The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Chalchu's Hammer
    Chalchu's Hammer (P)
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    There are no divine weapons with more than 4 vamp attacks so in that regard Chalchu's Hammer is above average. It also only requires a single token though vamps are one of the easiest builds to budget tokens with. What it really boils down to is how good Sapping Spears are. Personally, I think they're too weak. In a vacuum, Sapping Spear generates a 4 point life swing so it is the equivalent of a Bludgeon. Of course it's a lot better when you factor in Talented Healer and buffs but I really don't like running attacks that rely so heavily on other cards. That said, the two Unnerving Strikes do make up for lost damage. Chalchu's Hammer is a perfectly reasonable weapon but I would never run it over Vampire's Blade or Bynzer's Black Spear on a vamp. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Vamps are good for lower levels when you need a melee character but Vampire's Blade is good enough. Loner does kill you a fair amount on maps with a lot of mobs but you generally want wizards for those anyways. If you're running a buff priest that needs a low cost divine weapon, Sacrificial Axe ability to dig through your deck is more valuable than doing a bit more damage with your support character. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Bad Juju Mace (R) (minortoken), Xipe's Maquah (E) (minortoken)(minortoken): Unnerving Strike
    Vampire's Blade (R): Vamp attacks
    Single minor token weapons can be very good as they free up a token to be used elsewhere - the gap between tokenless and minor token items is often very large. But this relies on the single minor token weapon is still playable; in this case, I concluded... not quite. A vamp will usually want better vamp attacks, and the Unnerving Strikes, while good, don't really make up for this. This is playable, but there are better options out there to be honest.
    I have 2, never purchased, used once or twice, would not purchase.

Epics:
    Blackhammer
    This item probably sees the least play out of all the artifacts with the Wings Of Faith, and Impetuous Heal being the hardest to build for. I have used it on a few builds for wicked waterways - but since moved on.

Croker's Lucky Laser Shield
    Ok I guess, I would usually go for a shield with Defender's Block or Parry though...

Lightfoot Robes
    There are plenty of places to get tokenless Flanking Move, especially with a mediocre third card

Notable Rares:
    Focused Pyromancy
    Essential for all your burning wizards

Infused Greatclub
    Top heavy, but just playable... sees more use in SP

2. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Aork's Vial Of Memories
    Aork's Vial Of Memories (N)
    Counterspell seems like it would be a fantastic anti-wizard card but in practice it often doesn't reach its full potential. In order to get the 2 for 1 you need one of two things to happen. Option A: you walk into line of sight of a wizard, they throw a spell at you, Counterspell's roll misses, and they have 2 more spells in hand. Option B: your opponent graciously walks his or her wizard into range with 2 spells in hand. Neither of those are very likely. How about if you draw a Counterspell at the beginning of your turn and you have priority? Well you could fire it off immediately but all your opponent's traits are still unresolved. Not only would you whiff but those traits could cycle into spells. Counterspell has some value against priests but they are even less likely to have 2 spells at any given moment and non-vamps don't have a reason to expose themselves. Most can stay back or hide behind cover and buff away. If you want a real wizard hoser go for Smoke Bomb. Would not purchase.

Counterspell does not discard or block projectiles and the majority of magic using mobs pack magic blocks of their own. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Cobalt's Chalice (E) (majortoken), Flicker's Earcuff (E) (majortoken)
    Aork's Vial Of Memories
    Discarding two spells is definitely great against wizards, and sometimes priests. The main problem with Counterspell is enemy wizards will likely be targeting your wizard with their spells, which may trigger the block part of Counterspell. This is why you need to try to get priority to fire it off at the start of a round. However, your opponent may have some unresolved traits in hand at the start of the round, causing your Counterspell to hit nothing. I still think Counterspell is a decent card but in general I would prefer Illusory Barrier or Smoke Bomb against wizards, because those are guaranteed to work, and you don't need to have line of sight to an enemy wizard.
    peonprop and gingrich do a good job of highlighting the downsides of this one - that it is difficult to get full value out of the card and get 2 opponent discards for your one card. You need a wizard with an opponent wizard (possibly priest) at range six, or less; after their first turn of a round to avoid hitting resolving traits, avoid any blocks, and hope they have two magic cards in hand. It is not impossible, just hard to pull off and there are better strategies out there. It is another one of those, that makes sense in theory, but in practice it never really fills up to the billing. I would add my voice to my predecessors and recommend Smoke Bomb or Illusory Barrier for anti wizard strategies. they are both well itemized for minor tokens, allowing you to spend your majors on the all important staffs.
    I have one, bought it (for the uniqueness mainly, and had cash on hand), used it once or twice, would not purchase.

