But we recently ditched all that because we felt, again, that the added complexity wasn't paying off in terms of interesting choices.

The level thing is pretty straightforward and works like most RPGs (I should have mentioned this in the diary). Every item has a minimum level required for use - your character can only equip it if they are at or above that level (this is for single-player only!).

7. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Awesome update, and now I'm brimming with even more questions:

1. I like how the skills work a lot like equipment--will skills be found like gear in a dungeon, given all together at the start, or chosen at specific intervals?
    2. I really dig the classic classes and the flexibility kitting them out appears to give. Does the 3 class/3 race combos mean we have 9 unique heroes to pick from every time we start an adventure, or could I field a team of three dwarven warriors? How will experience be handled within my character pool? Do I as a player level up, or each hero gain xp as I use them?
    3. If the thief dosent come out initially, will he be appearing later? What about that barbarian we saw before?

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I've continued to wonder whether the barbarian were a monster/foe in the first place. Like bandits.

In general, I'm pleased by this diary. All the pieces are coming together and I don't have particularly much to say. Yup. Keep it up!

P.S.: "That new diary smell"?

9. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I'd thought the same thing, but this picture seems to indicate otherwise:

[​IMG]

10. SurgeonFish

[​IMG]
    Barbarian is your sexy man friend

11. Jon

As always, don't read too much into Ben's drawings :)

The barbarian figure is one we're currently intending to use as a Warrior variant. Or we might save it for the future if we do a Warrior sub-class that doesn't use armor.

12. Jon

1. Yep, we were planning to hand out skills at level up but we decided to use them as adventure loot instead so that you can go back and gather all the skills. We figured people would want to get a complete set of multi-player and that doesn't sit well with the traditional skill-tree approach.

2. You'll have a roster of characters. You could just keep three or you could assemble a bigger team and rotate through them. Each character gets experience and levels separately.

3. The rogue is planned but we haven't done much work on the card/item set for it yet. We are, however, putting aside various abilities and card types with the intention of doing it eventually. See above for my comments on the barbarian.

13. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

We have cosmetic variants to pick from? Very interesting...

14. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

Depending on how easy it is to create classes in their toolset, this could have interesting implications in scripted scenarios. For example, you might be tasked to defend an old dwarf who only has armor slots and a low default movement card. Enemies may or may not follow player class conventions - Goblins might have their own specific slot configuration or classes; and it would up to the player to discover it and figure them out over time, only to find Elite Goblins with enhanced configurations later on!

15. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Oooooooooooh!

16. mightymushroom

Based on a previous comment, I don't think the devs kit out monsters through an equivalent of the user interface that we'll be using, with specific, labeled slots. It rather sounds like their toolset is able to add anything at will -- which doesn't mean there is no reasonableness in monsters, just that the number of combinations is that much greater. We might be seeing new monster/NPC "classes" on every map.

17. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

I disagree. It would be nice to select permadeath difficulty setting for my campaign. If I die, all my gear I took with me and on my mule is gone and the character I was leveling is dead as well. It gives may players a challenge in getting to end game besides brute force attempts at every dungeon. I strongly recommend adding it.

18. robotman

robotman Kobold

must have please send download link

19. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card