The Legend of Dev Diary: The Diary Begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Nope! The blue rectangle shows the board's outer bounds, but you can draw any shape you like inside it. We have many non-rectangular boards already.

mightymushroom likes this.
  2. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I would think that difficult to traverse terrain will need extra movement points--this, combined with "victory squares" seems to indicate I might want to think about adding a fast-moving character to my potential crew to slip through brush or between foes to reach a goal when things go sideways.

3. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

"Difficult" terrain might be stopping terrain - you can move into it, but you can't dash through it. That would fit jumping into a river.

Runners make good sense - if you know beforehand what kind of battle you're getting into.

Jon likes this.
  4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Correct, difficult terrain is identical to a square adjacent to an enemy - you must stop when you enter it.

5. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Are rogues still free to pass through these trouble spots? If so, good strategy with regards to party composition gains yet another interesting wrinkle...

6. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

With every blog post, I am more and more impressed with this team. Internal tools is an often overlooked and under-appreciated side of the development process that tends to bite you in the ass in the long run if neglected, and Jon and Co seem to have invested in tools early - which will pay off in the long run.

7. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Since we're talking about the boards, this is the best chance I've had to ask about "fog of war." One thing that computer games do more easily than physical games is to keep track of line of sight and which tiles are revealed or hidden. Will that exploration be part of the dungeon crawling? I can see pros and cons either way.

8. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Interesting point--because the board game feel of Card Hunter makes me think possibly not, while the video game feel makes me think possibly so. The spawn points make it clear that expectations can change on the board whether fog of war exists or not, but part of me still yearns for the chance to explore every nook and cranny for surprises.

9. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Hmm, you two guys set up a shield wall there and I'll dash to the VP. No retreat, no surrender!

10. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

"You see 60' then darkness" was an habitual description when I played D&D. :D

11. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

If we had to pay to use the map editor i wouldnt be "as" happy, but i would buy it anyway. It took him 3 mins to make a map like that and even though its small and unusable in the normal setting (thats how it appears anyway, cant fit 3 heroes + 3 enemies and expect them to fight on something so small) I could see myself putting together some really elaborate things.

12. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I took the example to be a small 'tile' which would get built into a bigger map.

13. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Most likely. I'm sure that was his video on explaining how the map worked so anyone in their "Office/Skype" could pick it up and make something real fast to test whatever.

14. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Yes, I'd like that 'sharing a map' feature too. Imagine a library of pieces ready to slot together... Still. Want. Now.

15. Jon

Not rogues specifically, but they might well have move cards that allow that.

16. Jon

No, there's no fog of war in the game at the moment. I have been considering adding a terrain type that is "fog" or "mist" that you can attack into or move through but which blocks line of sight. I still don't think we'd physically hide any characters in it though.

17. Jon

It's not unusable! Farbs made a 3x3 map last week ("Well") and we played a game on it. It was actually really fun!

SurgeonFish likes this.
  18. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Small maps are always very welcome if y'all are going to launch a mobile version as mentioned in the FAQ. I really enjoy a lot of my mobile games, but more often than not I don't have the time to sit down for an hour and poke at my iPhone.

19. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

well.jpg
    Here's the well. Most boards are much bigger, but I figured it'd be fun to try this out.

A Bear likes this.
  20. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I like it. Obviously, three starting points on each side for the players . . . and the stuff that brought them all down here in the middle. Reach for the gold, and you're within axe range. But that's okay; you brought your own.

You should use that in the final game. The "insanely close-quarters battle" is one of those end-cases that people enjoy seeing at least once.

Also, I note that your 3x3 map has a wall around it sticking into 5x5 land. It looks good, yes, but does it say something about how map edges work in your editor? I.e., are map edges solid or not? (Can your little figures run off of the board and dash around the table?)