Epics:
    Runcible's Bracelet
    And here is your tokenless Counterspell... not as good as Brin's Spiked Rod, but then that is a legendary. I can think of better tokenless choice too.

Sharp Flames
    I am not losing possible extra traits (and getting Hot Flames) for Stone Spikes and Glob Of Flame all at the cost of a TOKEN!

Slice And Dice
    A nice item... I would likely go for Nova Axe or Rageblood Dagger, but there is a lot to like about this one.

Notable Rares:
    Argy Bargy Brand Sneakers
    Aloyzo items are definitely "notable"

Blood Locket
    Focused, and knows what it it trying to do

Evil Hourglass
    Only source of Doom, good for taking out bosses like Blizkenripper and the Werecake

Sacrificial Axe
    Popular tokenless divine item that adds two traits (albeit potentially painful) and some useful attacks

3. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Sander's Force Mirror
    Based on power level alone, Force Cone is weaker than control spells that allow you to choose where targets end up. The more walls or impassable terrain a map has the worse it gets. However, Force Cone has two qualities that no other control spell has both of. It is able to hit multiple targets and you can get multiple copies per token spent. There's also a slight advantage in not being a targeted spell but that isn't going to be relevant often. Being so map dependent, Sander's Force Mirror is not going to be better than something like Ring Of Appropriation most of the time so I would not prioritize it highly. However, if there's one place Force Cone shines it's Death March league. You never have to worry about walls getting in the way and you can shove any number of opposing characters away from the victory point without worrying about Smoke Bombs or Illusory Barriers. Pick it up if you plan on grinding Death March leagues or have a lot of spare gold. Would not purchase otherwise.

Force Cone is amazing for keeping mobs without blocks at bay but at the end of the day it's still a control spell. Every copy of Force Cone you put into your deck takes a place that should go to a hard working Firestorm instead. Playing keep away is nice but killing everything outright is better. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Ring Of Appropriation (E) (minortoken)
    peonprop, nails it on the head in the above review... most of the time Ring Of Appropriation or Luke's Iron Hand(depending on the map) will be the better option, because you can choose where they go, and blocked terrain is no problem. The place where I do use this a lot is death march, so if you want to build towards Force Cone in a focused way nothing is better.
    I have 4, bought my first copy, used in leagues, would purchase if you want to do the same.

Epics:
    Bump In The Night
    Tokenless Telekinesis and two traits is not to be sniffed at, but I rarely use this because the spirit card pool is very weak.

Dusk And Dawn
    Great Aloyzo addition... It would see use if I ever got round to building and play testing that Walpurgis Night deck.

Heavy Mace
    I have been playing long enough that I have a decent recollection of most items, but I had totally forgotten this existed... literally the definition of a forgettable item.

Notable Rares:
    Focused Dervish
    Wind dancer is definitely playable and this is the best way to get it. Synergizes with a lot of different strategies.

4. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Yount's Chain
    Not much to say here. Burning wizards don't want it and it doesn't have enough Counterspells in case you're building for a wizard heavy field. Would not purchase.

A lot of magic using mobs have their own magic blocks so Counterspell doesn't land reliably if you lead off with it. Every other spell you use to bait them out is time you're giving the AI to empty its hand. You can use it as a block but who wants to add more blocks when you could be casting spells instead? Also, Glob Of Flame works best against the high hp bosses that you can focus single target attacks on but they are mostly melee focused. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Tarial's Diadem
    See the post from two days ago about Aork's Vial Of Memories for better chat about Counterspell. The skinny is that most burning wizards don't want it. Their best route to success is just to out damage opponent wizards, or cut out the line of sight. If I spend a major token on an arcane item for a burning wizards, the top of my list would be Flame Warper(for Accelerate Time) or Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire(for the armor removal).
    I own one, never purchased, never used, would not purchase.

