The Animation Thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LeisureSuitLoli, Feb 19, 2014.

1. That depends on your viewpoint. If you are referring to the subject matter as being low, then you could be right. Then again, there are many series in many countries that copy the X-Men formula. As long as it is not word for word it can given some leeway.

Adaptations not following the source materials can be a bit off-putting. Earlier I finally decided to watch the animated version of Eden's Bowy. I can safely say that it is a very, very loose adaptation of the manga.

[​IMG]
    Pictured: The closest thing the anime follows to the original manga.

You don't need to follow the source to make a good show, as evidenced by Golden Boy in which the anime is far and away superior, or Excel Saga which just drops everything to make a wacky series.

Phaselock likes this.
  2. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

My summer break from CardHunter involved some classics binging...

Avatar: TLA - I only made three mental edits to the plot, which is impressive for such a long series! Excellent high fantasy world building and rounded characterization (except for Aang). A decent balance between light-hearted fare and serious stuff, though it was often obviously/painfully aimed at a young age bracket. Katara deserved better than Aang... /ducks
    Avatar: LoK - meh... it was ok for the first season, but the characters are flat and the plots are both too brief and non-sensical. Still watching on momentum, though.
    Serei no Moribito - Serious / realistic with a dash of fantasy. Beautiful scenery, landscapes, and architecture! I wish they had developed certain elements slightly further (especially from the tiger episode), but overall it was excellently thoughtful, mature fare. The scene in the swordsmith's shop was masterfully crafted.
    GITS / SAC / 2nd GIG - the movie was rather muddled and brief, SAC was great, and 2nd GIG even better, though they hovered just at the edge of gratuitousness and occasionally crossed over. Also, the forays into computer networks were unintentionally hilarious, as were the occasional philosophical detours (lulz @ anything rooted in Cartesian dualism! /ducks)

Teh internetz appears to be telling me to watch Juuni Kokuki next, but are there any other suggestions for thoughtful, character-heavy series, whatever the setting?

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Simoun fits that bill.

On my end, after ... 8 years? of being told that Mushi-shi was the show for me, I've finally started watching it. It's sublime.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Simoun feels more yuri to me than thoughtful, character-heavy., shrugs...

Reminds me of Natsume Yuujinchou. :)

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Really? Simoun doesn't feel like girls' love to me at all, more like gender deconstructionist and anti-religion than anything. But I know when it aired everyone lost their **** over girls kissing and it never got taken as seriously as it should have been :(

LeisureSuitLoli and Phaselock like this.
  6. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Yes second this. Natsume Yuujinchou is great!

7. The animation was nice but the whole plot could have gone a much better way. You get better girls love from Soukou no Strain.

8. "The Gamer" is a Korean comic about a guy who's life suddenly becomes that of an RPG. It might sound a bit lame but trust me, it is a very nice comic to read (I wont post something that I think people will despise). It is an ongoing comic, so you expect to be left hanging.
    [​IMG]

9. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I've always said that life is a game :)

10. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I've been recently rewatching my collection of Studio Ghibli movies, and they're still as good as the first time I saw them. Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, and Porco Rosso are definitely my favorites among them, though.

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

12. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Dropping by to mention that my list of must-see anime series has been extended to include Planetes.

Planetes probably would have stood right next to Cowboy Bebop, except that the ending is a bit weak. I need to go read the manga, as the internet says it trends towards more philosophical / less political.

The multi-episode "climax" of the series is mostly an action-laden distraction from the wonderful character development and world-building throughout the rest of the series, and then the final episode wraps everything up in a happy, tidy bow while ignoring all the beautifully-constructed-but-still-unresolved tensions between and within characters. Hachimaki's final "epiphany" was also a dumb letdown after the subtlety and depth of the rest of the series.

It's really too bad that the writer wasn't willing to let Tanabe die on the moon (with Claire maybe/maybe not surviving). It felt like everything in the series was leading up to the question "And what happens when love dies?", but it flinched at the last moment.

