The Animation Thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LeisureSuitLoli, Feb 19, 2014.

1. illkkill

illkkill Mushroom Warrior

I didn't watch attack on the titens because of the action. I watch it because the story is interesting plus the characters are developed! Anyway.... Not really want to argue with you in anime preferances... I'll try watching some of the romantic animes you suggested just to change the pace once in a while

Phaselock likes this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hm. I've heard that "story is interesting" bit a few times before, so maybe there's something to it... And maybe my problem with that idea is just that I'm too genre savvy?

While watching the first episode, I turned to the friends who were showing it to me, and was like "So..." and basically predicted everything about the nature of the titans and who was who and all that, and my friends kind of shifted uncomfortably in their seats and I gave the show another dozen or so episodes out of courtesy but I'm still laughing recalling how hilariously predictable the series was.

p.s. romantic animes I suggested? We have very different ideas of what "romantic" means I guess! Anyway, it's nice talking about these things.

3. illkkill

illkkill Mushroom Warrior

Cool story bro...

4. Hopefully nobody is losing sleep watching Monster (which I did).

Some personal favorites:
    School Rumble, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Candy Boy, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Minami-ke, UFO Princess Valkyrie.

illkkill likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

CANDY BOY???????????? OMG I thought I was the only person in the world who watched that ****. :)

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  6. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

If you are interested, there's also the manga Attack On Titan - Before The Fall by the same artist. :) I find the manga for this series better than the anime itself...largely due to the drawing style that brings out the harshness... enjoy ! :)

illkkill likes this.
  7. kogi

kogi Ogre

Loved that. I also remember Read or Die

Anyone know when will we get to see the Lupin vs Conan and the Hunter X Hunter Movie?

8. You might like Crest of Stars. It starts out slow but gets much better. It suffers from a lame English dub, so you're better off with the subtitled version.

illkkill and Flaxative like this.
  9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

The first disc of the Berserk OVA series was very good. Waiting till the 3rd disc is out before starting on the second one (which should be soon).

10. A low budget (but adorable) sci-fi anime would be Chobits. This one also has a poor dub, and by that I mean the English voice for Chii ruins it. The other voices are well chosen.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Chii turns on
    Chii turns off

12. Some quick reviews.

Queen's Blade has fantasy, action, and fanservice aplenty.
    Kanokon has fanservice, comedy, fanservice, fantasy, and fanservice.
    Ah! My Goddess has fantasy, comedy, slow romance, and likable characters.
    Genshiken is a comedy that is full of awesome.
    K-On! is a moe-blob slice of life anime with quite boring music.
    Lovely Complex is a rather nice and simple show.
    Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu a girl who's personal problems could spell doom for the universe.

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The low production values, combined with the inconsistent art design (if I recall correctly, the character design work for the QB franchise is distributed amongst a plethora of artists), killed this one for me. If the fights had been more interesting it might have been saved, but I still wonder why I finished it.
    Comedy? I'll take your word for it. But man, I just went back and read the post on my blog in which I discussed the first episode of Kanokon. Comedy :)
    I've only ever watched one AMG thing, I think it was the first thing. I was impressed, maybe because my expectations were super low. Or maybe it was just a decently good thing.
    I loved this back in high school. I don't know if it would hold up if I went back to it right now, but it's super self-referential and it gives some insight into an intricate and intricately twisted world. I'd definitely recommend it to someone who wants some laughs.
    K-On! was weird. The first season ("K-On!") was slow and pleasant but also dumb and largely uninteresting. Every exchange between characters felt formulaic, repeating the format of the manga whence the show. (For those not in the know, K-On! was a "4-koma" manga, which is a fairly straightforward format in which the story is divided into 4-panel segments that all kind of follow the same structure.) Anyway, the amazing thing for me was that the second season ("K-On!!") was totally different. The anime made a huge departure from the manga, dropped the formulaic pacing, and became incredibly touching. It's one of my favorite shows of all time. It really makes you love the characters and care for their struggles and successes.
    I feel like I've seen a show with this title. When I search it up on Google Image Search, I feel like I've seen a show with these character designs. Not sure if memory fuzzy, or LovCon super generic.
    I have a complicated relationship with Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. I despised it when it was airing, because all these fools were bandwagoning in its support. The aniblogosphere was all into that ****, and Jason Miao and his cronies were trying to coin tasteless terms for the show's "inventions." I fought back against it all and struck out on my own into a deep and dark place of hatred. Then the concert episode aired. I'll never forget it, never forget the moment I watched it, in early summer 2006. I know exactly where I was, what time of day it was. My world slowed to a halt. The instruments were moving; the characters were manipulating them. I'd seen my share of beautiful animation in movies, and Last Exile had been pretty in its own way, but this was above and beyond anything I'd ever seen in a TV series. Kyoto Animation has been blowing minds ever since. (Not to say that Fumoffu wasn't decent for its time, or that AIR wasn't gorgeous barring its character designs.) But the Haruhi story goes on... loved Endless Eight and Disappearance, thought those were both really solid animated works. Still torn on the original series, but eh. We don't need to have all the answers.