Epics:
    Raging Rock
    Compare to the popular Lucky Toughness, but I have used this one before for Toughness and two decent traits

True Mail
    Not that much worse than the legendary option for single token Reliable Mail

Untouchable Plate
    My go to Arrogant Armor for priests

Notable Rares:
    Nuclear Pistol
    Easily obtainable, early source of Volcano

Sir Veza and compasses like this.
  5. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Bloody Stoutness
    Bloody Stoutness (P)
    Bloody Stoutness is the best minor token Duck skill but it still isn't anything special. Duck is going to be a bad Shield Block the majority of the time. If you block something from a different class, you're probably not going to be able to use the card as effectively as a random card from your own deck. You're also likely getting a weaker test attack over something decent. The same goes for Bloodied Block. There are much better defensive options when it comes to dwarf skills. Unless you're Blind Rage cycling on a tokenless skill, you need a pretty good reason to not run something with Toughness. Would not purchase.

It is usually better to go in guns blazing than play defensively. You are heavily outnumbered on most maps so you are getting hit no matter how many blocks you run. Clever positioning and movement management is a much more effective way of avoiding damage. It's much more important to pick up Raging Battler or Apprentice Ferocity if you're going to splurge on a dwarf skill. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Lucky Toughness (C) (minortoken), Advanced Toughness (U) (minortoken), Raging Rock (E) (minortoken), Perfect Toughness (C) (Major token), Solid Rock (C) (Major token), Superb Stoutness (E) (Major token)
    On the Toughness / Duck debate, I come down firmly on the side of toughness. Duck is ok for a bit of fun and unpredictability now and then but toughness is the card you want. Save yourself the cash and go for Lucky Toughness or Raging Rock.
    I have 3, never purchased, used once or twice, would not purchase..

Epics:
    Tarial's Diadem
    Just a bit unfocused for serious use

Trained Combustion
    Don't trade traits for average extra attacks, go for Focused Pyromancy instead

Yoloxl's Staff
    At least this item knows what it wants to be, it could fit in as part of a max control deck... just don't ask me to play against it

Notable Rares:
    Auric Charm
    Decent Inspiring Presence item

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  6. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Kristoph's Skull
    Cause Fumble is a narrow but powerful card that requires a lot of commitment. You lose slots normally reserved for buffs or vamp attacks and give up some win percentage against wizards in exchange for melee blocks for the whole party Kristoph's Skull is a decent item but doesn't fit well in a Cause Fumble deck and vampires who want as many attacks as possible don't want it either. I would recommend getting items that cater to either build better, 2-3 Cause Fumbles or 3 vamp attacks. Notable items include Crespin's Shroud, Oquith's Choking Incense, Oquith's Foul Incense, Flax's Thirsty Vial, Wuuna's Vampiric Shroud, Hand Of Melvelous, and Glasod's Dark Skull. Would not purchase.

Cause Fumble is pretty much inferior in most situations to Impenetrable Nimbus. There are no Purge effects in the campaign (aside from Blizzard Breath in Black Plume Mountain) so you only need to worry about it getting knocked off with multiple attachments. Move the Nimbused character into the middle of the fray and the rest of the party can wait for the AI to exhaust its attacks before moving in. If you're in the market for vamp attacks there are better items for those as well. Would not purchase.
    A bit too unfocused for me. If you want Cause Fumble I would go for Crespin's Shroud as you get two copies, and the purge is always useful. If you want vamp attacks, there are tonnes of other ways to get them that don't involve paying a token for Spear Of Darkness
    I own two, never purchased, never used, would not purchase

Epics:
    Aataabulous's Boots
    What awful boots! for a major no less!

Kerrick's Steel Boots
    That's better... if you want the extra armor. Good for cost effective SP farming

Master's Battleaxe
    I have used as a chop weapon in SP, but outclassed in MP

Notable Rares:
    Overheated Force Suit
    Lava Pool and Force Field are good, shame about the other one

Ghoul's Rags
    Decent tokenless armor, with a deck shrinking trait as well.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  7. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Quornic's Battleaxe
    This item is not good, mostly because half the item is Perforating Strike. If the enemy has no armor, it is barely better than a Bludgeon. Even if they have Monstrous Hide, Strong Hack will do the same damage. A single Obliterating Chop is not a good enough redeemable feature. Save your tokens and cash, and wait for The Strongarm instead.
    I don't own one, and I am not at all tempted

Epics:
    Dark Chain Shirt
    Probably the best tokenless pure armor for your priest.