Hinata really should have died when she fought Pain, and Rinne Tensei is really really dumb. Again, flinching from the question.

Part of the reason Cowboy Bebop is better than Samurai Champloo is because Watanabe was willing to kill off characters when the time came.

It would have been splendid to look the question straight in the face, and it would also have complemented Hachimaki's arc, leaving him to choose more explicitly between turning back towards Earth / the memory of Tanabe, or abandoning himself to Jupiter / egotism, rather than the half-baked "both!" he ends up with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Bandreus and LeisureSuitLoli like this.
  13. Space themed titles... Have you tried Crest of the Stars? The first couple of episodes are very slow in order to get most of the characters introduced and plotlines set up. After that it gets good.

neoncat likes this.
  14. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Hrrm.... I should really find myself an anime forum.** But anyways, I've hit a streak of good stuff and thought I would drop by with the definitive list of the bestest-best-anime-series-I-have-watched. New additions marked with (+). And may the further recommendations flow! :D

Tier 1 - artistically and thematically brilliant! and I probably cried a bit... <_<
    Cowboy Bebop
    GitS: SAC / 2nd GIG
    Seirei no Moribito
    + Dennou Coil - [Isako, whyyyy?? *sniffle*; it never ends... it just keeps dragging you forward, bleary-eyed and heart-broken]

Tier 2 - excellent, despite some flaws! and I probably also cried a bit... >_>
    Planetes
    + Mushishi - [super mellow, but incredibly varied storytelling]
    + Haibane Renmei - [Fuu, Reki, whyyyy??? *sniffle*; another one that just keeps dragging you forward, bleary-eyed and heart-broken...]
    Samurai Champloo

Tier 3 - great for rounding out your anime experience! I don't think I cried... probably... <_<
    + Eve no Jikan - [light-hearted, soft sci-fi about androids and humans; really short]
    + Crest of the Stars - [light space fantasy, themes and art were slightly obscure/fluffy, but overall a pleasant tale]
    Neon Genesis Evangelion

Stuff I couldn't stand
    Twelve Kingdoms
    Vision of Escaflowne
    Ruroni Kenshin
    Yomigaeru Sora Rescue Wings
    Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/[insert your favorite anime here] :D

** preferably one that doesn't make me want to wash out my computer with soap >_<

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Finally watching this after like 8 years of MyAnimeList.net telling me it was The Show for me to watch. And hey, it is! It's hella good. Mellow is my alley. My favorite series is Aria; YKK is high up there. Mushishi is everything I need in a show.

This was a fantastic show IMO. Starting from the first scene when they're on the bus and the younger sister dumps her luggage through the holodog. One of the series I've seen with the most heart and thought put into it. And I've seen a lot.

Those don't exist.

neoncat likes this.
  16. Wanna bet?

Green Green, Apocalypse Zero, Genocyber, etc.

neoncat likes this.
  17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't know which part of my comment you misinterpreted, but your response is a complete non sequitur >_>

neoncat likes this.
  18. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

You might be interested to know that Gits: arise is going to air a month from now as Koukaku Kidoutai Arise: Alternative Architecture. Which happens to coincide with a few other good ones as well (Fate/stay nights, sidonia knights etc).

neoncat likes this.
  19. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Dutifully reporting in on my lastest foray: So Ra No Wo To

The Verdict: decent, but no moe! *badum-ch* :eek:

This was mostly an experiment, and it turns out that the only way I could stand the first half of the series was by drinking. (Fortunately, I had some rum and whiskey that needed sampling. ^_^) The second half was better, once things took something of a turn for the depressing realistic at-least-not-ridiculously-cutesy and the characters developed ever-so-slightly beyond caricatures. The whole thing was formulaic, but whatevs... I did really like the world, and wish it could have been more thoroughly explored.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, the world was the strongest point after you discount Yamakan's theft of Kyoto Animation's style, which of course his colleagues produce very nicely. The show looks good. Better show about tanks, btw, is Girls Und PANZER.