The Legend of Dev Diary: The Diary Begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Jul 28, 2011.

1. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

The old 'gun fight in an elevator' gag never wears thin.

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Ha! I like the idea, but no the figures don't ever leave the board. I just added the 5x5 wall rectangle to show that you were trapped.

3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, used to tactical board figurine miniatures moving in bigger spaces then 3x3. Not saying its impossible, just kinda awkward to be rubbing butts with your cleric while in the face of the enemy. My cleric has cooties and is a fat ugly female.

4. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

You should totally try a sight-blocking terrain type(s). You could use the same sort of idea to do rooms with closed doors. If it doesn't work right away, put it on the content update wish list. :)

Your party stands on the stained flagstones of the ancient arena. Having defeated the craven goblins in front of the roaring crowd, two portals now loom before you. Will you choose the Lady, or the Tiger?

5. SurgeonFish

Pretty sure that would take some feel out of the game being a board game mixed with card game. Granted it would be something most card games dont have, it may take a little away from the experience, but we as people outside development cant confirm any of that.

6. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Well, I did say try.

Exploration is a big part of the dungeon crawl experience for me. I accept your reservations, though. I'm approaching this very much from an RPG background, so I tend to overlook concerns particular to card & board games.

7. SurgeonFish

I don't foresee the boards of the game being very big, maybe 25x25 being something common. Line of sight(As far as vision of the board is concerned, not LOS for casting or throwing) and exploration doesnt make as much sense unless it takes forever to move (say going one square in a turn)

8. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I'm with mightymushroom on the feel of this. The idea that there might be something around the corner that you don't know about, holding a sharp bit of iron is something ingrained in RPGs, I think.

9. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Hidden things do sort of exist in board games as well--not placing all the pieces until an event triggers them, or hiding what is truly there (al la Stratego). I personally would think it advantageous for a computer board game to be able to implement something like fog of war if it wanted to, even if a real board game could not. Its similar to the advantage computers give to allow Card Hunter to have an otherwise unwieldy library of hundreds of enemies, items, and cards at our fingertips. Or to make complicated rules resolutions flow in a snap.

10. SurgeonFish

I prefer to stick to hidden events as special abilities that pop up in the draw of the cards from enemies. After the first time being surprised in a board its really hard to be surprised again unless the enemy does something different during the fight.

11. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

But that's the same as seeing that Orc Warrior #1 has a 'Flaming Sword' - the first time it's a surprise, the next time(s) not so much.

12. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Semi-random spawns could be a possibility. Likewise, once you search 100% of a map, maybe it could be an award to have the map be clear for all your future plays. That would also make it interesting for when you think you've seen it all on a board, but still havent unlocked the map.

13. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm now thinking of scanner "blips" in Space Hulk. The Genestealer player must have tokens on the board in order to physically move something around, but the Marine player won't know the exact composition of enemy forces until he/she gets a visual on the blips.

Might be another possibility, though it wouldn't have as much of an in-game explanation for this fantasy world.

Also, as to exploration: don't forget that each module is itself a series of different boards. You don't know for sure what's behind "the door" each time you go to a new board. There might even be random variation in the boards, or diverging board sequences, if the creators feel like it.

14. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

That's basically how Claustrophobia handles it. Basically the "dungeon" is a series of tiles that are, in most cases, randomly laid out as you explore. So until you go down a particular path, there is no way any player would know what's in store.

15. SurgeonFish

I think BlueManchu is to busy playing Orcs Must Die! and not posting another dev diary =P

BTW, i got the chance to play it last night. Stayed up till 1am. had to be at work by 6am. Should have my skeleton minion bring me coffee

16. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I thought you were the skeleton minion. Just like how sokolov is, personally, Cactuar.

A Bear is a bear, what's the problem?

17. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I can verify this.

SurgeonFish likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Mea culpa. I forgot to write or organise a diary yesterday but will get one up today.

19. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

And, yes, OMD might have had something to do with it.

20. SurgeonFish

I just got the flame ring, so badass. Hope you guys are having a blast like i am with it =)