Tarial's Diadem
    My opinion hasn't changed two days later: Just a bit unfocused for serious use.

Venerable Positioning
    Best Delegate item in my opinion. Although the Retreat on Make Haste is attractive, the trait swings it to this for me.

Notable Rares:
    Focused Pyromancy
    Burning wizards, accept no immitations...

Sticky Slippers
    Double Immovable is great, I use these shoes often.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  8. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

^being lazy today :p

Epics:
    Jygpin's Healing Ring
    Pretty good if you want Inspiring Presence and a bunch of extra healing, but my favourite inspiring presence minor token item is still the legendary Xlaka's Sacred Bundle

St. Oliander's Tome
    Not good enough to spend a major token on, I don't want any of these cards that much

Tainted Vampirism
    3 traits for a minor, would be good if Vampiric Form was any good

Notable Rares:
    Ancient Heirloom Shield
    Sometimes you may want the 3x free card blocks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  9. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Yochxti's Sacred Bundle
    Another great (in theory) item, that doesn't really stand up to the billing. In theory you can get 27 points of healing from this item which is great. But in practice, any decent opponent will focus damage on a single one of your characters as that is a better strategy. It is true that, skilled players will cycle characters around to try and save them, but that is hardly guaranteed, and very risky occurrence to build a deck around. So the chances are you will not be able to get full use out of this - even when accounting for the fact that a spare Triple Heal can be used as a block check. Just spend your minor token on a common Silver Healing Ring and call it a day.
    I have 3, never purchased, never used, would not purchase.

Epics:
    Croker's Lucky Laser Shield
    3 block anything cards, two that draw a card is pretty good, but there are probably better shield choices out there.

Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire
    Useful item for a burning wizards. Combines two things that they need - extra burning attacks and armor removal... If you can spare a major token.

Savage Plates
    There are plenty better items to get extra frenzies from that aren't minor token armor

Notable Rares:
    Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Fine item containing Frenzy Aura with some decent armor

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  10. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Vira's Shimmering Robes
    Shimmering Aura is a dead card way too often too play in the average build. The one deck it worked in, Firestorm, is no longer viable and Vira's Shimmering Robes wasn't even the best choice for robes. If you want to shut down wizard attacks go with Resistant Hide. You can only have one copy in your deck but once you draw it you will be nearly invincible against spell slingers. Would not purchase.

Are you tired of killing yourself with your own Firestorms? Do you wish that there was a robe that was half decent at protecting yourself? Well tough cookies. You are going to play Firehide Robes and you are going to like it. If you are truly having problems staying alive try getting Reliable Mail boots like Kerrick's Steel Boots or using an Impenetrable Nimbus priest. There is no reason to buy Vira's Shimmering Robes when there are plenty of Resistant Hide robes available. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Shimmering Robe (E) (minortoken), Imp-proof Robes (C)
    Vira's Shimmering Robes
    Shimmering Aura is a bad card. Wizards are the least common class right now and even against wizards, Shimmering Aura isn't great. It's a bit too unreliable for something that's meant to counter magic. In a wizard heavy meta, I'll still wouldn't use this item. Of all the things to get on Robes, magic-specific armor is low on my list. And if you really wanted Shimmering Aura on Robes for some reason, you can get 2 for tokenless on Bimson's Glowstone Robes. Would not purchase.
    Not much to add to the above reviews, Shimmering Aura is too hit or miss to place in a MP deck. Particularly as you can expect to see warriors on all board rotations.
    I don't own it, not going to buy, would not purchase,

Epics:
    Salazar's Sandals
    Non-legendary Team Walk for a minor is good, Energizing Move
    is good... but then you have to be able to deal with the Rusty Armor,

Vinorkin's Boots
    Another playable set of boots, with two strong cards and one weak. I have used these on maps where Jump Back fits well.

Wlakwa's Boots
    And rounding out the trio of playable (but flawed) boots is this one. Again you get two strong cards, and one weak. But this time you have to pay a major token for it.