14. Struck a chord with you on Haruhi, Flaxative?

Let's delve into some lesser known anime.

Devilman Lady was... interesting. It is a far cry from the manga (which in this case is a VERY good thing) and the anime has some bits of Yuri to spice things up.
    Battle Programmer Shirase was a nice comedy. Though there are bits of loli thrown in which really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Dirty Pair (the original) was a somewhat mediocre sci-fi anime adaptation.
    Magic Users Club - Comedy, magic, slight fanservice here and there, an all around nice title to watch.
    Patlabor is about a mechanized police force. Some slow episodes can turn some off to this show.
    Murder Princess - I remember when these OVAs were first being distributed. It wasn't the greatest of anime but it kept my interests. Months passed as new episodes slowly made their way into the world until the final episode was released. The ending was a big letdown.
    Tokyo Godfathers is a movie that is filled with greatness. I watched it over at my eldest brother's home many years back and we both fell in love with it.
    Nightwalker - A 90's anime about vampires. Even though there is homo-eroticism with the vampires it is still less gay than Twilight.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

>_>
    Oh man, was that the anime where some super genius hacker's secret technique for hacking faster was plugging more keyboards into his computer?

16. Anime to avoid:
    Lucky Star - BORING. It lacks the wit, humor, and charm of other much better school related anime like Azumanga Daioh.
    Aria the Scarlet Ammo - If you love clichéd anime then this one is for you. Bland male lead, a flat chested zettai ryouiki schoolgirl who misunderstands every situation, boring plot, etc.
    Eiken - It takes a lot to disgust me enough to stop watching a show. It is an anime with women who suffer from gigantic tumors where their breasts should be located.

Flaxative likes this.
  17. We share the same love for that.
    There is one scene in Disappearance that sticks with me more than any other in that movie (besides the extremely huggable Yuki), the part where they are all gathered around the old computer. For some reason that one scene is buried in my heart.

For those wondering, "Huh?"
    The English dubbed version of the movie, and the Subtitled version of the movie (my personal pick).

Other great anime movies:
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. This image sums up the whole thing:
    [​IMG]
    Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer - This movie was written and directed by Mamoru Oshii, so it is a trip into the human mind and consciousness. It is also a nice movie.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

I
    HAVE
    POSTED!!
    [​IMG]

19. Some manga:

If you liked the old Tales From the Crypt comics and HBO show, then Franken Fran is something you might want to take a glance at.

Eden's Bowy has action, fantasy, bits of fanservice here and there, likable characters, and a cute lil' elf girl.
    [​IMG]

20. *The 90's Godzilla the animated series was worlds better than the movie of the same decade.
    *Men in Black was a nice show for the episodes I actually was able to watch.
    2 Stupid Dogs was enjoyable.
    *Eek the Cat actually had some great writing.

Other shows watched: Life with Louie, Disney's Recess, The Wacky World of Tex Avery, Samurai Pizza Cats.