Notable Rares:
    Flametouched Spear
    Really interesting item: only way to get Boiling Armor on a warrior (and not on a wizard). Unfortunately it doesn't quite compare with the popular Double-edged Sword for damage output so doesn't see play. And warriors have access to Sundering Strike anyway...

11. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Advanced Crushing
    Advanced Crushing (P)
    Crusher is one of those cards that seems great but looks can be deceiving. If you look at the all the contenders for best weapon there are shockingly few that are crushing weapons. Heck, most of them don't even have crushing attacks. All you get when you play crushing attacks is damage with a side order of more damage (excluding Bashes which have their own more reasonably costed trait). The minor token Advanced Crushing requires commits you to the cause but while you gain in raw power you lose out on versatility. Would not purchase.

Damage wins out over tricky stuff against the AI so boosting high damage weapons even more is not too shabby. However, you get more damage out of your tokens from weapons so you don't have tokens to spare till level 11. Once you get sufficient major tokens you can just start using Bejeweled Shortsword for your obscene damage needs. The level range where Advanced Crushing excels doesn't have any modules where melee farming is faster than wizards in my opinion though maybe that's my Firestorm addiction talking. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None
    I am a bit higher on advanced crushing than peonprop for a number of reasons. +2 is a great bonus, and it last for 3 turns compared to other common buffs such as Mass Frenzy or Blind Rage (stacking damage with these is easy as well). The downside, that peon alludes to is that there is a very narrow set of builds that this works for, because there are not many weapons out there that have enough crushing attacks to make it worthwhile to run this card. I can only think of a few and they come with their own drawbacks. Something like this may have success:
    Korik
    Level 24 Human Warrior
    I wouldn't recommend getting this, unless you think that you might be running a lot of crushing. I have three, never purchased, and have used from time to time.

Epics:
    Reclusive Resilience
    Antimagic Skin for a minor, I prefer Unyielding Resilience for epic, or wait for the legendary Raging Resilience

Stalking Vampirism
    The vampire tokenless form item... good enough for low level SP, but Vampiric Form is a bit outclassed in MP by a vampire you build yourself

Terminator Mask
    I don't like Advanced Battlefield Training so prefer, Spacediver's Face Screen

Notable rares:
    Epigenetic Eraser
    AA item, only way to get the powerful Destructive Purge on a minor token divine item. Have to get a good use for the other cards though

Sacrificial Axe
    Sees a lot of play for the 2 deck shrinking (albeit dangerous) traits, and the strong attacks. All for tokenless!

12. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Glasod's Dark Thighbone
    Wow, third time out for one of my own reviews in the short time I have been doing this:
    The Peonprop review was written before the balance changes two (three???) years ago. Savage Curse got a pretty hard nerf down from add 4 damage plus discard, to frenzy 3 plus discard. This really pushed it out of all playability for most builds. It probably sees more use as an actual curse on opposition warriors these days to force a discard. I am not as down on Soothing Darkness as Peonprop, but it certainly has its limitations. So, that being said, do you want this item? probably not... as it is a mish mash of different cards that might have some use in their own right, but don't really add up to anything coherent, unlike most of the best legendaries.
    I have 3, never used it, would not purchase...
    Epics:
    Savage Tome
    Not bad, but after the nerfed Savage Curse is problematic

Vigilant Panoply
    The Shimmering Aura is the problematic card on this one. I prefer Galvanized Zombie Plates for the key card on this one.

Vigun's Blessed Blade
    good item... this one is only beaten by the legendary tokenless weapons

Notable Rares:
    Nothing really pops out for me today...

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Sorry for the late review today - I had a busy night yesterday
    Pergop's Slippers
    Pergop's Slippers
    Violent Spin is an extremely versatile card. It's an unblockable multitarget Push card that not only allows you to put distance between you and the enemy but also lets you take over occupied victory squares if need be. If you're wondering what the difference between Push and Slide are, Push allows you to choose facings. You guessed it, even an opponent chock full of blocks is one Violent Spin away from a back attack if they don't have a way to turn around. Position your troops correctly and Violent Spin can even be an pseudo Team Walk. So why isn't Violent Spin tearing up the metagame? It's partially due to item availability but mostly it's because of a high opportunity cost. Violent Spin is mostly a defensive card. Melee characters would rather have something that helps them chase down targets and wizards can get similar effects using minor tokens or less. Still, it's powerful enough to be a great asset in the right build so I would recommend giving it a spin if you haven't already. It should be noted that Zachary's Boots are a fine substitute so I'd only purchase Pergop's Slippers if you've got spare gold or have an unnatural love of Violent Spin.

Even if you wanted to spend a major token for Violent Spin boots, the difference between Toughened Hide Strips and Weakened Armor is way too small to splurge on the legendary. If you lose a game using Zachary's Boots in which Pergop's Slippers would have saved the day, I will eat my hat. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be looking for a mini fez. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Zachary's Boots (E) (majortoken)
    Violent Spin is what you're here for so, that is going to be the focus of this discussion. It is a great card, peon puts it best when he says "unblockable multitarget Push card". Nothing can completely change the field like violent spin, but it has gone out of fashion a little bit, and I really can't put my finger on exactly why - maybe others can chime in? The major token is a pretty steep price to pay for it on this particular item. But the value is always going to be up there as it is a gold card. The epic substitute is almost as good, but if you have the spare cash this is not a bad purchase
    I have 3, never purchased, used a bit, would not recommend

Epics:
    Healing Hand Mace
    A popular item as it contains big hitting attacks and plenty of heals. I don't use it as Team Heal is not the most efficient, and I prefer Evensong

Reclusive Resilience
    This is a case where the legendary items are worth going for... If you want Antimagic Skin that is

Sturdy Mail
    Decent alternative to the legendary Reliable Mail option

Notable Rares:
    Lantern Helm
    Good Sprint, Team! item, with a deck sprinking trait

Monsterbane Axe
    Great damage dealing priest item, if you like that sort of thing

14. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Sundersong
    Sundersong
    Sundering Strike is pretty good right now. There are a lot of armors around, including ones like Monstrous Hide. However, Sundersong still isn't good. First of all, there's that Able Bludgeon which really shouldn't be there. Next, it gives no mobility at all, and the total damage is pretty low. You are spending 2 major tokens for 45 damage and no movement. There's also the problem that Sundering Strike is unreliable. If an enemy armor needs a die roll to trigger, it may not trigger on Sundering Strike, so the armor may not be discarded. Overall, there's really no need to have so many copies of armor removal, just a Troll's Ire or The Inquisition will suffice.
    Gingrich's review pretty much covers it, there are more Sundering Strikes than you need in sundersong. The only thing that he doesn't mention is that sundering also helps against Toughness (something not everyone knows).
    I have 2, never purchased, never used, would not purchase...

Epics:
    Eych's Amulet
    One of the better minor token Reflexive Teleport items

Keen Baselard
    A bit imbalanced, but has some playable cards

Staff Of The Fire God
    Pretty good fire staff... but gets outclassed by the legendary ones

Notable Rares:
    Rod Of Winds
    Some people like whirlwind... I am not one of them

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Sir Veza and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  15. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Illusion
    Illusion (N)
    Illusory Barrier is obviously best against wizards but if you combine it with enough copies of Telekinesis you can keep melee characters at bay too. Cards like Gusts Of War do not work as well as you can only slide enemy characters back on top of your walls instead of Flying them back behind them, thus requiring an additional movement to claw their way back. While Illusion is a very powerful item, it is also high risk. Control wizards usually don't have damaging attacks on their arcane items. By playing Illusion, your wizard cuts back on 5 additional attacks in favor of speed bumps/one way mirrors. Should the rest of your team die, you are basically limited to victory point wins which can be very difficult depending on the map. Illusion is definitely an item that you need to build around and it is not for everyone. If you like running up and smacking people Illusion is not for you. If you like trapping your opponents and laughing maniacally while they squirm around like rats in a maze you might want to spend some more time with your therapist. Also, you might want to pick up Illusion while you're at it.

Control strategies are useful against bosses but Illusory Barrier is not the way to go about it. It is useless against melee bosses and most ranged bosses can Fly or Teleport over anything you put out. Illusion is mostly useful for completing difficult quests against ranged mobs. Otherwise, would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None
    peonprop's review is pretty good, but it is worth noting that illusion also shines in some of the constructed leagues - notably death march.
    The common downside that is pointed out for illusion is that it requires you to do with out a (likely) damage dealing staff. The only substitute that I have used for this is three copies of Phantom Pain - but you are then losing the ability to use more control based arcane items; so there is always a counterpoint. And getting three phantom pains is no easy task either! But it is undeniable that illusion does what no other items does, by packing lots of barriers on a a staff.
    I have 4, bought my first one, used lots, I would purchase if you want barrier...

Epic:
    Command Stone
    One of the few dedicated control items for a major... but if I was going for Hypnotic Beacon, I would get Pipes Of Hamelin for two copies

Flexible Tactics
    I find Advanced Battlefield Training hard to get good value from... and then there is the Flimsy Block

Red John's Boots
    I prefer Mouse Boots for epic Flanking Move

Notable Rares: Lots today!
    Copper Zapping Wand strong early tokenless damage
    Drow Rapidity nice tokenless item
    Focused Pyromancy essential for burning wizards
    Nuclear Pistol easy source of Volcano
    Ravager's Cudgel strong howl item, with useful attacks
    Shielding Warp Boots only way to get Force Field on boots, only way to get it for a minor

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Sir Veza likes this.
  16. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Svitlana's Scythe
    A rare unreviewed item!
    On the face of it this looks like a decent item... it is tokenless, and with no terrible cards - the worst one being the Able Bludgeon. However, it doesn't quite perform as well as it looks. Warding Lance is the big draw of this item, but it just plays a bit weak and you are reliant on the opponent having some non direct damage attacks. Really only burning wizards fit the bill in MP. Even if you catch someone with nightling on, you are only going to get maximum 7 damage, and the rest of the cards are 5 damage. So it just ends up being a bit of a weak item with limited upside. Even with the two extra blocks - I would probably go for Blazing Shortsword as there is so much more damage potential.
    I have one, never purchased, barely used, would not purchase...

Epics:
    Battered Holy Mail
    Nothing battered about this one, a good priest armor. But I would probably prefer....

Cintxotl Mail
    because the third card is better.

Xek's Nanocarbon Plate
    A decent substitute until The Softener comes along

Notable rares:
    Monsterbane Axe - perfect way to beef up your priest
    Spell Stripper Relic - best purging item

Sir Veza likes this.
  17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Or Deadly, Deadly Staff, which also gets regular play (but not enough to change the overall assessment).

mckeen likes this.
  18. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

19. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Phantom Pain
    See the review for Illusion from a few days ago. This is the alternative source of barriers that is widely used, and the most token efficient. It does what no other card does and that is often reason enough to buy a legendary. Illusory Barrier is the best way to stop other wizards as it shuts them down without compromising your offensive options. The addition of difficult terrain for your opponent is also an underrated secondary effect and means that the card is not completely dead, even if you're facing no wizards. By getting your barriers on your arcane items, that saves you staff slots to be used for damage dealing options. But, as I noted a couple of days ago, that decreases your options for control items that might other wise be in your arcane item slots. As an aside, my current three wizard team that I roll out when the maps are suitable uses three phantom pains on single character.
    It is worth noting that Path Of Knives comes with some additional risks these days. If there is Vengeance in your opponents deck, they can use this to bounce all the way over to your comparatively squishy wizards. Something to consider when playing it...
    I have three of these, bought two, used quite a bit, I would recommend multiple copies...

Epics:
    Argo's Boots
    I have really gone off Officer's Harness recently, more often than not it is a wasted draw, and the armor effect is practically worthless. The best thing it is good for is being a discard from Wild Run!

Kroll's Laser Rifle
    Interesting item, best source of Spreading Laser... probably deserves more love than it gets.

Staff Of Immolation
    Ember Burst is great, but the other cards make this unplayable.

Notable Rares:
    Ancient Linestaff respectable damage, if only acid was a bit stronger
    Argy Bargy Brand Sneakers unique Aloyzo item
    Ascendant Dervish good source of Flight Aura, I use a lot in several constructed leagues
    Infused Greatclub top heavy, but very high average damage for double minor tokens

Sir Veza likes this.
  20. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

It does not get removed.

ParodyKnaveBob, mckeen and Sir Veza like this.